• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Victor Wanyama- Southampton and Cardiff interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
If we can't get Alonso, I think this lad could be an excellent player for us (and highly recommended by Pesam too). We'll face quite a bit of competition if we're to get him though:

Quick line in The Daily Star that we should see repeated over the summer months.

The paper claims that Arsene Wenger will 'redouble his efforts' to sign midfielder Victor Wanyama from Celtic, despite Alex Song apparently keen on a return to Arsenal.

The Star reckons Wanyama is Wenger's preferred target, and a bid of around £10million will get the Kenyan midfielder.

WANYAMA FOR LIVERPOOL?

Exactly that. Victor Wanyama is apparently one of four players that Liverpool want to buy this summer. The Celtic midfielder is expected to head south this summer for £10m and the Daily Mail claims that Liverpool are interested along with both Manchester clubs, Arsenal, Everton and Sunderland.

'Liverpool want four new players in the summer but are also likely to offload some of their big earners to help offset the cost and lower their wage bill,' continues the report. When they say 'big eaerners', do they basically mean everybody brought in by Kenny Dalglish

Source: Footy365.com

The fact he can also cover the CB position just makes him even more attractive.

Who's the four then?

Williams, Wanyama, Eriksen, Lazar perhaps?I guess there could be a few cheapish youngsters added to that list. A striker and a LB perhaps.

My guess on who's leaving: Skrtel, Coates, Assaidi, Carroll, Pacheco. Perhaps one of Borini and Shelvey too?

First XI
Reina, Johnson, Williams, Agger, Enrique, Wanyama, Gerrard, Eriksen, Coutinho, Suarez, Sturridge

Subs
Jones, McLaughlin, Kelly, Wisdom, Downing, Henderson, Lucas, Allen, Shelvey, Lazar, Sterling, Ibe, Suso, Borini

Let's not do this to ourselves.

Why would he come?

We're a pretty big team, and if none of the other big boys make a solid approach, it's more than possible. I think this deal will come down to whether or not United want him, I hope to fuck the Ferguson midfield blind spot continues.

Isn't he fucking gash on the ball?
Watched him a few times this season and he looks slow and labored on the ball.
Very strong in the air though and very good in the tackle.

We're a pretty big team, and if none of the other big boys make a solid approach, it's more than possible. I think this deal will come down to whether or not United want him, I hope to fuck the Ferguson midfield blind spot continues.
Unfortunately it's a given he's going to United............the 3 players I've "championed" most over the last 3 seasons have been Zaha, Powell and........Wanyama. Obviously United have already taken my advice on the first 2 and Wanyama will be next.

I will be keeping my opinions on possible future talent to myself in future.
*Flicks "V" sign at Slur Alex*

Isn't he fucking gash on the ball?
Watched him a few times this season and he looks slow and labored on the ball.
Very strong in the air though and very good in the tackle.
Nah, he more than decent on the ball. I was a big fan of his last season but reserved judgement until his 2 performances against Barca this season. He was awesome in both games, never looked troubled by the enormity of the task and shadowed Xavi, Iniesta et al relentlessly until he saw the opportune moment to strike and then he was clinical in the tackle. He reminds me a lot of Essien.

His stock has certainly rose over the past 5 months. :p

http://www.sixcrazyminutes.com/index.php?threads/victor-wanyama.19527/

Looks like a potential tough fight.

23 Jan 2013
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson watched Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama in action last night.

The Red Devils boss was in attendance for Celtic's 4-0 victory over Dundee United as the Kenyan midfielder put in the kind of impressive display, capped with a goal, that has been attracting interest from the Premier League.

13 Feb 2013
Arsenal sent a scout to Parkhead on last night to watch Celtic’s Victor Wanyama, with Arsène Wenger having identified the holding midfield as a transfer priority this summer.

Wenger failed with a deadline bid for Toulouse midfielder Etienne Capoue but is also actively watching other targets and requested a report on Wanyama from Tuesday night’s Champions League match against Juventus.

15 Feb 2013
Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has played down speculation linking the Blues with Celtic's Victor Wanyama - although admitted he does rate the Kenyan powerhouse.

The Blues reportedly scouted the 21-year-old during Celtic's defeat against Juventus, where Wanyama impressed despite being on the losing side.

When asked about the player at Friday's press conference Mancini said: “I saw him for the first time against Juventus, I never saw him before. But every time I go to see a game, the next day people say ‘Manchester City want to buy this player'.

When asked if he is of interest to City Mancini added: “In the moment, no. I think he is a good player.”

Btw, hi all! Glad to be back ;)

20 November 2012

Victor Wanyama was the wide-eyed, almost awestruck television interviewee in the immediate aftermath of Celtic's win over Barcelona. Earlier he had scored a goal and outshone Alex Song, Barça's player in a similar midfield role, in showing the wider world that maybe, just maybe, Neil Lennon was correct to place such a lofty value on Wanyama.

Eyebrows were raised when Lennon claimed Wanyama, a player bought by Celtic for £900,000 from Belgian football last year, is now worth £25m. The Scottish champions are under no pressure to sell any squad member, but Wanyama's string of high-level displays against foreign opposition only endorse the sentiment that it's just a matter of time before he exits Glasgow. On Tuesday evening in Lisbon's Estádio da Luz, Wanyama will be afforded his latest round of intense, wider focus.

Already, the least Celtic can expect in such a scenario is 10 times their investment. Gone are the days when Celtic's followers can take umbrage at the prospect of players using their team as a platform to England. By the board's own admission, that is a modern-day, economic reality.

Wanyama, born in Kenya but who intriguingly played youth football in Sweden, is now a hot property, of that there is no doubt. Larger clubs from across Europe, including Barcelona, monitored his progress during relative obscurity at AC Beerschot without making the same formal move of Celtic after Lennon acted instantly when provided with match footage. Initially, Wanyama was regarded as a long-term project by Lennon; the combination of midfield injuries and the youngster's instantly impressive first-team form altered that dynamic.

Now Arsenal, Manchester United and Manchester City are routinely quoted with more than a passing interest in the Kenyan, who ensured instant acclaim from the Celtic support by choosing the squad number 67, in recognition of the club's celebrated, European Cup-winning Lisbon Lions of that year.

Victor Mugabe Wanyama's family sporting credentials are beyond dispute. He is the brother of McDonald Mariga, the Internazionale midfielder currently on loan at Parma, and of Mercy, a female basketball player. The trio's other two siblings play in the top league in their native Kenya, while their father, Noah Wanyama, was himself a footballer. Victor Wanyama made his Kenya international debut at 15; this year, he is on the shortlist for the country's sports personality of the year award.

The 21-year-old has been deployed on occasion at centre-back by Celtic but is most comfortable in the centre of midfield. He combines a mobile but physically imposing approach with strong tackling, decent distribution and a fearsome, if under-used, shot. In emphasising his all-round game, Wanyama has a wonderful capability to glide past opponents. His attitude is also praised by everyone who has worked with him in Scotland.

Lennon has already described Wanyama as "world class", the Celtic manager adding: "He's a player who has progressed in physical presence and his technical ability on the ball is excellent. I think he is a wonderful talent and he can only get better."

Yet with youth also comes inconsistency. Just four days after seeing off Barcelona, Wanyama toiled as Celtic were held at home by St Johnstone. Domestically, if forgivably, that wasn't an isolated Wanyama display.

Celtic hold Wanyama under contract until 2015, but already there have been agent-led noises about the midfielder seeking a bigger platform and rejecting the offer of a wage improvement. Bargaining tactic No1 from the Wanyama camp, of course, will be that if Celtic value the Nairobi-born man so highly they should pay him accordingly. Given the clear mutual benefit of Wanyama's arrival in Scotland, it would be sad if he exits on anything other than favourable terms.

All of which raises the question over what monetary value Celtic can legitimately look to collect when Wanyama is inevitable coaxed towards bigger things. It would rank as a major shock if Lennon's figure is met, a matter which is more related to Wanyama's present working environment than his level of talent.

Craig Gordon and Alan Hutton were coaxed to England from Hearts and Rangers respectively for close to £10m, with such fees for cross-border moves rare rather than the rule. Celtic sold Aiden McGeady to Spartak Moscow for a similar amount, even if the riches at the disposal of Russian clubs renders it difficult to use the Republic of Ireland player as a comparison.

Still, Wanyama's fee will also depend on which clubs follow through with moves to sign him. A bidding war, clearly, would benefit the selling club, as would Wanyama continuing his European prominence against Benfica and in a Celtic team which has solid hopes of progressing to theChampions League's knockout phase.

Such qualification is Wanyama's most immediate aim. His future already looks well capable of taking care of itself.

View: http://vimeo.com/53404529

http://republicfootball.net/forza-victor-wanyama-celtic-and-the-view-from-kenya/

Wanyama’s humility and down-to-earth attitude is evidence of his real talent, talent that I first saw in his days playing for Nairobi City Stars. I believe he is one of the key players that have helped Celtic in their vital transition and European renaissance. Instead of relying upon a more direct approach, Celtic now often play with poise and delicacy.

At the heart of the transformation has been Victor Wanyama who has ensured every team in the Premier League are on the hunt to sign him. Needless to say the fans at Celtic love Wanyama and he has often been the creative hub through which the tempo and a lot of the team’s attacking force are channeled.

Players of this type are premium commodities but Wanyama’s heart and spirit has been at Celtic where he has managed to prove himself to all.

I love the fact that Wanyama acknowledges Celtic showed trust in him, plucking from Belgian side Germinal Beerschot and at one time Victor told me that he loves the club so much he decided to take 67 as his squad number to honour the club’s great history.

In the height of the many rumours of interest from Manchester United and Arsenal, Victor told me: ‘I just want to concentrate on my football at Celtic and all these transfer rumours will not distract me at all.’ Those were words of a player committed to his team.

I vividly remember two months ago when I got a message from Wanyama telling me he was coming to Kenya to visit his family and that he had a very precious gift for me that was coveted Celtic jerseys for me and my son Prince John Essien that was one of my happiest days and I wear the strip with a lot of pride and respect.

Some Celtic fans have done one better than that and recently travelled all the way to Nairobi to do charity work in the sprawling Kibera slums in the heart of the city. This is a commendable move and shows what the club and its supporters around the world have a unique and long-lasting bond.

Wanyama has not only made his family who are also ardent Celtic fans proud but all Kenyans are excited and Victor Wanyama has become a big name throughout Africa because of his outstanding performances for Celtic. Yes we all agree that any player’s dream is to make it big, but I believe Victor has still a lot to offer Celtic who have never shied away from signing African players.

Collins Okinyo

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/celtic-star-victor-wanyama-opens-1479118

Victor, 21, showed host Lungile Radu his games room, where he passes the time playing Fifa Soccer 13 on his PlayStation 3.

“I’m very good at Fifa on the PlayStation,” he said. “My best team is Man United.”

Victor’s wardrobe is also stuffed with designer gear – as well as a You’ll Never Walk Alone scarf.

Although it’s rapidly filling up with bottles of champagne from Victor’s man of the match awards, none of them have been opened.

And his kitchen looks like it’s actually been used since he moved in. Victor learned cooking from his mum and loves knocking up some pasta for his tea.

Victor clearly has his feet on the ground despite his success. Photographer Jeff Mitchell, who met him at a recent shoot, said: “He was really cool. He was nice and relaxed and gave me loads of time.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...n-admits-juventus-star-andrea-pirlo-1-2726941

CELTIC’s Victor Wanyama has been likened to a young Patrick Vieira by Juventus midfielder Andrea Pirlo, who has admitted that the Serie A giants are running scared of the Kenyan international.

Ahead of the clubs’ Champions League clash in the last 16, Italian legend Pirlo believes that Wanyama, who can operate in defence or in midfield, will be Celtic’s biggest threat.

Pirlo said: “You need players to step up when you get to the last 16. You need your best players to have great individual games.

“I look at Celtic and the player you think could do that for them is Victor Wanyama.

“His performance in the win over Barcelona was exceptional.”

Wanyama scored the opening goal in Celtic’s shock 2-1 win over the Catalan giants, and has no shortage of admirers, with Neil Lennon slapping a £25 million price tag on the 21-year-old’s head to ward off English Premier League sides Arsenal and Manchester United.

Pirlo and his team-mates have faced Wanyama’s brother, McDonald Mariga, who turns out for Inter Milan, but the 33-year-old feels the younger brother has the skills to worry Juventus.

“There is a calmness about Wanyama where he plays the right pass and does the simple things well under pressure. He has the attributes of a young Patrick Vieira.

“He is big and can be a presence in the middle with his tackling. You can see why big European clubs have shown an interest in him.”

Wanyama’s agent Rob Moore confirmed in October of last year that the player had turned down an improved contract offer from Celtic because several aspects fell short of his expectations. Celtic reportedly turned down an offer for Wanyama during the summer prior to that.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-top-january-transfer-wish-lists-8297313.html

Still only 21 years of age, the defensive midfielder-cum-top scorer began his career playing in his native Nairobi before appearing for the youth team of Swedish heavyweights Helsingborgs IF. He signed his first professional contract with Belgian Pro League side Beerschot AC in 2008, and was soon attracting interest from the likes of CSKA Moscow and Celtic. After numerous failed recruitment attempts by both sides, the Glasgow club finally managed to sign the player in July 2011 for the modest reported sum of £900,000.

Now in his second season with the Scottish champions, Wanyama has become known for his impressive physicality, robust tackling and eye for goal. Primarily a defensive midfielder, he occasionally finds himself deployed at the centre of defence, not least due to his excellent reading of the game - somewhat belying his tender years.

Wanyama's goal-scoring prowess first became apparent when Celtic hosted Hearts in December 2011, during which he fired a powerful shot from 25 yards which flew into the top corner, winning the game for the Bhoys. Wanyama has since added to his tally, primarily through a series of towering headers, and now finds himself Celtic's top scorer this season with four goals.

Currently in the second year of a four year contract, Wanyama last month turned down an improved contract offer from Celtic, citing the desire for a more lucrative base salary as the main reason for doing so. One expects that the reported interest of English and continental clubs, not least Arsenal, who were believed to be lining up the midfielder as a direct replacement for Barcelona-bound Alex Song, may have also played a part in his refusal to commit to Celtic.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/...f-the-victor-wanyama-midfield-role-at-celtic/

Celtic's unexpected semi-final defeat to St Mirren a week ago wasn't just a staggering jolt to a young team gleaming with hot prospects.

Their manager, not blameless himself, accused his players of performing like spoiled kids. But for one player in particular - arguably the jewel in the crown - it was a stark reminder that there is a long way to go before strolling into the heady heights of an elite English Premiership team.

Victor Wanyama was outstanding in a 4-0 demolition of Dundee Utd, with Sir Alex Ferguson among other interested parties in attendance - but since then it's been a troublesome period for the precocious Kenyan.

At Hampden in the cup, he was a pale imitation of the brutish ballwinner-cum-playmaker that piqued the interest of Europe's elite through monstrous performances against Spartak Moscow and Barcelona. Lennon's recent move to 4-3-3 hasn't helped, with Wanyama and his companion water-carriers on either side strangled by St Mirren's numerical midfield advantage.

It was five against three, with Lennon abandoning the system after only 13 minutes. By then St Mirren deservedly led thanks to their blistering start, with a second narrowly missed chance from Stephen McGinn prompting the abrupt change in formation.

Perhaps too much had been asked of Wanyama, whose dynamism and presence gives the sense of two players worth of effort. The initial pitting of three midfielders against five suggests Lennon has faith that that athleticism can make up such numerical shortfalls - but not on this occasion.

With the Kenyan FA claiming Celtic's star asset is on the brink of joining "one of the big two clubs in the world" it seems increasingly likely that the growing hype in this case is justified. He is the real deal.

Yet despite apparent interest, given comments last year by Sir Alex, Wanyama doesn't appear a natural fit for Manchester Utd. Just eight months ago he told the official Man Utd website: "I don’t think we’ve had a holding player since I’ve been here. We’ve never had a holding player.

“We tried to get Roy Keane to do that but he just couldn't do it. He had to play a way that was his own way of playing, so I’ve not had it for 25 years. Why should I think about it now?”

If Wanyama's C.V. boasts one thing, it's of being effective in just that position - a midfield anchor. Making his debut for Celtic at centre-back, his unique selling points quickly became clear - a potent mix of strength, ball-winning, aerial ability and dominating physique. Recently his passing game has developed, not unlike Alexander Song at Arsenal who went from no nonsense ball-winner to rangy playmaker, catching the interest of Barcelona in the process, where he now plies his trade.

Broadly speaking, teams across Europe have been opting out of selecting those deployed in such "Makelele" roles. Javier Mascherano was relegated into defence for Barcelona, Manchester Utd use the technically gifted Michael Carrick, as Arsenal do with Mikel Arteta. Juventus' deepest midfielder is Andrea Pirlo and German giants Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich prefer ball-playing options like Sven Bender and Javi Martinez respectively.

If the holding midfielder is disappearing across Europe, it isn't to say that Wanyama couldn't excel. His battering-ram performance against Barcelona will remind Ferguson and co. that in the ever changing landscape of football tactics, there's inevitably a place for brute force. Or, like those who see their position in midfield ebbing away, he may find himself at centre-back - like Song, Mascherano or Daniel De Rossi.

He may stay in Glasgow beyond even this summer, considering his contract expires in 2015, but like all of the up and coming starlets on Celtic's books, ultimately his aim is outwith Scotland. While Lawwell will focus on getting the right price, Lennon must now step up finding a capable replacement.

Sorry for the long post. Articles I came across while digging up on him. Thought I'd lump them in 1 post then makes several ones.

Thanks for the 'welcome'. Missed SCM and all too. It'd been a hectic past 5 mths. Back in time for the final lap of 12/13 season though. :p

The SCM world seems right again now that Binny is back.
Five months eh!
Wasn't a long stretch, was it.

Wanyama would be a great signing. He would add everything we're missing in midfield these days. At the same time he's very capable of dropping down as a cb.

10 mill is a great deal.

Say's the man who wanted Amir Zaki.

Unlike someone I know I learn from my mistakes although I would say someone tearing up the Premireship is a bit easier to want that someone beating Scottish pub teams all over the shop and a couple of massive games in europe.

Unlike someone I know I learn from my mistakes although I would say someone tearing up the Premireship is a bit easier to want that someone beating Scottish pub teams all over the shop and a couple of massive games in europe.

Yes Dreamy, if SCM was to award you any honour it would absolutely be the "Man who learns from his mistakes" one.

The fact that he can play CB and DM makes him a valuable asset. If we can't get him i'd still like to get Diame though. I don't see how we wouldn't want him at 3.5m. I guess he's too tall and strong for a Rodgers team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom