• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

what will be the style of play next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see it changing too much from this past season...

If we get more physicality in the midfield, and more mobile defenders as it's looking like, we should be moderately better when defending the counter.

That just means we pass it from side to side, and hope the opposition makes a mistake we exploit. I want us to move forward and attack attack attack

We weren't struggling to score goals last season, nor to create opportunities.

As has been the case for about a decade or more, we need the back four to link up with the midfield instead of just faffing about a lot and then hoofing it forward. That, alas, has been the one constant this century. The rest of the play was good last season but it's as if some kind of impenetrable forcefield of aimlessness protects the defence.

The one where we dominate play for 60 minutes, squander chance after chance and then give up a wonder goal completely against the run of play.

As has been the case for about a decade or more, we need the back four to link up with the midfield instead of just faffing about a lot and then hoofing it forward. That, alas, has been the one constant this century. The rest of the play was good last season but it's as if some kind of impenetrable forcefield of aimlessness protects the defence.
This is my criticism of Lucas Tbh. He's meant to be the bridge between defence and midfield, yet, more often than not he's just a bit if a faffer.

Agger tries to link but more often than not his marauding runs end with stereotypical greediness. Johnson is either brilliant at it or oblivious to it, and Enrique just likes the feel of a ball on his boot (only way to explain his apparent love if keeping the ball for 5 seconds longer than necessary).

Ideally if we get a new cb he'd be clever enough to link, but for me we need to replace Lucas for that and buy a new, serially dominant cb

Agger doesn't go on that many marauding runs really, does he?

Gerrard sees a lot of the ball when we're playing out of defence. What we're missing is a Xavi / Alonso type, which is what I thought we were getting in Allen.

Rodgers doesn't really seem to do defensive organization - well, not on the evidence thus far - so hopefully we just end up with a couple of shit hot defenders with pace a la Utd who can just bail us out of the shit.

Agger doesn't go on that many marauding runs really, does he?

Gerrard sees a lot of the ball when we're playing out of defence. What we're missing is a Xavi / Alonso type, which is what I thought we were getting in Allen.

Rodgers doesn't really seem to do defensive organization - well, not on the evidence thus far - so hopefully we just end up with a couple of shit hot defenders with pace a la Utd who can just bail us out of the shit.
Agger tends to have 1 ever other game, and it always (bar 1 instance) ends with the ball sailing over the bar. Always annoys me.

Other than that, yeah, I agree with your other sentiments

But I'm sure Rodgers must hate how the defence plays - it just doesn't fit with his philosophy. So I guess they're incredibly dim and thus hard to coach. Maybe that's partly why he's so eager to shake things up.

I do think Enrique fits us well, primarily because while he contributes something material to the attack, he has the physicality to track back and defend, something Johnson is often lacking. Exactly right with the Agger bit though, he always always always goes for goal, and it's incredibly frustrating.

Enrique's passing leaves something to be desired still, but his linkup play with Coutinho and whomever else in on the left is pretty effective. In a world with a dearth of left backs, he is probably some of the best value we have in relation to the position.

what i want to see is more mixed play, do the tiki taka, but don't be afraid to launch direct passes occasionally, or use the width. we started seeing this later on.

what i want to see is more mixed play, do the tiki taka, but don't be afraid to launch direct passes occasionally, or use the width. we started seeing this later on.

Well, that's kinda how we played last season really.

There was no real commitment to pass and move and pretty triangles - it was a bit of a mish mash. Or generally just Suarez being awesome.

For example, Suarez goal against Newcastle, contrasted to enriques goal against swansea

We did a decent variety of goal scoring last season

Well, that's kinda how we played last season really.

There was no real commitment to pass and move and pretty triangles - it was a bit of a mish mash. Or generally just Suarez being awesome.

agree, but early on we didn't see enough of it.

Looking at Spain Vs Brazil last night was like watching Bayern Vs Barcelona again. It showed the shortcomings of the 'Tika Taka' style where teams that can play physical and with pace could easily nullify teams that pass beautifully. So who do we have that can play physical?

Looking at Spain Vs Brazil last night was like watching Bayern Vs Barcelona again. It showed the shortcomings of the 'Tika Taka' style where teams that can play physical and with pace could easily nullify teams that pass beautifully. So who do we have that can play physical?

We've got a biter?

Not really ... Spain could have been in that game (Luiz's brilliant clearance, missed penalty etc) ... Barca were destroyed because they had no physical presence whatsoever.

Our tika taka shizzle might as last year as gaddafi but I'd settle for winning the league and a CL semi, so maybe stick with it for now and adapt when we come up against Bayern?

Spain were missing an Alonso / Senna type in midfield and their defence is lacking a real leader. Ramos has matured in recent seasons, whereas Pique seems to have gone backwards after looking world class initially for Barca. I'm not convinced they're a great partnership right now either way.

The style that Barca / Spain play requires perfection to beat the best - Barca didn't have it for most of last season and Spain definitely did have it during this tournament. They both got by because even at 60-70% they're still better than most.

There is an element of teams becoming more and more equipped to play against them, sure, but they have definitely lost an edge and I guess that is the most interesting part to analyze - why?

In 9 out of 10 occasions Agger goes forward he ends up being awarded a freekick. At least that's what I reckon is mostly the case. Sometimes quite fortunately too as it can look rather clumsy.

This notion that he always blasts the ball at goal just isn't right. He had a few awful hits last Season agreed but it's not the rule that he tried the audacious long ranger at all.

In 9 out of 10 occasions Agger goes forward he ends up being awarded a freekick. At least that's what I reckon is mostly the case. Sometimes quite fortunately too as it can look rather clumsy.

This notion that he always blasts the ball at goal just isn't right. He had a few awful hits last Season agreed but it's not the rule that he tried the audacious long ranger at all.
Casts rod annnnndddd..... he bites.

tumblr_masolipmMm1rt8dxlo1_500.gif

Taxi...

I'd like to suggest that our style be win. Ugly, beautifully, scrappily, majestically, snidely – I don't care, just win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom