• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Victor Wanyama- Southampton and Cardiff interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference between lucas and wanyama isn't THAT big. He's not in the top class bracket.
Reductio ad absurdum Glen, obviously there is a huge gulf between Bale and Downing and less so between Lucas and Wanyama but IMO the gap could go on to be as big! Wanyama has huge potential and is only 21.

Reductio ad absurdum Glen, obviously there is a huge gulf between Bale and Downing and less so between Lucas and Wanyama but IMO the gap could go on to be as big! Wanyama has huge potential and is only 21.

.... So what you're saying is.... Bring him in to challenge Lucas and if his potential becomes reality then he can stay.

Or are we going to do the "he's been great in a shit league therefore he'll be great in a top league" thing again.

.... So what you're saying is.... Bring him in to challenge Lucas and if his potential becomes reality then he can stay.

Or are we going to do the "he's been great in a shit league therefore he'll be great in a top league" thing again.
Which ever way you do it Stevie there are risks. If you sign a player who has been great but in a lesser league e.g. Holland, you can never be 100% sure if you're getting a Suarez, Van Nistelrooy, Vertonghen or a Babel, Drenthe (or the Ductch froward Chelsea signed about 10 years ago).

It's the same with young talent in the lower divisions; for every Bale, Walcott, Hart there's an Oxlade-Chamberlain*, Delph, Kennedy (Millwall - LFC) etc. I suggested bids for Powell & Zaha a few years ago but unfortunately Uited got both players BUT there is still a chance neither of them will prove worthy of their fees - it's impossible to know for sure.

It comes down to whether or not the fee is worthy of the risk involved and I think Wanyama for £10m is very well worth the risk and I would suggest anything under £14m we should be looking to sign him.

* A bit unfair on Ox-Chamberlain because he's still very young and could go onto the prove a bargain.

I have no problem with us buying him for a reasonable price - but any suggestion that he should walk straight in to a starting position is misplaced.

I have no problem with us buying him for a reasonable price - but any suggestion that he should walk straight in to a starting position is misplaced.
I'll be honest Stevie that, even though I have said that there's no guarantee he'll be a success if he signs for us, I would put him straight in the first team - my opinion of Lucas's ability is THAT low; if he proves to be the "real deal" he'll improve the team, in the unlikely event he's a dud we won't be any worse off than we are at present.

Which ever way you do it Stevie there are risks. If you sign a player who has been great but in a lesser league e.g. Holland, you can never be 100% sure if you're getting a Suarez, Van Nistelrooy, Vertonghen or a Babel, Drenthe (or the Ductch froward Chelsea signed about 10 years ago).

It's the same with young talent in the lower divisions; for every Bale, Walcott, Hart there's an Oxlade-Chamberlain*, Delph, Kennedy (Millwall - LFC) etc. I suggested bids for Powell & Zaha a few years ago but unfortunately Uited got both players BUT there is still a chance neither of them will prove worthy of their fees - it's impossible to know for sure.

It comes down to whether or not the fee is worthy of the risk involved and I think Wanyama for £10m is very well worth the risk and I would suggest anything under £14m we should be looking to sign him.

* A bit unfair on Ox-Chamberlain because he's still very young and could go onto the prove a bargain.

I think he has every chance. He may have been overhyped at times but IMO he's talented, versatile and mature for his age.

About Powell, on the other hand, I have my doubts. I actually know a Crewe supporter who's seen him play and reckons he's a big-time Charlie who may well not measure up to the pressure for excellence which he'll face at that club.

I think he has every chance. He may have been overhyped at times but IMO he's talented, versatile and mature for his age.

About Powell, on the other hand, I have my doubts. I actually know a Crewe supporter who's seen him play and reckons he's a big-time Charlie who may well not measure up to the pressure for excellence which he'll face at that club.
If I had to predict who was least likely to become a world class players out of Powell, Zaha and Wanyama I'd say Powell. Unfortunately I think he could become a top player but I reckon Zaha and Wanyama are even more likely. Then again that's probably why he "only" cost £4m compared to the £15m for Zaha and (rumoured) £10m+ for Wanyama.

In terms of ensuring value for money a good rule of thumb would be to never buy a player that already has his own thread on your fans' football forums.

Wanyama captained Kenya against Nigeria last week when they lost 1-0, and he remains in his homeland as they gear up for a World Cup qualifier with Malawi later this week.

The 21-year-old talked to Kenyan's National TV station NTV about his Celtic future as he is continually linked with a move to England.

"I still have contract with Celtic and I am their player, if anything comes up and it is good for me and the club, from there I will move on," he admitted.

Asked about whether he was currently in talks with any English Premier League sides, he continued: "At the moment there are some things, some talks going on.

"But I am concentrating with the national side and I have left that with my agent and I have not contacted him.

"There are talks going on, but as I said I am on international duty and I will now what is going on when I go back to the club."

Wanyama himself is struggling with leg injury, meaning he is unlikely to play this week.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...thampton-transfers-victor-wanyama-12m-1972699

Southampton are ready to splash out a record £12million for Celtic’s midfield dynamo Victor Wanyama.

Nicola Cortese, the Saints' chairman, has been haggling with the Scottish champions for weeks, and sources close to the situation claim a fee will be agreed and Wanyama cleared for talks over a much-anticipated move to the Premier League.

Wanyama made his name in last season's Champions League, where Celtic beat Barcelona in the group stage.

Manchester United, Arsenal and Tottenham have watched the 6ft 2in Kenyan closely, but neither would pay the required fee and offer the player a regular game.

Cash-rich Saints, who signed Lyon and Croatia defender Dejan Lovren last week, will tick both those boxes.

Southampton are locked in talks with Celtic officials about the fine points of the transfer and expect to seal the transfer shortly.

Didn't Morgan Schneiderlin do a good job for them last season? Would be surprised if no other clubs move in with concrete offers for him though. To be honest, if I were him, I'd rather stay at Celtic for more experience and CL football then move to Southampton (with all due respect to them and EPL).

He'll get a massive pay hike at Southampton and the chance to show he can do it against better teams.

Would be a good move.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...diff-bid-Celtics-Victor-Wanyama-accepted.html
Cardiff City are rivalling Southampton in the £12million battle for Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama.

Southampton have had a bid accepted by Celtic but the move will trigger a six-club tussle for the Kenya international.

Galatasaray are also ready to match the £12m offer while Liverpool, Newcastle and Stoke are monitoring negotiations as they consider stepping in to the bidding.

Wanyama, 21, signed for Celtic from Belgium club Beerschot in 2011 for £900,000 and his performances have attracted interest from Manchester United, City, Arsenal and Everton.

However, with those clubs turning to other targets, ambitious Southampton have made the first bold move.

Wanyama is understood to prefer a move to Liverpool but they have other priorities they need to sign first.

Wanyama said: ‘I am on holiday, I am only hearing this from the media but I can say the deal is far from being complete. Yes, my club has agreed terms with Southampton, but I will also have to agree to terms too.’

Southampton appear to be close to pulling off a real coup – the signing of Victor Wanyama from Celtic for just 12.5 million pounds.

The back page of Scotland on Sunday says Wanyama spent Saturday in talks with Southampton on what would be a record fee secured by a Scottish club.
Wanyama, just 21, had an outstanding season for Celtic as they secured the Scottish league and cup double.

The Kenyan midfielder had been linked with a host of England’s biggest clubs including Arsenal and Manchester United.

With Celtic having secured Wanyama from Beerschot in Belgium for just 900,000 pounds, this transfer will see the SPL champions make a significant profit on the midfield enforcer.

Southampton meanwhile will likely be confident of profiting from Wanyama who at just 21 has many years of high class football ahead of him.

Alongside Morgan Schneiderlin, Mauricio Pochettino could have at his disposal two young, dynamic and hard working midfielders to protect the Southampton defence next season.

BNZOlB4CMAED6-S.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom