• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

VVD Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the sports where technology works best are more technical - cricket is a prime example, but even in rugby the technology is often used for technical aspects (grounding the ball etc). It's not great in football because too much of it is subjective and even with the bit that isn't (offside) the calls still look like bullshit at times.
I'm still not having it that Mane was offside in the derby game where Prickford ruined van Dijk's career.
I agree that football is more subjective. But I felt in the world cup, they used VAR in a more prudent manner than in the premier league.

But he isn't on a yellow if the ref gets it right in the first place. THAT'S the point.
Yeah, the Trent one was the one that really bothered me. It's crazy that in the VAR era that loophole still exists. We should never be in a position where a player gets sent off for two yellows, one of which was dodgy.

I agree that football is more subjective. But I felt in the world cup, they used VAR in a more prudent manner than in the premier league.
Yeah, it can definitely be done a lot better than in the PL, but I don't ever see it getting to the respect level of those more technical sports.

Wrong.

If you want professional referees you have to pay them VERY well. Nobody is going to take that constant abuse without a financial reward.

Pay them very well but make deductions, suspensions, fines when they fuck up (Inc. VAR as part of the team). Carrot & Stick.
I think he's talking about the fine rather than a referees wage.

BTW I agree with you on pay. The Premier league should be doing a Saudi style Mark Clattenburg drive get the top talent from around the world in.

Like you say, we have a black hole of good officials because of the abuse they get at grass roots throughout. Any non narcissist in the UK will give it up long before getting to even the conference.

But he isn't on a yellow if the ref gets it right in the first place. THAT'S the point.

The new laws state that throwing the ball away is a yellow card. Which he did.

We lost our heads. VVD lost his the most and got a red. Trent lost his and gave away their goal. We managed to win, which was amazing. The team needs to move on and learn from that.

Trent should have kept his temper, yes, but I suspect mark's referring to the fact that Trent was fouled in the first place and reacted when the foul went unpunished.

And that the Newcastle players did exactly what Trent was booked for on several occasions without the ref doing anything.

We won the match, but if we'd have got beat it seems like loads of people would be putting it down to one foul not being given in the first few minutes, and not the fact that we were fucking shite until VVD got sent off. Not really into that line of thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom