• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Your time is up Diego?

Status
Not open for further replies.

red_maradona

Very Active
It's dawning upon me that Messi is now (or certainly will be) a better player than Diego, is this right? He seems to be consistently performing at an incredible level at the highest european stage and one of the best leagues in the world. He has won la liga and the champs league and seems to score hatricks for fun now. His dribbling, close ball control, finishing all seem to be on a par with Maradona. His passing is almost there.

However, I don't think he has the dead balls skills of Diego nor the leadership qualities. Finally, he has not won the world cup. All this goes against him in terms of comparing him with the greatest.

What do others think? Is Messi now better than Diego? Is it a matter of time before he will be?

One area in which Messi outshines Maradona is heading a ball well without manual aid. ;)

Overall he's got to keep performing at the top for a while yet to be rated on a par with Maradona, but if he keeps on the way he's going it's definitely possible that he'll make it IMO.

To be fair, if Diego had the protection Messi gets in La Liga nowadays, he'd have scored many more goals and hattricks for fun too.

[quote author=ibromurph link=topic=39457.msg1075174#msg1075174 date=1269289464]
To be fair, if Diego had the protection Messi gets in La Liga nowadays, he'd have scored many more goals and hattricks for fun too.
[/quote]

very good point, obv not messi's fault, also diego did do his business in arguably the most defence orientated leagues in the world.

He also did the business (at club level and for his country) in teams that weren't exactly packed with ace players.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=39457.msg1075173#msg1075173 date=1269289457]
One area in which Messi outshines Maradona is heading a ball well without manual aid. ;)

Overall he's got to keep performing at the top for a while yet to be rated on a par with Maradona, but if he keeps on the way he's going it's definitely possible that he'll make it IMO.
[/quote]

he's got that aspect covered too ;)

Messi Hand of God Goal vs Espanyol 09/06/2007

In terms of the world cup, Messi doesn't just have to get by the opposition. He needs to overcome a dodgy incompetent manager.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=39457.msg1075183#msg1075183 date=1269290151]
I'd love to see Diego manage a PL team.
[/quote]

me too. manu.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=39457.msg1075187#msg1075187 date=1269290343]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=39457.msg1075183#msg1075183 date=1269290151]
I'd love to see Diego manage a PL team.
[/quote]

me too. manu.
[/quote]

As long as it wasn't us, i think i'd find it highly entertaining Spidey.

Can you imagine what his post match interviews would be like?

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=39457.msg1075177#msg1075177 date=1269289729]
He also did the business (at club level and for his country) in teams that weren't exactly packed with ace players.
[/quote]

another good point - put Messi in the 87 Napoli squad and would they be the same? Or would he have won the WC in 86? THe more I think about it hte more I think that Messi is still a long way away, but a WC victory would really push him very close.

Messi has got a million miles to go before he should be mentioned in the same breath as Maradona.

Maradona was a footballing god, a genius, a leader and a player who could win a match by himself.

Messi is surrounded by utter quality, we would need to see how much impact he would have on the game if he played for a less capable team to really judge his value.

Not having that.

Maradonna had zero protection and got fouled on average once every 2 mins or something crazy like that.

Different times.

[quote author=Terrier link=topic=39457.msg1075205#msg1075205 date=1269293473]
Maradona was a Rooney type of figure, ferocious and very difficult to knock off the ball.
[/quote]

don't u mean rooney was a maradona type player?

I think he's getting there.

For all the brilliant players Barca do have, they do lean on him a lot. That tells you a lot about young Messi - he doesn't need to move to some rubbish middling team.

He does need a couple big world cups though. Hard to see that happening this time around with Mardonna in charge though.

[quote author=Peatcheo link=topic=39457.msg1075207#msg1075207 date=1269293492]
Anyone got a link to his hattrick the other day?
[/quote]

In the footy links forum mate.

[quote author=red_maradona link=topic=39457.msg1075166#msg1075166 date=1269288970]

It's dawning upon me that Messi is now (or certainly will be) a better player than Diego, is this right?

[/quote]

No.

Deigo had the strength and brute force of a f$%!ing bull.

Messi may, if he plays at this level for most of his career, have something to say about it in ten years. But not yet.

I tell ya what's frightening / awe-inspiring... He's 22. He's 4 or 5 years from peaking. What a talent.

I can't help but think he's peaking now. I just don't see how much more he can improve - he already does it all.

At the age of 22, he's got 79 goals in 133 appearances (not sure how up to date that is) for Barcelona and has won three league titles, two champion leagues, a few other trophies as well as the Ballon D'or and Fifa Player of the Year. He is already one of the best players ever I think. He needs a stellar World Cup to really cement his place alongside the likes of Maradona though.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=39457.msg1075274#msg1075274 date=1269314817]
I can't help but think he's peaking now. I just don't see how much more he can improve - he already does it all.

At the age of 22, he's got 79 goals in 133 appearances (not sure how up to date that is) for Barcelona and has won three league titles, two champion leagues, a few other trophies as well as the Ballon D'or and Fifa Player of the Year. He is already one of the best players ever I think. He needs a stellar World Cup to really cement his place alongside the likes of Maradona though.
[/quote]

He'll become bigger, stronger, faster. He'll be able to do all the things he does now, but faster. And more. He may not grow much more talent-wise, but his body is far from completely mature yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom