• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Benteke - BOOOOOO the puns

I don't know whether Benteke will be good for us or not.
But what I do know from this link is that our scouting department is 100% shite.

Tony Barrett made the point the other day that it's fucking weird and slightly worrying that our main striking target last year was Alexis Sanchez and now this summer its Christian Benteke - who are completely different in terms of attributes. Benteke is a good player and his goalscoring rate for Villa is impressive but like Dmishra says, he would seem to jar with the attacking midfielders we have. I suspect this signing will not go well.

It's not weird - it's an example of people looking at a players record at one club and making the jump to, he'll replicate that at our club.

The problem is - it's fucking stupid - and its "the" reason transfers fail.

Occasionally you'll come across a player that will excel in whatever system he's dropped in to or whomever he is surrounded by - now that might be argued is world class.

We're not set up to exploit Benteke's skills - and he is talented.

What.... are we just going to casually change the way we play depending on whether Sturridge or Benteke are up front?

Maybe we can flip tactics mid game - of course Rodgers gets criticised for doing that sort of thing.

I'm with Dimishra & Peter on this - Benteke is a good player, but he's not the one for us.

It's not weird - it's an example of people looking at a players record at one club and making the jump to, he'll replicate that at our club.

The problem is - it's fucking stupid - and its "the" reason transfers fail.

Occasionally you'll come across a player that will excel in whatever system he's dropped in to or whomever he is surrounded by - now that might be argued is world class.

We're not set up to exploit Benteke's skills - and he is talented.

What.... are we just going to casually change the way we play depending on whether Sturridge or Benteke are up front?

Maybe we can flip tactics mid game - of course Rodgers gets criticised for doing that sort of thing.

I'm with Dimishra & Peter on this - Benteke is a good player, but he's not the one for us.

Given that rationale Danny Ings is perfect for us, suits our style and will be value for money.

We are trapping ourselves into buying to fit styles when it's far from certain what that style is. Difficult to pick out players for an ambiguous style.

None of the top four do this, they utilize a players skills and adapt accordingly, especially the Manchester clubs.

Given that rationale Danny Ings is perfect for us, suits our style and will be value for money.

We are trapping ourselves into buying to fit styles when it's far from certain what that style is. Difficult to pick out players for an ambiguous style.

None of the top four do this, they utilize a players skills and adapt accordingly, especially the Manchester clubs.

I'd say the players that suit us are the players who suit our best players. That's the practical way of moving forward. Presuming Sterling goes, that leaves Sturridge, Coutinho, Can, and Sakho who IMO are clear first choice players. So in attack we simply have to go for players who fit in well with Sturridge and Coutinho. I think it's hard to make a case for Benteke being suitable.

We are trapping ourselves into buying to fit styles when it's far from certain what that style is.

I don't agree with you here - I think we need to be buying players that our current playing resources can make the best use of, not buying players that look good in other teams - because we can't afford £25m bench warmers.

Balotelli's record for AC Milan was exceptional - better than 1 in 2 - I suspect the transfer committee "analyst" probably championed him as a great signing.

Tony Barrett made the point the other day that it's fucking weird and slightly worrying that our main striking target last year was Alexis Sanchez and now this summer its Christian Benteke - who are completely different in terms of attributes.

Just think, if we'd have got Sanchez (and Arsenal hadn't) we'd likely have made 4th this year.

Just think, if we'd have got Sanchez (and Arsenal hadn't) we'd likely have made 4th this year.

I do think this, but that doesn't justify our second options after Sanchez being Lambert and Ballotelli. They are nothing alike in styles or calibre and appeared the work of chaotic planning at best. Sanchez choosing London over Liverpool can't be held up as any excuse.

If we do, I'll give up with this board and manager when it comes to transfers. Fucking hell.

Guess now we do that thing were we try to get him for less than the release clause and drag this out all summer and probably end up paying more in desperation.

And when you think about it in retrospect, all these could have been avoided if we just got Remy for, what, 15Mil was it (?) last year.

We could've even finished 4th too.

Bunch of muppets this club is being run by.

I do think this, but that doesn't justify our second options after Sanchez being Lambert and Ballotelli. They are nothing alike in styles or calibre and appeared the work of chaotic planning at best. Sanchez choosing London over Liverpool can't be held up as any excuse.

I don't think Lambert was an option after Sanchez; he was picked up pretty early at the start of the transfer window. I think Lambert was Aspas' replacement and Suarez's replacement was Sanchez > Remy > panic. :D

Some good points in this thread. I think most are of the opinion that he's a good player but the price and suitability are big issues. I really hope he's not our big signing. His record isn't that amazing, he's a purple patch player and his injury record is a bit hazy too. For the price it's another relatively high risk, expensive punt.

I like benteke but he's a good time example of why buy out clauses are bollocks.

32m?

It turns the transfer market into the the sellers market

His injury record isnt a point even wort discussing imho.

Games missed
13/14 Achilles Tendon Rupture Apr 3, 2014 Sep 15, 2014 165 days 12Aston Villa
13/14 Knee Problems Dec 16, 2013 Dec 29, 2013 13 days 3Aston Villa
13/14 Knee Problems Nov 17, 2013 Nov 24, 2013 7 days -
13/14 Groin Injury Sep 21, 2013. 5 games

So thats 8 games he's missed if you look past his Achilles injury in those 3 years.

Wheter he fits in or worth anything over 20 mill is another matter.

I'm still expecting Chelsea to come in and take him late on while we continue our policy of trumpeting from the rooftops every single player we're interested in. He's perfect for Chelsea, obvious replacement for Drogba and Costa has injury problems.

All the usual suspects were giving us the benefit of their valuation prowess last year when we were strongly linked with Bony for £19m who apparently wasn't good enough for us at that money and then he is sold to Man City for £30m 6 months later.

His injury record isnt a point even wort discussing imho.

Games missed
13/14 Achilles Tendon Rupture Apr 3, 2014 Sep 15, 2014 165 days 12Aston Villa
13/14 Knee Problems Dec 16, 2013 Dec 29, 2013 13 days 3Aston Villa
13/14 Knee Problems Nov 17, 2013 Nov 24, 2013 7 days -
13/14 Groin Injury Sep 21, 2013. 5 games

So thats 8 games he's missed if you look past his Achilles injury in those 3 years.

Wheter he fits in or worth anything over 20 mill is another matter.

Why would you look past the Achilles injury?

165 days. There are alot of issues you can get with an Achilles injury, notably the chance of it reoccurring, a BIG possibility that the tendon may shrink, which in turn effects movement and can lead to further niggles. It's a recoverable injury but at that kind of money, I'd have my concerns.

Why would you look past the Achilles injury?

Because its one big injury. The only one he's had. That can happen to any player.
If he had loads of minor injuries or more than one major injury I'd be concerned. Not with his record.

As for the Achilles injury. He's played every game since coming back in September. Looks back to his best.

Because its one big injury. The only one he's had. That can happen to any player.
If he had loads of minor injuries or more than one major injury I'd be concerned. Not with his record.

As for the Achilles injury. He's played every game since coming back in September. Looks back to his best.

That doesn't add up, he had a serious injury, it would be silly to dismiss it. Further more it was a ruptured tendon, which will without doubt be weaker now than it was before the injury, so it's a huge concern.

Back
Top Bottom