• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This Old Lady Can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlike Cuntinho he wants to stay, but I guess he wants the right amount of cash too. Just give it too him.

I think people forget how young Can is. We signed him as a 20 year old. For comparisons sake, Ejaria turns 20 this year and he's on the peripherals of the team.
Cant believe people are so blasé about losing Emre. He's only turned 23 this year and is getting better and better. Sure, he'll make mistakes but he has huge potential and obviously loves the club.
Pay him what he wants. He's a future captain. Also, he massively helps our handsome 11.

Hold your horses. Was Klopp sort of referring to him in his post match presser, well that's how I read it anyway. Along of the lines he was being difficult signing his new contract without guaranteed champions league football, and there's also talk of him wanting a guaranteed position, and also letting his contract run down and down - they're not all the signs of a player totally committed to the club.
He was very very good last night, but he's not like that every week. I'd like him to sign a new contract, but I'd also drop him out of the team in a heartbeat if we had Countinho, Keita and a DM in the squad.

http://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/juventus-ceo-confirms-liverpool-won-t-sell-their-star-68466
[article]Juventus CEO Beppe Marotta talked to Premium Sport ahead of the Old Lady’s Serie A clash against Genoa. No secret the Serie A giants want to sign Liverpool star Emre Can but Marotta has confirmed that the Premier League side won’t sell him.

“Emre Can’s contract expires in 2018 but Liverpool won’t sell him this summer”, Marotta said.

Today’s edition of La Gazzetta dello Sport claims Juventus have already reached an agreement for the signing of the Germany International as a free agent
but Marotta, of course, could not confirm the report as it would be illegal to reach an agreement with a player one year before the expiration of his contract.

“I repeat Can is contracted with Liverpool, we know his contract expires but he is a player of Liverpool at the moment.”

Marotta has also shared his thoughts on Howedes, a Liverpool target wanted by Juve as well. “We want to sign him”, Marotta said. “Talks are ongoing and if our conditions will be met we’ll sign him otherwise we’ll look for an alternative.”
[/article]

The situation with Can and Coutinho is a bit Jekyll and Hyde. On the one hand we have a player willing to fulfill his contract but refusing to sign a new one meaning that he'll leave for free in a year's time.
On the other hand we have a player who refuses to fulfill his contract but his eventual departure would give us a gigantic sum of money.

The situation with Can and Coutinho is a bit Jekyll and Hyde. On the one hand we have a player willing to fulfill his contract but refusing to sign a new one meaning that he'll leave for free in a year's time.
On the other hand we have a player who refuses to fulfill his contract but his eventual departure would give us a gigantic sum of money.

Nah. We have two players that have been asked to honour their contracts, and one refuse to.

By not signing a new one Can is also putting his own future at risk. A bad injury might stop that career with no paychecks. Ha still put the team first.

Hmm how astute of you to notice that Modo.

Hehe, I'm just trying to spell out how a player can be a cunt in one situation while the club can act like cunt in the other situation.

How is the club acting poorly? We don't know what Can wants. I'm led to believe that he keeps turning down our offers

How is the club acting poorly? We don't know what Can wants. I'm led to believe that he keeps turning down our offers
We decided not to agree to his terms, we could have sorted it last summer before Juve or whoever had their eyes on him.

Last edited:
Hehe, I'm just trying to spell out how a player can be a cunt in one situation while the club can act like cunt in the other situation.

It's not really comparable as one has 1 year left and a lucrative bosman deal to look forward to whereas the other has 4 plus years left.

I thought he was far too inconsistent last season and left holes in the midfield more often than not. He's been in a different player in pre season and in these five games and he's defo the best of the three we have. OK, get Keita for his release clause, but we need him regardless. It's going to cost another 50 to get some to replace Can... so it would be very shortsighted if we didn't just give him whatever wages he wants.

It's probs already beyond that now though. He's obv got his heart set on Juve. It's a good job we're going to win the League and CL this year or it would get annoying.

[article]n the 130-second press conference that followed Arsenal’s latest capitulation at Anfield, Arsène Wenger admitted his team were physically, technically and mentally inferior to Liverpool. A damning critique no doubt, but had he held court longer the Arsenal manager could have given a fuller account of Liverpool’s dominance under Jürgen Klopp.

The Liverpool manager tactically outsmarted Wenger in taking his Premier League record against Arsenal to 10 points from a possible 12. Not that Klopp’s three-man midfield and three-pronged attack should have come as any surprise to the Arsenal manager after selecting Aaron Ramsey and Granit Xhaka as his supposed midfield shield.

The victors were sharper and stronger, a reflection perhaps of a pre-season schedule geared to winning the all-important Champions League play-off and passage to the lucrative group stage. Their mental edge, Klopp claimed, stemmed from players wanting to prove to themselves they could replicate the highs of the Hoffenheim performance four days later. It is also a sign of the unity Liverpool possess under their manager, something Arsenal patently lacked throughout their 4-0 defeat.

Another department where Klopp overshadows his Arsenal counterpart was demonstrated by the performance of Emre Can: individual development. The Germany international was outstanding in Liverpool’s midfield, as was the case in the Anfield defeat of Hoffenheim, where Jordan Henderson and Georginio Wijnaldum also over-ran their abject opponents. Can’s contribution, creatively and defensively, underlined why Klopp would rather keep the player for what could be the final season of his Liverpool contract rather than bank a fee with his Anfield future unresolved.

Throughout the Liverpool squad there are individuals whose form and influence have risen markedly under Klopp. If the reason for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s discontent at Arsenal is his sluggish personal development, and not the contract terms on offer, then he would be forgiven for eyeing the opposition ranks with envy on Sunday. Can has flourished this calender year despite playing with injury last season and harbouring some reservations over his role in the team – a factor in his new contract remaining unsigned.

“It was a big, big performance against Arsenal,” said the 23-year-old, who has entered the final year of his deal. “A big compliment to the team. I think everyone did great and I think you can’t play much better than that. Don’t forget we were playing against Arsenal. When was the last time that Liverpool won against Arsenal 4-0? The performance was just great. Of course it will give us confidence and now we go into the internationals and everybody’s happy. It’s a good start now but we have to keep working.”

Juventus have been regularly linked with the former Bayer Leverkusen and Bayern Munich midfielder. However, Klopp hopes a realisation of his importance to the team, one that has returned to the European elite, and the potential for further development will encourage Can to commit to a new deal that the manager wishes had been resolved months ago. There was no evidence of the midfielder having problems with his offensive instructions against Hoffenheim and Arsenal, or in the aftermath of Sunday’s resounding victory.

“The manager expects that from us midfield players and I tried to do it,” Can said. “Of course I can’t do it every time but I tried to do it more often than last year. It’s worked good so far. I think you could see on Wednesday that we played a high tempo and again against Arsenal. You could see that we worked very well in pre-season from the two games. Everybody feels good, everybody feels in good shape and that’s very important.

“If you see the bench we are strong, we are deep. We are strong in the squad. Divock Origi was not in the squad against Arsenal and he’s a great player, so you see just how strong the squad is. We have confidence and we are playing good football. Our performance was good but we need to keep it up. It’s just the start.”[/article]

He has been absolutely incredible the past 2 games. He has the ability to be a game changer - get him locked in long term. We talk about building a team that will be consistent for years to come - get Can as part of the spine of that.

What credible reasons are there for not signing a contract in this case?
  • Not enough money
  • Wants to go elsewhere
  • Not playing enough
He's getting games now, would we really be tight with the money considering the price of replacements? Sounds like he might just want to go somewhere else and pick up a big bonus on the way.

Is there much the club can do right now?

I'd like to think that if it was just money we'd get it over the line.

The problem we have when it comes to the likes of Juve is that they are CL regulars and win titles.

Maybe we can win out with the "you're developing into a top player here, don't fuck with a good thing" angle. But that'd only be buying time.

We either demonstrate that we're a top tier club by winning shit and qualifying for the CL repeatedly or accept that we're a stepping stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom