• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

who

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=33639.msg871889#msg871889 date=1242899115]
[quote author=singlerider link=topic=33639.msg871879#msg871879 date=1242898623]
Aside from the English thing, I really don't get all this interest in Glen Johnson. Ok, he might be an improvement on Arby, but it's not a position we desperately need to address.

[/quote]

yes it is. there should be two players for every position.
if rafa wants to promote darby (can't see it myself) then it wouldn't be a problem but he is clearly not going to do that.
the league is about keeping momentum when players get injuried and we definately are not as strong at right back when arbeloa doesn't play, although some people seem to think he is rubbish I personally think we've dropped points.
[/quote]

2 players for one position is all well and good, but we have one decent player who can play there right now, plus Carra who can cover, and Darby as a prospect. We've got nobody really good enough for LW as Riera has proved to be ok some of the time for about 60 mins a game, and wank for the rest and Babel is brilliant for about 60 mins the whole season and wank for the rest.

Surely that comes first?

[quote author=singlerider link=topic=33639.msg871906#msg871906 date=1242899937]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=33639.msg871889#msg871889 date=1242899115]
[quote author=singlerider link=topic=33639.msg871879#msg871879 date=1242898623]
Aside from the English thing, I really don't get all this interest in Glen Johnson. Ok, he might be an improvement on Arby, but it's not a position we desperately need to address.

[/quote]

yes it is. there should be two players for every position.
if rafa wants to promote darby (can't see it myself) then it wouldn't be a problem but he is clearly not going to do that.
the league is about keeping momentum when players get injuried and we definately are not as strong at right back when arbeloa doesn't play, although some people seem to think he is rubbish I personally think we've dropped points.
[/quote]

2 players for one position is all well and good, but we have one decent player who can play there right now, plus Carra who can cover, and Darby as a prospect. We've got nobody really good enough for LW as Riera has proved to be ok some of the time for about 60 mins a game, and wank for the rest and Babel is brilliant for about 60 mins the whole season and wank for the rest.

Surely that comes first?
[/quote]

that's my point I don't think carra can (or should) cover at right back.

You can not think it all you want, doesn't make it not true.

So basically you are saying you see right back as more of a priority than left mid?

[quote author=singlerider link=topic=33639.msg871918#msg871918 date=1242901159]

So basically you are saying you see right back as more of a priority than left mid?
[/quote]

my order of priority
1. forward/striker
2. left midfield
3. right back
I don't think there is a need for a central midfielder but its patently obvious barry is set to arrive.

in the case of one and two, if rafa secures tevez I'm 100% certain he will view that job done.

You wouldn't be happy when Owen demands 100k a week and then gets broken in pre-season.
[/quote]

What about pay per game. But would Steve want him back.

[quote author=jason link=topic=33639.msg871923#msg871923 date=1242901833]

You wouldn't be happy when Owen demands 100k a week and then gets broken in pre-season.
[/quote]

[/quote]

That should not matter.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=33639.msg871920#msg871920 date=1242901502]

[/quote]

my order of priority
1. forward/striker
2. left midfield
3. right back
I don't think there is a need for a central midfielder but its patently obvious barry is set to arrive.

in the case of one and two, if rafa secures tevez I'm 100% certain he will view that job done.
[/quote]

Striker is your top priority?!?

We've got Torres. All we need is half decent back up - and even that we've got in Dirk who can play there.

How is left wing not everybody's priority?

[quote author=Paddy link=topic=33639.msg871924#msg871924 date=1242901891]
[quote author=jason link=topic=33639.msg871923#msg871923 date=1242901833]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That should not matter.
[/quote]

It would matter big time surely

[quote author=singlerider link=topic=33639.msg871932#msg871932 date=1242902543]

[/quote]

my order of priority
1. forward/striker
2. left midfield
3. right back

[/quote]

We've got Torres. All we need is half decent back up - and even that we've got in Dirk who can play there.

[/quote]

Half decent backup wont cut it if we want the league.

[/quote]

my order of priority
1. forward/striker
2. left midfield
3. right back

[/quote]

[/quote]

you've got confidence in torres' hamstrings remaining intact all season long? well, that's nice because I certainly haven't.

[quote author=Anita link=topic=33639.msg872075#msg872075 date=1242918131]
I really hope we don't sign Micheal Owen.
[/quote]

Agree, he has gone downhill ever since he left us.

[quote author=jason link=topic=33639.msg871937#msg871937 date=1242903137]

[/quote]

my order of priority
1. forward/striker
2. left midfield
3. right back

[/quote]

[/quote]

Half decent backup wont cut it if we want the league.
[/quote]

Neither will Riera or Babel (or Yossi) at left wing

You can't score many goals with a winger.If mr T's hammies go west we'll go south.Silva wont bail us out of that jam (more draws)

BUT. Silva + Owen I'm beginning to think is what we'll end up with. That doesn't make me happy at all, but I think finances plus ginsoak could force it on us.

[/quote]

Given he can hardly get a game at Newcastle, nor do I.

[/quote]

not even on a freebie? I would.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=33639.msg871756#msg871756 date=1242888265]
Tevez, Barry, Johnson, 2 x kids.
[/quote]

I reckon that's pretty much exactly what will happen Oncy - although I have some doubts over Rafa not going into meltdown over the fees quoted for Johnson.

It would be hard to consider a summer that delivered these players a failure but......... wow I'd be disappointed. Yet again we would have failed to properly address what we're lacking - penetrating, pacey players on the flank.

Do you think he might buy a centre back instead of a RB , and maybe use Carra a bit ?

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=33639.msg872419#msg872419 date=1242953251]
Do you think he might buy a centre back instead of a RB , and maybe use Carra a bit ?
[/quote]

I think he's more than likely to try and buy someone who can fill a few roles.

Remember the links with Heinze, Kaladze, etc?

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33639.msg872420#msg872420 date=1242953410]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm getting more and more depressed when I read this thread. If Rafa starts reading it he's going to feel obliged to "spread the finances around" again; Absolutely what we don't need.

I don't understand why anyone would think there is a greater need than up front or on the left. A player like Ribery is worth 30m to us in our current position. Owen on a free to give Torres a rest (provided the wages are reasonable) would suit me.

Of course it would be great to go and sign the next Sami, the next Babbel, the next Gerrard and the next Torres but that's not going to happen. If we try we'll end up with the next Pelegrino, the next Josemi, the next Diao and the next Morientes. That's the thinking and actions that have nobbled us in the past.

The greatest deficiency we have is LW and therefore our greatest scope for improvement is LW. We finished within 2 wins of the mancs this season and we could overcome that discrepancy with a goal scoring LW like Ribery. That makes him worth 30m+ to us.

A back up for Torres would help in case he has a season like this but it shouldn't compromise our LW position.

[quote author=Wizardry link=topic=33639.msg872440#msg872440 date=1242963225]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm getting more and more depressed when I read this thread. If Rafa starts reading it he's going to feel obliged to "spread the finances around" again; Absolutely what we don't need.

I don't understand why anyone would think there is a greater need than up front or on the left. A player like Ribery is worth 30m to us in our current position. Owen on a free to give Torres a rest (provided the wages are reasonable) would suit me.

Of course it would be great to go and sign the next Sami, the next Babbel, the next Gerrard and the next Torres but that's not going to happen. If we try we'll end up with the next Pelegrino, the next Josemi, the next Diao and the next Morientes. That's the thinking and actions that have nobbled us in the past.

The greatest deficiency we have is LW and therefore our greatest scope for improvement is LW. We finished within 2 wins of the mancs this season and we could overcome that discrepancy with a goal scoring LW like Ribery. That makes him worth 30m+ to us.

A back up for Torres would help in case he has a season like this but it shouldn't compromise our LW position.
[/quote]

Yeah, I hear you loud and clear.

It's gonna be really intriguing to see what Rafa thinks are the weak links that need filled. I'm sure he'll bring in a defender, a midfielder and a striker/winger, but which are his priorities? Which of those positions is he more than likely to try and spend 20M on?

His "we don't need an overhaul" comment worries me. Sure, we've got the basis of a great squad, but does that mean you don't need to spend big to fill a certain position Rafa? Adding a handful more Riera's won't cut it. We need another World Class player. I don't really give a fuck whether they play on the left, right, up front, or in the hole, we need one. I'd say Rafa probably thinks something along those lines too, but whether he's prepared to spend two-thirds of his budget on it is another thing, especially after last season's Keanegate.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33639.msg872441#msg872441 date=1242963662]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's gonna be really intriguing to see what Rafa thinks are the weak links that need filled. I'm sure he'll bring in a defender, a midfielder and a striker/winger, but which are his priorities? Which of those positions is he more than likely to try and spend 20M on?

His "we don't need an overhaul" comment worries me. Sure, we've got the basis of a great squad, but does that mean you don't need to spend big to fill a certain position Rafa? Adding a handful more Riera's won't cut it. We need another World Class player. I don't really give a fuck whether they play on the left, right, up front, or in the hole, we need one. I'd say Rafa probably thinks something along those lines too, but whether he's prepared to spend two-thirds of his budget on it is another thing, especially after last season's Keanegate.
[/quote]

I'd never thought of it from that perspective.

I'm hopeful that he's envious of watching Ferguson spend 30m on one player cause that's what he needs to do this summer. Does he feel confident in managing a player that costs that sort of money? Gerrard and Torres are the only ones he's currently got in that category and maybe he thinks another would upset the balance.

To me "fine-tuning" means you pinpoint one spot in the team and make it as good as it can be in the knowledge that all the other areas, while not perfect, are good enough as they are and can afford to wait.

[quote author=Wizardry link=topic=33639.msg872443#msg872443 date=1242964353]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm hopeful that he's envious of watching Ferguson spend 30m on one player cause that's what he needs to do this summer. Does he feel confident in managing a player that costs that sort of money? Gerrard and Torres are the only ones he's currently got in that category and maybe he thinks another would upset the balance.

To me "fine-tuning" means you pinpoint one spot in the team and make it as good as it can be in the knowledge that all the other areas, while not perfect, are good enough as they are and can afford to wait.
[/quote]

I think that's the catch 22 really.

He could spend 20M on say Silva, who comes in as a left-sided option alone, and it's up to the Gods as to whether he fails or succeeds.

Or he could spend 20M, and get Gareth Barry and Dirk Kuyt, and between them they can fill 5 positions.

Also, highlighting the United example of spending 30M on a Rooney, a Tevez, a Berbatov, a Ferdinand is all fair and well. I bet you if you put that to Rafa, he'd proffer the argument that for 50M, they got Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson - none of whom figure in Ferguson's best 11.

Swings and roundabouts.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33639.msg872444#msg872444 date=1242964652]
[quote author=Wizardry link=topic=33639.msg872443#msg872443 date=1242964353]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think that's the catch 22 really.

He could spend 20M on say Silva, who comes in as a left-sided option alone, and it's up to the Gods as to whether he fails or succeeds.

Or he could spend 20M, and get Gareth Barry and Dirk Kuyt, and between them they can fill 5 positions.

Also, highlighting the United example of spending 30M on a Rooney, a Tevez, a Berbatov, a Ferdinand is all fair and well. I bet you if you put that to Rafa, he'd proffer the argument that for 50M, they got Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson - none of whom figure in Ferguson's best 11.

Swings and roundabouts.
[/quote]

Was going to add in the previous post - "it's a gamble at times" which it is. But you don't win big without gambling a little and getting the title is winning big. Which all comes back to remind me of Rafa's comment that "he doesn't like experiment - he prefers to be sure".

We haven't even finished this season and my utter confidence in next season is already beginning to erode. :-\

[quote author=Glock link=topic=33639.msg871675#msg871675 date=1242874122]
Micah Richards, Vargas, Eto'o and Scheweisteiger.
[/quote]

how random is that!! classic

I'm not sure we will sign Barry unless we can offload Lucas which may well be difficult. I do not think we will sell Alonso unless big cash comes in, rafa would have to be mad to accept what he wanted last summer, he is a 25M player and his stock here in Spain is very high after a notable season. I would be absolutely gutted if we sold him because he is a fantastic player and showed his real worth to the team this season, including a hitherto unseen leadership streak.

I doubt we will sign Tevez, not because of the player but because of Fergy and his enduring cuntishness.

Valencia CF look pretty much fucked for the champs league qualification now after conceding an outrageous "penalty" and subsequent defeat against AM last weekend. They really are in deep deep financial shit, building firm refusing to continue with the new stadium etc, still haven't sold the old one and i suspect they fucking wont in the near future. Unfortunately so are we and they will have to sell Silva, Villa etc in a bidding war, they have no option they are fighting for their financial lives.

We cannot win such a war, Real are looking for spanish players and chelsea and arsenal will be buying big this season also.

I can certainly see us picking over Middlesbrough for Downing, which upsets me on so many levels it's untrue, it really does, the pragmatic view of his abilities is all well and good, he is a dull and talentless IMO and I prefer what we already have in Riera.

We will sign a RB probably Johnson, not bad but hardly an exciting signing. I doubt we will get either Tevez or Silva so .... God knows.... I would prefer Tevez should only one be arriving although Silva is a very good player. Villa is a ridiculous pipe dream, a pipe filled with sticky skunk.

A shame as he truly is a class class player.

I did like the look of that turkish left winger who was piping up in the press recently about clubs sniffing round, i would be really pleased if we signed him.

Johnson, Barry + random rafa shit is what we will sign

OR

Johnson, Barry + Silva/Tevez IF we sell Alonso.

Selling is the key, due to having carpetbagging robbing bastards as owners, if we can clearout player like Lucas and Voronin etc for a reasonable chunk then we could get some good additions, but knowing Rafa there is also the possibility we will end up selling Alonso and still buying in shite.

It's a waste of time, effort and money spending 12m odd on Johnson. He's no where near worth it.

I also disagree with Spider Neils point regar5ding Darby. There's a reason he was given a new contract this year. I think hje might get his chance this year, in the same way Insua did.

Priority 1 is an attacking player for the left.

Priority 2 is someone to give a consistent challenge Kuyt on the right.

Priority 3 is a replacement for Hypia.

Priority 4 is another striker (Hopefull one of the first 2 priorities can cover Fernando).

Priority 5 is a new RB

Priority 6 is a new centre mid

Priority 7 is a new reserve GK (it'll be on the cards. It always is).

I want us to make a big statment and sign Tevez & Silva.

I only want us to sign Barry if it's at Lucas' expense and not Alonso.

I don't want us spending loads on a CB or a RB at the expense of other players.

I want Darby given a shot at RB.

I don't ever want to hear the phrase "Leto returning is like a new signing"

[quote author=jason link=topic=33639.msg871352#msg871352 date=1242827884]
Will arrive this summer? Choice of up to five. Not who you want, who do you think will we end up with.

Then who you'd rather have.

Mine

Barry
Tevez (Villa, look don't touch, or Eto'o)
(Silva)
Johnson (Alves. hunch)

[/quote]

it will not who we want, it will not be who we need, it will not be who think it will be either

Barry is the only certainty this summer.

Like many others I'd be a bit miffed about Johnson signing. Has he really done anything to justify a £10m+ price tag ?

[quote author=StevieM link=topic=33639.msg872657#msg872657 date=1242993647]
It's a waste of time, effort and money spending 12m odd on Johnson. He's no where near worth it.

I also disagree with Spider Neils point regar5ding Darby. There's a reason he was given a new contract this year. I think hje might get his chance this year, in the same way Insua did.

Priority 1 is an attacking player for the left.

Priority 2 is someone to give a consistent challenge Kuyt on the right.

Priority 3 is a replacement for Hypia.

Priority 4 is another striker (Hopefull one of the first 2 priorities can cover Fernando).

Priority 5 is a new RB

Priority 6 is a new centre mid

Priority 7 is a new reserve GK (it'll be on the cards. It always is).

I want us to make a big statment and sign Tevez & Silva.

I only want us to sign Barry if it's at Lucas' expense and not Alonso.

I don't want us spending loads on a CB or a RB at the expense of other players.

I want Darby given a shot at RB.

I don't ever want to hear the phrase "Leto returning is like a new signing"
[/quote]

I dont know about a challenge for Kuyt being a priority? He never gets rested or injured or dropped, so regardless of if we bought someone else, he'd be playing. Even if we bought Messi.

I'd say it goes LW -> CF -> RB.

Then whatever bits and bobs are knocking around that could improve the squad. I dont think anything else is desperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom