• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

The sub

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got lucky sure, with one mistake but we capitalized on it.

The sub did make the team more solid and gave me less hibbies jibbies.

Yep, that's sound familiar.

Didn't it backfire and one of his player's got injured later in the game.

On a side note, remembered when Mourinho used to lump Huth up front late in games?

Yep, that's sound familiar.

Didn't it backfire and one of his player's got injured later in the game.

On a side note, remembered when Mourinho used to lump Huth up front late in games?

Yeah i think I remember Duff or someone like that limping around. They lost I know that much.

Aye the old Huth up top routine. He tried that at Anfield in the semi final in 05. Embarassing.

I've seen Barca panic very late on and allow Pique wander up front to good effect but nothing was more annoying that watching Huth ramble about up front at times.

He reminded me of a bullock on a farm realising the gate to the field was left open and he went about his business wandering aimlessly around the farm yard. He didn't know what he was doing, he didn't know where he was going but he was just happy to be out.

Also it worth reminding ourselves of David James going up front for City. He caused a bit of a kerfuffle and even won a penalty but lets not pretend it wasn't hilarious.

Also it worth reminding ourselves of David James going up front for City. He caused a bit of a kerfuffle and even won a penalty but lets not pretend it wasn't hilarious.

Was that the time that Stuart Pearce ignored a striker on the bench and sent James up front instead? Or am I imagining that?

John Macken (sp?) who's heading ability was his best asset was left sat on the bench.

There was a decent thread about it on here.

We finally beat one of the weakest teams there is, and crawl to 11th in the league and the manager is hailed as a tactical genius for failing on his start up for the n'th time in a row?? Wow..

As I said in another thread, the first season is the natural season for such bold moves.I'm not knocking Rodgers, I'm just saying don't get carried away. A manager treats a team in his first season with a degree of cool reason, unemotional pragmatism and unsentimentality that rarely survives. It's like giving a kid someone else's Lego kit - he'll happily tear it to pieces and keep changing it, until he likes what he's made and then he gets protective. In the first season a manager is less inclined to hesitate about changes - after all, most of the players aren't really his, and he's still assessing them, and implicitly he's still criticising the previous regime. Once he's assembled a squad that's stamped with his signature and plays in accordance with his style, the readiness to change things mid-match tends to fade. (I only said 'tends,' I'm not saying Rodgers will follow suit.) Typically that's when changing things starts to seem to some managers like a self-criticism, an admission of guilt, and many of them resist more and more. That's certainly how I saw Ged and Rafa change. Ged was worse. Rafa, admittedly, tended to associate tinkering with part of his approach, often the odder the better, so he'd seem to do it almost for the sake of it, but he was never so pragmatic as he was during that first season, when he was like a breath of fresh air with his responses during games. So I'm just saying - applaud it now but wait a while before deciding this is going to be a long-term quality.

Good post, though if I can't allow myself to be excited about another 'false dawn' I'd rather give up on all this supporter lark. You got to believe that the impossible can happen at least sometimes. So for now I am optimistic.

A8KnWbmCQAAvawq.jpg

suso30fernandez ‏@suso30fernandez
Mi nueva limpiadora. My new cleaner..£10 per hour. @dani37pacheco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom