• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Atalanta (A) - EL QF - Thursday 20:00 BST

Fail Ewan Mcgregor GIF

I did. Its boss. Last episode now.
I found it all rather meh compared to the game. Far too much time spent in the vaults, too many boring flashbacks and tries too hard to add humour (that was poor).

Now the game was ACE !

Sadly that was completely predictable. Nice to not get humped again and actually win the game though.
Too many games, too many injuries, too much emotion post Klopps departure news.
We didn’t learn a thing from two years ago, trying to win everything.

It will be very difficult to get anything from an energetic and full of running Fulham side on Sunday.

Only a try hard fanny would then gloat about being right about Liverpool getting beat. Fuck off Pat.
You fucking made a point and threw in a personal dig for no other reason than being a prick so fuck off with your gloating bollox.

I’m gutted we are out but it was coming from a mile away. The fact I called it out, doesn’t make a try hard fanny. The team is knackered and flat after going out to Utd the Cup. The tie was lost at home and tonight was always going to end in us going out.

Who knows, we could find a way to beat Fulham dead on our feet on Sunday and give us a spark.
We will have rest between our remaining league games now so we could recovery some form but we need to dig deeper than ever before for Sunday.

No surprise we were utterly lifeless again.

No surprise we were clueless with what to do when they went man for man.

No surprise the likes of Szobo, Salah and Jones turned in stinkers again.

No surprise to see Trent doing what he wants when he wants and not giving a fuck.

So no surprise we've gone out on a whimper.

Roll on 24/25 baby. Cannot.fucking.wait.

I found it all rather meh compared to the game. Far too much time spent in the vaults, too many boring flashbacks and tries too hard to add humour (that was poor).

Now the game was ACE !
Yeh the humour didn’t always work. It’s not exactly Oscar winning material, and it’s flaky in parts, but overall I’ve enjoyed it.

Don't mind getting beat but hate going out with a whimper; that was a whimper.
Hardly ever in that game did we look like a team with urgency, with a plan, with some passion. It was a case of "see what happens", I hate that.
We've over-achieved with Klopp, because of him. We've over-achieved in the Prem this season, the results have belied some of the performances.
But we look flat now, the season is going to peter out. I know it was never us who shouted about the quadruple but, even so, that was never going to happen.
Champions League, if we can hang on, is a great legacy for the new manager to take on. But there is work needed with this squad. I fear there will be no new manager boost, more a non-Klopp blip.

Up until that Utd game in the Cup, we controlled games. We set our stall out, set the tempo, ground games out and then persevered. Hence the number of games won late. We seem to have lost that since then. All these non-plan, chaotic games do us no favour. Every game is so open, it's unreal. And all that does is let inferior teams in. It comes down to chances versus chances and our conversion rate is appalling.

Yeh the humour didn’t always work. It’s not exactly Oscar winning material, and it’s flaky in parts, but overall I’ve enjoyed it.
Yeah I enjoyed it compared to most I've watched recently (Shogun is the best - on a completely different level). It's just a major disappointment to what I expected (based on the game).
For example I thought Last of Us was a much much better adaptation from a brilliant game to the screen. Tokyo Vice (1&2) and 3 Body Problem good series I've seen recently.

Champions League, if we can hang on, is a great legacy for the new manager to take on. But there is work needed with this squad. I fear there will be no new manager boost, more a non-Klopp blip.
I'm not sure. With a new good manager and a few good transfers this Summer (in and out) then I think we could be at the same level (challenging on 4 fronts) as we were this season. Klopp (love him but he's a stubborn git), as well as the players, has been off for a while now and there are obvious tactical changes that could improve us. It will be interesting to watch and a new and exciting challenge for the emotionally drained players.

The first half was ok, but that second half was a depressing state of affairs.
Klopp, what were you thinking?

They moved their team further up, pressed more aggressively, and were more physical.
We had no reply. Tried to play our way out as usual. Again and again and it did not work. How about changing the tactics and approach, Klopp?
We also took it up the ass when they bullied us. No reply.vThe ref allowed physicality, fair enough, so go along with it.

Rarely have I seen us go out with such a whimper. I don't think I can even remember.
We didn't even muster a proper attempt the last 20 min. Shocking.

I'm not sure. With a new good manager and a few good transfers this Summer (in and out) then I think we could be at the same level (challenging on 4 fronts) as we were this season. Klopp (love him but he's a stubborn git), as well as the players, has been off for a while now and there are obvious tactical changes that could improve us. It will be interesting to watch and a new and exciting challenge for the emotionally drained players.
I don’t want to challenge on 4 fronts anymore. League and Europe. That’s it. There will be additional games in Europe and we see how the team gets stretched. Winning the Coca Cola trophy was sound and all that but if everyone at the club had 5 or 10% more energy now we’d be all the better for it.
Ratings

Ali - 8 MoM
Trent - 8 first half 4 second
Ib - 6
VVD - 6
Robbo - 6
Mac - 5 he’s fucked
SoBoss - 4
Jones - 4
Salah - 3 and he gets 1 for the goal
Gakpo - 7
Diaz - 5

Klopp - 3
The echo’s ratings

Alisson Becker 7

Cleaned up a couple of pieces of scrappy defending from Liverpool first half and saved solidly from Ederson and Koopmeiners after interval.

Trent Alexander-Arnold 7

Making his first start in more than two months, won the early penalty and passing caused real problems for Atalanta defence. Got away with one dozy bit of defending, however, and understandably tired a bit later on. Subbed.

Ibrahima Konate 6

Very shaky when in possession during opening stages but defended competently if not always convincingly.

Virgil van Dijk 6

Sustained a hand injury early on and didn’t quite look comfortable for the remainder of the half. Better after the break as Liverpool left themselves regularly open as they chased goals.

Andy Robertson 6

Raided forward regularly down the left before the break and was even furthest man forward on occasion. Second half a more frustrating affair. Subbed.

Alexis Mac Allister 7

Given a lot to do back as the number six but nicked the ball regularly off raiding Atalanta players. Used possession well whenever he could.

Dominik Szoboszlai 5

Fired one shot at Musso first half but otherwise frustrated with some slack distribution in promising areas. Pretty anonymous after the interval. Subbed.

Curtis Jones 6

Another to infuriate before interval when his care in possession was too often stymied by losing the ball needlessly. More careful on the ball after break and better movement.

Mohamed Salah 5

Tucked away the early penalty confidently but guilty of bad miss before half-time and made too many wrong choices. Worrying downturn in form continues. Subbed.

Cody Gakpo 7

Dropped deep regularly and caused Atalanta real issues with his strength and willingness to run with the ball and quick flicks. Moved to left wing for final half-hour.

Luis Diaz 6

Some moments of promise and a lot of hard work but unable to make huge impact. Booked and subbed.

Diogo Jota (for Diaz 66) 5

Scored hat-trick on last visit here but well off the pace this time.

Darwin Nunez (for Salah 66) 6

A couple of forward sprints didn’t amount to much.

Harvey Elliott (for Szoboszlai 66) 6

Big ask to turn this one around but put in a shift.

Joe Gomez (for Alexander-Arnold 72) 6

A few nice touches but this wasn’t his stage.

Jayden Danns (for Robertson 79) 6

European debut for the teenage forward

The first half was ok, but that second half was a depressing state of affairs.
Klopp, what were you thinking?

They moved their team further up, pressed more aggressively, and were more physical.
We had no reply. Tried to play our way out as usual. Again and again and it did not work. How about changing the tactics and approach, Klopp?
We also took it up the ass when they bullied us. No reply.vThe ref allowed physicality, fair enough, so go along with it.

Rarely have I seen us go out with such a whimper. I don't think I can even remember.
We didn't even muster a proper attempt the last 20 min. Shocking.
Its mad. There was a point where Alisson and Konate wasted 5 minutes fucking around and not clearing their lines or showing any urgency. As soon as Ali broke the press and went long, we won the first and second ball and were on the attack. It was the most basic, obvious thing to do and we just had to carry on playing it around our box under pressure, wasting our own time until we were forced to go long anyway. It was a fucking embarrassment to watch.

The players were so intent on passing through the man marking system with clever, fluid movement (and failing) we lost sight of what was needed. There was a clear energy issue, but if we had gone 424 and gone direct to Nunez and Gakpo with Salah and Jota loitering for the second ball then I suspect it would have been more effective. We didn't mix it up enough in possession. There was no plan b set or implemented, which seems crazy in the circumstances. We could have played for another hour and still been passing it around the back four. It's credit to Atalanta that then bamboozled us, but it was a frustrating seeing the team have zero response.

It wasn't on one player, we were crap all over and have been crap for weeks. It would easier to fix if it was on one player. Midfield has lethargic and poor lately, I would have kept either Bobby Clarke Or McConell in the team rather than brining back Jones. It just looks broken and Macca hasn't been able to get anything as of late. There is no easy fix at the moment.

It wasn't on one player, we were crap all over and have been crap for weeks. It would easier to fix if it was on one player. Midfield has lethargic and poor lately, I would have kept either Bobby Clarke Or McConell in the team rather than brining back Jones. It just looks broken and Macca hasn't been able to get anything as of late. There is no easy fix at the moment.
Macca looks spent, and rightly so. He's carried the midfield this season for the most part. Endo was a good shrewd buy, but I feel it's definitely been a case of adding a body there, rather than a longterm, top class solution. We need a spine again, we need a top centre back, we need a top midfielder and we most certainly need a top class forward leading the line.

Don't mind getting beat but hate going out with a whimper; that was a whimper.
Hardly ever in that game did we look like a team with urgency, with a plan, with some passion. It was a case of "see what happens", I hate that.
We've over-achieved with Klopp, because of him. We've over-achieved in the Prem this season, the results have belied some of the performances.
But we look flat now, the season is going to peter out. I know it was never us who shouted about the quadruple but, even so, that was never going to happen.

The last 4 games have been a whimper.

Macca looks spent, and rightly so. He's carried the midfield this season for the most part. Endo was a good shrewd buy, but I feel it's definitely been a case of adding a body there, rather than a longterm, top class solution. We need a spine again, we need a top centre back, we need a top midfielder and we most certainly need a top class forward leading the line.
It doesn't feel anything huge but yes we do need to buy the players required for the next level, the striker will be the one hardest to buy at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom