• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Women's World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've an older sister who's ludicrously competitive too, probably an even worse loser than me.

Her rages are legend in our house. My brother who's a similar age was an absolute wum so fuck knows how he survived some of her tantrums. Literally launching glasses etc across the room at him.

So yeah, women can defo be mad competitive. I don't know how it compares to men on average, but at the top of sport you're not dealing with average people anyway.

I like the people saying that the criticism of the women over celebrating was motivated by sexism.

Abby wambach openly wondering whether anyone would think that a men's team shouldn't celebrate, as though we've 1) never seen such discussions before and 2) if Brazil beat some minnow 11-0 people wouldn't think they were being cunts by over celebrating.

USA woman played football like it was Fifa..

You know when you are on ultimate team and a noob shows up..

That's what happened here...

What was Thailand's Criteria in qualification.. ? Should not be anywhere near the finals on that performance..

I like the people saying that the criticism of the women over celebrating was motivated by sexism.

Abby wambach openly wondering whether anyone would think that a men's team shouldn't celebrate, as though we've 1) never seen such discussions before and 2) if Brazil beat some minnow 11-0 people wouldn't think they were being cunts by over celebrating.
Yeah, they're having that discussion in the press over here as well. It's stupid. Didn't Germany stop when they beat Brazil in the world cup?

USA woman played football like it was Fifa..

You know when you are on ultimate team and a noob shows up..

That's what happened here...

What was Thailand's Criteria in qualification.. ? Should not be anywhere near the finals on that performance..
*women

Indeed. It is a bit much, and on CNN they are apparently wanting to discuss equal pay for internationals or at least the USA female team are hoping for it...

But to an extent as the female team are world champs I can maybe see the justification...

But in terms of viewers and advertising I imagine the male WC is in literally in a different league.

I don’t know... it’s an old debate isn’t it...

As for people being sexist in criticizing the USA team for scoring thirteen, wow... male teams have certainly received negative comments for that and in general teams show respect to the lesser team. It reminds me somewhat of Serena Williams last year when she lost in the US open final tossed her racket down and received a warning then messed about again got deducted and followed in with expletives...

The umpire called her on it and she lost... but she was flipping losing anyway and that’s why she was throwing hissy fits.... but no... she was in the Me too movement and suffering from a sexist male umpire...

The real victim of course was the opponent who had just won a major but instead of being praised for that everyone was focused on the sexism Williams was supposedly suffering....

Indeed. It is a bit much, and on CNN they are apparently wanting to discuss equal pay for internationals or at least the USA female team are hoping for it...

But to an extent as the female team are world champs I can maybe see the justification...

But in terms of viewers and advertising I imagine the male WC is in literally in a different league.

I don’t know... it’s an old debate isn’t it...

It's a dumb debate only sustainable because of the USA's (at least originating there) ridiculous obsession with making everything equal even if it patently isn't and doesn't deserve to be (and that swings both ways).

How is scoring 13 goals and celebrating them sexist? I don't see the link.

It's a dumb debate only sustainable because of the USA's (at least originating there) ridiculous obsession with making everything equal even if it patently isn't and doesn't deserve to be (and that swings both ways).

In the USA, the women consistently have higher ratings in the World Cup than the men - in part because they are always in the semifinals and the men have made the quarters once.

So, the debate makes sense here. And, if the basis is relative to commercial success, it should make sense everywhere.

Is there a reasonable argument for equal pay for equal work - that is a tough one.

Good penalty for Brazil's 2nd against Jamaica at the weekend..

e28a2c8cfa79b542ea5fb8368f8562d6.jpg

In the USA, the women consistently have higher ratings in the World Cup than the men - in part because they are always in the semifinals and the men have made the quarters once.

So, the debate makes sense here. And, if the basis is relative to commercial success, it should make sense everywhere.

Is there a reasonable argument for equal pay for equal work - that is a tough one.
Setting aside the USA for a second is it fair that men have to play 5 sets in the grand slam tennis events and women 3 and that the viewing figures and time on screen for men's tennis, and so generated income, is much higher? Maybe the same in baseball, cricket, cycling etc. Yet women fight for equal prize money in those sports too? I'm far far far from being a misogynist / sexist but frankly find that ridiculous.

And ditto football because international sales and viewing figures for the World Cup and other major competitions (and so income from FIFA and media, and likewise other sports mentioned) will be much lower regardless of viewing statistics in the USA alone.

I totally agree in equal pay for equal work - but it should be exactly that and income is naturally enough based on production and profit. It's disingenuous to link it to misogyny or sexism.

Yeah it's that equality of opportunity Vs equality of outcome discussion really.
All for the first one, the second one causes problems.

Is this thread just not happening then?

vAR for Scotland's game last night was horrific.. felt sorry for them but then I remembered I wasn't that bovvd and they did give away the lead.

Watched Japan v eng, it was slow lots of build up play but lacked quality up front From Japan. Eng a bit more clinical but they'll need to make sure they don't give similar chances to Cameroon In the next round. Njoya the striker for Cameroon scored two great goals today to out them through good luck stopping her

Anyone watching Germany v Nigeria? 2-0

Germany goal from a corner VAR reviewed and given.

Germany penalty given by VAR

Both probably wrong imo

The penalty was the right call. Allowing the goal was probably right even though there was a player in an offside position.

The problem with VAR is that each decision took a few minutes to make and sucked both the atmosphere and momentum out of the game. It's really shit.

If that handball call had been given then I would've been done with footy if that's the way they're gonna go.

The penalty was the right call. Allowing the goal was probably right even though there was a player in an offside position.

The problem with VAR is that each decision took a few minutes to make and sucked both the atmosphere and momentum out of the game. It's really shit.

Yea it's turd alright. Stopping the game to check for mistaken identity?!

Not sure I agree, the offside player was standing right in front of the keeper. The penalty, it was a miskick that contacted an attacker after the ball, is that really a foul?

Yea it's turd alright. Stopping the game to check for mistaken identity?!

Not sure I agree, the offside player was standing right in from of the keeper. The penalty, it was a miskick that contacted an attacker after the ball, is that really a foul?

Yeah the offside one is my personal preference. It was offside, but I don't think the keeper was impeded by the player or could've done anything to stop the goal if she weren't there.

The penalty, she gets a slight touch on the ball, but she wellies the fuck out of the player's knee. It's dangerous and reckless. Pen for me.

That under 21 goalie for England could give some of the ladies goalies a run for their money.

Sam Kerr had a Chris Waddle moment in the shootout that sent Australia home.

Norway’s penos were class.

In the Norway - Australia game, Alanna Kennedy was sent off. Yes Alanna, I shit you not. Can't be a coincidence. It just can't.

I don't think Cameroon were mentally prepared to be on the wrong side of VAR decisions. They came across as a nasty, petty side.

Awful refereeing again too, she allowed a good 10 minutes of whining to occur, ignored a penalty and a red to prevent more drama. Not to mention the elbows and spitting.

Poor advert for the game.

I hope that interpretation of the offside rule that ruled out Cameroon's goal doesn't come into the men's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom