• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The whole Ched Evans thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point of early release is to give those involved an incentive to behave themselves both while they're inside and, depending on the terms of the release, after they're released (because in some cases misbehaviour can send them back to chokey).

Are we saying Evans isn't allowed to do anything to earn a living until his appeal is heard? Because if not, I don't see a satisfactory basis for differentiating between what he is and isn't allowed to do.
Call me old fashioned but if you do the crime you do the time. Not half of it.

After he's served his sentence or wins his appeal then yes he should be allowed to earn a living.

Ched Evans should just go play abroad. He'd probably earn more money doing it as well.
But yeah, he probably can't leave the country due to his "early release".

In theory he'd be allowed to work abroad if his probation officer agreed, but that's never going to happen unless/until he wins his appeal.

Call me old fashioned but if you do the crime you do the time. Not half of it.

After he's served his sentence or wins his appeal then yes he should be allowed to earn a living.

Understandable, but I don't agree. For one thing that removes a valuable incentive, without which prisons would instantly become much more difficult to manage. For another, sentencing isn't that precise a science anyway, nor should it be - stricter sentencing tariffs would remove the discretion of courts which have actually heard the evidence, and result in miscarriages of justice. Witness the "three strikes and you're out" rule in the States which has seen people given life sentences for traffic violations.

It is a bit of a difficult one. On one hand I do still think that as a general rule anyone who is released from prison should be able to return to their chosen career, and as such of course Evans should be allowed to play again (which of course he is. It's the clubs who are choosing not to employ him, which is entirely their right).

On the other hand, this rule doesn't cover ALL professions. In some careers you would be automatically barred from returning. Should footballer be one of them? The argument is that footballers are supposed to be roe models, but there are some right fucking cunts playing football who probably aren't exactly great role models.

On balance, I think it's probably right that its up to the clubs. I doubt anyone will sign him now anyway.

Understandable, but I don't agree. For one thing that removes a valuable incentive, without which prisons would instantly become much more difficult to manage. For another, sentencing isn't that precise a science anyway, nor should it be - stricter sentencing tariffs would remove the discretion of courts which have actually heard the evidence, and result in miscarriages of justice. Witness the "three strikes and you're out" rule in the States which has seen people given life sentences for traffic violations.
The judge determines the length of sentence taking all details into account Jules. You raped someone, this is your sentence. You serve the length of that sentence. And while you're serving it you get nothing. No play stations in your cell. No cosy days out etc.

It is a bit of a difficult one. On one hand I do still think that as a general rule anyone who is released from prison should be able to return to their chosen career, and as such of course Evans should be allowed to play again (which of course he is. It's the clubs who are choosing not to employ him, which is entirely their right).

On the other hand, this rule doesn't cover ALL professions. In some careers you would be automatically barred from returning. Should footballer be one of them? The argument is that footballers are supposed to be roe models, but there are some right fucking cunts playing football who probably aren't exactly great role models.

On balance, I think it's probably right that its up to the clubs. I doubt anyone will sign him now anyway.

Yep agree with that Richey. You'd obviously not employ a convicted paedo in a school but I don't think this lad should be banned from football once he's done his time.

Hahaha he has no clue how this "case review" will go down. The delusional prick has about as much chance as Suarez did with the FA.

He should have just let it be whilst there was a perception of doubt in the public. Once he loses for the second time his image will be buried for good as an unrepentant rapist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom