• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Alisson Wonderland

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can write enough shit to make someone whos never seen him play think Moreno is the best LB in the world. I could probably back it up with fact (I spend half my life looking only T the stats and numbers that make myself look like a pimp) and have you the hapless fan of the club hes signing for foaming at the mouth.

Thats why ive read none of the shit written by twitter statistician fanboys as it just doesnt mean anything to me.

Vs West Ham. Make some saves and help us win the game. End of.

I can write enough shit to make someone whos never seen him play think Moreno is the best LB in the world. I could probably back it up with fact (I spend half my life looking only T the stats and numbers that make myself look like a pimp) and have you the hapless fan of the club hes signing for foaming at the mouth.

Thats why ive read none of the shit written by twitter statistician fanboys as it just doesnt mean anything to me.

This

Sorry Rurik. You know im not your target audience like

Sorry Rurik. You know im not your target audience like

That’s fine and I think you’re ultimately right that all analysis and predictions will be forgotten once the actual games start.

But for me that still doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to understand what kind of player we just signed (for a record-braking fee too!). I think most people wanted Oblak, but as I see it there is a clear reasoning behind preference for Alisson, similarly to why Pep chose Ederson. Personally I think Alisson will need a bit of time to adjust to the physicality of the English game, but if he does then the prospect of getting a GK who combines Ederson’s distribution and De Gea’s reflexes is exciting to say the least.

It's all well and good to repeat the stats, but its clear that twitter bloke doesn't understand them.

To come to the conclusion that it's realistic for us to expect to concede less than 20 goals next season is the outstanding piece of nonsense in there.

It's all well and good to repeat the stats, but its clear that twitter bloke doesn't understand them.

To come to the conclusion that it's realistic for us to expect to concede less than 20 goals next season is the outstanding piece of nonsense in there.

20 less goals a season you say, great!

Did Mignolet not win us 2 points by saving a 90th minute penalty on his debut for us against Stoke?
It shall take more than one game for him to prove his value.

That sentence stuck out like a sore thumb. I still like the stats though. Optimistic on this one. Would have to be a pretty miserable cunt not to be

That sentence stuck out like a sore thumb. I still like the stats though. Optimistic on this one. Would have to be a pretty miserable cunt not to be

Thats it though, we're looking at these stats in regards to Alisson's ability, not to get behind the posters conclusion.

Thats it though, we're looking at these stats in regards to Alisson's ability, not to get behind the posters conclusion.

But you and this other twitter dope don't understand the limitations of the statistics. To draw any conclusions in complete ignorance of the downsides to each particular statistic is pointless.

I can guarantee you all of that twitterati's predictions will be wrong.

I don't know exactly why they will be wrong but he's made assumptions that all the great things about last season staying the same - which is unlikely. And then he's making the assumption that Allison's xG performance is repeatable. Typically it's not. Most goalkeepers xG will regress to the mean.

So it doesn't tell you anything about Alisson's ability - it tells you about his performance was last season. His performance is not just down to him - you have to consider a wide range of other factors too. None of which will be present next season.

Reactions: jan
But you and this other twitter dope don't understand the limitations of the statistics. To draw any conclusions in complete ignorance of the downsides to each particular statistic is pointless.

I don't know exactly why they will be wrong but he's made assumptions that all the great things about last season staying the same - which is unlikely. And then he's making the assumption that Allison's xG performance is repeatable. Typically it's not. Most goalkeepers xG will regress to the mean.

So it doesn't tell you anything about Alisson's ability - it tells you about his performance was last season. His performance is not just down to him - you have to consider a wide range of other factors too. None of which will be present next season.

'You know that new goalie for Liverpool, he actually looks really good'

my son age 6, colours nailed to the mast.
It's on

That makes a refreshing change from watching Karius lob a couple of balls into his own net during the warm up.

xG doesn't consider a whole range of other factors, and other players/tactics/team, it is simply man vs ball and the chances of the shot being saved from position X, this is why De Gea frequently betters the xG. I've no idea whether Allison will beat the xG next season but 'other factors per se' won't be an influence unless we start talking fitness or anything which is affecting him personally.

xG doesn't consider a whole range of other factors, and other players/tactics/team, it is simply man vs ball and the chances of the shot being saved from position X, this is why De Gea frequently betters the xG. I've no idea whether Allison will beat the xG next season but 'other factors per se' won't be an influence unless we start talking fitness or anything which is affecting him personally.
*Ascends tower with assault rifle slung over shoulder*

I notice ILD has just gone ahead and stolen this thread title for his Fantasy Football team.

Fucking hell. How is he 6 already!?

giphy.gif

Also 10 year wedding anniversary today

xG doesn't consider a whole range of other factors, and other players/tactics/team, it is simply man vs ball and the chances of the shot being saved from position X, this is why De Gea frequently betters the xG.

I've no idea whether Allison will beat the xG next season but 'other factors per se' won't be an influence unless we start talking fitness or anything which is affecting him personally.

You've managed to agree with me on the limits of xG, it takes into account whether a shot from a certain position is saved or not, and noted some of the factors not measured in xG which do impact on whether a shot is saved.

So how do you come to the conclusion that other factors won't be an issue ?

Did you just accidentally understand xG for a second ?

He'll face a better quality of opposition week to week than he did last season. He's now playing in a team that doesn't give up many shots, but tends to give away high quality chances.

They will undoubtedly be a factor. He could be the exact same goalkeeper next season and his xG could drop significantly. It's only when you have a number of years of data that you can make a judgment based on xG. One season is virtually meaningless. The second season can give you a steer on how real the first years stats were and so on.

The notion that it could only be his fitness or some personal issue that will affect xG is just nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom