• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Which teams you want promoted/relegated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
In these FA Cup early rounds, we’re seeing lots of teams from lower leagues we normally don’t think about. Are there any teams you wish were playing in the Premier League? And conversely, which teams you wish were not in the Premier League anymore (other than Everton, I guess, which is too easy).

For me I guess the team I miss the most is Southampton - they were well-run and played nice football in recent years and obviously we had some success buying players from there. Swansea were also kind of cool and different for a few years they were up. Watford and Norwich tried to play attacking football and were always mauled by us. I bet Nunez would score hat-tricks against them.

As for the teams I’d most like to see relegated, I think there are too many claret-and-blue teams in the top division now - one of them (probably Burnley) has to go!

Leeds and Sunderland. They belong in the PL. Mostly for the games against other clubs and big fanbases. Soton can get promoted as well.

I hate to say it, I'd like Luton to stay up. Though initially I thought they're entry was analogus to a lightweight entering to fight heavyweights. The only challenge they'll make was beating Derby's record of lowest point tally.
I was wrong. They play attractive football, and have given many teams games.

I think a lot of it depends on when you started watching football. For those like me who started following the league in the late 80s, we're used to seeing the likes of Sheff W, Blackburn, West Brom.
Those watching from the 2000s might be romantisizing Wigan and Bolton.

90s: Middlesbrough, Derby County

Based on what I saw yesterday, Sunderland has absolutely no right being anywhere near the PL. Although I understand that the discussion isn't about how good they presently are.

I think a lot of it depends on when you started watching football. For those like me who started following the league in the late 80s, we're used to seeing the likes of Sheff W, Blackburn, West Brom.

Based on what I saw yesterday, Sunderland has absolutely no right being anywhere near the PL. Although I understand that the discussion isn't about how good they presently are.
Nobody can romanticise Wigan and Bolton!

To be fair most Championship sides would get destroyed in the Premier League with their current squads but the windfall that promotion brings allows them to significantly improve those squads and the well managed and run teams have a decent shot at survival if they spend that money wisely.

I haven't completely forgiven Sunderland for the beach ball incident, but my dad had a big soft spot for them, and so I would like them to progress. Obviously, Norwich should be in the top tier so we can continue hammering them (although I can remember a time when they were a bit of a bogey team).

Relegated:

Luton - shithole, and not good enough.
Brentford - I don't like their style.
IDK the third, maybe Burnley, even if they try to play ok football.

I want Everton to stay up as it is more fun with derbys.
Sheffield is a bit northern city and should have a team in the top division.

Promoted:
Sunderland - big football city in the north.
Leicester - good team, plays decent football.

Southampton maybe? Leeds while traditional is a bit cunts.

Any team that doesn't fill their stadium each week can fuck off.

Sunderland fits into that bracket.
Sunderland have been pulling in close to 40,000 in league 1 and now over 40,000 in the championship. That's more than about 80% of the prem.

Reactions: dee
To be fair most Championship sides would get destroyed in the Premier League with their current squads but the windfall that promotion brings allows them to significantly improve those squads and the well managed and run teams have a decent shot at survival if they spend that money wisely.
I think it was Luton that had a plan :
1. get promoted but don't then go overboard with investment
2. be relegated but now have financial security to invest and win an immediate return to the PL with a stronger team
3. now invest from a much more solid base, to secure the chance of a much more stable PL slot

For Luton it may get even better than that if they can stay up this season - having not invested.

I think it was Luton that had a plan :
1. get promoted but don't then go overboard with investment
2. be relegated but now have financial security to invest and win an immediate return to the PL with a stronger team
3. now invest from a much more solid base, to secure the chance of a much more stable PL slot

For Luton it may get even better than that if they can stay up this season - having not invested.
Was that not Fulham as well.
I think they had a couple of promotion/relegation cycles before solidifying their place in the Premier League

I haven't completely forgiven Sunderland for the beach ball incident, but my dad had a big soft spot for them, and so I would like them to progress. Obviously, Norwich should be in the top tier so we can continue hammering them (although I can remember a time when they were a bit of a bogey team).
The Sutton, Fox, Sherwood team?

Promoted: Sunderland, Ipswich and Leicester

Relegated: Everton, Burnley and Luton

Although I wouldn’t really have too many issues with any of the top 10 as it stands coming up with the exception of West Brom and Leeds.

One of the problems with Norwich is how far away it is. I think if it wants to take itself more seriously as a premier league club it should move itself quite a bit north and a little bit west.

Brighton and Newcastle can do one , too.

Fuck Southampton. I want Leeds up then I’d love to see a classic PL team like Ipswich, Coventry, Sunderland.

B****r Southampton with a bargepole. It'll be a long time before I forgive the utter hypocrisy of the fuss they created over our supposed "misconduct" on the van Dijk deal just so they could try and persuade other clubs it would be worth staying in a bidding war.

As far as relegation goes, I doubt it'll happen but I really want the blueslime to go down, so they don't get to crock any more of our players. I can absolutely 100% do without the derbies to avoid all that.

Promoted - don't care really, so long as its not Sheff Wed (which is not happening anyway)

Relegated

• Everton
  • Utd
  • City (to the Vauxhall Conference)
The correct, butv really quite unlikely, answer.

Yes to Leicester & Southampton, maybe Ipswich as well. Everton can go down, just because. After that, ideal world united and city, but back in the real world burnley and Sheffield united. Don’t like either of them for unknown and unfathomable reasons

One of the problems with Norwich is how far away it is. I think if it wants to take itself more seriously as a premier league club it should move itself quite a bit north and a little bit west.

Norwich/Lincoln - a bit like Bodo/Glimt

I like to see teams who have never been up or haven’t been for decades.

I do have a soft spot for Derby ever since that Wanchope goal against Utd when they beat them 3-2 at OT.

Birmingham would be another potentially big club that should be up there.

Talking if “big clubs” that have falling away - I see Bradford & Swindon are mid-table in League 2 and I remember when Notts County were in the top league.

Then you’ve got Oldham Athletic, a founder member of the Premier League and are now in the National League - which is tier 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom