• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"Your Support is F*****G Shit" -or is it?

Vlads Quiff

Well-Known
Before you start I beg your understanding, I am in the company of two masters here........

I have been bemoaning the standard, or at least the vociferous vocality of our support at Anfield. I have pondered its’ reasons at some length. (as you might discover).
It may of course just be due to the location of my seat in the “Moan Stand" This, you see, overlooks the visitors.
People will argue, and indeed do so, that my view is distorted because my seat is much nearer the away support than our most exuberant supporters in the Kop. Maybe so.

Is it because we have little to get excited about?
Again perhaps so, but the problem, assuming it to be a problem, does not seem to be an issue in the “big†games, they being; United, the derby, Chelsea (a more recent phenomenon), and perhaps Arsenal. That’s four home games in the Premiership that the crowd will be guaranteed to be up for. So what is the issue with the remaining fixtures?
We have plenty to play for; the last few years have shown that. We crave being crowned Premiership Champions, so it is certainly not a case of familiarity breeding contempt.
We had our chance to be blasé and complacent in the seventies when we only had to turn up to beat teams week in week out, we weren’t.... it was noisy, very noisy. The reality is there is probably more to get excited about today than there was, added to which the price for success, or failure, has never been so high.

Is it because of a seated Kop?
Now, perhaps we are getting a little nearer the truth of the matter.
Pre Taylor report the Kop had a capacity of around 27,000; it now has a capacity of just less than 16,500, ten thousand people less might just make a difference. However, it is not only the reduction of numbers that the seating has affected.
It is argued, quite reasonably, that seating has and still is, changing the whole demographic profile of the modern football fan.
The whole point of the Taylor report was to find out what went wrong and knowing what that was, how to make football stadia safer places for us to be, we of all people need no reminding .
Most clubs converted terraces into all seater stands, some though were too long in the tooth, or impractical to do so, therefore a crop of new stadiums arose. These new and improved facilities attracted people who previously looked on the whole experience as rather uncivilised.
Women, for instance, have increased in numbers from the early nineties to present day, there was an unexplained dip in the graph during the mid-nineties, but their numbers are increasing again.
The 2001 fan survey carried out by Leicester University showed that female supporters now accounted for 14% of all season ticket sales in the premier league. At Leicester this was a staggering 26%.
That does not tell the whole story though, a lot of those women, unsurprisingly, are also mothers, supporting another statistic, family attendance at matches is also on the increase, for the same reasons - the customer friendly surroundings and facilities.
I used the word "customer" there consciously, as that is what we are now, the marketing men have made sure of that.
We used to be the great unwashed, the masses that turned up every week and did not question how or why it was - it had always been that way.
This brings me on to more observations regarding demographics, the marketing men, and a better standard of living , are changing the profile of the average supporter into a middle class, middle management type of being. In the 2001 Premier League survey reports that over 25% of season ticket holders were earning in excess of £30,000. There will be a north – south divide , but rest assured we are catching up rapidly, and it’s still proportional.
It’s funny to look back on those old news reels of nearly 100,000 (men) throwing their cloth caps in the air when we scored, how many of them would have been in the top quartiles of earners?
Unfortunately the lower earners struggle with £600 a year (£32 a match) plus the added costs of travel and a few pints.
Oh I forgot to mention in the demographic stats - we are getting older too apparently.
Is this suggested demise in volume wit and originality, because our habits have changed? We are, after all, creatures of habit.
I always used to meet the mates and my brother for a pint or two before the game,
That however, was in the good old days when you could hear peas in whistles rattling all over the country at three o’clock on a Saturday afternoon. Sky Sports smashed our habit to oblivion and we very rarely do now. I do know however we are a lot more subdued without a beer or two. I am sure we are not alone.
Let me take you back to the Kop in late sixties through the seventies.
Kop season tickets were not that common, and tickets were not pre-sold, so to queue up, two to three hours before a game was not unusual. When you pushed your way through to your spec, where you found your own little Kop community. You looked down through the gloom onto an emerald green pitch that even on a dull day it always seemed brightly illuminated.
On a wet winters day steam emitted from the 27,000 bodies that were crammed in to that famous mound. Mix that with the smoke of half a ton of Park Drive, Sovereign, Players No.6 and Woodies and you had your own smog micro-climate. The smell was fantastic, ale, cigarettes, sweat, all finished off with a whiff of urine.
If you wanted to be where they sang loudest and longest you headed towards the area behind the goal about a third of the way back, and put up with risking the odd broken rib.
You rarely saw a woman on the Kop, but when you did you also saw a smiling man behind her. Those who did go tended to be thought of, probably very unfairly as a bit "frisky".
There was a natural “churn†in the Kop crowd. When you got too old for standing, singing and being pushed around, you were eventually pensioned off and headed to the stands. The odour changed less urine, more cigars. That then kept the Kop generally a young mans domain.
Let’s jump forward again to post seating with this vastly reduced Kop.
The Kops first seated tenants, would have been far more reflective of the young male profile of pre-seated days. Unfortunately one of the problems they had from day one was ganging together with like minded souls they were fractionalised, and divided into small groups. Starting songs here and there, not everyone who had seats in the middle wanted to be a vocalist anymore.
Today those young men are now twelve years older so if you were mid thirties when you first clutched your "new" Kop ticket that means you are now not far away from fifty (that is not very old of course), but getting older.
So the Kop is aging, that natural churn is not there now, you don’t move on to the stands, because..... you are in the stands, as you get older you tend not to get as excited, you don’t enjoy it any the less, but everything is far more sedate.
Not only is it getting older it is becoming more female. One of the aspects helping to hold back the aging process was the allocation of dad’s and lad’s seats…
Crikey!! What was I thinking of?...... Parent and child seats It might hold back the ageing , but it does not help the singing, and shouting particularly, apart from the soprano bits I suppose.

Let me make one or two generalisations, assumptions, if you like, on the profile of a vocal supporter
1 Male
2 Aged 17-35
3 In a group of like minded people, generally not with family
4 Likes a pint
5 Not averse to a bit of industrial language
6 Manual worker, unemployed, student, or possibly CO level office worker.

I mentioned at the start about the perceived volume of the away supporters. Someone did quite rightly point out that the phenomena of away supporters being seen as more vocal than the home supporters is common throughout the Premier League Clubs. You only have to listen to our own travelling fans on TV.
The answer I suggest is in the probable general profile of the away supporter, on a day out.

1 Male
2 Aged 17-35
3 In a group of like minded people, generally not with family
4 Likes a pint
5 Not averse to a bit of industrial language
6 Manual worker, unemployed, student, or possibly CO level office worker

Let me say this I don’t say any of the changes are bad, most are for the better, however if we want to save part of our heritage, the match atmosphere, something needs to change, I don't know what, but think about this.

I was at the St. Etienne game, that was held to be the European night at Anfield and it was loud, but I have never heard anything as loud as the Chelsea semi, never. Several other big Euro nights over the last few years have not been far off the Chelsea game either.
The FA cup games are better too, even when playing smaller teams.
The difference is now when the crowd do get decide to get loud it comes from all four corners of the ground, not just the massed ranks of a 27,000 capacity Kop as was historically the case.
What makes the difference between the supporters at cup games to those at home league games?
Only this week Sir Alex Ferguson has been critical of Uniteds home fans, something that would be considered unimaginable at Anfield.
In the same week Chris Bascombe pointed out that even Newcastle supporters, with their self perpetuating reputation are not at the races (Blaydon or otherwise) when it comes to atmosphere at most matches.
The focus of this has been on season ticket holders, partly because that is a constant for stats, secondly it represents the majority. That does not mean to be dismissive of the none season ticket holders……indeed are they part of the answer to the cup game conundrum? Is it in fact us season ticket holders that are holding things back?
Whatever the reasons, whatever the result, it is still a magical experience for supporters making their first visit, This cynical old writer has seen touching evidence of that within a few days of writing.
No doubt when I made my first visit there were old hands saying it was not what it used to be, times change.

So the upshot is, our support isn't "fucking shit" , it is way better than most, perhaps just different from what it used to be, but when the chips are down.........................

Whatever they go on to achieve under Jose Mourinho, Chelsea and their billionaire owner learnt last night that there are some things money cannot buy. Four famous Scousers once sang that it can't buy you love, but add to that the type of passion that was required to propel Liverpool into their first European Cup final since 1985. Mourinho had shaken his head when asked whether the Kop could be the opposition's twelfth man, but instead they proved to be Liverpool's ninth, tenth and eleventh, inspiring players such as Djimi Traore and Igor Biscan to play like the immortals that they might now become.
Oliver Kay, The Times

VQ

And that last quote from a Utd fan too...

Stood on the Kop for 9 years & the match now just isnt the same, but life changes.

Superb post Vlad, summed up everything I've been saying for years, only much more eloquently, with a lot less colloquial language than I use!

FoxForceFive said:
And that last quote from a Utd fan too...

Stood on the Kop for 9 years & the match now just isnt the same, but life changes.

Superb post Vlad, summed up everything I've been saying for years, only much more eloquently, with a lot less colloquial language than I use!

Thank you Foxy, I just hope you are not being your diplomatic old self...
:wink:

regards

I really enjoyed reading that Vlad, the memories of yesteryear are all flooding back. I can still smell the piss.. :wink:

Cheers

I think Sky have helped take away a lot of the atmosphere at games. These 12:45 kick offs need to be scrapped. They almost guarantee a shit atmosphere.

I go the match with my dad and his mates and we sit in the kop. We have actually had people looking at us funny for singing before.

P.S. It had nothing to do with the vocal quality of my voice. :wink:

livvy145 said:
I really enjoyed reading that Vlad, the memories of yesteryear are all flooding back. I can still smell the piss.. :wink:

That will be all the Dr Pepper !!
:wink:

Cheers

Really, really enjoyed reading that Mr VQ, some valid points, superbly conveyed.

I only wish the post could of gone on a bit longer, I felt you were gathering momentum nicely....

anfieldanfield said:
Really, really enjoyed reading that Mr VQ, some valid points, superbly conveyed.

I only wish the post could of gone on a bit longer, I felt you were gathering momentum nicely....

You will, be sad, others mightily relieved , to know I cut it from 2,200 to just under 2000 words old chum. :wink:
Thanks for that

Thanks, Vlad, me old mucker, yes, it's a puzzle. There was, I felt, a definite 'prawn sandwich'-style dip in volume during the last (successful) championship campaign - but, as you, note, there should be younger, hungrier, fans in there now. I sort of think/expect/hope there'll be an eruption of noise as we get close to a real challenge - history counts for quite a bit, but once we beat the key clubs and get into pole position at the right time, the belief will finally be audible again. Mind you, when I hear Hansen say the Chelski Euro semi final noise was louder than anything I'm amazed - was it??? St Etienne was unbelievable.

gkmacca said:
Thanks, Vlad, me old mucker, yes, it's a puzzle. There was, I felt, a definite 'prawn sandwich'-style dip in volume during the last (successful) championship campaign - but, as you, note, there should be younger, hungrier, fans in there now. I sort of think/expect/hope there'll be an eruption of noise as we get close to a real challenge - history counts for quite a bit, but once we beat the key clubs and get into pole position at the right time, the belief will finally be audible again. Mind you, when I hear Hansen say the Chelski Euro semi final noise was louder than anything I'm amazed - was it??? St Etienne was unbelievable.

It was old chum, I was at both

nighty night old chum

regards

Great read vladders, thanks for that.

Really enjoyed it and very insightful. I was i had the opportunity to stand on the old Kop, alas im a little too young. I get annoyed when im in the Kop and people dont raise there scarf to sing YNWA before games, its what we are famous for, why the hell aren't they doing it?? I generally only get to games like Charlton, Portsmouth Etc... and i do sing to every song.

Your point about females might be a little wrong though, as Anita, Irish, Marquis et al. Might also suggest, Jan 2005 at Carrow Road Norwich V Liverpool, i was sat in front of 2 girls. And believe me, they were more than doing there bit. Singing to every song, chanting to Johnny Rockets especially.

Another factor for the none alcohol enduced chanting, (and not wishing this to sound like an OOTer comment, as you can see i'm from out of town myself). Is the fact they supporters these days show up an hr before kick off, and leave straight after final whistle, of course the driver not being able to drink. For the most part, Away games, people travel on supporter coaches, which drinking is all part of the fun. 7am... bus.... drink :D

But Cracking read.

I never stood on the old Kop so I won't even attempt a comparison between today and 20 odd years ago.

I've been to a few games recently though and the quality of support has varied greatly. The Spurs game at the weekend had a decent level of support, the Arsenal game in February did too. The one game I went to when the atmosphere was dire was a 0-0 draw against Charlton in March.

The only correlation I can draw here is that the atmosphere is better when we're winning and when we're playing good teams. Fairly self evident isn't it ?

It seems to me that Anfield cheers and sings when it has something to cheer and sing about. In essence the fans mirror what happens on the pitch. Should it be that way though ?

We've all heard the stories of the fantastic support that the team received in Istanbul when we were three down (I know some people on this site were there), we all know how the team reacted. They were lifted by the depth of feeling behind the supporters songs.

So we know that there's a reciprocal relationship between the fans and the team. I believe we as fans can change the atmosphere more easily than the team can change the course of a game against tough opposition. So it seems to me that the responsibility lies with the fans to create the atmosphere in order to help our team through it's games.

I'm with Jamo on this one, I really wish it had have gone on about longer Vlad.

Superb read, and exactly the reason why this Forum was conjured up.

Not sure why, but I almost took a certain pride out of the fact that the Chelsea game was Vlad's favourite atmosphere. Almost proves that when required, this generation can do it.

Mr_V said:
Another factor for the none alcohol enduced chanting, (and not wishing this to sound like an OOTer comment, as you can see i'm from out of town myself). Is the fact they supporters these days show up an hr before kick off, and leave straight after final whistle, of course the driver not being able to drink. For the most part, Away games, people travel on supporter coaches, which drinking is all part of the fun. 7am... bus.... drink :D

But Cracking read.

Dont mean to offend anyone, but this is spot on IMO.

I always sing twice as hard when I have had a bevvie or 7. People lose their inhibitions when they have had a drink and dont care what people say or think about them. Fans who have to drive a fair way to get to Anfield wont have a drink. This holds back the singing.

Thats why for me, cup finals always create the best atmosphere. Everyone is just bevvied and its fcukin boss.

Piedro and MR_ got it right, we all need beers to lose inhibitions and we all need the security of mates to enable us to fully go for it in the singing stakes.

I do also believe the timing of games affects the atmosphere, I personally thought the atmosphere against spurs was very poor first half. Second half when the tempo was picked up we picked up as fans.

It is a case of both players and fans doing their bit. We need to start singing before the kick off and keep it going and the players need to maintain a high tempo to engage us.

Piedro said:
Mr_V said:

But Cracking read.

Dont mean to offend anyone, but this is spot on IMO.

I always sing twice as hard when I have had a bevvie or 7. People lose their inhibitions when they have had a drink and dont care what people say or think about them. Fans who have to drive a fair way to get to Anfield wont have a drink. This holds back the singing.

Thats why for me, cup finals always create the best atmosphere. Everyone is just bevvied and its fcukin boss.

I hope you read it Peter, I am not sure you did , and I will be asking questions later....

regards

oh!.......... :wink:

Rosco has touched on the conundrum that is interesting

Chicken and egg situation, which should come first?

Should the crowd be lifting the players, or should the players give the crowd something to cheer about.

I think that is part of the difference now, to then.

If you had sent out six chimps in a red shirt the crowd would have responded.
I think now part of the attitude is.. "Go on then, you are on £50k a week, this match has cost me thirty quid....entertain me.
Is thios part of the shift away from the lower earners to the middle earners, more of an "expectation" of value for money?

regards

regards

Vlads Quiff said:
Rosco has touched on the conundrum that is interesting

Chicken and egg situation, which should come first?

Should the crowd be lifting the players, or should the players give the crowd something to cheer about.

I think that is part of the difference now, to then.

If you had sent out six chimps in a red shirt the crowd would have responded.
I think now part of the attitude is.. "Go on then, you are on £50k a week, this match has cost me thirty quid....entertain me.
Is thios part of the shift away from the lower earners to the middle earners, more of an "expectation" of value for money?

regards

regards

Exactly..... the obvious analogy I somehow missed ! From my limited experience there is an element of people sitting back, arms folded waiting to be entertained.

It's not often that I get to Anfield (Although I've been 4 times in the last 7 months) and when I do I feel privileged to be there. The last thing I'm going to do is sit back and ask to be entertained. I honestly feel as fans we should be grateful for being there. We have a responsibility to the team to create an atmosphere which helps them succeed, just like every other party associated with the club has.

Rosco said:
[
It's not often that I get to Anfield (Although I've been 4 times in the last 7 months) and when I do I feel privileged to be there.

exactly as I suggested.........."That does not mean to be dismissive of the none season ticket holders……indeed are they part of the answer to the cup game conundrum? Is it in fact us season ticket holders that are holding things back? "

I don't mean to suggest that all season ticket holders are holding us back, that would be stupid(yours truly being one). Perhaps, as I also suggested , people may be seated in the right places?
We will hopefully have the ideal opportunity to perhaps address that in the not too distant future, but when that does happen the club needs to think about how to regain the lost ground and keep it.

regards

(Sorry I am spamming my own thread now , I shall stop)

It's a remarkably tricky prospect. Are they going to ask on Season Ticket applications if you'd prefer to be in the singing or non-singing section ? :D

I don't think it can fairly be said that any one particular set of fans (season ticket holders, out of towners etc) are the cause or solution to the problem.It's down to an individual's attitude.
Is it something that a concerted effort by a good section of the crowd can help to change ?

My season ticket used to be in the Upper Centenary, 6 rows from the back, right on the half-way line. Probably the best seat in the house but we purposefully moved back to The Kop because of the lack of atmosphere up in the Gods. I'm now stuck right in the corner (Centenary side) of The Kop and while the atmosphere is better, it's still nothing like it should be.

I think the early kick-offs are part of the problem. Is it the move to all-seater stadiums? Look at the "big" games where The Kop stands throughout. The atmosphere is electric. Is this because it's a big game or is it because everyone is standing?

In essence, I haven't got a clue but think it's a combination of factors.

I was wondering the other day whether a upgrade in stadium will improve the atmosphere or reduce it, i like the way Rafa has said that he would like a stadium like Boca's a true couldron with steep towering stands that force an atmosphere!

Peatcheo II said:
I was wondering the other day whether a upgrade in stadium will improve the atmosphere or reduce it, i like the way Rafa has said that he would like a stadium like Boca's a true couldron with steep towering stands that force an atmosphere!

Looking at the plans and the virtual tour of the new stadium, I can't see how it will have the same atmosphere that Anfield has, even with the extra fans.

eecheerow said:
Peatcheo II said:

Looking at the plans and the virtual tour of the new stadium, I can't see how it will have the same atmosphere that Anfield has, even with the extra fans.

To be honest, it's impossible to say, until we actually *see* the inside of it.

Besides, the design in question isn't the final design, at least I hope it's not, it's not tight enough to the pitch.

Here's the tour...

mms://play.wm.liverpoolfc.servecast.net/liverpoolfc/preview/newanfieldvirtualtour_medium.wmv

I meant to come back to this post sooner. Did anyone else notice just how vocal our support at the Reebok stadium was ?

Rosco said:
I meant to come back to this post sooner. Did anyone else notice just how vocal our support at the Reebok stadium was ?

The same in every away match Rosco, pity about the fans at home :roll:

Rosco said:

It always is Ross.
Go to any away ground and the home support is always shite. It's not a Liverpool problem, it's across the board.

Rosco said:

I did Ross and I thought they were superb.

I don't go in for all this bollocks about size and shape of stadia. The bottom line is, no matter where we go as supporters are fans are always heard. Be it the Ataturk Stadium, the Millenium Stadium or Kenilworth Road our fans will always make a louder noise than most away fans.

The new Anfield will be fine no matter how big it is because it will be filled by the loudest fans in the world, fact.

Back
Top Bottom