• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Youth and Reserves thread - 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some Twitter twatter that we've sold Hodzic to Dinamo Zagreb because of some work permit issues.
With a buy back clause mind.

Some Twitter twatter that we've sold Hodzic to Dinamo Zagreb because of some work permit issues.
With a buy back clause mind.

Confirmed on Dinamo Zagreb's website. No mention of any fees/clause though.
http://gnkdinamo.hr/hr/novosti/vijesti/hodzic-stigao-u-dinamo!.html
Bn__GCCCYAA3c7I.jpg

Michael O'Neill on Ryan McLaughlin's return to Northern Ireland squad

[article=http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27467924]"Ryan's situation has been very well documented but my conversations with him have been ongoing.

"I have never fallen out with players for being unavailable for whatever reasons and I'm not going to start now.

"The conversations I have had with Ryan recently have been very positive and he said he would like to be considered for the summer tour to South America, if selected.

"I am very much thinking long-term and Ryan understands that and was happy to make himself available which is terrific for us.

"He is delighted to be back involved in the international set-up and I am delighted to have him.

"Players have a lot to deal with these days but there has never been any issue with Ryan.

"The situation was quite simple; he didn't think being away from Liverpool to go on international duty would be beneficial to him.

"Having gone on loan to Barnsley I think he has seen what it could do for him and his development."[/article]

Brendan Rodgers says Martin Kelly has a role to play in the Liverpool FC first team and has hinted the defender will be given his chance next season.
The 24-year-old has featured just 15 times under Rodgers, largely down to being sidelined for more than a year after rupturing his knee against Manchester United in September 2012.
Kelly started just twice for Liverpool this year – both in the FA Cup against Oldham Athletic and Bournemouth – but is itching for a regular spot.
And with Liverpool needing to adjust to a hectic fixture list that includes Champions League football next year, Rodgers feels Kelly can earn his keep at Anfield.
“Martin has been really unfortunate,” said Rodgers.
“He was out for a year, he came back this season and at the beginning of the season we put him into some games.
“But as the season wore on and we were concentrating on one game a week, it was very difficult for him to get games.
“He’s a quality player and he’s a good guy as well. He knows the club inside out. He’s been around for a long time and the game against Shamrock Rovers was his first game for a number of months.
“He played at centre-half, as opposed to right-back, where he has played a lot.
“He’s a good guy and there will be games next year for the likes of him to come and play in if we continue to qualify in the competitions.”

482263065.jpg
Brendan Rodgers with Martin Skrtel and Martin Kelly

Kelly’s ruptured anterior cruciate ligament brought his promising start to the 2012 season to an end. The defender made his return more than a year later in a 1-0 loss to Manchester United in the Capital One Cup, coming on as a second-half substitute.
Kelly got 90 minutes under his belt in Liverpool’s end-of-season friendly against Shamrock Rovers on Wednesday – his first full match since January – and scored the third in the Reds’ 4-0 win.
After the game, Kelly tweeted for the first time in more than three months: “So happy to play 90mins today, even in a friendly.
“Going to carry on working hard in the off season for the best possible start in July YNWA.”

Michael O'Neill on Ryan McLaughlin's return to Northern Ireland squad

[article=http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27467924]"Ryan's situation has been very well documented but my conversations with him have been ongoing.

"I have never fallen out with players for being unavailable for whatever reasons and I'm not going to start now.

"The conversations I have had with Ryan recently have been very positive and he said he would like to be considered for the summer tour to South America, if selected.

"I am very much thinking long-term and Ryan understands that and was happy to make himself available which is terrific for us.

"He is delighted to be back involved in the international set-up and I am delighted to have him.

"Players have a lot to deal with these days but there has never been any issue with Ryan.

"The situation was quite simple; he didn't think being away from Liverpool to go on international duty would be beneficial to him.

"Having gone on loan to Barnsley I think he has seen what it could do for him and his development."[/article]

I was wondering when this tour was, and if it'd affect his pre-season training with the club. Turns out it's just a couple of games in the next 2 weeks to serve as punching bags and confidence boosters for Uruguay and Chile. :D

...the friendly matches against Uruguay in Montevideo on Friday 30 May and against Chile in Valparaiso on Wednesday 4 June...

I don't think we have any vacancies right now at the Academy (other than the head honcho post that has been vacated and not filled), but it might not hurt for us to to sound them out to see if there's something they could be interested in.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/20/luke-shaw-gutted-southampton-sack-academy-coached

Luke Shaw ‘gutted’ after Southampton sack Academy coaches
• Surprise at club after Jason Dodd and Paul Williams given boot
• England left-back vents disappointment on Twitter

David Hytner
theguardian.com, Tuesday 20 May 2014 12.52 BST

Luke Shaw has expressed his disappointment at Southampton’s decision to sack Jason Dodd and Paul Williams, the under-18 coaches who, he says, helped him greatly on his rise through the club’s ranks.

There was a sense of shock at the Southampton Academy on Tuesday morning as employees digested the news, the feeling that it had come out of the blue and Shaw, the 18-year-old left-back, who will go to the World Cup with England, reflected the mood in a tweet.

“Gutted for Doddsy and Willo,” Shaw wrote. “Helped me a lot in my development over the years. Wish them all the best in their careers.”

Staff received no official notification via email from the club on Tuesday, as is normally the case when restructuring takes place, although it was assumed that it was because a negotiation over settlements for Dodd and Williams was on-going. Instead, there was speculation at St Mary’s about how two such key employees would be replaced.

Dodd, the under-18 manager, and Williams, his assistant, were a part of the Academy production line that has rolled out players for the first-team such as Adam Lallana, Shaw, James Ward-Prowse, Calum Chambers and Sam Gallagher. Harrison Reed, Lloyd Isgrove, Sam McQueen, Omar Rowe and Jake Sinclair also made first-team appearances over this past season.

Dodd is a Southampton legend, having made over 400 appearances for the club while Williams was also an ex-player for them. Matt Hale, the Academy manager, told them of their fate but Les Reed, the club’s director, oversees the so-called “bottom end” of technical operations.

Shaw is the subject of a £27m bid from Manchester United and he has told Southampton that he wishes to consider the move. Lallana has said the same to them about Liverpool’s £20m offer for him.

The dismissals of Dodd and Williams are unrelated to the future of the manager, Mauricio Pochettino, who is a target for Tottenham Hotspur. Pochettino has one year to run on his Southampton contract and he is open to considering any official approach from Tottenham. But Southampton are working to convince him that their ambitions match his own and there is a confidence at the club that he will stay.

Seven players released. Im admittedly not too up to date with the kids, but surprised to see Roddan and Bijev take off, thought they were decent. Article below.

http://thenextgenkopites.wordpress.com/2014/05/27/liverpool-release-seven/

As we near the end of May, many Premier League clubs will announce the players who will be departing the club when their respective contracts run out on 1st June, and this is no different for Liverpool as they have released seven players with many more still fighting for their place in the side.

The Reds released one goalkeeper, two defenders, two midfielders and two strikers as manager Brendan Rodgers looks set to remove the ‘deadwood’ in his squad.

The goalkeeper released was Yusuf Mersin. Mersin was a promising Turkish shot-stopper when he arrived at Kirkby from Millwall in January 2011 for a reported £1m. The 19 year old had represented his country at Under 16 and Under 17 level, but struggled to make appearances for the Under 21s this season, as Danny Ward and then trialist Lawrence Vigouroux were above him in the pecking order. The towering ‘keeper, who is almost two metres in height made 7 appearances this season between the posts for Liverpool, conceding 9 goals. It is unclear where Mersin will go from here, but everyone here at TheNextGenKopites wish him all the best in the future.

The defenders released were central defender turned right-back Stephen Sama and centre back Jakub Sokolik. Cameron-born Sama moved to Liverpool from German side Borussia Dortmund in June 2009 and progressed well through the Academy and into the Under 21s. Sama even went on Brendan Rodgers’ first pre-season tour as a Liverpool manager in the summer of 2012. The 21 year old even broke into the first team squad on a few occasions but didn’t make his full debut. It seemed that Sama was surplus to requirements following the signing of Real Madrid’s Rafael Paez and the rise of form of England Under 19 centre half Lloyd Jones. It is likely that Sama will join German side VFL Bochum, who compete in the second tier of German football. Interestingly, Sama has already featured of VFL Bochum when he was a youngster before joining Borussia Dortmund on a free transfer in the summer of 2007. Sama made 8 appearances for the Under 21s this season, getting one assist.

The next defender released was Czech Republic centre-half Jakub Sokolik. Sokolik arrived at Liverpool from Czech Republic side Banik Ostrava in the 2009-10 season. Since then he progressed all the way through to Under 21 level, but couldn’t leap over the final hurdle and repeat what Vladimir Smicer, Milan Baros and Patrik Berger did and play for the first team. Sokolik represented Czech Republic at Under 16 through to Under 19 level and looked promising. In March 2014, Sokolik joined League Two side Southend United and helped Phil Brown’s side reach the play-offs but unfortunately were beat by Burton Albion in the semi-finals. Overall, Sokolik made 12 appearances for Southend in his two months with the club and it looks likely that he will head there on a permanent basis after impressing. However, there may be interest from League One clubs and maybe even a few League Two sides because of the impact he made at Southend.

The two midfielders that were released were Yalany Baio and Craig Roddan.

Baio played a major part of the FA Youth Cup campaign in 2012/13, but since Jordan Rossiter and now Pedro Chirivella look set to occupy the defensive midfield positions over the next few years, Baio was out the team and out of favour by manager Alex Inglethorpe, as he only made a handful of substitute appearances. The defensive midfielder, originally from Guinea-Bissau played just 25 minutes all season so it was the right decision to let him go. The 19 year old had had trials with Huddlesfield and Sheffield Wednesday but is unclear where he will go from Liverpool.

The next midfielder released was Craig Roddan. Roddan was a solid defensive midfielder with very good passing abilities. He was an under-rated player when playing for the Reds and looked like a solid fixture in the Under 21s this season, but his age was a problem as it is very rare nowadays to see a 21 year old competing at Under 21 level. He was loaned out to Carlisle United and then Accrington Stanley, but failed to make an impact at both clubs as he made a total of 1 appearance between the two loan spells. He did though play 6 games for the Under 21s this season, scoring once. Like with Baio, it is unclear where Roddan will go after his two loans didn’t go to plan.

The two strikers that were released were Villyan Bijev and Michael Ngoo. Bijev is a 21 year old forward who has represented both the USA and Bulgaria at youth level. After joining the Reds in July 2011, Bijev had two loan spells, first at German side Dusseldorf and then with Norwegian side Start. In his seven appearances this season, Bijev has scored one goal and assisted another. Bijev had work permit issues but his most memorable moment in his short career was when he scored against Arsenal at Underhill in May 2013 to secure the point Liverpool needed to qualify for the Under 21s Elite Group. Again, it is unclear where Bijev will go from Liverpool.

The final player released was towering forward Michael Ngoo. Ngoo joined the Reds from Southend United in September 2009. In the 2010/11 season, Ngoo impressed for the Under 18s despite persistent injury problems scoring 15 goals. His success with the Under 18s and then the reserves earned him a call-up to the England Under 20 World Cup squad in Columbia. However, he has struggled for game time recently and in the 2013/14 season, he had two loan spells, firstly with Yeovil and then League One side Walsall. Before that he had a very successful loan spell at SPL side Hearts, scoring in the Scottish Cup Final. Despite his lack of game time for the Under 21s this season, Ngoo made a total of 26 appearances in the season, scoring 4 goals and claiming an assist.

Roddan and Bijev have never looked like they had any chance at all. The latter was a strange signing in the first place, albeit free, and the former has been stagnating in our reserves for at least 2 years, with no prospect of ever even making a first team appearance.

Not surprised with any of the departures, though Sokolik seems to have done well for himself on loan at Southend based on the comments by @Pesam
Yeah and I'm sure he'll have a good career in the lower divisions but the Championship will probably be the highest level he could play at. Some players have a re-birth at about 23-24 and I wouldn't totally rule out Sokolik ever playing in the EPL but it's very unlikely and at some stage a decision has to be made to set him free and find his level. As with all ex-Reds I'll follow him in the lower leagues, I love watching John Welsh, Darren Potter, Jack Hobbs etc who have made good careers for themselves.

I think some people assume when we release players and they struggle in smaller clubs it's proof they were never any good. It's not always the case: some just never get over the disappointment, and lose their drive and their way. Roddan has the ability to have a good career if he goes to a half-decent club, like Fulham or Norwich, a bit like Hignett did.

I think some people assume when we release players and they struggle in smaller clubs it's proof they were never any good. It's not always the case: some just never get over the disappointment, and lose their drive and their way. Roddan has the ability to have a good career if he goes to a half-decent club, like Fulham or Norwich, a bit like Hignett did.
Do you really think Fulham or Norwich would have any interest in Roddan? He will be doing well to get a club never mind joining two that have just been relegated from the premiership.

Roddan has been trying to get a club with the last year and his loan to Carlisle included the option for a permanent transfer at the end which they passes on. It's tough for young players Steve Irwin was a far better player and he is still without a club I believe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27618421

Ryan McLaughlin is expected to make his Northern Ireland debut against Uruguay after ending any doubt about his international commitment.

Last summer he asked not to be considered for international duty and it was feared that he was thinking of defecting to the Republic of Ireland.

"When previous international breaks were on, the Liverpool first team were having games behind closed doors.
"I thought it was best for me to stay and concentrate on that," he said.

McLaughlin has yet to play competitively for the Reds and his senior career to date comprises nine games on loan to Barnsley last season.

"I didn't think I would play much for Northern Ireland and Brendan Rodgers was there, so I thought it was a brilliant opportunity for me," added the 19-year-old.

McLaughlin is highly-rated by the Irish Football Association and was earmarked some time ago as a candidate for Michael O'Neill's first team.

“I know supporters will be paranoid about it but I have no problem with that because I understand where they are coming from”

He accepted a call-up for Friday's friendly in Uruguay and the June 4 date in Chile, and was quick to confirm he had never intended following the likes of James McClean in declaring for the FAI.

"I'm a catholic from Belfast and people think I probably supported the Republic as a kid. They then maybe think I'm not playing because I want to switch to the Republic," he said.

"They have a right think that because players have done it in the past, but I met Michael O'Neill face-to-face and I told him my reasons.

"I know supporters will be paranoid about it but I have no problem with that because I understand where they are coming from. People will believe what they want to be believe but that was the truth."

O'Neill always remained confident that McLaughlin would return to the fold when the time was right, but the player himself declined to speak publicly on the subject due to his own lack of profile.

"I'm a nobody. I haven't done anything in the game to be coming out and making big statements so I just left it to whatever Michael O'Neill said," explained the defender.

"I was 18 and didn't want to make any statements. I think it would have been embarrassing for me to come out and make all sorts of comments."

While Northern Ireland struggle for options at right-back, the same cannot be said at Liverpool, where McLaughlin faces the task of competing with Glen Johnson, Jon Flanagan and Martin Kelly.

Nevertheless, he feels the Reds' Champions League qualification might help open the door.
"Liverpool are in so many competitions next season so hopefully I will get a chance because we will have to rotate the squad a bit," he said.

"The manager has shown he will take a chance on young players. Look at how Jon Flanagan came out of the blue under Brendan and took his chance.

"I know where I want to be and that is Liverpool. I will set my goals high; I want to make a name for myself at Liverpool and do well for the club."

-------------------------

He played for 3 mins.

Yeah, BBC NI were bleating on about how he was going to make his debut so like a mug I stayed up to watch it only for him to be put on in the final minutes. Uruguay don't really look anything special without Suarez.

I think you've got chances in this game. They're no better than England at the back anyway, whoever plays up front for them. If England are in reasonable form in Brazil and have the b@lls to attack them, we can definitely hurt them. The conditions will suit them far better though.

Dated 22 May 2014 (Sorry its a bit outdated, just came across it)
24295245.jpg

[article=http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/fulton-comes-face-to-face-with-family-ties.24292980]LIVERPOOL goalkeeper Ryan Fulton was stunned when he turned up at the Scotland Under-19 team hotel to prepare for the elite round of European Championship qualifying in England and met a long-lost relative.

Scotland are in a four-team group and kick off their campaign against Ukraine in Burton-on-Trent on Saturday. Ricky Sbragia's exciting group includes Dundee United pair Ryan Gauld and John Souttar, as well as Celtic's Liam Henderson, and they face an Auld Enemy clash with England on Monday before rounding off the tournament against Montenegro next Thursday.

The winners of the group will qualify for the finals in Hungary later this summer and Sbragia's group will be looking to emulate Scot Gemmill's boys, who reached the Under-17 semi-finals earlier this week in Malta.

In goal will be Liverpool 18-year-old Fulton, who was handed a three-year contract with the Premier League runners-up last year. He was born and brought up in Burnley but his father, Brian, hails from Paisley and he received a surprise when he checked in at the team hotel in Cumbernauld yesterday.

He said: "I was born in Burnley, but I can play for Scotland through my dad and my grandparents. Scotland obviously got wind of it and called me up at an early age.

"I first played at 15 for the Victory Shield squad and it's always been Scotland for me. I'm happy here and I don't see myself changing in the future. It was natural for me to play for Scotland. My dad is very proud that I've chosen Scotland - he loves it. Everywhere I go, he comes along.

"I've got an extended family up in Scotland and I actually met one of my aunties, Alison, today for the very first time. Amazingly, she works in the hotel we're staying at.

"The last time she saw me I was just a baby. But my dad rang her today and it turns out she works in this hotel. I bumped into her and it's the first time I've ever met her. It was mad meeting her, really weird. I literally just bumped into her walking through the hotel."

Fulton, who rejected overtures to play for England, said he had received plenty of encouragement from senior custodians at Anfield.

"I play for the club's Under-21 team but I train with the first team and I've spent a bit of time in and around them. Maybe next season I'll get out on loan to play some games. But Simon Mignolet and Brad Jones are always giving me good advice. They give me tips on how I can improve and on match preparation, stuff like that," he said.

"Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez are no different to any other player, they're really down to earth. When you go in, they greet you, say hello and ask how you're doing.

"They have a laugh and they're just like any of the other lads."[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom