• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll A Question Of Goalkeepers

Prefix for Poll Threads

Who should be our Number One?

• Mignolet

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Karius

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Ward

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was an interesting stats piece from someone on twitter (Dan Kennett i think?) and it shows the xG (expected goals, based on some algorithms) for Huddersfield to concede last year and he was suggesting the stats pointed towards Ward actually being pretty below average against what would be expected i.e. conceded more than he should have been, even though they did on paper have a tight defence.

One season of xG data is probably not enough to make a firm decision on Ward. Bit if we watched his games as well and the eye test gives the same impression of him then fair enough.

As for Ming v. Karius - we've seen Ming for 4 or 5 years now. We know what he is now, a good shot stopper but the remainder of his game is shaky so he'll have good and bad spells.

I think its a good idea to test Karius and see whether he can be better, i'd prefer if it wasn't the CL games he plays but we need to find out for sure that he is shit before we go sign someone else

Then put him in, and stick with him for a while. This constant chopping and changing does neither of them any favours.

His confidence is understandably low, i totally disagree with Klopps stance on goalkeepers, i think hes handled this whole GK situation poorly since day dot.

There was an interesting stats piece from someone on twitter (Dan Kennett i think?) and it shows the xG (expected goals, based on some algorithms) for Huddersfield to concede last year and he was suggesting the stats pointed towards Ward actually being pretty below average against what would be expected i.e. conceded more than he should have been, even though they did on paper have a tight defence.
Huddersfield fans were NOT convinced by Ward until the very end of the season. The prevailing opinion was that he was decent enough but not worth keeping for another season whether the got promotion or not. He became a hero in the play offs as huddersfield won both playoff games on penalties and Ward made several (4 I think) excellent penalty saves as well as some very good saves during the games.

I was very impressed with him during the 2 play off games but based on his whole season at Hudders it doesn't sound like he's that great. That said I would pick Ward's grandmother ahead of karius.

Thing with Karius is; when I saw the obligatory youtube compilation of his performances @ Mainz; even though it was a series of good saves he never seemed to collect the ball, it was parried, pushed, deflected etc off various parts of his body. He doesn't seem to have "adhesive" hands and he rarely makes a clean catch. He got lucky at mainz that on many occasions the loose ball evaded other opposition players, at Liverpool it looks like his luck has run out.

His confidence is understandably low, i totally disagree with Klopps stance on goalkeepers, i think hes handled this whole GK situation poorly since day dot.

I think he honestly thought Karius would come in and have the impact of a De Sea or Loris or Cech. Land in England and grab the position by the scruff of the neck. Then Ming would have been clear number 2 and would have left this summer. Sadly he bought a pup and now doesn't know what to do with him. He looks like an outfield player whose had to go in goal.

I think he honestly thought Karius would come in and have the impact of a De Sea or Loris or Cech. Land in England and grab the position by the scruff of the neck. Then Ming would have been clear number 2 and would have left this summer. Sadly he bought a pup and now doesn't know what to do with him. He looks like an outfield player whose had to go in goal.

Didn't De Gea look ropey when he first started though?

*Clutches wildly for imaginary straw*

Didn't De Gea look ropey when he first started though?

*Clutches wildly for imaginary straw*
There was only ONE doubt about De Gea's suitability to the EPL and that was physicality. He seemed weak and lacked bravery in coming out for balls and he certainly lacked "presence" in his first season. He has adapted brilliantly unfortunately.

With Karius it's actually almost the polar opposite, he lacks goalkeeping ability but is brave and physically up to the challenge. Unfortunately it's gonna take a lot longer than 1 season for Karius to learn how to catch a ball etc than it did to get De Gea to "grow a pair".

There was only ONE doubt about De Gea's suitability to the EPL and that was physicality. He seemed weak and lacked bravery in coming out for balls and he certainly lacked "presence" in his first season. He has adapted brilliantly unfortunately.

With Karius it's actually almost the polar opposite, he lacks goalkeeping ability but is brave and physically up to the challenge. Unfortunately it's gonna take a lot longer than 1 season for Karius to learn how to catch a ball etc than it did to get De Gea to "grow a pair".

And there's the whole thing about a new player coming into a team that already knows how to set up, defend and attack, is reasonably settled etc. We don't play the same centre-back pairing two games in a row, let alone the same back four. Those sorts of changes I don't understand really. Even at the height of the whole media bullshit of Rafa rotates all the time he always kept, where possible, the same back four. We're constantly making changes. I don't particularly rate any of our keepers but we don't make it any easier for them to come in and perform well.

The Payet free kick will always annoy me. I was at the game and complaining to the missus that he was too far off centre, almost saying to Dmitri "put it there" so at least as a GK he knew there was only one option for where the ball would go. Unfortunately the ball went straight to the bottom corner and #LK1 wasn't able to get to it in time. Annoying AF. I used to do the same on penalties when I was a keeper, i'd stand slightly off centre to entice the opponent to the side I preferred diving too. Didn't work for me, and didn't work here!

Neither of them should be number one for LFC. I don't see either getting as good as Reina at his best, which is what we need to be aspiring for. Mignolet is a midtable keeper. Karius has been a disaster. I'd gladly him them both off for one top level GK.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I reckon loads of people are going to be eating their words about Karius, Good young goalie who commands his box very well, give him time folks, give him time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom