• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The sub effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
When the 5 subs rule was debated during one of the COVID seasons (I can't remember which one, it's all a blur at this point), Chris Wilder was loudly making a point about how this was going to give an unfair advantage to "big" teams over the likes of his Sheffield United. Klopp was adamant that it was all about player welfare – and he had a point, with top players enduring punishing schedules and competitions being added and expanded.

But now, if you ask him in private, I think even Jurgen will have to admit that the extra subs are giving our team a serious advantage:

We're basically the best team team in the league, by a distance, at finding a "plan B" when the "plan A" is not working. In several games – Fulham in the league, Arsenal in FAC – the substitutions even allowed Klopp to get to Plan C by the end. The first few times it seemed like magic, but by now it has become a consistent strategy: we start the game and spend the first half figuring out what the opposition has in store for us, then at half-time Klopp makes the adjustments and around 60-65 minutes 2-3 subs come in and turn the game in our favour. Rinse and repeat.

Why are we so good at this?
  1. Having 5 subs makes it a lot easier – in the past a triple-sub were a rarity and a big risk, now it's routine.
  2. We have more squad depth, variety and quality than any team in the league, bar City. Comparison to Arsenal is useful – they have a far more settled first 11, but little in reserve, whereas we are more chaotic, but have more players who can turn a game as a sub.
  3. Klopp is exceptionally good at figuring out what the problem is and also his experience allows him to be calm under pressure – he very rarely overreacts when the team is struggling, sometimes making very small tweaks that address the problem precisely.
So essentially the 5 subs rule has allowed us to maximize 2 advantages we currently have over most teams (not just the Sheffields of the league) – Klopp's in-game management and the depth and quality of our squad. I don't know when teams will start to adjust to this, creating their own Plan B to counter our Plan B, but I think it's coming. In the game of first 11's we would literally be mid-table; the sub effect is what propelled us to the top.

Last edited:
I would prefer 5 subs if it were limited to 2 or 3 substitute 'slots' otherwise it can be incredibly stop-start.

5 subs gives teams the chance to make more drastic changes e.g. two attackers, without risk of injuries or sendings off ruining your game.

I might well be misremembering but Klopp used to be more reticent about bringing on subs because his first 11-13 players was pretty settled and he had the utmost confidence in Plan A.

I think these days we have more Plan Bs in the squad than Plan As and I think that makes it easier for Klopp to change things around and tinker in a way he didn't previously.

I would prefer 5 subs if it were limited to 2 or 3 substitute 'slots' otherwise it can be incredibly stop-start.

5 subs gives teams the chance to make more drastic changes e.g. two attackers, without risk of injuries or sendings off ruining your game.

To be fair, it's meant to be as far as I know

From the PL last year

"Five substitutes
The number of permitted substitutes in a match will be increased from the start of this campaign.

Last term teams could only make up to three changes, but following an agreement at a meeting this summer clubs agreed for the quota to be increased to five.

Substitution opportunities will be allowed on three occasions during a match, with an additional opportunity at half-time.

A total of nine substitutes can be named on the team sheet, up from seven last season"

Or do you mean 2 or 3 slots and both teams can only make subs in those windows?

First thing. Terrific post Rurik.
Second thing: Why not have more subs? It's a great idea (for us)
Thirdly: Spot on

Finally - It's semantics and it's interesting because I'm not sure it's Klopp. I think it's hard to broadly see the game from the sidelines. I think there's trusted others up above (in the stands not the heavens), assessing the dynamics of the game. What are we doing, what are they doing.... what individual players are doing... and coming to Klopp with it.

or could it really be Klopp seeing it all?

First thing. Terrific post Rurik.
Second thing: Why not have more subs? It's a great idea (for us)
Thirdly: Spot on

Finally - It's semantics and it's interesting because I'm not sure it's Klopp. I think it's hard to broadly see the game from the sidelines. I think there's trusted others up above (in the stands not the heavens), assessing the dynamics of the game. What are we doing, what are they doing.... what individual players are doing... and coming to Klopp with it.

or could it really be Klopp seeing it all?
I've been thinking too that we must have some analytics boffins working on stuff during the first half.

The ability to make 5 subs is the best thing to happen to football since goal line technology.
As others have mentioned, it gives the youth/reserves players a bigger chance of being involved.

Also why do suddenly feel like ordering a chicken teriyaki foot long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom