• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Possible Left Back Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhorizon2

Very Active
The Premier League choice - Ryan Bertrand (Southampton)

Bertrand, 27, was a target for Liverpool when Brendan Rodgers was in charge back in 2014, but Liverpool moved for Alberto Moreno instead.
Chelsea are also reported to have sounded out the England international, who has provided consistency down the left for the Saints for a number of season.
Bertrand has made 28 appearances, scoring four goals. And the path from St Mary's to Anfield is pretty well trodden...

The Championship choice - Andrew Robertson (Hull City)

Having recently been relegated with Hull City, he will be available this summer, and would surely relish the opportunity to work under Jurgen Klopp. Signing from Dundee United three years ago, Robertson has just 12 months remaining on his current Tigers deal, and was one of Hull's more consistent performers.
The SPL choice - Kieran Tierney (Celtic)

Celtic’s hugely-talented 19-year-old has been linked with a move to both Arsenal and Chelsea and was very impressive in the SPL throughout last season.
Tierney doesn’t have a fancy hairstyle, his arms aren’t covered in tattoos, he wears plain black boots, plays with his shirt tucked in and barely misses a minute on the pitch. There’s a refreshing blend of old-fashioned attitude and modern attacking style, which would benefit the Reds.
The Bundesliga choice - Jonas Hector (FC Koln)

The 26-year-old Germany international was heavily linked with Reds in 2016 after a number of impressive displays for Cologne. Having also been a standout performer at Euro 2016, he offers great balance down the left-side and is just as good going forward as he is defending.
Hector has also been linked with a move to Chelsea, but this looks unlikely considering they have Marcos Alonso and Cesar Azpilicueta who can also play on the left side.

GettyImages-643866666.jpg

Jose Luis Gaya of Valencia (Photo: Manuel Queimadelos Alonso/Getty Images)
The La Liga Choice - Jose Luis Gaya (Valencia)

The Spanish U21 has been praised for outstanding defending for Los Che. Being a pure attacking left-back, he won 54% of aerial duels this season so therefore could withstand the physical presence of Premier League football.
He is contracted to Valencia until 2020 and has a reported release clause of £45 million.

The Serie A choice - Mattia De Sciglio (AC Milan)
Juventus have shown an interest in the Italy international and are said to be keen to take him to Turin. His positional knowledge in terms of defence is immense, he also has enough power to deal with wingers and strikers. He's entering the final year of his contract at Milan.

Aaron Cresswell at West Ham
Ben Chillwell Leicester
Charlie Taylor Leeds United

Also what is the situation with Flanagan

Aaron Cresswell at West Ham
Ben Chillwell Leicester
Charlie Taylor Leeds United

Also what is the situation with Flanagan

Flanno isn't a LB
There is that Betis LB too, the danish guy. Riza Durmisi.
Gael Clichy *shudders*

It's a shame Tuchel being given the boot won't influence Dortmund's transfer policy whatsoever, Raphaël Guerreiro would be nice as a Bundesliga choice.

RB is also a concern. Clyne hasn't scored one goal from there. Definitely can be ungraded.
I'd very much like to see AA come through this season, so Clyne and AA will be fine for now as we have other far more pressing priorities this window.

How has Hector performed this season? I wasn't sold on him during Euros but has he pushed on at all?

Of those I'd probably be most inclined to go for Bertrand, who could have been had for much cheaper two years ago.

Flanno isn't a LB
There is that Betis LB too, the danish guy. Riza Durmisi.
Gael Clichy *shudders*

Flanno did well for us at LB a number of times. I wouldn't write him off necessarily, though I'm not sure he can get up and down either wing as Klopp likes his FBs to do.

Sciglio is very good. But him being Italian and all..

We should have gotten Betrand years ago. We would have won that Europa Cup with him, and then some.

Get that Villa left back before he blows up and goes to Barca or whatever.

Or stick with Flanno.

Just for shitz n giggles.

Ricardo Rodriguez going to AC Milan for €15m + €3m.

Jonas Hector seems to have totally gone off the radar.

Anyone else think that we won't be signing a left back? Or at least not a high-profile one anyway?

I think we'll end up with some young prospect, at best. One one hand - I don't mind it too much, because we need some stability in the defence - especially if we're bringing in another centre back. But really, Milner's just not good enough. We need far better.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll finish this summer with anyone better though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom