• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bony is boss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not good enough. Depressing if we buy him. Can't we spend a chunk of money on someone who is proven at the very top level, who has competed regularly int he CL and will improve us? I really want to buy a player that shows we have serious intent to reclaim our top dog status. It's laudable that we are always buying young hungry and talented players, but we need a 'fuck you' signing.

Those players cost 45m plus, we ain't going there.

People don't fancy Bony cos he's not fuckin Chilean and doesn't have a nifty step over.

The fucker scored 25 goals last season. 25 goals. In a makeshift side. What else would you have liked him to do?

I'm all for anyone who can score 25 goals.

Just to be clear here

He scored 16 goals in 34 games. (League). That's almost one very two games.
4 goals in 3 domestic cups
5 goals in 11 Europa games. Almost one in two again

And 2 goals in 3 World Cup games.

You'd have to say he looks like a good shout.

Once you get over the Swansea thing.

Fair enough. Pretty hard to see who we can sign and its not a good feeling atm.
Hopefully we have some positive news coming our way.

i thought it was sanchez or bust from the start. can't see us getting anyone who i won't be a bit ambivalent about now.

He's a good goalscorer and a talented player. I wonder if Markovic is in some ways the replacement for Suarez, in terms of being the (potential) top quality creative source for the attack - the player who will make things happen out the blue and the focal point of our attack, as much as our system actually has one.

So in that sense, the actual priority then is to minimise the loss of goals, rather than necessarily the loss of the player himself. We have more creative options in Lallana and Markovic, with the latter being our next possible top quality player, so the issue now is addressing the goal count, which someone like Bony might temporarily at least, remedy. Sometimes the players just aren't there and you have to just maximise your output from the resources available. I'd love us to unearth a gem like, but it looks increasingly unlikely.

FWIW I think Bony would be a very good signing. 19 mill for 25 goals a season is a good deal.
25 years old and has just gotten better as the season went on last year.
Has a bit of everything. Decent pace, creatvity, strong as hell, very good in the air and a natural goalscorer.
Will fit very nicely in a 4-3-3 imho.

Lambert, Sturridge and Bony would probably be enough imho, when you've got Steling and maybe even Markovic who can slot in if we're playing with two upfront.

If we add another 15 goals to the team that would be enough with Suarez gone. Id' rather spend top dollar on great defensive signings and shape up the goals conceded.

Maybe another top quality attacking player aswell. I'd love us to sign Di Maria.

He's a good goalscorer and a talented player. I wonder if Markovic is in some ways the replacement for Suarez, in terms of being the (potential) top quality creative source for the attack - the player who will make things happen out the blue and the focal point of our attack, as much as our system actually has one.

So in that sense, the actual priority then is to minimise the loss of goals, rather than necessarily the loss of the player himself. We have more creative options in Lallana and Markovic, with the latter being our next possible top quality player, so the issue now is addressing the goal count, which someone like Bony might temporarily at least, remedy. Sometimes the players just aren't there and you have to just maximise your output from the resources available. I'd love us to unearth a gem like, but it looks increasingly unlikely.

He played five more league games, and scored five goals less than sturridge - for comparison sakes.

Sturridge = 33 games and 24 goals.
Bony = 34 games and 25 goals..

Bony was second fiddle to michu and on the bench a lot. Played in a lesser team, with less quality supply it could be argued. I'd love a high flying signing as well, but apart from him playing for Swansea, what is wrong with this signing? Is the objections, just about the fact he's a plodder?

But he's too similar in style to what we already have.

You mean 32-year-old Lambert? I can't imagine who else we have is similar to Bony. He is definitely a CF, but I think he would be quite useful and has good movement even if he does not play across the entire front line.

He played five more games, and scored five goals less than sturridge - for comparison sakes.

I'm not sold, in terms of whether he has longevity, but as far as replacing the goals goes, he'd at least be decent for a couple of seasons until we can invest again or until someone younger is ready.

Like I said, I think people are too concentrated on us replacing Suarez with a similar forward, which we all know is pretty impossible, when the alternative is to bring in another guaranteed goal getter AND a creative source, which in some ways compensates us.

The issue is how long or short term we want to be about this.

Possibly, but when spending £20million, I'd like that player to be an improvement on what we have or full of potential, I don't think Bony is either.

Mate .. we don't even have a 3rd striker so that is a definite improvement !

I don't know why we would have bought Lambert if we were going to buy Bony. Bony is the better of the two, but it just seems like bad planning to get the two of them. We do need another striker, but I think I'd look elsewhere, even if Bony is boss.

I'm not sold, in terms of whether he has longevity, but as far as replacing the goals goes, he'd at least be decent for a couple of seasons until we can invest again or until someone younger is ready.

Like I said, I think people are too concentrated on us replacing Suarez with a similar forward, which we all know is pretty impossible, when the alternative is to bring in another guaranteed goal getter AND a creative source, which in some ways compensates us.

The issue is how long or short term we want to be about this.

Well said amigo, as you say, if lazar provides suarez assists, and bony provides 70% of his goals! them it might work. Will the League let us play with 12 players next year?

Drogba cost 24m 10 years ago from a French club and did not have as good a scoring record as Bony. He was older as well.

I don't know why we would have bought Lambert if we were going to buy Bony. Bony is the better of the two, but it just seems like bad planning to get the two of them. We do need another striker, but I think I'd look elsewhere, even if Bony is boss.

Ricky came in as it was a romance move. BR'll fix it..

Seriously, what's wring with having similar talents, when we will have so many more games next year...

This is what has me questioning whether there's any truth in it, because we've brought in a centre forward type player and we have Sturridge. Bony seems in many ways a hybrid of the two, whereas you might then expect us to go for a roaming, creative forward.

Like I said though, maybe we're just trying to compensate for that in other areas (Markovic) and we're more concentrated on always having a guaranteed goalscorer available.

Ricky came in as it was a romance move. BR'll fix it..

Seriously, what's wring with having similar talents, when we will have so many more games next year...

Nothing, per say in general, we should have players with similar talents. It's more that that type of striker is not really the type I've seen us playing with very much, now all of a sudden we may have two of them. I was expecting to see more signings like Markovic to be honest. I can't complain about Bony, it just seems a little odd.

Drogba cost 24m 10 years ago from a French club and did not have as good a scoring record as Bony. He was older as well.

Let me help your case with a more recent example. Dzeko! This is each of his 3 full seasons in the Premier League. He cost City £27m when he arrived in January of the 2010/11 season.

LEAGUE | FACUP | LGCUP | EUROP | TOTAL
30 14 | 0 0 | 4 3 | 8 1 | 42 19
32 14 | 5 0 | 1 0 | 6 1 | 44 15
31 16 | 5 2 | 5 6 | 7 2 | 46 26

He's in the last year of his contract though, so that may knock down his price a bit. He'll have to be on pretty massive wages though, so that might even it up.

So in that sense, the actual priority then is to minimise the loss of goals, rather than necessarily the loss of the player himself.

I've said it before on here. We need to reduce the number of goals conceded by around 10-12 from last season (50 to 38/40 which was the average for a Top 4 side) and Lovren/New LB/Enrique/Can we hope should be able to do that.
We would then only need an extra 18-20 goals to cover the difference to Suarez's contribution and thereby maintain the same GD. Those goals can be spread amongst more goalscorers than last season (e.g comparing Suarez/Sturridge/Allen/Henderson/Sterling last season to Sterling/Henderson/Markovic/Sturridge/Lallana/Bony/Lambert next season) whilst at the same time we should have dramatically increased the creativity throughout the team compared to what we had last season. Hopefully this means making it easier to break down teams that park the bus.

I think it'd be foolish to think we'll be more creative, I think we might spread our play more evenly and cope with injuries and fatigue better, but Suarez leaves a gaping hole that we're going to be patching up in every sense. It's probably the most feasible way of doing it though, short of finding a top quality talent that we're a) not over paying for and b) is worth the risk of the outlay.

This is what has me questioning whether there's any truth in it, because we've brought in a centre forward type player and we have Sturridge. Bony seems in many ways a hybrid of the two, whereas you might then expect us to go for a roaming, creative forward..

It makes perfect sense to me to have two strikers of similar ilk. Otherwise every time your striker is injured/off form/rested you are changing the system to accommodate the new striker. We already have that in Lambert if we want to change the style somewhat.

If we take City as an example they have two very mobile strikers (Aguero & Jovetic) and two powerful but more static strikers (Negredo & Dzeko). They can choose to remain with the same formation or change things around.

I think it'd be foolish to think we'll be more creative, I think we might spread our play more evenly and cope with injuries and fatigue better, but Suarez leaves a gaping hole that we're going to be patching up in every sense.

I don't see it that way. Suarez may be wonderfully creative when in possession and he certainly makes enough chances for others too. However behind him Allen and Henderson are far from the most creative players on the pitch and Gerrard is too far back when playing against a packed defence, whereas Lallana & Markovic are exactly that and when added to Sterling & Coutinho that is an extremely creative quartet that gives us options to start and great options late in the game if we need to sub one off or try something slightly different.

I don't expect to Henderson / Allen utilised as far forward next season. They can be more defensive and combative in midfield so strengthening that area and leave the creativity / attack to those listed above.

....I know, but the difference between Suarez/Sturridge and Bony/Sturridge is that Suarez compliments just about everyone he plays alongside, Bony and Sturridge might be a case of too much of the same, and while on paper it sounds great having one or the other always available, to chop and change, in reality we know that some degree of continuity is important.

I'd buy him because he will get goals, but the bigger picture and question is whether or not we become the sum of our parts, or whether we're essentially just extending what we already have to the CL while not really compensating greatly for the loss of Suarez in the league, or overall..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom