• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Tyler Morton

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
I finally watched the full recording of the Norwich game; this game had lots of interesting information and subplots, but the player who really impressed me was the young Tyler Morton. Normally a #8, he slotted in at #6 so naturally like he played there his whole life. His calmness and decision-making instantly won the trust of his teammates and they were constantly looking to pass the ball to him. What really impressed me was his first touch – not just the touch itself, but how his whole body shape is always perfectly balanced and aligned even before he receives the ball, ready to swivel or play a one-touch pass or draw the opponent in before releasing the pass. That feeling of constant effortless control is a sign of a great midfield player and I completely didn't expect to see this in a 18-year-old local lad making his debut after an enforced substitution. He kept his passing and decisions simple for the most part, but you can tell there is so much more in his locker and I want to see more. Remember the name!

Yep was impressed at the time, and watching the involvements reel makes me see that I remember correctly!

With Elliot, Thiago and Keita all out we may see him again sooner than we think...

I agree that he maybe one very important - hopefully he’s ready to step up - I know nothing about him.

Agreed the boy did well. A fucking 18 year old came on and showed Ox how to play in midfield.

It's pretty incredible that Ox's struggles to find a place in our midfield are the same as they have been his entire career. He's worse now, athletically, but just as it was before we bought him, the rub is "he doesn't really suit any particular position," and "is he really a midfielder?"

Last edited:
It's pretty incredible that Ox's struggles to find a place in our midfield are the same as they have been his entire career. He's worse now, athletically, but just as it was before we bought him, the rub is "he doesn't really suit any particular position."
Pretty much.

I finally watched the full recording of the Norwich game; this game had lots of interesting information and subplots, but the player who really impressed me was the young Tyler Morton. Normally a #8, he slotted in at #6 so naturally like he played there his whole life. His calmness and decision-making instantly won the trust of his teammates and they were constantly looking to pass the ball to him. What really impressed me was his first touch – not just the touch itself, but how his whole body shape is always perfectly balanced and aligned even before he receives the ball, ready to swivel or play a one-touch pass or draw the opponent in before releasing the pass. That feeling of constant effortless control is a sign of a great midfield player and I completely didn't expect to see this in a 18-year-old local lad making his debut after an enforced substitution. He kept his passing and decisions simple for the most part, but you can tell there is so much more in his locker and I want to see more. Remember the name!

One of thing that has bothered me with Henderson when he plays in the DM role is that he seems afraid to turn with the ball, like he has some kind of imagenary opposition player behind him always. But look at how Morton played. Wasn't afraid to hold on to the ball, turn and find someone on the other flank. Sometimes, yeah, he passed it straight back. What I'm saying is, this kid is showing great awareness on the pitch for being so young and inexperienced.

That might be because he is still thin, so can turn very quickly. It's a matter of time before the club puts him on the usual "dietary supplements" and he builds unnatural amounts of muscle mass, at which point he'll be able to generate the angular momentum of a tugboat.

Our youth squads are amazing the way they are buying, training and churning out these potentially good (or better) PL players. TAA, Kelleher, Jones, Elliott, Koumetio, Morton, Bradley, Beck and potentially O'Rourke, Musialowski etc.

Can we buy someone called Richard or Richardson so we can have Rick and Morty in midfield?
No chance. Ever since we spurned the opportunity of signing Granit Xhaka to give us the Xhaka/Can experience in midfield I think it proves our board is more interested in trophies than fun name combinations.

IMO this is a mistake; around the time we won the CL in 2005 Charlton Athletic had a right back called Costa and a right midfielder called Fortune. Sure we occasionally hark back to that glorious night in Istanbul but not as often as the Charlton fans revel in the memories of the Costa/Fortune combo.

No chance. Ever since we spurned the opportunity of signing Granit Xhaka to give us the Xhaka/Can experience in midfield I think it proves our board is more interested in trophies than fun name combinations.

IMO this is a mistake; around the time we won the CL in 2005 Charlton Athletic had a right back called Costa and a right midfielder called Fortune. Sure we occasionally hark back to that glorious night in Istanbul but not as often as the Charlton fans revel in the memories of the Costa/Fortune combo.
Lol

He looked assured and really purposeful with the ball. Didnt get to see enough of his pressing and positioning off the ball (i.e. covering full backs) but a great first appearance.

Yes Morton looked cool. And he has plenty of time to fill out. Getting a bit of upper body strength would help. One of the reasons Mini can't play to deep is he can easily be shuved off the ball and that is danger on or around the centre circle. So we can't get carried away by any of the younger players. Agree on The Ox, take £20m if someone came in for him.

They had a back three of Fish Costa Fortune at one point.

It was a boss little cameo; composed on the ball, tough in the tackle, awareness in space, decent vision and ability to pick a pass.

Keen to see more of him.

This is still one of the biggest travesties in world football

It's pretty incredible that Ox's struggles to find a place in our midfield are the same as they have been his entire career. He's worse now, athletically, but just as it was before we bought him, the rub is "he doesn't really suit any particular position," and "is he really a midfielder?"
Every Arsenal supporter I know says he was only ever decent for them as a wing back in a 352

He was magnificent one game at centre mid against AC Milan about 10 years ago

Every Arsenal supporter I know says he was only ever decent for them as a wing back in a 352

Well, Klopp did reinvent him as an AM/CM and it looked a masterstroke until the leg break. Now he seems to have irreversibly reverted back to the winger type; always looking lost and helpless in the middle, but far happier on the wing, particularly LW. I guess it’s time for Klopp to accept that Ox can only be a back-up winger in this team.

Well, Klopp did reinvent him as an AM/CM and it looked a masterstroke until the leg break. Now he seems to have irreversibly reverted back to the winger type; always looking lost and helpless in the middle, but far happier on the wing, particularly LW. I guess it’s time for Klopp to accept that Ox can only be a back-up winger in this team.

Our team doesn't have wingers, so he's fucked.

Reactions: jan
Its interesting that Klopp's now done this twice - i.e. try to put a wide right attacking player in midfield. Wijnaldum was essentially a winger for Newcastle, but went straight into our midfield 3.

One of my biggest criticisms of Wijnaldum was how often the game passed him by. Same thing happens to Ox. And that's the problem I guess. Wingers are used to playing a game of finding space and waiting on the ball to come to them, rather than demanding it and recycling it.

Its interesting that Klopp's now done this twice - i.e. try to put a wide right attacking player in midfield. Wijnaldum was essentially a winger for Newcastle, but went straight into our midfield 3.

One of my biggest criticisms of Wijnaldum was how often the game passed him by. Same thing happens to Ox. And that's the problem I guess. Wingers are used to playing a game of finding space and waiting on the ball to come to them, rather than demanding it and recycling it.
Don't you dare compare Wijnaldum with Ox.

Our team doesn't have wingers, so he's fucked.

Wing-forward, if you like. He’s done a serviceable job substituting for Mane in the past and against Norwich the contrast in his performance level in the first half (midfield) and second (wing) was huge. Ox has always been a type who likes the ball at his feet and wants to run at defenders and past them into free space behind them where he can cross or shoot. He still has all the skills and strength to go past players, goal threat as well as good energy and work rate, what he seems to have lost irrevocably since the injury is precise first touch, close control and passing/playmaking ability - in short everything that would make him suitable for playing in midfield. I think Ox can still be a useful member of the squad if Klopp accepts that this is the player he is now and starts using him in ways that emphasize his strengths instead of weaknesses.

Last edited:

He has an old-school continental holding midfielder vibe, something of a Didi Hamann, perhaps with a bit of Jorginho. I’m liking what I’m seeing.

Last edited:

He has an old-school continental holding midfielder vibe, something of a Didi Hamann, perhaps with a bit of Jorginho. I’m liking what I’m seeing.

I think you described him brilliantly, that body frame is Didi like yet can move like Jorginho. I get that.

I think you described him brilliantly, that body frame is Didi like yet can move like Jorginho. I get that.

Also that looping “quarterback” pass over the top he likes to do - not quite the same trajectory as Jorginho’s, but close enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom