• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Twenty20

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=33653.msg885042#msg885042 date=1244557101]
[quote author=Pesam link=topic=33653.msg884373#msg884373 date=1244475487]
Ireland beat Bangladesh and qualify for last 8. I hope we get England in the quarter-finals and after that I don't care who we get in the semi-final.
[/quote]

;D
[/quote]

I have since found out that there is no quarter final, there are 2 gropus of 4 and the top 2 qualify for the semi-final.

Ireland actually could qualify for the semi final due to the way the groups are drawn.

IF Netherlands qualify they will join Ireland, Sri Lanka and New Zealand in one group which looks considerably easier than the other group with; England, India, West Indies and South Africa.

[quote author=Pesam link=topic=33653.msg885044#msg885044 date=1244557675]
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=33653.msg885042#msg885042 date=1244557101]
[quote author=Pesam link=topic=33653.msg884373#msg884373 date=1244475487]
Ireland beat Bangladesh and qualify for last 8. I hope we get England in the quarter-finals and after that I don't care who we get in the semi-final.
[/quote]

;D
[/quote]

I have since found out that there is no quarter final, there are 2 gropus of 4 and the top 2 qualify for the semi-final.

Ireland actually could qualify for the semi final due to the way the groups are drawn.

IF Netherlands qualify they will join Ireland, Sri Lanka and New Zealand in one group which looks considerably easier than the other group with; England, India, West Indies and South Africa.
[/quote]

The Netherlands are crumbling against Pakistan so it looks almost certain that the last 8 will be.................

England Ireland
West Indies Pakistan
South Africa Sri Lanka
India New Zealand

I hope the Pakistani coach has better luck/protection than Bob Woolmer did when Ireland beat them again.

and Sri Lanka, hope the team is protected from a blaze of bullets when they play

[quote author=Asim link=topic=33653.msg885062#msg885062 date=1244559759]
and Sri Lanka, hope the team is protected from a blaze of bullets when they play
[/quote]

I hope nobody in the media accidentally refers to that group as the "group of death".

Ha, poor Pakistani cricket huh.
They are going to play some test matches V Australia here next year i think

[quote author=Asim link=topic=33653.msg885075#msg885075 date=1244560792]
Ha, poor Pakistani cricket huh.
They are going to play some test matches V Australia here next year i think

[/quote]

Unfortunately it's going to be quite some time before Pakistan can play a home series again.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=33653.msg885041#msg885041 date=1244557054]
They certainly didn't. ;D
[/quote]

Ha Ha.

They've had such quality teams for so long, that it's even more enjoyable now to see them struggle with a side of mere mortals.

It looks like Eoin morgan could be doing an Ed Joyce. Hopefully not as it's early days.
Any idea when we can have Joyce back playing for us?

[quote author=the count link=topic=33653.msg885281#msg885281 date=1244580134]
It looks like Eoin morgan could be doing an Ed Joyce. Hopefully not as it's early days.
[/quote]

I don't think we should take him back, men have been killed for less

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=33653.msg885282#msg885282 date=1244580179]
[quote author=the count link=topic=33653.msg885281#msg885281 date=1244580134]
[/quote]

I don't think we should take him back, men have been killed for less
[/quote]

Ah come on Ross, you cant blame him for wanting to play at the highgest level possible, although in hindsight it does seem to have been a mistake. Comes from good gaelic playing stock as well apparently.

Would you feel the same way if he had played for Australia?

I'm joking Count.

Cricket is a joke of game in this country, so fair play to him for being good enough to play county in England.

The one thing I've always said was dodgy though was how a guy can go from playing for Ireland a load of times, and then at the drop of a hat pledge his allegiance to England. Surely once you've played for one country that should be it ?

Cool Ross, misread what you were saying, sorry.

I am not entirely sure but I think that Ed Joyce had to be living/or playing/or decleared for England for four years before he was allowed to play for them. In the interim, because he was playing for an associate and not a test playing nation, he was allowed to continue playing for Ireland right up to when he became eligable to play for England. Indeed, he was instrumental in helping Ireland to qualify for the 2007 world cup and ended up plaing against them in the same tournament.

All this is for the benefit of the associate nations, in this case Ireland. I think what would happen is that if players were only allowed to represent one country in these circumstances, most decent Irish cricketer would hedge their bets by not playing for Ireland until it was clear that they wouldn't make the grade of test level.

Not 100% sure of all of this as I am not exactly a cricket expert but maybe someone who is will clarify the situation.

I know cricket is a minority sport here but for some reason I really enjoy it and regret never getting the chance to play. I was supposed to play a few Taveners games a couple of years ago but it was the really shit summer and each one was rained off. Ah well.

No, never played it, just fancied having a go.

It is played over here a bit more than you might think and I believe at one stage it was a lot more wide spread that it is now.

I've only ever seen it in Monkstown Rugby Club and Clontarf Rugby club. And I know CUS play it in school, that's about it though.

there is a pitch in pembrook anf of course Trinity as well.
It is pretty big in the North county as well and there are cricket pitches in Skerries, Rush and possibly Lusk as well.

My old man told me that the local farmers used to play a bit where I am from in Co Meath although I don't think that it was very formal. Bear in mind this was probably in the forties or fifties.

How did I forget about Trinity, I think Pembrook are the ones that play our of the same grounds as Monkstown RFC, that's the pitch you can see from the Dartline around Sydney Parade / Sandymount.

Didn't realise it had that many northside clubs.

Yea, that the one, just beyond Sandymount on the dart line heading southbound.

I think you will find that there are cricket pitches all over the country not even including the North.

The Australians continued inability to play against spin could really hurt them when the big dance comes around.

The ball that got Shane Watson the other day typified their problems. Swann could have a fucking field day this summer.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=33653.msg885358#msg885358 date=1244585316]
I've only ever seen it in Monkstown Rugby Club and Clontarf Rugby club. And I know CUS play it in school, that's about it though.
[/quote]

Leinster Cricket Club have (or at least had in my day) a very good set-up in Rathmines, near the Rathmines Inn.

I've just been to the match and it was a good crack. Ireland were bloody awful! Their 'support' was shite about 20 supporters in the whole ground. Decent game though.

[quote author=Ijg link=topic=33653.msg885980#msg885980 date=1244666478]
I've just been to the match and it was a good crack. Ireland were bloody awful! Their 'support' was shite about 20 supporters in the whole ground. Decent game though.
[/quote]

We were toying with the Indians and the other 6 remaining teams by letting them believe we are the weakest team left in the competition. Watch us steamroller all-comers from here-on-in, ain't nobody stopping us.

[quote author=livvy185 link=topic=33653.msg885799#msg885799 date=1244654960]
lol @ Ireland
[/quote]

lol @ England having to pick Irish players.

[quote author=the count link=topic=33653.msg886112#msg886112 date=1244708445]
[quote author=livvy185 link=topic=33653.msg885799#msg885799 date=1244654960]
lol @ Ireland
[/quote]

lol @ England having to pick Irish players.
[/quote]

Kevin Pieterson, Owais Shah, Andrew Strauss.............. Are there any English players playing for England?

Andre Botha, Peter Connell, Jeremy Bray, Trent Johnston, Alex Cusack, Regan West...
Are there any Irelish players playing for Ireland?

Although I guess it's kind of a tradition for your lot, I belive it's called doing a 'Jackie Charlton'...

[quote author=bryndaloo link=topic=33653.msg886269#msg886269 date=1244718527]
Andre Botha, Peter Connell, Jeremy Bray, Trent Johnston, Alex Cusack, Regan West...
Are there any Irelish players playing for Ireland?

Although I guess it's kind of a tradition for your lot, I belive it's called doing a 'Jackie Charlton'...
[/quote]

Haha, I knew sme eejit would come back with something like that. Down through the years British teams have abused the parentage/grand-parentage/naturalised "rules" a lot more than we have.

I once saw a list of sports people who represented Britain over the years (you know the ones; Rusedski, Zola Budd, Lennox lewis et al) and it numbered more than the entire population of Ireland (well nearly).

[quote author=Pesam link=topic=33653.msg886293#msg886293 date=1244720129]

Haha, I knew sme eejit would come back with something like that. Down through the years British teams have abused the parentage/grand-parentage/naturalised "rules" a lot more than we have.

I once saw a list of sports people who represented Britain over the years (you know the ones; Rusedski, Zola Budd, Lennox lewis et al) and it numbered more than the entire population of Ireland (well nearly).
[/quote]

And I was that Eejit! You'd expect nothing less.

By the way, of all the sportsmen/women, hell even cricketers (Robin Smith, Graeme Hick, Allan Lamb, Eoin Morgan, Ed Joyce), you could have chosen you chose London-born boxer Lennox Lewis.

[quote author=bryndaloo link=topic=33653.msg886322#msg886322 date=1244721958]
[quote author=Pesam link=topic=33653.msg886293#msg886293 date=1244720129]

[/quote]

And I was that Eejit! You'd expect nothing less.

By the way, of all the sportsmen/women, hell even cricketers (Robin Smith, Graeme Hick, Allan Lamb, Eoin Morgan, Ed Joyce), you could have chosen you chose London-born boxer Lennox Lewis.
[/quote]

You didn't fall for my trap then!

Back
Top Bottom