• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Barcelona in crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Barcelona in meltdown after Lionel Messi hits back at Eric Abidal
• Sporting director had blamed players for Valverde sacking
• Messi can leave club in summer thanks to contract clause

Sid Lowe

5472.jpg

Barcelona were plunged into crisis on Tuesday night when the captain Lionel Messi publicly called out the sporting director Eric Abidal, challenging him to name names and accusing him of tarnishing the players’ reputation.

The Argentinian furiously reacted to what he saw as Abidal’s attempt to lay the blame for the sacking of Ernesto Valverde with the players, and demanded that the Frenchman take responsibility for his own decisions. His outburst is all the more significant because Messi has a clause in his contract which enables him to unilaterally walk away for free at the end of the season.

Abidal claimed that Barcelona’s players had not been happy with Valverde, who was sacked on 13 January, and that they had not been working hard enough under their former manager. The response from Messi was swift, public and unequivocal.

It will also have lasting consequences, bringing internal division into the open and laying bare the deep dissatisfaction many in the dressing room feel with the club’s board. An atmosphere of tension already surrounded the club, with criticism growing of the current president Josep Maria Bartomeu and the accusations of failure at an institutional as well as a footballing level.

In an interview with the Catalan newspaper Sport on Tuesday, Abidal said that “lots of players were not satisfied [with Valverde] and nor did they work a lot”, adding: “There was also an issue of internal communication. The relationship manager-dressing room has always been good but there are things that, as a former player, I can smell. I told the club what I thought and that [I thought] a decision had to be made.”

2226.jpg

Eric Abidal with his then Barcelona teammate Lionel Messi in 2011. Photograph: Gustau Nacarino/Reuters

Abidal said that he had started to look into replacing Valverde following the clásico on 18 December. He was eventually sacked after a public pursuit of potential replacements, starting with Xavi Hernández and Ronald Koeman and going through a handful of other candidates before, backed into a corner, finally settling on Quique Setién.

Messi reacted by posting a picture of the interview on Instagram, with a red circle around the subhead which read: “the man in charge of the sporting directorate explains that ‘lots of players were not satisfied and nor did they work much.’” Underneath, he denied that the sacking was he players’ responsibility and accused Abidal of “dirtying” the squad.

“Honestly, I don’t like doing these things but I think that everyone has to be responsible for his acts and take responsibility for their own decisions,” Messi wrote. “The players [are responsible for] what happens on the pitch, and we have been the first to recognise when we were not good. The people in the sporting directorate should also assume their responsibility and above all take ownership of the decisions they make.

“Finally, I think that when players are talked about, names should be given because, if not, we are all being dirtied and it feeds comments that are made and are not true.”

Messi’s response can also be seen in the context of Abidal’s claim, in a defiant, challenging tone, that there had been no offer made to Xavi to take over, effectively accusing the former player of lying. “If [Xavi] has the offer, show everyone,” the sporting director said, adding: “He doesn’t have so much experience.”

In the summer, Messi had admitted tat he wanted the club to sign Neymar, which they failed to do. “I don’t know if they did everything they could,” he admitted. Nor did they succeed in bringing in a striker during this transfer window.

Abidal is a former teammate of Messi’s but his position is likely to become untenable now. He was already under threat after the way the search for a manager was handled and following a transfer window in which Barcelona failed so sign a striker and instead sold two forwards, Carlos Pérez and Abel Ruiz to raise funds and make way for a player who never came.

That sense of crisis and collapse was deepened on Tuesday when it was confirmed that Ousmane Dembélé will be out for the rest of the season with a ruptured tendon in his thigh, while Luis Suárez is also not expected to be back to full fitness until the final weeks of the season at best. The spectre of losing Messi, so often the man holding Barcelona together in recent years, is a terrifying one for the club.

Last edited:

For the younger generation to understand

Barca and Madrid can fuck right off.
(this is just my opinion and in no way reflects the opinion of Liverpool fans in general ;) )

He has pocket more than £100m in his career. If he want to come for what we are in to, money should not be a issue. He should give all his future wages to people in need and still be just ok cash wise

Last edited:
Messi on a free? I’d just about take him over Mbappe, maybe. If we can afford both we should get both in.

(If any of you cunts take this seriously you need to give your heads a wobble.)

Lads, lads, relax – Messi is not coming here and isn't leaving Barca at all. They will give him anything he wants, including Abidal's and Bartholomeu's heads on a spike. I just posted this because they are our potential CL rivals, just like Real Madrid in the other thread. Well, and their transfer policy might affect us in some way.

Lads, lads, relax – Messi is not coming here and isn't leaving Barca at all. They will give him anything he wants, including Abidal's and Bartholomeu's heads on a spike. I just posted this because they are our potential CL rivals, just like Real Madrid in the other thread. Well, and their transfer policy might affect us in some way.

Hes still incredible but hes also 33 this summer. How much longer will they be willing to pay him £500k a week? I doubt he will be offered another contract on anything like those wages so perhaps hes better off moving for a free transfer and getting one last mega pay deal.

You can't cause all this fuss then just take it away like that.

...any idea what squad number we're giving him?

A question is when Barca should look to sell Messi and move on, like Real with Ronaldo.

They cannot sell him; he has a release clause allowing to join any club for free at the end of the season if he wishes. In other words, he has all the leverage.

Just make Messi player/manager. Done.

I'm always quite interested when great footballers become managers, and there's always that debate about whether they really often do make great managers; there's plenty of evidence of failures and successes obviously, but Messi?!

Imagine him being given a list of transfer options, every single one being a much worse player than him.

Gerrard doing better than I thought in similar circs

Yeah, there's enough who have done OK, I suppose - Lampard and Gerrard so far, Guardiola, Cruyff, Kenny, Zidane, Heynkes, Del Bosque, Ancelotti....

Actually, that's quite a few. Hmm.

Gerrard doing better than I thought in similar circs
Barcelona and Rangers are in a very different end of the spectrum. I won't compare the two.

I don't know if Messi can be successful or not, but with his playing ability, tactical nouse and vision when playing, he could do well. With the right assistant to help him in the defensive side of the game, he could be successful.

Yeah, there's enough who have done OK, I suppose - Lampard and Gerrard so far, Guardiola, Cruyff, Kenny, Zidane, Heynkes, Del Bosque, Ancelotti....

Actually, that's quite a few. Hmm.
Most of those managers showed very high level of intelligence on the pitch when they played I think (more so than the pure reactive geniuses). I don’t know where Messi fits in when it comes to that. Obviously he reads the game ridiculously well, but is it because he’s studied the game or does it all come too natural to him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom