• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rank our youngsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
American sports have this system where scouts (I think) rank each team's "prospects" in terms of projected value. So some kid playing for an affiliate of a MLB team would be ranked, say, #1 among infielders and #5 prospect on the team overall. So can I ask posters who watch the U21 games more or less regularly to try to rank our "prospects"? Maybe try to come up with top 10 – and then every year we can try to revisit the predictions.

Here are the names, positions and ages:
First team:
CB Joe Gomez, 20
RB/CM Trent Alexander-Arnold, 18
RB/CM Connor Randall, 21
CM Marko Grujic, 21
CM Ovie Ejaria, 19
LW Sheyi Ojo, 19
CF/AM Ben Woodburn, 17
CM Cameron Brannagan, 21

On loan:
LW Ryan Kent, 20
CM Allan, 20
CM Pedro Chirivella, 20
CF Taiwo Awoniyi, 19

Academy (most well-known ones):
GK Kamil Grabara, 18
GK/CF :) Shamal George, 19
CB Tom Brewitt, 20
RB Corey Whelan, 19
LB/CB Juanma, 20
CM Jordan Williams, 20
AM Harry Wilson, 20
AM Paulo Alves, 20
RW Bobby Adekanye, 18
AM Yan Dhanda, 18
CF Rhian Brewster, 17
CF Toni Gomes, 18

I'm not sure we should be ranking youngsters. That sort of thing can get you in the papers and social media.

CM Cameron Brannagan, 21
CM Marko Grujic, 21
RB/CM Connor Randall, 21
CB Joe Gomez, 20
LW Ryan Kent, 20
CM Allan, 20
CM Pedro Chirivella, 20
LB/CB Juanma, 20
CM Jordan Williams, 20
AM Harry Wilson, 20
AM Paulo Alves, 20
CB Tom Brewitt, 20
CM Ovie Ejaria, 19
LW Sheyi Ojo, 19
RB Corey Whelan, 19
CF Taiwo Awoniyi, 19
GK/CF :) Shamal George, 19
RW Bobby Adekanye, 18
AM Yan Dhanda, 18
RB/CM Trent Alexander-Arnold, 18
GK Kamil Grabara, 18
CF Toni Gomes, 18
CF Rhian Brewster, 17
CF/AM Ben Woodburn, 17

I have ranked them after age, oldest at the top.

Sometimes a young player seems to pick up a momentum that makes any finer distinctions irrelevant, and at this moment that player is Rhian Brewster. There's just something about him now that suggests to me he'll be the one everyone talks about next season.

Of the rest, excluding Alexander-Arnold and Woodburn, whom I'd regard as regulars in the first team squad these days, I'd rate the others in terms of being most likely to make a breakthrough:

Kent
Wilson
Herbie Kane
Chirivella
Ejaria
Gomes
Coyle
Randall
Ojo
Dhanda

The problem with Randall, whom I like, is there's so much senior competition ahead of him for his position in midfield, otherwise I'd put him higher up. The problem with Ojo, who really ought to be at the very top of the pecking order by now, is he just doesn't seem to learn, or learn quickly enough. There's still a chance for him but he's straining the patience of the coaching staff. As for the rest, I think it'll be more down to what position(s) become free in certain games next season, rather than whose basic talent will elevate them to the first team squad. There are quite a few variables that will ultimately determine who makes a mark.

Of all the youngsters, I think Trent Alexander-Arnold is the only one so far whom I would like to get a regular place in the first team. He seems very competent in both the defensive and attacking aspects of the game. I wish Klopp had taken more opportunities to pick him in place of Clyne who had an indifferent season.

Sometimes a young player seems to pick up a momentum that makes any finer distinctions irrelevant, and at this moment that player is Rhian Brewster. There's just something about him now that suggests to me he'll be the one everyone talks about next season.

Of the rest, excluding Alexander-Arnold and Woodburn, whom I'd regard as regulars in the first team squad these days, I'd rate the others in terms of being most likely to make a breakthrough:

Kent
Wilson
Herbie Kane
Chirivella
Ejaria
Gomes
Coyle
Randall
Ojo
Dhanda

The problem with Randall, whom I like, is there's so much senior competition ahead of him for his position in midfield, otherwise I'd put him higher up. The problem with Ojo, who really ought to be at the very top of the pecking order by now, is he just doesn't seem to learn, or learn quickly enough. There's still a chance for him but he's straining the patience of the coaching staff. As for the rest, I think it'll be more down to what position(s) become free in certain games next season, rather than whose basic talent will elevate them to the first team squad. There are quite a few variables that will ultimately determine who makes a mark.
There it is.

What is TAA's best position though? At the moment it looks like he could play just about anywhere.

Will be expecting a lot more of Grujic next season as well.

Herbie Kane had a few injury problems recently, and sort of fell off the radar, but he's worth keeping an eye on. He's regarded by some at the club as the Dele Alli who DIDN'T get away. The same range of talents, the same degree of competitive nastiness... When Gerrard first started getting involved with the Academy, he singled out two players to give one-on-one coaching sessions - Alexander-Arnold and Herbie Kane. He still calls them 'my two favourites'. Kane's a good prospect.

Kent
Wilson
Herbie Kane
Chirivella
Ejaria
Gomes
Coyle
Randall
Ojo
Dhanda

Woodburn will get a few League cup games next season, nothing more.

I've stated before that the only youth player that really impressed me is Trent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom