• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Virgiling on the vandijkulous

I often think Suarez moving to Barcelona instead of staying at Liverpool was a clear sign of his laziness and lack of ambition
While your cheeky comment did make me smirk there is a genuine point in what Macca is saying though. However it's only really valid when looking at future/upcoming stars in say Holland, Belgium, France. You obv can't argue - and I am quite certain @gkmacca didn't attend to either - why anyone would ever think twice before moving to Barca because that is quite clearly the holy land for footballers this day and age.

Where Suarez however actually did perhaps move against the tide, was in choosing us ahead of some of the oil clubs where his starting chances may have been more limited. And that is why, I believe we should really go all out on the top talents from the leagues below us - also the few ones so obviously amazing like Mbappe, and test their 'interest' in being promised a starting spot in a top 6 club ahead of facing a potential struggle with playing time at a top 3 club.

Those players are out there but they are probably not aplenty - i.e. (forgive me here, but I can of course only comment of the incidents I know of where this actually happened) but Christian Eriksen rejected both City and Chelsea before moving to Spurs and Dolberg has already ruled himself out of a move to both Manchester clubs. The road to the first team might be too long and bumpy there, why they prefer to be a bigger fish in smaller pond, an integral part of a team building and battling to come back on top.

While your cheeky comment did make me smirk there is a genuine point in what Macca is saying though. However it's only really valid when looking at future/upcoming stars in say Holland, Belgium, France. You obv can't argue - and I am quite certain @gkmacca didn't attend to either - why anyone would ever think twice before moving to Barca because that is quite clearly the holy land for footballers this day and age.

Where Suarez however actually did perhaps move against the tide, was in choosing us ahead of some of the oil clubs where his starting chances may have been more limited. And that is why, I believe we should really go all out on the top talents from the leagues below us - also the few ones so obviously amazing like Mbappe, and test their 'interest' in being promised a starting spot in a top 6 club ahead of facing a potential struggle with playing time at a top 3 club.

How many "oil clubs" were genuinely interested in buying him? The idea Suarez chose us out of any grand ambition to play for Liverpool is fucking risible. He publically agitated for a move to fucking Arsenal before he eventually left.

How many "oil clubs" were genuinely interested in buying him? The idea Suarez chose us out of any grand ambition to play for Liverpool is fucking risible. He publically agitated for a move to fucking Arsenal before he eventually left.
I have no idea and didn't even bother to google it, but I guess they COULD'VE been interested. It was more hypothetical like, that he chose us, despite PERHAPS being wanted elsewhere. That's also why I mentioned the two incidents where I actually know for a fact, that the players themselves ruled out moves to bigger clubs in search of guaranteed playing time.

Last edited:
I have no idea and didn't even bother to google it, but I guess they COULD'VE been interested. It was more hypothetical like, that he chose us, despite PERHAPS being wanted elsewhere. That's also why I mentioned the two incidents where I actually know for a fact, that the players themselves ruled out moves to bigger clubs in search of a more stable near future despite the interest shown in them.

What the fuck are you talking about?

That always disappoints me. Not surprises, but disappoints. Really top players should have egos the size of planets and assume that THEY will make the difference to a team - not the team makes a difference to them. It's really an admission that they won't make that much difference if their decision hinges on which team ALREADY has the best chance of winning things. It's lazy rather than ambitious, in spite of the spin.

And there's a strange logic to it, too - why would the teams that already have the best chance of winning stuff, without adding the player, be the ones to pay the most to get them? That team should be the one on the next rung down. But somehow, in their warped world of football these days, it makes sense to those involved.

I wholeheartidly agree. It saddens me, but it's the way players seem to think these days.

Why be the difference and struggle for a league title, when you can just join the champions and pick up one for free effectively.

Looking at Southampton's local press, they are not going to take 50 mill. Paying over that is verging on the ridiculous. Or virgiling on the vandijkulous, if you will.

I wouldnt pay anything over 30m

Hes not THAT fucking good.

Its not about the money. We have the money, its just not worth it.
Likewise Salah for more than 25m

These are NOT world class players. They are really good ones.

World class costs 100 mill plus now.

Most sensible post on transfers I've read anywhere regarding players real value.

If not Van Dijk, then who? I hope we'd got other targets lined up. He's not the best CB in the world.

I'm with Oncy that we can't afford to pay 75m. He could flop (and who's to say the injury hasn't taken half a yard of pace off him; hell, he could re-injure himself first game back). Unlike Chelsea/City, we don't have that luxury to take such a risk. I'd prefer to see him play first, before spending a huge chunk of our budget.

I don't mind risking and overpaying a little bit (as we did on Mane). But anything over 35m for a defender is ridiculous. In fact, I don't think defenders not named Maldini/Cannavaro/Nesta should be going for over 30m. Those kind of fees are usually reserved for forwards and/or bonafide world class players.

From This is Anfield. Not good if true... How will Klopp react if we end up losing out because of this?

Liverpool’s Virgil Van Dijk deal threatened by Reds’ change of wage offer

Chris Williams
1 June 2017

Liverpool’s deal to sign Southampton centre-back Virgil Van Dijk is hanging in the balance after the Merseyside club tried to restructure the already agreed wage deal late into negations.
PA-29631176-600x382.jpg

By Chris Williams for This Is Anfield
With Van Dijk originally being offered £180k per week, Liverpool are understood to have tried to restructure the deal late on, offering a basic wage of £130k per week, rising to £180k per week with add-ons.

Liverpool’s late stance has apparently angered Van Dijk’s representatives, and the Dutchman’s agents were not shy in letting the club know they were not the only suitors for his signature. Last night The Times reported that Manchester City were ready to offer the Dutch international the deal he favoured, at the level initially agreed at Liverpool – a straight £180k per week. This was no coincidence.
Liverpool is still Van Dijk’s preferred location, but the Reds’ late change of heart on the wage structure could throw the whole deal into doubt. Should the Reds fail to address the issue, City and Chelsea are waiting in the wings to capture Jurgen Klopp’s number one summer target.
This is not the first time that the structure of wages by the Anfield side could lead to a loss of a preferred target.
Last season a failure to reach an agreement with Naby Keita’s representatives allowed the now-wanted Guinean to slip through their fingers and join fellow Champions League qualifiers, RB Leipzig.

And, only recently as Monday this week Benjamin Mendy looked to be Anfield bound – once again wages became the stumbling block. The French left-back is now favourite to join City for around £42m.
PA-30553635-600x447.jpg

The transfer fee was within Liverpool’s reach, however, Mendy’s agent was trying to secure a £150k a week deal for the Champions League semi-finalist – Liverpool looked to offer £80k with add-ons rising to £130k per week. City, meanwhile, wasted no time in offering the wages agent, Meissa N’Diaye, wanted for his client.
The Reds still appear to be favourite to acquire Mohamed Salah, the Egyptian winger looks close to agreeing a deal with the Reds.
The arrival of Salah would bolster the attacking options that hindered Klopp’s assault on the title in January.
PA-25631757-e1494337727918-600x400.jpg

However, it was the apparent poor structuring of wages which led to Salah joining Chelsea in 2014 when all the indications were that Liverpool had secured his services.

With Ryan Sessegnon also slipping through the fingers of Liverpool this week, another setback – this time being unable to secure the services of Van Dijk – would vastly reduce Liverpool’s options of fighting on four fronts in the coming season.
With the draw for Liverpool’s vital Champions League qualifier only eight weeks away, Klopp will be keen to secure the services of his top targets in time for preseason training and the friendly games in Germany and Asia.
Van Dijk has been top of Liverpool’s wish list for some time and the Anfield club will hope that no lasting damage has been done in the very final stages of a possible agreement. With both Klopp and Van Dijk seemingly in agreement that Liverpool is his best destination, the following few hours could be critical in the Anfield club’s pursuit of this highly rated, and talented, defender.

Sounds like total bullshit. Why would they offer to make him the highest paid player in the club? No way would we offer 180k a week.

Said before, fsg won't pay the top wages. You can have 300 million budget but useles without the wages to with it.

Most sensible post on transfers I've read anywhere regarding players real value.

Whilst I'm not saying VVD is worth it the 'real value' of players is what the market is willing to pay, if 3 or 4 clubs are happy to pay £50m then that is his market value. Times have moved on - the massive TV sponsorship money will not remain in the pockets of the clubs when every agent on the planet knows exactly what each club is making.

Just look at the market as a whole. The only real value is down in the reaches of the Championship and lower leagues everywhere, where fees haven't changed massively. However Germany, Italy, France and Spain also have much more TV money too so transfer fees across the continent are also increasing in relative proportion.

Salah for £30-35m, VVD for £50m, Mendy for £40m .. aren't these just run of the mill fees for players in relative demand ? How about £130m for MBappe, £70m for De Gea or £70m for Aubameyang ? If that's the top end then players a rung or two down aren't going to be £20-25m. We can't put values on players today based on what they would have cost 2-3 years ago because the club's incomes have increased massively since then.

It's the agents fees, those leeching cocksuckers, that need to be cut somehow.

DBPZnSFXkAE9LFg.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom