• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Benteke - BOOOOOO the puns

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth mate - I was basically trying to make the point that that should be the ambition of the club, but I'm not sure we've been trying to do that since we signed him.
OK...but here's the thing. Who is most likely to score 20 goals in the PL next season...Sturridge who will do well to play 20 games? An unnamed, not yet found striker who may or may not turn out to be the new Suarez? Or Benteke who has a fantastic scoring record in a very poor Aston Villa side?

OK...but here's the thing. Who is most likely to score 20 goals in the PL next season...Sturridge who will do well to play 20 games? An unnamed, not yet found striker who may or may not turn out to be the new Suarez? Or Benteke who has a fantastic scoring record in a very poor Aston Villa side?

None of them so far. At least you know Sturridge has actually scored 20 goals. So Villa is a very poor side, eh?

None of them so far. At least you know Sturridge has actually scored 20 goals. So Villa is a very poor side, eh?
In a rare season of full fitness...which we already know he won't have next time. And yes, Villa are poor. Their league position is the give away.

Isn't Benteke a younger, Belgian version of Lambert? Big lumbering no.9 with a great physical presence, great shot, can hold up the ball, can head the ball. Not sure if we don't play Lambert who seems largely the same sort of player, as to why we'd go and spend a massive chunk of our transfer budget on the same player?

Yeah it's just as well Liverpool fans are the most knowledgeable and can see through the talents or otherwise of potential signings. The club is safe if the management take note.

I love the he doesn't fit our style of play argument.

We don't have a style of play

Our style by the numbers is 3-4-3-4-4-2-4-3-3-3-5-2 ad infinitum, depending on the circumstances/period of the match/current injury status/protecting a lead/chasing a goal/spring/summer/autumn/winter/level of deparation/level of smugness/landmark appearence for an individual player/manager's personal relationship status etc etc

Presumably we won't assure him about this...

Christian Benteke will seek assurances that he will be first-choice striker at his next club if he leaves Aston Villa this summer.

The Belgium striker, who is rated at £30million, will be a hot property during the transfer window with Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United all interested.

Benteke is open to leaving Villa Park, but wants guarantees that he will play regular first-team football at his next destination.

The 24-year-old missed out on last year's World Cup in Brazil due to a serious achilles injury.

And the centre-forward is desperate not to miss out on another major tournament next summer with Euro 2016 on the horizon.

Therefore, playing regularly will be the key factor for Benteke when he decides his future.

Liverpool will almost certainly be able to offer Benteke the mantle of No 1 striker next season, though his role at Chelsea or United may not be so lofty.

Benteke has not ruled out staying at Villa Park for another season if he does not receive the assurances he wants.

The striker has played a key role in keeping Aston Villa in the Premier League and firing Tim Sherwood's men to the FA Cup Final, scoring 13 goals in his 14 games.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...striker-leaves-Aston-VIlla.html#ixzz3bKUrUiQi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Presumably we won't assure him about this...

Christian Benteke will seek assurances that he will be first-choice striker at his next club if he leaves Aston Villa this summer.

The Belgium striker, who is rated at £30million, will be a hot property during the transfer window with Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United all interested.

Benteke is open to leaving Villa Park, but wants guarantees that he will play regular first-team football at his next destination.

The 24-year-old missed out on last year's World Cup in Brazil due to a serious achilles injury.

And the centre-forward is desperate not to miss out on another major tournament next summer with Euro 2016 on the horizon.

Therefore, playing regularly will be the key factor for Benteke when he decides his future.

Liverpool will almost certainly be able to offer Benteke the mantle of No 1 striker next season, though his role at Chelsea or United may not be so lofty.

Benteke has not ruled out staying at Villa Park for another season if he does not receive the assurances he wants.

The striker has played a key role in keeping Aston Villa in the Premier League and firing Tim Sherwood's men to the FA Cup Final, scoring 13 goals in his 14 games.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...striker-leaves-Aston-VIlla.html#ixzz3bKUrUiQi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I said to a mate of mine at the beginning of last season Benteke would be a perfect fit for Chelsea under Mourinho - I thought he was quite similar to Drogba in terms of ability and physicality.

Exactly, that plus him being 100% fit saw him finish the season the way he did.

Although I'm upset he was too good at the end of the season. I suggested signing him after his hatttick. I thought it was a sign he was coming back and I thought he'd be okay but not great for the rest of the season.

I thought he'd still be slightly under the radar signing and then be great next season. He fucked it all up

Hes miles better than Carroll so that comparison is pointless, hes a very good player and if we could get him for anything like 25 million we should be looking to do so. 20 mil plus Lambert would be great business. A front line of Benteke Sturridge Origi and Ings wouldnt exactly be Barcelona Mk II but it would be a fuck ton better than what we have now. Hes a 1 goal in 2 games player in the premier league and hes just entering his prime years now as a centre forward. Yes hes not Torres or Suarez that much is obvious but if we are going to turn down anybody who isnt up that standard they we are gonna be pretty limited in terms of options

Last 3 seasons isnt it only Suarez, RVP and Aguero that have more goals than Benteke?

For 20 mill I'd be tempted.
The comparisons with Benteke - Lambert, Balotelli, Carroll are extremely lazy

Firstly I think it's lazy commentary & bollocks to say Benteke doesn't suit our style .... because if this season has taught us anyhing it's that we don't have one. Forget the Suarez era, ancient history.
He's powerful, doesn't give up possession easily, fast enough (just not a speedster), has a cracking shot, is dominant in the air (something I've been saying all season long that we lack) and has one of the best goal-scoring records in the PL. And he's Belgian.

For 20-25m I think he is plum in the market we are shopping at and I can't see us doing much better without taking a major gamble (and we can ill afford to waste yet another transfer kitty), though of course we could just give BR the cash to throw away or the committee to use in buying yet another one for the future, a 'Markovic's equivalent' striker. Maybe Bacca or the like would be a good gamble ... but do we trust our inept scouting team to deliver the goods ? At least with Benteke we know he can and will score in this league.

[article=http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-will-target-christian-benteke-because-hes-physical-and-hungry-like-didier-drogba-says-ray-wilkins-10279123.html]Ray Wilkins says Chelsea have their sights set on Christian Benteke this summer because he boasts all the attributes of a young Didier Drogba.

The Blues will face a battle with Liverpool, who have already made an enquiry about the towering Villa striker, as they look to recruit in the attacking third during the transfer window following Drogba's departure.

And Wilkins believes Benteke, who scored 12 goals in his last 12 matches under Tim Sherwood this term, is the outstanding candidate to fill the outgoing Ivorian's boots.

The former Chelsea assistant first team coach told talkSPORT: “I think there is no question [Chelsea are interested in him]."

“If you think many years ago when they brought in Drogba for £24 Million from Marseille, Didier was a raw, hungry young man. He was built like an ox, ran like the wind and had two great feet. This young man is 24 years of age and of a very similar physical build to Didier.”[/article]

[article=http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-will-target-christian-benteke-because-hes-physical-and-hungry-like-didier-drogba-says-ray-wilkins-10279123.html]Ray Wilkins says Chelsea have their sights set on Christian Benteke this summer because he boasts all the attributes of a young Didier Drogba.

The Blues will face a battle with Liverpool, who have already made an enquiry about the towering Villa striker, as they look to recruit in the attacking third during the transfer window following Drogba's departure.

And Wilkins believes Benteke, who scored 12 goals in his last 12 matches under Tim Sherwood this term, is the outstanding candidate to fill the outgoing Ivorian's boots.

The former Chelsea assistant first team coach told talkSPORT: “I think there is no question [Chelsea are interested in him]."

“If you think many years ago when they brought in Drogba for £24 Million from Marseille, Didier was a raw, hungry young man. He was built like an ox, ran like the wind and had two great feet. This young man is 24 years of age and of a very similar physical build to Didier.”[/article]

TL;DR - they're both black.

How do people envisage us setting up with Benteke and Sturridge, then? As a front two, or part of a three with Sturridge starting wide? If it's a 2 then a traditional 442 or a diamond?

Back
Top Bottom