• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Suarez/Evra Racism Row

Terry will either get off completely or get a much more lenient punishment. It's guaranteed.

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=47188.msg1461197#msg1461197 date=1326206953]
[quote author=Jack D Rips link=topic=47188.msg1461193#msg1461193 date=1326206693]
[quote author=acejmk link=topic=47188.msg1461184#msg1461184 date=1326205908]
[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=47188.msg1461098#msg1461098 date=1326197726]
Does everyone agree on the following:

Evra changed his testimony from 10 times to 7 times (the word being used).

Suarez said he said it once (porque negro)

4 Manchester United gave different testimonies of what Evra told them, not what they heard. The Spanish used there, as per the Brown University professor, isn't used in Uruguay.

Not one player heard this on the pitch.

I'd conclude that Suarez used the term once - and hence, should be banned (as it is considered racist) for x games. The club should have handled this better, and it's a learning experience I'd say. We reacted fine with what happened in the Oldham game.
[/quote]

This is all very true.

Also i still think the FA used this to help when Terry is found to be guilty they can just give him an 8 game ban to and that will be that.
[/quote]

I think you are wrong there. Suarez got 8 matches for ( as per the findings of the commission) using the word 7 times. As far as I know Terry is only accused of one case.
[/quote]

But surely using an added derogatory adjective ups the stakes? I'm sure it does. There is also another precedent of a chap who admitted using a racial slur and got an 8 match suspension (with 4 of those suspended).
[/quote]

You are missing what Suarez was "convicted" of. He was found to have used a lot worse than Terry is accused of.

[quote author=Halmeister link=topic=47188.msg1461204#msg1461204 date=1326207933]
Terry will either get off completely or get a much more lenient punishment. It's guaranteed.
[/quote]

He'll get off scot free i reckon.

LIVERPOOL FC have taken a hammering over the past few weeks and much of the criticism has been over the top.

I’ve been very surprised at how sections of the media have been so scathing over the Luis Suarez-Patrice Evra row.

Kenny Dalglish in particular has had a lot of unfair flak when all he’s done is stick up for a player he honestly believes has been very harshly treated.

Was he supposed to just sit back and accept it when the commission’s judgement clearly makes no sense?

Too many people have been saying their piece without knowing the full facts.

Liverpool FC have done more than most clubs to eradicate racism over the years and it’s something we all want to see stamped out.

This case was never cut and dried. The Spanish language experts even admitted that if Suarez’s version of events was true then his use of the word ‘negro’ wouldn’t be deemed racist in South America.

We also know that Evra’s own United team-mates refer to him by that name and he doesn’t take offence at that.

I was interested to read the comments of Suarez’s Uruguay team-mate Alvaro Pereira who believes Evra and United have taken advantage of the situation to get a Liverpool player banned.

The commission’s 115-page report says Suarez was ‘probably’ guilty. That says everything for me. How you can punish someone when you’re not 100% sure?

I’m convinced he’s been made an example of by the FA.

In saying that, Liverpool FC have done the right thing not appealing against the ban.

For the sake of the club we needed to draw a line under it.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/01/10/john-aldridge-criticism-of-liverpool-fc-and-kenny-dalglish-in-luis-suarez-row-has-been-over-the-top-100252-30090621/#.TwwrROX7B-Z.twitter#ixzz1j4K0LjAd

I hinted elsewhere in this thread (and have said in another) that Evra is called negro by his team mates. The very word he took such offence at. This is why I find Evra a hypocritical cunt and why I feel his complaint is completely exaggerated. If he was so offended by the word he would have taken his team mates to task a long time ago. Even if he was offended by the phrase he could have had a word with Suarez instead of causing this utter shitfest. I think he's a lying manipulative and devious little shit and he's hung a fellow pro out to dry and caused him to be labelled a racist forever by subjecting him the FA witch trials when the reality couldn't be further from the truth. Twat.

As Aldo says we need to draw a line under it but I hope a few realise what a cunt Evra has been in all of this.

I hinted elsewhere in this thread (and have said in another) that Evra is called negro by his team mates. The very word he took such offence at. This is why I find Evra a hypocritical cunt and why I feel his complaint is completely exaggerated. If he was so offended by the word he would have taken his team mates to task a long time ago. Even if he was offended by the phrase he could have had a word with Suarez instead of causing this utter shitfest. I think he's a lying manipulative and devious little shit and he's hung a fellow pro out to dry and caused him to be labelled a racist forever by subjecting him the FA witch trials when the reality couldn't be further from the truth. Twat.

As Aldo says we need to draw a line under it but I hope a few realise what a cunt Evra has been in all of this.

Nail on head as far as Im concerned - well said Sunny, although dont underestimate Fergeson's influence in the complaint.

[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=47188.msg1461061#msg1461061 date=1326193723]
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=47188.msg1461059#msg1461059 date=1326193568]
[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=47188.msg1461055#msg1461055 date=1326193173]
[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=47188.msg1461053#msg1461053 date=1326193118]
'evidence'
[/quote]

Well, yeah, but on the little evidence they had, they tried to make a best guess as to what happened. They banned him based on that, not on the one remark he admitted to.
[/quote]

"Best guess" is not NEARLY good enough to condemn a man of an offence, or wouldn't be in a properly regulated system.
[/quote]

He's not gone to prison, he misses a few games of football, and if it helps with the racism problem in football, then it's no big deal. People are talking as if this is life or death, missing a few games of football is not the end of the world.
[/quote]

No that's only about 5 million in player wages wasted. To many in the world, that's life or death...not to Suarez. Many football clubs have gone under for not having that much in liquid cash....that's not the case for Liverpool either. But for a club just recovering from financial disaster only a year ago, it still is a sizable blow.

Then there is the little case of opening up an avenue for the tabloids to slander a player at will...

Whaddapie, I've never called anyone a racist slur, I'm glad that you haven't. That makes you not a blatant racist asshole.

[quote author=Farkmaster link=topic=47188.msg1461338#msg1461338 date=1326219987]
Whaddapie, I've never called anyone a racist slur, I'm glad that you haven't. That makes you not a blatant racist asshole.
[/quote]

WTF are you on about, Ali..? If you have something to say, say it.

I have been hoping that something would turn up that would expose the failings of the FA's disciplinary procedures. I have just heard on the news that a committee of Westminster MP's is to examine the subject of racism in sport following recent events. Unfortunately they won't even start until March.

I would hope that when a group of intelligent men and women actually get to grips with the FA committee's report, and realise how that superficially impressive document was actually put together, they would have to admit that, in parliamentary jargon, it is a load of bollox.

[quote author=Portly link=topic=47188.msg1461368#msg1461368 date=1326222634]

I would hope that when a group of intelligent men and women actually get to grips with the FA committee's report, and realise how that superficially impressive document was actually put together, they would have to admit that, in parliamentary jargon, it is a load of bollox.

[/quote]

Yeah but it's a gang of MPs so that's your hopes dashed.

[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=47188.msg1461369#msg1461369 date=1326222852]
Yeah but it's a gang of MPs so that's your hopes dashed.
[/quote]

Yeah, you're probably right. We will probably get a load of sanctimonious bilge. ::)

Mancini was asked whether Liverpool's manager, Kenny Dalglish, and players had made a mistake by wearing their now infamous T-shirts in support of Suárez, just after the Football Association's independent commission had announced its verdict. He was nodding in agreement as he replied "maybe" and he then voiced his belief that Suárez should have issued an immediate apology.

"Sometimes a situation like this can happen on the pitch but it is important to apologise for what you did. Sometimes, on the pitch, you can do something you don't want to, because you are nervous, because you don't think. Everything can happen because you don't think, because you are tired, because you are stupid, you are young; for many reasons.

"I don't think Suárez is a racist. But I think he made a mistake, probably, yes. Everyone can make a mistake sometimes. It is impossible that we are always perfect and, after that, it is important to say: 'I am sorry, I made a mistake, I apologise for this' and accept the charge."

The City manager went on to draw a parallel with his own playing career in Italy, where football has had a long battle against racism. "I have heard everything said against me and I have said some things – but not important things like racist words."

Mancini was speaking on the day it emerged a representative from Liverpool could be summoned when the culture, media and sport select committee holds a specially convened inquiry into racism in football. An evidence session has been scheduled for 6 March and the committee member Damian Collins said: "I think the events of the last two weeks have reignited concerns about racism in the game. Although this session will not necessarily be restricted to football it will be the principal area of inquiry following the Suárez case and the concerns that have arisen from that."

Steve Rotheram, the Liverpool Walton MP, has been pushing for the inquiry at a time when the Anfield club have also had to issue an apology to the Oldham Athletic defender Tom Adeyemi after he complained of being racially abused during Friday's FA Cup tie on Merseyside.

Whereas the reluctance to accept Suárez's culpability and apologise to Evra has led to widespread condemnation throughout the game, Oldham have released a statement to make it clear they are happy with Liverpool's "painstaking efforts in investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident."

A 20-year-old man is on police bail pending further inquiries and the League One club also praised Merseyside police, adding: "Excellent communication has been maintained and the club and player have been notified of every detail during the progress of the investigation."

The issue of racism in football has also been in the spotlight because of the England captain John Terry's court appearance on 1 February for allegedly insulting Anton Ferdinand during Chelsea's match at Queens Park Rangers in October.

Rotheram said: "I believe, given the nature of recent events, that it would be appropriate for this issue to be looked at by parliamentarians from all parties and from different football, sporting and non-sporting allegiances. Sport should be rightly proud that in many ways it has led the field in tackling social issues such as racism, homophobia and sectarianism and it will be interesting to see what conclusions the select committee draw."

Guardian

The FA needs to be brought to book both for the way it decides matters and the failure of it's appeals procedure. The fact that you cannot appeal a decision (only the penalty) and that the record shows a near 100% upholding of initial decisions when appealed cannot be right. Are they really expecting us to believe they get every decision correct all the time?

If MP's can look at this and then make recommendations, I think it's to be welcomed.

Would be interesting if Kenny is called to this. Would he have "Parliamentary privilidge" to tell the things he reckons we dont know about?

[quote author=jexykrodic link=topic=47188.msg1461689#msg1461689 date=1326275625]
The FA needs to be brought to book both for the way it decides matters and the failure of it's appeals procedure. The fact that you cannot appeal a decision (only the penalty) and that the record shows a near 100% upholding of initial decisions when appealed cannot be right. Are they really expecting us to believe they get every decision correct all the time?

If MP's can look at this and then make recommendations, I think it's to be welcomed.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. The FA would argue that the near-100% stat is valid because its regulatory commissions are "independent". Well, pull the other one, it's got bells on. They appoint the darn commissions themselves, those commissions know exactly what they're expected to say even if it's not written down anywhere (as the Suarez witchhunt makes clear) and the FA themselves sit in judgment on any appeals which might be lodged. If the process WERE independently run, that stat would be impressive. As it is, the stat in question is a clear indication of how rotten the whole thing is. I hope to goodness the MPs' enquiry does go over this good and hard.

Much though I would love to see the FA get a good arse kicking, this MP enquiry is going to be about racism in general, including sport. I cant really see how the disciplinary procedures at the FA will come into it.

Depends how wide a remit they give themselves, of course, but I'd have thought the question of how the ruling body of the country's most popular sport deals with the racism issue would be a legitimate matter for the enquiry.

"I'm afraid there is no question that the club's approach has stoked this affair, and there is now a highly charged atmosphere around the issue. The Suarez T-shirts surely no longer have a place at Anfield,” Powar said.

"This has done a lot of damage to Liverpool FC and in many people's eyes to English football.

"We have a young footballer in Tom Adeyemi who was abused quite badly at Anfield. Young footballers do not get that upset without due cause. The abuser has been charged and it is for the courts to decide the context of it.

"But it is time surely that progressive fans stepped forward and started to be active in this debate. The challenge is two-fold. The first part is to show support to Adeyemi at this weekend’s game.

“Why not use one of those fantastic choreographies on the Kop to show categorically that Liverpool fans are against racism and discrimination of all kinds. That although it was one mindless person who was involved, he was a Liverpool fan, and they take collective responsibility for what happened.

"Secondly, I would say it is time for progressive fans to tell the club and Kenny Dalglish that enough is enough, this episode has done a lot of damage to Liverpool FC, and the manager, as their spokesperson, needs to publicly start to calm the waters.

“A club position that says, enough is enough, Suarez is serving his ban and everyone at Liverpool should move on and try to build bridges, would be very welcome."

firstly , when is this Powar chap finally going to shut his pie hole ? Even if some of his points have merit he's wrecking the head now .

Secondly , as a liverpool fan (or any football fan ) do i really have to take responsibility for the actions of every other fan just because we like something that in a sense we are free to pick if we like .

Thirdly , and a serious question , would Tom Adeyemi not have recovered from this by now ? Do we really need to show our support for him . Bad thing to happen but there's a million worse things in the world we need to support then 1 footballer getting abuse , even racist abuse, off some numptie .

finally , what should our mosaic say ? "KKKop" ?

That article made me angry, it implies the club has done something wrong by Adeyemi which it has not, Oldham themselves have recognised how well Liverpool have handled this situation. This guy needs to shut his trap.

If Powar actually reacted to and acknowledged things like the LFC statements and the Oldham statements he'd warrant a bit more respect, but instead he has decided LFC is wrong on all of the points he asserted and he simply ignores anything that in any way contradicts his position. That's just wrong, and it's high time his various interviewers pointed that out. If he really wants the situation to improve, why is he consistently ignoring all of these positive statements and actions? That's what he should be asked. He's overseen some good campaigns in the past but he's really lost his bearings on this one.

[quote author=gkmacca link=topic=47188.msg1461773#msg1461773 date=1326285390]
If Powar actually reacted to and acknowledged things like the LFC statements and the Oldham statements he'd warrant a bit more respect, but instead he has decided LFC is wrong on all of the points he asserted and he simply ignores anything that in any way contradicts his position. That's just wrong, and it's high time his various interviewers pointed that out. If he really wants the situation to improve, why is he consistently ignoring all of these positive statements and actions? That's what he should be asked. He's overseen some good campaigns in the past but he's really lost his bearings on this one.
[/quote]

I think interviews and publicity is what Powar is after. The more the better.

He hasnt commented on Chelsea's support for Terry ( presumably his reason would be that it is a legal matter although we all know the real reason), but he has already tried and convicted the guy from Friday night before he even gets to court.

Piara Powar - board member of the Chelsea FC Foundation.

Lord Ousley same for Manchester United.

I think Powar is doing this to keep the flack off Terry?

He has gone way way over the top....

Terrific article Jack:

[size=18pt]When is a remark racist? When spoken by a foreigner[/size]

[size=14pt]The fight against racism in football has not been helped by the savaging of Suarez, Dalglish and Liverpool, writes DAVID ADAMS [/size]

[size=12pt]‘IS CALLING someone a ‘black c***’ racist? Spoke to a black player today who said racism is words like c**n, n-word, w**, etc. Don’t know.” This crass query was posted on Twitter less than two months ago. It refers to what the England and Chelsea football captain, John Terry, has admitted calling QPR’s Anton Ferdinand during a premiership game last October.

Terry will appear in court next month, charged with a racially motivated public order offence. He insists that his remarks were taken out of context, and must be presumed innocent until proven otherwise. The tweeter, however, appears to suggest that Terry’s outburst might not be racist at all, regardless of context.

Worryingly, the tweet was posted by the chief sports writer of the Daily Mirror, Oliver Holt (who has authored two books on Terry, under the pen names, Ollie and Oliver Derbyshire). Strange that a journalist, of all people, is not entirely clear on what constitutes racism. Stranger still that Holt and his newspaper, along with most of the rest of the British media, have of late been adopting what they imagine to be a high-minded, zero-tolerance approach to this issue.

They have been relentless in condemning Liverpool’s Uruguayan player, Luis Suarez, after he was found guilty by the English FA of “racially abusing” the Manchester United footballer Patrice Evra, by referring to him as “negro”. Aside from the fact that Evra’s South American team mates at Manchester United also call him Negro, I would have thought this word to be far less offensive than what Terry has admitted shouting at Ferdinand.

Increasingly, the media has also been savaging Liverpool and its manager, Kenny Dalglish, for continuing to insist that Suarez is innocent. Oliver Holt went so far as to suggest in a column last Saturday that their support for Suarez makes Dalglish and Liverpool partially culpable for a racist insult directed at a young Oldham player at Anfield the previous night.

Self-evidently, Holt et al believe that Suarez and Liverpool have no right to question an FA ruling. This is another strange position for journalists to adopt. They, of all people, should realise that even a proper court can get it wrong, never mind the FA’s “kangaroo court”, as Everton manager David Moyes recently described it. The FA secures a conviction rate of 99.5 per cent, as Irish sports lawyer (and Liverpool fan) Stuart Gilhooley has pointed out.

An unnamed sports lawyer has told the BBC that the FA acts as “police, judge and jury all rolled into one”. No wonder Suarez, his club and its supporters are up in arms.

Undeterred, the British media is presenting the FA’s handling of the Suarez affair as a shining example of best practice, while doing all it can to shift attention away from the finer details and on to the broader issue of racism. This involves making pantomime villains of Suarez, Dalglish and Liverpool.

In truth, even before the case was heard, the bulk of the media had made plain its position. Suarez was never afforded the same innocent-until-proven-guilty treatment that John Terry has (rightly) enjoyed.

From the moment Evra’s complaint emerged, hardly a day passed without it being highlighted. Yet within days of John Terry being charged, sportswriters and football commentators were commending the Chelsea captain for a “courageous performance”, “despite the pressures he is playing under”.

Suarez was fined €48,500 and banned for eight games by the FA. Somewhat conveniently, Terry was reported to the police by “a member of the public” and shuffled off to a criminal court where the evidential threshold for conviction is massively higher than that of the FA, and the maximum possible penalty decidedly lower (€2,500).

I am not a disinterested observer, having supported Liverpool for more than 40 years. But then, who is? (Lord) Herman Ouseley and Piara Powar, two of the most vocal and widely quoted critics of Suarez, Dalglish and Liverpool, and strident supporters of the FA’s ruling, are both invariably described by the media only as anti-racism campaigners. That the first is also a member of the FA and on the board of the Manchester United Foundation (Evra’s club), and the second is a director of the Chelsea Foundation (Terry’s club), is never mentioned.

Why has a basic tenet of good journalistic practice, highlighting possible conflicts of interest, been dispensed with? Ultimately, the FA has scored some imaginary political point against Fifa’s Sepp Blatter; anti-racism campaigners have had their (extremely important) issue raised to stratospheric heights; and the British media has been able to flaunt its supposed anti-racist credentials. That the reputation of a “Johnny Foreigner” has been destroyed in the process, and a great football club and its manager tarnished, is unfortunate. But at least it wasn’t an England captain.[/size]

Back
Top Bottom