• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

keniget

6CM Addict
Administrator
I'm normally quite miserly in my praise and it may all still go horribly wrong (probably will) but for now, I'm pretty impressed by our squad.

At the start of Jan, like many others, I was really hoping we'd use the transfer market to ensure that mistakes of the past were not repeated and our season was not derailed by injuries and absences.

Fair play to Klopp and the squad though, they've not missed a beat.

Jota has really stepped it up and looks to be relishing being more of the main man in Salah's absence.

Gomez has continued to ensure we don't miss Robertson or Tsimikas (or even think about them if we're honest).

Bradley has come in and impressed.

Quansah quietly gaining more experience.

And now Szobo is back, TAA and Robertson are being eased back in... not much longer before Endo and Salah are back.

NICE!

I'd like a little more quality up front. But if the midfield keeps strangling teams like they did today then it really isnt necessary.

I was thinking about our post-Salah life. We can manage. Bradley RB, Trent RM, Slob RF. We seem to be stepping up. Maybe we should take the Saudi money next time? And reinforce?
PS - I know Salah is a ledge, just putting it out there.

Yeah - it’s very easy to get caught up in the “we need to buy players” thing - just ask Bluebell.

Sometimes the answers are under your nose.

We’ve been cultivating this group of kids for a few years now, they all have been involved in squads and training for years with some of them getting good loan experience.

Remember, Bradley had his debut in the Champions Lesgue 2 seasons ago.

I’m a big believer in consistency and not chopping and changing your squad too much - improve where you can, but if you have good kids coming through that you’ve been embedding for years, it’s easier for them to slot in that someone else who has to learn how his colleagues operate.

I think it’s great - young Clark looks like he’s close to breaking through to feature regularly from the bench and with Morton doing so well and McConnell starting to show an aptitude our midfield looks well set now.

We could do with some of our young forwards breaking through?

It's funny how quickly things can and do change, they'll be a new thread in a few months time expressing the exact the opposite and round and round we go.

We have quality all over the pitch, the only ever concern was the depth when you factor in the inevitable injuries we suffer every season. Our best XI still goes toe to toe with them all and beats anyone on their day.

I was asking us to sign another RB in the summer in order to let Trent play further forward. Didn't think Bradley was ready, but what do I know. Bradley ftw and money saved.

Did Nunez hit bar/post 4 times?
I only saw three I think.
First half, curled shot saved by the keeper
Penalty
Header in the second half

I think we need to be careful against Arsenal, I'd go experience. Apart from Bradley, I think he's ready and able. But, Trent, if ready, needs to play somewhere. To leave him out would be madness.

Ali
Gomez, Konate, VVD, Bradley
Jones, MacAllister, Trent
Nunez, Jota, Slob

Did Nunez hit bar/post 4 times?
I only saw three I think.
First half, curled shot saved by the keeper
Penalty
Header in the second half
Yes 4.

Another 25 yarder which grazed the top of the bar.

It's official, he's the unluckiest striker in the world. No doubt in my mind. Still a terrific performance, beautiful assist to Diaz.

I'd like a little more quality up front. But if the midfield keeps strangling teams like they did today then it really isnt necessary.

Yeah, I think forward line is one of the more obvious areas to buy for. We are getting it done at the moment but think how much better we’d be with a prime “insert name of former Liverpool great here”.

We need a Salah successor, I think and a CB to replace Matip. Maybe a LB in a year or two and a DM too unless, Bajcetic steps up

I don't think so. The difference between us and City has regularly been De Bruyne/Gundohan. Not a player like Haaland. I think we're equipped up front, we score well. But KDB would win anyone the title. I happen to think we're in good shape. We could sign Toney, who's mustard admittedly, but would it make a difference?

We’re all gonna be calling for another CB and back up RW in summer, perhaps a DM too….won’t sign any then some other kid from the academy will step in and perform like Quansah has this season, Morton will turn into prime Kimmich and Doak will step up and score/assist about 10 goals by Christmas and we’ll all be made to look like twats again.

Yeah - it’s very easy to get caught up in the “we need to buy players” thing - just ask Bluebell.

Sometimes the answers are under your nose.

We’ve been cultivating this group of kids for a few years now, they all have been involved in squads and training for years with some of them getting good loan experience.

Remember, Bradley had his debut in the Champions Lesgue 2 seasons ago.

I’m a big believer in consistency and not chopping and changing your squad too much - improve where you can, but if you have good kids coming through that you’ve been embedding for years, it’s easier for them to slot in that someone else who has to learn how his colleagues operate.

I think it’s great - young Clark looks like he’s close to breaking through to feature regularly from the bench and with Morton doing so well and McConnell starting to show an aptitude our midfield looks well set now.

We could do with some of our young forwards breaking through?

Doak and Kaide Gordon are still mega-talented. If Gordon is over the injury/growing pains then I'd expect at least one of the two to make it.

Yet again I've been from doubter to believer. There's just so much praise to go around.

Klopp for becoming tactically flexible, exploiting the five sub ruling better than anyone, and rebuilding this squad amazingly without an established SD for one last hurrah.

Gomez and VVD for releasing the shackles of long term injury and showing their class again.

The boundless energy and eternal optimism of Darwin Nunez.

Bradley and Quansah for stepping into the first team like Dons

Szoboszlai and Mac Allister settling in quickly making an impact from the get go.

Salah from morphing away from a cut inside merchant to an outstanding creator.

Jota and Konate are keeping fit and are raising their levels.

The rotation players for never complaining and consistently delivering in cups and off the bench.

Things couldn't be going much better, and there's still Robbo, Trent, Thaigo and Salah to come back into the mix. Let's just hope it's enough come May. Klopp deserves the title, but importantly this fanbase deserves to see a title celebrated more than anyone else.

I think we need to be careful against Arsenal, I'd go experience. Apart from Bradley, I think he's ready and able. But, Trent, if ready, needs to play somewhere. To leave him out would be madness.

Ali
Gomez, Konate, VVD, Bradley
Jones, MacAllister, Trent
Nunez, Jota, Slob
There's absolutely no way we start messing around with the formation like that for an away game against one of our biggest challengers. Starting Szobo in a position we've never played him (and when he's slower than both of the other options) when Diaz played very well yesterday and Nunez is great at LW too?

Yes 4.

Another 25 yarder which grazed the top of the bar.

It's official, he's the unluckiest striker in the world. No doubt in my mind. Still a terrific performance, beautiful assist to Diaz.
Shocking luck TBH. Nice tip onto the bar, lovely save to deflect the ball onto the post, the header - he should have scored, and the penalty came back at a sharper angle than he hit it - meaning it was within an inch or two of going in. Tough.

Last edited:
Is it a bunch of players all punching above their weight though?

It's an incredible amount of confidence oozing through the team and their performances have been brilliant.

Just wonder if they can keep it going till the end of year.

It's an incredible amount of confidence oozing through the team and their performances have been brilliant.

It’s a fair question, it in some cases I’d almost argue we’re punching below our weight and there’s more to come.

It’s the consistency I’m loving.

And really, I'm wondering if another manager can come in continue to produce quality players and make the mentality monsters keep on performing.

It’s a fair question, it in some cases I’d almost argue we’re punching below our weight and there’s more to come.

It’s the consistency I’m loving.

We absolutely are NOT playing above ourselves, in fact I think we're just starting to hit our stride now. I've mentioned this a few times over the past 2-3 months: this team had a completely new midfield and had to learn how to play with each other with the new players learning how to adjust to Klopp's tactics. Injuries meant the defence has often been 'suboptimal' (though didn't perform like it).

This squad has more gears to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom