• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This new striker....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be interesting how Finnbogason gets on a Sociedad. 39 goals in Holland last season.

Surprised he hasn't gone to a bigger club really.

Asked an Icelandic forumer last season how he was, and was told that he's good but lacks pace and is probably good enough to play for a mid-table team in the Premier League.

Lol...

I dont really blame the owners. If there is no suitable long term alternative available, Id rather hang on to the money than blow it all on Andy Carroll (or wilfred bony ...samething really) and spend the entire season with buyers remorse.

But id spend a couple of mil more on Podolski instead of eto if we are looking short term.

Bony is no Carroll and half the price.

If you see how the big clubs operate when they're courting a player, they very publicly make it clear that the player would be a great addition. Former players, current players, and coaches are found quoted in the press all praising the transfer target. You get Coutinho mentioning how much he admires Sanchez's playstyle and uses it to mold his own, and so on.

Then you get your key people directly on the line with the player. Have Rodgers talk to Sanchez, and explain his philosophy and why it will succeed. You reach out to Mascherano, and have him hype Liverpool as a perfect destination for Sanchez in the Spanish papers.

If nothing else though, you stump up more dough. 30k more in wages than Arsenal are offering? Sure, but you have to take the deal now. Oh wait, Gerrard is in the room too, and he's selling you on the prospect of Liverpool. Alexis, do you remember that trophy case you walked by on the way in? How about an extra 5M Barca, if you encourage Alexis to join us?

And if all else fails, we explain to him what a terrible person Piers Morgan is, and how he's Arsenal's biggest supporter.

Practically beg?

If we start doing all that, I think ill stop supporting the club. Its one thing to pander to the whims and fancies of a plaher we already have....but to drop our pants and bend over for a player who hasnt even signed yet? I think somewhere along the line in between the two, I will start to distance myself from football....

If you see how the big clubs operate when they're courting a player, they very publicly make it clear that the player would be a great addition. Former players, current players, and coaches are found quoted in the press all praising the transfer target. You get Coutinho mentioning how much he admires Sanchez's playstyle and uses it to mold his own, and so on.

Then you get your key people directly on the line with the player. Have Rodgers talk to Sanchez, and explain his philosophy and why it will succeed. You reach out to Mascherano, and have him hype Liverpool as a perfect destination for Sanchez in the Spanish papers.

If nothing else though, you stump up more dough. 30k more in wages than Arsenal are offering? Sure, but you have to take the deal now. Oh wait, Gerrard is in the room too, and he's selling you on the prospect of Liverpool. Alexis, do you remember that trophy case you walked by on the way in? How about an extra 5M Barca, if you encourage Alexis to join us?

And if all else fails, we explain to him what a terrible person Piers Morgan is, and how he's Arsenal's biggest supporter.

Welcome to Real Madrid.

You're making too many assumptions when all you have to go on is the fact that we didn't hear the likes of Gerrard jizzing themselves over Sanchez in the press.

We made a £50m loss last year and had to rely on a £50m cash loan/injection from FSG, we have to develop our stadium which will cost £75m. We haven't sold players that are surplus to requirements. I think as and when we do we will spend that money on new players.

Fuckkkkkk offffffff Eto'o. Eto'o and bloody lambert on the bench?? No thanks. I'd rather have we have kept Origi and put him on the bench than Eto'o. Proper desperation if we sign him. Just pay the bloody money for Bony if we can't get anyone better.

Sorry but this makes no sense. One minute you're saying we should have kept Origi - who will be here next year, then next your saying just pay for Bony in the meantime, which would cost us around £20m. What's the point? If we don't think he fits the bill for the price, why should we fork out for a shortterm fix?

I'm not "for" signing someone like Eto'o, but I'm not for us spunking money for the sake of it either.

I'm not against Eto'o at all, but it would be an admission by the club, and also echo my thoughts, that there isn't even close to a Suarez replacement out there, or in fact any striker who looks capable of reaching that level, and that in itself is depressing.

Honestly, I think we will be ok, with an Et'o Like signing. I would rather have another star striker, but I wouldn't want to buy someone for the sake of it.

I don't mind splashing the cash if it's a dead cert striker. But honestly Bony seems like the closest thing.

Sorry but this makes no sense. One minute you're saying we should have kept Origi - who will be here next year, then next your saying just pay for Bony in the meantime, which would cost us around £20m. What's the point? If we don't think he fits the bill for the price, why should we fork out for a shortterm fix?

I'm not "for" signing someone like Eto'o, but I'm not for us spunking money for the sake of it either.

I personally would rather have kept Origi if it was a straight choice out of him and Eto'o. As it wasn't/isn't I'd go for Bony instead of Eto'o. Bony is a good striker and has about 4-5yrs in him I reckon, so not short-term.
I'm hoping the only way we're signing Eto'o is as a backup and another main striker is coming in. Then, it's not a problem for me.
Thinking about it, I'd rather keep Borini than sign Eto'o!

Sign Bony, get rid of Borini!

Borini pays for Bony. It's quite simple. Borini will never get his goals. Sell Borini and Bony costs just $5m for a new striker.

you are welcome.

If we sign a decent striker now, this surely has to be one of the best transfer windows ever?
Cant remember our squad ever being loaded with so much quality and so little shite.

If we sign a decent striker now, this surely has to be one of the best transfer windows ever?
Cant remember our squad ever being loaded with so much quality and so little shite.

I remember a fair few people trotting that out after we signed the likes of Downing. And in transfer windows previous.

Things are always great until we find out that they're not.

Let's hope we've avoided shooting ourselves in the foot this time round!

I remember a fair few people trotting that out after we signed the likes of Downing. And in transfer windows previous.

Agreed, but the squad looks strong and well balanced with potential trough the roof.
Need a striker mind...

kes of Downing. And in transfer windows previous.

That's crazy talk Keni. Any kind of a footballing mind could see they were lame ass signings, made better by optimistic thoughts.

These new signings, may or may not work, but the tea leaves are much less blind optimism on these ones.

That's crazy talk Keni. Any kind of a footballing mind could see they were lame ass signings, made better by optimistic thoughts.

These new signings, may or may not work, but the tea leaves are much less blind optimism on these ones.

Well, we're in need of some more footballing minds then.

Anyways, I agree that there is less need to talk up the current crop of signings and more room for genuine optimism... still... let's wait and see.

Who'd have thought we'd be saying that in the window we sell Suarez? I guess we have to wait it out, depends if we get in one more goalscorer.

Excited for Sunday though!

moreno and lovren ending up no better than what we had.... lazar being the next leto..... lallana shitting himself.

it all seems so possible.

Mignolet/Jones - no change
Enrique/Moreno - stronger
Lovren/Skrtel - stronger
Agger/Sakho/Coates/Ilori - same?
Johnson/Flanagan/Thingy - Stronger

Lucas/Gerrard/Can/Allen - stronger

Henderson/Coutinho/Lallana - stronger

Sterling/Markovic - stronger

Sturridge/Lambert - much weaker

I think Suarez leaving has affected our entire attack from midfielders to strikers. He was that important.

This new striker ... just needs to be ace. Don't care if he comes in on the last day of the window. Just be ace. We'll be starting the season strongly anyway with Sturridge, Cou and Sterling forming a deadly attack backed by a new and improved defense and midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom