• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Carlos Bacca

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Bacca had another successful year or 2 under his belt, I'd probably be ok with the signing.. But off the back of last season, it just seems foolish.

He's the right profile I think (workhorse, decent finisher) for when Sturridge isn't fit/off form... But... Just seems the wrong fit

I can't see a better fit really. We need older players in this team as well.
As I say, he's the right profile, but I have MASSIVE misgivings over him, just because of his limited time at top flight

Tevez would have been ideal, but was always a pipe dream.

Just because he's the best available now, doesn't mean he's worth it

Don't give a fuck about the 21m. There's no point in having all these ace tricky attacking mids if we haven't got anyone who knows where the net is.

We're all fart and no finger.

So you get drawn in by some caricature of him in a media report, fine. (I think it's ill advised at best)

And here's why - how many strikers can you name who joined the Premier League for the first time aged 28 or older who turned out to be very good?

Klinsmann, Zola, Ravanelli.

But your point is well taken. I dont think Bacca is in Klinsmann and Zola's league in terms of footballing ability. Also couple of notable failures in recent times - Shevchenko and Morientes. Eto'o stats for Chelsea was decent.

I would be vary about signing Bacca as well. One thing in his favor is that he started his professional career very late 21-22 and hopefully he wont have as much wear and tear as other 29 year old strikers.

We need some experience, goals and fitness. Bacca is suitable and better than we have apart from Sturridge.

Klinsmann, Zola, Ravanelli.

But your point is well taken. I dont think Bacca is in Klinsmann and Zola's league in terms of footballing ability. Also couple of notable failures in recent times - Shevchenko and Morientes. Eto'o stats for Chelsea was decent.

I would be vary about signing Bacca as well. One thing in his favor is that he started his professional career very late 21-22 and hopefully he wont have as much wear and tear as other 29 year old strikers.

Here's a few more recent examples:
Shevchenko
Falcao
Soldado
Negredo
Etoo
Osvaldo
Alves
Guivarch
Pogrebnyak
Zigic
Klasnic

The best one I can find in recent years is Pelle - who'll probably be shite next season every since his form seemed to be a short scoring spree.

It seems like it's a real long shot. The kind of signing we always talk ourselves into

Ross is right, but I think we have to stop looking longterm at EVERY signing, I mean look at how many years we get out of the top players we do sign. What is it? 4 years tops?

I think he's saying Bacca won't probably even be a success in the short term. And I'm inclined to have the same reservation.

Jackson Martinez on the other hand, I could get on board with. His record is really really good.

I think he's saying Bacca won't probably even be a success in the short term. And I'm inclined to have the same reservation.

Yeah I agree, but I don't think you can take the same stance with every signing. Signing the right player, as with every signing, is the key, regardless of age, longevity, etc. There's alot more going against Bacca, notably that he hasn't kicked a ball over here and it's a bit late in the day to be learning how to tough it out in a different weather and footballing climate, but there have been other players of a similar age who would have been worth spending the money on. Look at players like Sherringham for instance, or even to some degree, Van Persie. Fuck that he's finished now, he got them the title.

Really? Thought he was older. Anyhooter, This chap looks about a million times better than planet head, Pannini and that other useless cunt. If he's keen to join age is redundant as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom