• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This Old Lady Can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps the club are worried about setting a precedent. If Can gets one, other players might start demanding the same.

I guess it's likely to happen anyways with the market being what it is.

Perhaps the club are worried about setting a precedent. If Can gets one, other players might start demanding the same.

Yeah, they'll become bog-standard before too long.

It's going to become the standard imo - as it is in Spain - as it will allow players to sign contracts and commit, but if that 'dream move' moves come, leave if a correct valuation is matched.

No one that leaves us with broken hearts ever does well - even if they do - it will probably be for a couple of seasons and then its game over. We are not a bad team - and my own view is that the ones that leave do it mainly because they start believing the are the main man for us and feel they are working harder than anyone else, and they deserve more and an easier life. So go to a new team - yeah win a few plastic titles in leagues where you are competing against yourselves and when you lose motivation after two seasons watch yourself fall apart. Always the same fucking story with the impatient early leavers.

1) Imagine what Sterling is thinking right now ...little pawn in the Sanchez exchange.
2) Suarez must be thinking - o'shit knowing how hard he has to work to keep the giant with the broken back standing. Can he be arsed at 30+ ? we will see.
3) Owen being a sub for Real
4) Torres - oh how I wish I was loved like I was at Liverpool.

Yep Mcmanaman didn't win the CL with Madrid..... oh

Suarez didn't win the treble with Barca......... oh
Masher didn't win even more than Suarez...... oh

Yep Mcmanaman didn't win the CL with Madrid..... oh

Suarez didn't win the treble with Barca......... oh
Masher didn't win even more than Suarez...... oh
Yeah but they went when barca were at their peak and they maintained their positions. McMannaman struggled to get in the team after what... 2 seasons....and career ended quite quickly after that.

On the issue of the release fee ... why not .. start the release clause with 400M for first year then knock ot down by 50M next two years so down to 300M after 2 years... then year 4 settle at 150M based on transfer inflation. Basically allow the club to vary it based on market rates and clubs own valuation of the player with clauses saying that these release clauses are only applicable to overseas clubs.

Give him the release clause, just make sure its a nice high value. End of the day we could lose him for free next year so its not like we are in a position of strength on this one.

Yeah but they went when barca were at their peak and they maintained their positions. McMannaman struggled to get in the team after what... 2 seasons....and career ended quite quickly after that.

He's won more abroad than any other English player, won the league twice and the CL twice. Played for Madrid for 4 years before returning to England.

His move was fantastic for him personally.

Exactly. It's a two way street, you can't expect a long, lucrative deal AND the luxury of being able to walk away from that and leave us in the shit at the drop of a hat.

For once, with Coutinho and this, I think the club are bang on. But they need to be trying to get him on a long and deserved deal and if he won't sign, then we need to make the conditions of such a deal transparent, so they can say to the fans that they at least tried and offered what was fair.

That way the blame lies with the player and there's no finger pointing after the event, about him wanting to sign but not getting an offer that he felt represented his worth. If he refuses to sign because we refuse to give him a cheap way out, then fuck him.

He's had a good start to the season but he's had a couple of seasons of indifferent form too. He's still got alot to prove.

He's won more abroad than any other English player, won the league twice and the CL twice. Played for Madrid for 4 years before returning to England.

He was our best player then and left when Madrid started rising again. But he was waiting around quite a bit after the initial honeymoon period of 2 seasons. We were all taking the piss and loving it in our Koptalk days.

Its all too easy over their ... those league titles mean jack shit. No one fucking knows who he is now.

Exactly. It's a two way street, you can't expect a long, lucrative deal AND the luxury of being able to walk away from that and leave us in the shit at the drop of a hat.

For once, with Coutinho and this, I think the club are bang on. But they need to be trying to get him on a long and deserved deal and if he won't sign, then we need to make the conditions of such a deal transparent, so they can say to the fans that they at least tried and offered what was fair.

That way the blame lies with the player and there's no finger pointing after the event, about him wanting to sign but not getting an offer that he felt represented his worth. If he refuses to sign because we refuse to give him a cheap way out, then fuck him.

He's had a good start to the season but he's had a couple of seasons of indifferent form too. He's still got alot to prove.
Screw that, so he leaves but we can say oh well we offered him a fair deal? End of the day he's still gone and will still cost us a more to replace him. Give him the escape clause. It still leaves us financially better off. Better to get some money than NO money at all. We're not in a position of strength and that's our fault. This should have been sorted with 2 seasons to go so we could have sold him.

Give him a larger pay rise if there is no release in the new contract or a smaller raise if there is.

Screw that, so he leaves but we can say oh well we offered him a fair deal? End of the day he's still gone and will still cost us a more to replace him. Give him the escape clause. It still leaves us financially better off. Better to get some money than NO money at all. We're not in a position of strength and that's our fault. This should have been sorted with 2 seasons to go so we could have sold him.

We've been offering him a deal for the last year. So we just give him and Coutinho what they want, by your reckoning, yet you're pointing the finger at the club for not having this sorted?

Should we just bend over backwards for every player?? "Don't worry about making a total cunt out of the manager Philippe lad, go straight back into the team, go on".

Get fucking real Glen.

Just put the same release cause we had in Suarez.. We can consider offers but aren't obliged to sell..

Make it for a ridiculous amount obv..

We've been offering him a deal for the last year. So we just give him and Coutinho what they want, by your reckoning, yet you're pointing the finger at the club for not having this sorted?

Should we just bend over backwards for every player?? "Don't worry about making a total cunt out of the manager Philippe lad, go straight back into the team, go on".

Get fucking real Glen.
I'm saying if they couldn't get it sorted then they should have put him up for sale already rather than taking the risk of losing him for free...which is looking increasingly likely now.

Don't see how putting your best player back in the team is bending over backwards. Plus we all know the same rules don't apply to every player hence why suarez wasn't kicked out the club but instead welcomed back for one more season. That's just how it is. If he benches him fair enough, but i wouldn't be surprised if he starts against City. If Wijnaldum learnt to turn up away from home then dropping coutinho to the bench wouldn't be such a big issue.

Competition really isn't that stiff for that accolade is it? The few English players who go abroad end up coming back a year or 2 later.

He was our best player then and left when Madrid started rising again. But he was waiting around quite a bit after the initial honeymoon period of 2 seasons. We were all taking the piss and loving it in our Koptalk days.

Its all too easy over their ... those league titles mean jack shit. No one fucking knows who he is now.

Fucking behave, moron

2 CL and 2 league titles in arguably the best league in the world. Behave. Any taking the piss was jealousy and he was loved in Madrid if you did your research.

Competition really isn't that stiff for that accolade is it? The few English players who go abroad end up coming back a year or 2 later.

Perhaps but he still had a superb career trophies wise after he left.

It doesn't get much better than what he achieved so it's silly to argue his move wasn't an upturn in his career

Can we please put to bed the theory that everything will be rosy if only we'd insert a 10 billion pound release clause? Therefore at least we'll get that when he walks. Won't be happening.

Yeah....they left us when we were fucking shit and we maintained that too... I'm not sure what your point is.

a footballer's career comes to an end "quickly" when they get old and retire. Im guessing most footballers want to retire with some medals...

Give him the release clause, just make sure its a nice high value. End of the day we could lose him for free next year so its not like we are in a position of strength on this one.

Agree.

It's a compromise and frankly, after this summer every footballer is going to want one.

Exactly and the club knows this. Hence why I think there's more to it than a simple release clause.

Why do people seem to think that a player who is already reluctant to sign a new deal, would sign one with a release clause that's unlikely to be met by any prospective buyer? It doesn't make sense, he already thinks he might want out, so he's not going to put himself in an even worse bargaining position.

He's easily with 100k a week. I'm sure we have players less talented than him on more.
As for a release clause, let him have that too. Better that than nowt less than a year from now and the loss of a boss player who's already playing well in our current squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom