• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

The Suarez/Evra Racism Row

Have players come out and said anything about Suarez? I mean they wore the t-shirts in support of him, and I vaguely remember someone saying that they don't think he's a racist. But no one has said he didn't say what Evra says he said either.

I suppose the only people that really know what Suarez said are himself and Evra.

Maybe that's why nobody has come out and said one way or the other?

Or maybe it's because nobody likes Evra, and nobody feels like sticking up for him?

I don't know really to be honest...

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=47188.msg1461028#msg1461028 date=1326192268]
[quote author=Sunny link=topic=47188.msg1461024#msg1461024 date=1326192037]
No-one has to participate in the debate Neil. It's still a conveniently overlooked fact. Mind you, there's been so many, on both sides of the argument.
[/quote]

it rather annoying that evra is qouted as insulting suarez but only suarez is banned. it seems you can insult someone's country with impunity but not their race.
[/quote]

If Suarez had made a complaint I'm sure Evra would have been banned too, but he didn't.

[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=47188.msg1461029#msg1461029 date=1326192282]
Have players come out and said anything about Suarez? I mean they wore the t-shirts in support of him, and I vaguely remember someone saying that they don't think he's a racist. [/quote]

GJ - 'I'll support who I want, when I want

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=47188.msg1461035#msg1461035 date=1326192492]
[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=47188.msg1461029#msg1461029 date=1326192282]
Have players come out and said anything about Suarez? I mean they wore the t-shirts in support of him, and I vaguely remember someone saying that they don't think he's a racist. [/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, he'll support Suarez as a person, doesn't mean he's denying what Suarez is supposed to have said.

Have players come out and said anything about Suarez?
[/quote]

Reina, Johnson, Lugano, Pereira, Poyet are all ones who spring to mind immediately. Kenny Dalglish has also but it seems some think less of his opinion these days.

[quote author=Jack D Rips link=topic=47188.msg1461027#msg1461027 date=1326192191]
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=47188.msg1461016#msg1461016 date=1326191276]
None of Evra's teammates backed him up. Even after the FA took them through their evidence again, all they came up with was what Evra himself told them afterwards, and they gave four different accounts of THAT, including an admission from Nani that he couldn't remember any of it.
[/quote]

If you re read my post JJ you will see that thats what I said.
[/quote]

Indeed, Jack. Insofar as my post was aimed at any particular poster it was aimed at tony, not at you.

[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=47188.msg1461039#msg1461039 date=1326192583]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=47188.msg1461035#msg1461035 date=1326192492]

[/quote]

Yeah, he'll support Suarez as a person, doesn't mean he's denying what Suarez is supposed to have said.
[/quote]

It does mean he's denying what Suarez is supposed to have meant by it.

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=47188.msg1461019#msg1461019 date=1326191422]
Everyone seems to be missing the fact that no players (none that I can think of) have come out and backed Evra publicly in all this. Wonder why that is ?
[/quote]

Could be a whole bunch of reasons, they didnt hear it.... the omerta of what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch.... because they were allowing the FA to do its job.... because its cut and dried and needs no further comment.... could be fucking anything couldnt it.

This conspiracy theory stuff as though all this has just been attack from the FA onto the player and the club is just tosh IMO. I just do not buy that the reason Suarez is banned is because Man U have lots of sway with the FA and we don't and Blatter is a dinosaur yadda yadda yadda....he's got previous It's a fit up guv.... look at him on the panel he was eating a prawn cocktail in the Bobby Charlton suite!...Fucking Bollox.

It's just fucking bollox.

Wake up smell the fucking coffee and know when you are beaten for fucks sake. We didnt just lose the battle but we made fucking sure we lost the war and all this frankly embarrassing whinging and griping and sniping is just dragging our dead corpse through the fucking shit some more and I just wish somebody at the club would have some fucking class and put a stop to it.

If on day 1 we'd have handled it with a bit more class and avoided the all too innocent indignation then this shit storm wouldnt be anywhere near what it is.

So why has nobody backed Evra publically??? FUCK KNOWS..... Perhaps nobody is backing Evra because he's on a one man righteous racist witchhunt out to assert his keenly felt sense of black power and rights.... yeah thats gotta be it....and everone knows he's too touchy about it so say nothing... Fuck me that beggars belief. Maybe he's into big Juju magic and they are all scared he'll turn them into a zombie left to walk the earth at night half alive half dead.

I tell you what if I was Fergie I would be being a right cunt about it too....a double cunt in fact, I would publically demand an apology and put the cat among the pigeons good and proper.

Peace talks?? Fuck off.... what have LFC done to actually assuage any grievance?

LFC have been fucking amateur, Ludicrous even, plain fucking daft and the defense is bordering on the insane, its moved onto a whole new level of embarrassment.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=47188.msg1461044#msg1461044 date=1326192785]
[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=47188.msg1461039#msg1461039 date=1326192583]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It does mean he's denying what Suarez is supposed to have meant by it.
[/quote]

As I've said, I agree if we're referring to the one comment Suarez has admitted to. I just don't believe that's all that was said, but you and everyone else backing him does. That's not going to change.

[/quote]

That's not what I'm getting at Gerry. Suarez admitted what he DID say and based on that I can understand, to a technical level, why he got banned albeit to a draconian level. The fact is no-one is speaking up in support of Evra whereas plenty are for Suarez. I believe Evra has lied extensively in this issue I really hope it does come out. John Aldridge has hinted as much

x2_a4b4d3b

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=47188.msg1461028#msg1461028 date=1326192268]
[quote author=Sunny link=topic=47188.msg1461024#msg1461024 date=1326192037]
No-one has to participate in the debate Neil. It's still a conveniently overlooked fact. Mind you, there's been so many, on both sides of the argument.
[/quote]

it rather annoying that evra is qouted as insulting suarez but only suarez is banned. it seems you can insult someone's country with impunity but not their race.
[/quote]

Agree, and that kind of imbalance (besides being wrong in itself) is Route One to damaging the cause of anti-racism. If you are going to treat prejudice as an aggravating factor in aggressive behaviour, you can't justifiably pick and choose which prejudices to include or exclude.

Suarez wasn't banned for what he admitted to though, he was banned, based on the evidence, for what Evra claims he said.

Edit: Although he may well have ended up been banned for the single remark too, if that had been the only one.

[quote author=Molbystwin link=topic=47188.msg1461045#msg1461045 date=1326192793]
Everyone seems to be missing the fact that no players (none that I can think of) have come out and backed Evra publicly in all this. Wonder why that is ?
[/quote]

Could be a whole bunch of reasons, they didnt hear it.... the omerta of what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch.... because they were allowing the FA to do its job.... because its cut and dried and needs no further comment.... could be fucking anything couldnt it.

This conspiracy theory stuff as though all this has just been attack from the FA onto the player and the club is just tosh IMO. I just do not buy that the reason Suarez is banned is because Man U have lots of sway with the FA and we don't and Blatter is a dinosaur yadda yadda yadda....he's got previous It's a fit up guv.... look at him on the panel he was eating a prawn cocktail in the Bobby Charlton suite!...Fucking Bollox.

Wake up smell the fucking coffee and know when you are beaten for fucks sake. We didnt just lose the battle but we made fucking sure we lost the war and all this frankly embarrassing whinging and griping and sniping is just dragging our dead corpse through the fucking shit some more and I just wish somebody at the club would have some fucking class and put a stop to it.

If on day 1 we'd have handled it with a bit more class and avoided the all too innocent indignation then this shit storm wouldnt be anywhere near what it is.

So why has nobody backed Evra publically??? FUCK KNOWS..... Perhaps nobody is backing Evra because he's on a one man righteous racist witchhunt out to assert his keenly felt sense of black power and rights.... yeah thats gotta be it....and everone knows he's too touchy about it so say nothing... Fuck me that beggars belief. Maybe he's into big Juju magic and they are all scared he'll turn them into a zombie left to walk the earth at night half alive half dead.

I tell you what if I was Fergie I would be being a right cunt about it too....a double cunt in fact, I would publically demand an apology and put the cat among the pigeons good and proper.

Peace talks?? Fuck off.... what have LFC done to actually assuage any grievance?

LFC have been fucking amateur, Ludicrous even, plain fucking daft and the defense is bordering on the insane, its moved onto a whole new level of embarrassment.
[/quote]

Nice rational post Molby. Having a bit of Downing moment are we ?

[quote author=Molbystwin link=topic=47188.msg1461045#msg1461045 date=1326192793]
[/quote]

[/quote]

That's a ridiculous rant, unworthy of a normally reasonable poster (though very worthy of the redtops).

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=47188.msg1461053#msg1461053 date=1326193118]
'evidence'
[/quote]

Well, yeah, but on the little evidence they had, they tried to make a best guess as to what happened. They banned him based on that, not on the one remark he admitted to.

[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=47188.msg1461055#msg1461055 date=1326193173]
[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=47188.msg1461053#msg1461053 date=1326193118]
'evidence'
[/quote]

Well, yeah, but on the little evidence they had, they tried to make a best guess as to what happened. They banned him based on that, not on the one remark he admitted to.
[/quote]

Which some agree with and some don't - especially the way evidence of both sides was regarded by the panel in completely different ways . Look, I fully admit the club handled this badly, terribly in fact but all I'm saying is there are perhaps very condemning reasons why the club has acted in this way in it's vehement support of Suarez. That doesn't make the way it was handled right by any means but does somewhat mitigate the reaction in my eyes. What certainly isn't right is the way this tribunal was carried out - that absolutely stinks.

Rant I grant you but it's genuinely how I feel about it.

I'm just tired of this shit folks really fucking tired of it, he got done, it is done.

It's too much lads, it's too indignant, it's too far generally here we are lashing out at the injustice of it all etc...everyone is guilty in fucking us over etc etc... For fucks sake just leave it.

The only way for this shit to stop is too make a genuine apology to at least try and remove some of the shit of our face and then we can all move on and the sooner all of us wake up to that the better.

Im sorry I really am.... I'm just .... I dont know.... enough already.

[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=47188.msg1461055#msg1461055 date=1326193173]
'evidence'
[/quote]

[/quote]

"Best guess" is not NEARLY good enough to condemn a man of an offence, or wouldn't be in a properly regulated system.

Yeah, I mostly agree(edit with Sunny's post). But I do think now it's best left behind us though. I don't think anything would be gained by taking this any further.

I just hope the next time some other player is accused of "abuse with reference to race", they will be dealt with as harshly as Suarez. And it will cut out any of this kind of abuse on the pitch, there is evidently a problem with it (Suarez is most likely not a major part of it), and hopefully Suarez's treatment will help eradicate it.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=47188.msg1461059#msg1461059 date=1326193568]
'evidence'
[/quote]

[/quote]

"Best guess" is not NEARLY good enough to condemn a man of an offence, or wouldn't be in a properly regulated system.
[/quote]

He's not gone to prison, he misses a few games of football, and if it helps with the racism problem in football, then it's no big deal. People are talking as if this is life or death, missing a few games of football is not the end of the world.

[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=47188.msg1461060#msg1461060 date=1326193652]
Yeah, I mostly agree. But I do think now it's best left behind us though. I don't think anything would be gained by taking this any further.

I just hope the next time some other player is accused of "abuse with reference to race", they will be dealt with as harshly as Suarez. And it will cut out any of this kind of abuse on the pitch, there is evidently a problem with it (Suarez is most likely not a major part of it), and hopefully Suarez's treatment will help eradicate it.
[/quote]

Fair enough Gerry, I think the soak test will come when we see how Terry is dealt with - both by the FA and media.

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=47188.msg1461057#msg1461057 date=1326193380]
'evidence'
[/quote]

[/quote]

Which some agree with and some don't - especially the way evidence of both sides was regarded by the panel in completely different ways . Look, I fully admit the club handled this badly, terribly in fact but all I'm saying is there are perhaps very condemning reasons why the club has acted in this way in it's vehement support of Suarez. That doesn't make the way it was handled right by any means but does somewhat mitigate the reaction in my eyes. What certainly isn't right is the way this tribunal was carried out - that absolutely stinks.
[/quote]

Yeah we fucked most of this up, but I think most of our fuck ups have come from our complete and utter indignation at the whole thing. This indignation is borne of the fact that people in LFC seem to *know* Evra has completely misrepresented what happened that day.

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=47188.msg1461062#msg1461062 date=1326193752]
[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=47188.msg1461060#msg1461060 date=1326193652]
Yeah, I mostly agree. But I do think now it's best left behind us though. I don't think anything would be gained by taking this any further.

[/quote]

Fair enough Gerry, I think the soak test will come when we see how Terry is dealt with - both by the FA and media.
[/quote]

Yep, that's what I'm waiting for. For me, that's a way more cut and dry case.

[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=47188.msg1461061#msg1461061 date=1326193723]
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=47188.msg1461059#msg1461059 date=1326193568]
'evidence'
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He's not gone to prison, he misses a few games of football, and if it helps with the racism problem in football, then it's no big deal. People are talking as if this is life or death, missing a few games of football is not the end of the world.
[/quote]

The perversion of justice is a very big deal indeed, regardless of how trivial you happen to think the consequences are.

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=47188.msg1461052#msg1461052 date=1326193108]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Nice rational post Molby. Having a bit of Downing moment are we ?
[/quote]

And who was right about Downing Sunny?

[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=47188.msg1461064#msg1461064 date=1326193840]
[quote author=Sunny link=topic=47188.msg1461062#msg1461062 date=1326193752]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep, that's what I'm waiting for. For me, that's a way more cut and dry case.
[/quote]

The FA have a get out of jail free card on this one. JT will beat the court case and the FA will not be obliged to investigate themselves. The best thing that could have happened to Suarez on the day of the Utd game would have been if someone had made a complaint to the police. It wouldn't have got anywhere near as far as the Terry case.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=47188.msg1461014#msg1461014 date=1326191135]
[quote author=Farkmaster link=topic=47188.msg1460965#msg1460965 date=1326170708]
No one has a fucking clue whether Suarez is racist, though it's incredibly unlikely that he doesn't have some racist tendencies, because we all do.

[/quote]

I think everyone has prejudice, for example; I want chocolate ice cream rather than vanilla. but saying everyone has racist tendencies is a bit sweeping.
[/quote]

Well it seems that the FA committee may very well agree with Farkmaster.

344. We took into account the fact that it is a real albeit unattractive trait of human nature that
we all act from time to time, to greater or lesser degrees, in ways which may be out of
character. This is especially so when we feel under pressure, or challenged, or provoked,
or pushed into a corner. We do and say things that we are not proud of and regret, and
that we might try and deny, sometimes even to ourselves. We occasionally do or say
things that we would be embarrassed to admit to family or friends. It is not inconsistent to
have black colleagues and friends and relatives, and yet say things to strangers or
acquaintances about race or colour that we would not say directly to those closer to us.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=47188.msg1461065#msg1461065 date=1326193924]
The perversion of justice is a very big deal indeed, regardless of how trivial you happen to think the consequences are.
[/quote]

Hear hear! I can't get my head round the mentality of those who seem comfortable with the concept that the club should apologise when there is nothing to apologise for. That would add insult to injury in my book.

[quote author=Portly link=topic=47188.msg1461071#msg1461071 date=1326194226]
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=47188.msg1461065#msg1461065 date=1326193924]
[/quote]

Hear hear! I can't get my head round the mentality of those who seem comfortable with the concept that the club should apologise when there is nothing to apologise for. That would add insult to injury in my book.
[/quote]

Suarez should have come out at the very beginning and apologised for any hurt caused, explained it wasn't intentional, but if Evra was hurt by it, that he was sorry.

As of now, I think it's best left to be forgotten about, it's too late for any apologies.

Back
Top Bottom