• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Brendan Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not particularly impressed with any of the players we signed this summer. I have patience with the young ones though

We got humped by Madrid because in only Rodgers' second season we closed a gap that should have taken at least three to close. We're paying a heavy price now for the giant and evidently unsustainable leap forward we took last season. So if you want to blame Rodgers for our current predicament, you really have to start with the progress we've made. The guy has turned us around in no time before, I think he deserves the opportunity to try to do so again.

We got humped by Madrid because in only Rodgers' second season we closed a gap that should have taken at least three to close. We're paying a heavy price now for the giant and evidently unsustainable leap forward we took last season. So if you want to blame Rodgers for our current predicament, you really have to start with the progress we've made. The guy has turned us around in no time before, I think he deserves the opportunity to try to do so again.

Yup ... It's tough to be patient though eh? We had such a magical run last year, and with that higher expectations ... I think he's done a wonderful job overall, and I am going to stand by him even though I have my doubts (Goalie, defense) ... I still like what he's trying to assemble, even if it's just not coming off right now.

Agree with his conclusion. We played reasonably well, but were punished by a team on another level of sharpness and confidence. We can get closer to that level; the biggest worry right now is conceding stupid goals from set pieces.

Our first run of poor form for a season and a half and already the reason is Rodgers? You can hear the whetstones being prepped for knife sharpening already. We don't 'need to talk about Rodgers', we need to be understanding of the fact that he has lost his best player, he has lost his second best player through injury, and he is only just getting his midfield engine back from injury. He's also trying to bed in several new players at once. At one time, a back four that had never played together. None of them. Rodgers hasn't gone from being one of the best young managers in the game over the last 18 months to somebody to be poked at by people on the internet. Does he do what every manager does and makes mistakes of judgement? Yes, of course. Does that warrant the 'was it just Suarez' talk? Not in my view. Rodgers knows what he's doing. He knew it last season and he knows it this season.

This has to go down as one of the best first post ever!!!, Welcome to the site..

That being said.. im not overly impressed with his signings so far..

Only really Lallana has has caught my eye.. But like you say these things take time

I'm not really sure who this is aimed at, but as one of his biggest critics on here, the timing seems odd, given he just put in a good performance at the weekend and rightfully got the plaudits for it. He's also in most peoples teams for this evening. He's in mine, he was my top three against QPR, because he deserved it thoroughly. When he plays well he gets the credit, but he'd been poor for a good 18 months and has been pretty inconsistent and capable of regular lapses and mistakes throughout his career, it's not a myth, it's not bias, it's something he's now fairly renowned for with the fans and the press - for never quite hitting the heights and consistency he had the potential to reach.

He's always been a good player, he's had questionable moments as a defender and inconsistencies as the great attacking fullback he's professed to be. Look at the stats, look at our record with him in our defense, look at his assists and goals scored over the last few years, he always falls somewhere in the middle ground. Not tight enough defensively, not decisive enough as an attacker, but he gives us good balance because he carries the play and he is a very good technician. I think that's fair, he's not as good as he could have been.

As for him being our best fullback, well he hasn't had competition for a long long time. His competition has been a perma crock in Kelly (who's now gone), Flanagan (who's young and now injured), Enrique (who's been out for ages and more or less held his own at left back for a couple of years), and now two kids who look like they *could* be our future. So at, what(?), 30 years of age, a full fledged international who's played for two top European sides, I'd be worried if he wasn't our best fullback, but it's not really much of a reflection on him, as much as a signal of our, until recently, lack of real competition.

Hopefully now we have depth he can used a bit more selectively and we'll get the best of him, but don't try to rewrite history, it's not the murmurings of few disgruntled dullards "who don't get it", I'm not sure what the Rodgers point is worth either when it comes to his decision in picking him, given we've probably got the worst defense we've had since 1998.

I honestly have no idea what the start of your post means. Maybe I've mis read the opening post but, for me, when an opening post to a thread uses Johnson being picked as a reason to be critical of Rodgers, a response to that post may well include a reference to this point.

As for the reference to a manager picking him perhaps not being a good reference - that's the whole point. Every poster has an opinion - the ones who are so self-obsessed that they can't conceive of the reality where their opinion is not fact are just absurd. Johnson has been the subject of criticism for posters repeatedly over the last 5 years yet four successive managers agreed he should be in the starting team consistently. I know plenty of posters, like Fabio, think these are the flaws which prove their own genius but the reality is somewhat starkly different.

Focusing on Johnson's continued presence in the team as a problem with Rodgers is like thinking that Mario was one of the major problems against Madrid.
Johnson makes mistakes for sure but he's not the reason our defense is an ongoing issue. The consistent factor in that leaky defense is the keeper and, while I'm highly impressed with his shot-stopping ability, he's a liability when the ball comes into the area more than six inches off the ground.

Still, posters will continue on with their dream like status where they've got the answers and everyone else needs to fall into line. I just can't be bothered letting their hot air filled ego's continue to float by without giving it a puncture which they, undoubtedly, will never comprehend.

I honestly have no idea what the start of your post means. Maybe I've mis read the opening post but, for me, when an opening post to a thread uses Johnson being picked as a reason to be critical of Rodgers, a response to that post may well include a reference to this point.

As for the reference to a manager picking him perhaps not being a good reference - that's the whole point. Every poster has an opinion - the ones who are so self-obsessed that they can't conceive of the reality where their opinion is not fact are just absurd. Johnson has been the subject of criticism for posters repeatedly over the last 5 years yet four successive managers agreed he should be in the starting team consistently. I know plenty of posters, like Fabio, think these are the flaws which prove their own genius but the reality is somewhat starkly different.

Focusing on Johnson's continued presence in the team as a problem with Rodgers is like thinking that Mario was one of the major problems against Madrid.
Johnson makes mistakes for sure but he's not the reason our defense is an ongoing issue. The consistent factor in that leaky defense is the keeper and, while I'm highly impressed with his shot-stopping ability, he's a liability when the ball comes into the area more than six inches off the ground.

Still, posters will continue on with their dream like status where they've got the answers and everyone else needs to fall into line. I just can't be bothered letting their hot air filled ego's continue to float by without giving it a puncture which they, undoubtedly, will never comprehend.

I'd agree with alot of that, but I do think Mario was a big issue last night, the difference between him and Lallana was night and day, Mario stood there for the third goal, with a yard of space to constrict, which would have prevented the ball being played in, instead he stood off, the ball was played and the rest was history.

I agree that the crux of our defensive woes isn't Mario, or solely Johnson, but I do think he's symtomatic of our downturn in quality since the days of Arbeloa, etc, we started conceding alot more heavily when one left and the other arrived and I don't think we've had a cohesive, tight defense since. Perhaps you could say that's part and parcel of opening up as an attacking team, perhaps that's why Madrid were more effective than us last night, because they attacked in numbers but put 7-8 men behind the ball as soon as they lost it, with the likes of Arbeloa tucking in and compacting the space.

Like you say though, picking at Johnson right now is ignoring the bigger problems, just don't let it gloss over the fact that by and large, he hasn't been that great or consistent and that's where the genuine, warranted criticism stems from.

Once you've made an opinion on a player, do you stick to it? Regardless of any subsequent evidence that maybe to the contrary?

Well yeah, cf his continual insistance on picking a pet hate for someone who plays in a position that's in direct competition with one of his favourites. It's pathetic. He used to lay into Skrtel constantly when he replaced Agger in the side, now it's Sakho/Lovren, then it's Lallana who's apparently threatening Coutinho, etc. He's a fucking joke mate.

Isn't Sterling competing with Coutinho as well? Should be making him my pet hate as well then.

Its not so much of a mixed bag anymore is it?
More a bag of shit now.

Joe Allen Swansea City £15,000,000 10 August 2012
Oussama Assaidi Heerenveen £3,000,000 17 August 2012
Samed Yesil Bayer Leverkusen £1,000,000 30 August 2012
Daniel Sturridge Chelsea £12,000,000 2 January 2013
Philippe Coutinho Inter Milan £8,500,000 30 January 2013
João Carlos Teixeira Sporting Lisbon £830,000 31 January 2013
Kolo Touré Free Transfer Free 2 July 2013
Tiago Ilori Sporting Lisbon £7,000,000 2 September 2013
Adam Lallana Southampton £25,000,000 * 1 July 2014
Emre Can Bayer Leverkusen £9,750,000 3 July 2014
Lazar Markovic Benfica £19,800,000 15 July 2014
Dejan Lovren Southampton £20,000,000 * 27 July 2014
Divick Origi Lille £9,800,000 * 29 July 2014
Javier Manquillo Atletico Madrid On Loan 6 August 2014
Alberto Moreno Sevilla £12,000,000 * 16 August 2014

Out of the ones quoted, I'd say all of the above are either a success of the jury is still out, so it's not really a case of us being able to comment (people like Yesil, Teixeia, Ilori - and of course, the new signings).

Şahin, Moses and Cissokho were loans, Toure was a free and did a job earlier last season. Lallana looks a player, Assaidi has looked good for other clubs and will be a sell on asset, Can and Markovic are two touted young European talents (personally I like Can, not impressed with Markovic yet).

Origi is a huge prospect, Moreno and Manquillo have been pretty good so far, and we know all about Coutinho and Sturridge. I think it's early days with Lovren (Sakho too arguably, as the defense has looked disorganised, it's difficult to see if it's the players or system). .

Mario, Borini, Mignolet, Lambert and the three loan signings look woefully short, you can add Aspas to that and maybe Alberto too, so he's made mistakes, not many managers haven't (Keane, Aquilani, Dossena, Degan, Nunez, Josemi, Pellegrino, Morientes, Zenden, Carson, N'Gog, Jovanovic, etc).

Why's it always Rafa's bad signings that get cited and never Houllier's or Kenny's? Even now there seems to be a weird bitterness towards him.

What evidence?
Still doesn't look like a £25 million player to me.

I think you've got a history of this. Across more than one forum.

Anyway, what does a £25m player look like? If you like Lallana as a player, the transfer fee is irrelevant, surely.

Lallana's a good player. He brings something to the team. Whether he was £15m or £25m is neither here nor there. Better players have gone for less. Lesser players have gone for more. There is no such thing as a 'x' million pound player. It's not an exact science.

I think you've got a history of this. Across more than one forum.

Anyway, what does a £25m player look like? If you like Lallana as a player, the transfer fee is irrelevant, surely.

Lallana's a good player. He brings something to the team. Whether he was £15m or £25m is neither here nor there. Better players have gone for less. Lesser players have gone for more. There is no such thing as a 'x' million pound player. It's not an exact science.

What if he'd cost £80m? Would the fee still be irrelevant then?

Why's it always Rafa's bad signings that get cited and never Houllier's or Kenny's? Even now there seems to be a weird bitterness towards him.

I wasn't being bitter, but seeing as the two main posters involved spent last night glowing about Rafa, I thought it was the most apt example. They all make mistakes, Fergie, everyone. It's nothing exclusive, some do it more and less than others, but they all do it.

*shrugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom