• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Confirmed transfers 2012/13

0,,10306~11022563,00.jpg

Pierce Sweeney - Reading (compensation fee)

Reading FC are pleased to confirm the signing of highly rated 17-year-old defender Pierce Sweeney.

The centre back joins for an undisclosed fee from Irish Premier League outfit Bray Wanderers, for whom he made 12 appearances last season, after switching from well renowned youth side Belvedere.

Already an Ireland youth international, Pierce has previously played alongside Royals Academy full back Shane Griffin at schoolboy level.

"I'm absolutely delighted, it's a big dream of mine and the best moment of my career so far," said Pierce.

"There are a good few Irish connections here, including Brian McDermott, which helped to attract me to the club. There are plenty of players who have come from the League of Ireland and made the step up at this club, breaking into the first team, so it's something I want to aim for."

Director of Football Nick Hammond said, "At the age of 17 Pierce is a young player with great potential, and one that we've identified and watched over a long period of time. He is entering an excellent environment, and I know he will work extremely hard to try and realise his ambitions.

"The recruitment of young talent is massively important for us going forward, and after doing well in men's football in the League of Ireland he will now come into our development group."

He was indeed stabbed in the arse, it was covered in the echo last week as the fella that did it was up for something else as well in court.

In the wonderbar on Slater at.

Before it became flares and then the shipping forecast.

God I feel old.

Forlan_vestecamisa060712.jpg

Diego Forlan - Internacional (free transfer)

Brazilian club Internacional have announced the capture of Inter’s departing striker Diego Forlan.

The forward is understood to have rescinded his contract earlier today with the Italian club and Internacional have wasted no time in making his signing official.

Forlan is currently in Milan, but will arrive in Porto Alegre on Saturday at 14.43 local time at the Salgado Filho airport.

He’ll be unveiled to the media later that day.

The club say that the Uruguayan, 33, has already passed a medical and has agreed a contract with the outfit until July 2015.[/QUOTE]

2012-07-06285-l.JPG

Asamoah Gya - Al-Ain (£6million)

Asamoah Gyan's flirtation with English football came to an end today when he completed a permanent move from Sunderland to the United Arab Emirates.

The 26-year-old Ghana international, who signed a four-year deal when he arrived at the Stadium of Light in August 2010, left for Al-Ain having managed a little more than one season on Wearside.

Gyan spent most of last season on loan to the UAE club and has now committed his long-term future to them by signing a four-year deal.

A Sunderland statement said: 'Sunderland AFC can confirm that Ghana international Asamoah Gyan has joined United Arab Emirates side Al-Ain on a permanent deal.

'The striker initially joined the recently-crowned Etisalat Pro-League champions on loan in September 2011 but will now remain in the Gulf state after the clubs agreed undisclosed terms.'

It is understood the Black Cats received around £6million in an initial loan fee, and have accepted a similar amount to end their association with the player.

The deal which brought Gyan to Wearside in the first place amounted to in excess of £13million, although a proportion of that was dependent on add-ons which have not been triggered.

Then manager Steve Bruce signed him weeks after the 2010 World Cup finals, in which he starred for his country, although it was his extra-time penalty miss against Uruguay which effectively cost the Black Stars their place in the last four.

He was recruited to form a potentially formidable partnership with Darren Bent, and while the pair showed signs of gelling during his carefully managed early months in England, that plan was torn up when Bent submitted a shock transfer request and was sold to Aston Villa during the following January.

Gyan scored 11 goals during what proved to be his only full season on Wearside, and hit the headlines when his last-gasp equaliser denied England a friendly victory over Ghana at Wembley in March last year.

His 22 goals for Al-Ain last season helped to secure the league title and sparked fresh interest in acquiring his signature, but the champions were always confident of retaining his services and eventually clinched the deal today.

Matias-Silvestre.jpg

Matias Silvestre - Inter Milan (loan)

Serie A side Palermo have confirmed that the club have handed over Matias Silvestre to Italian giants Inter on a loan deal.

The two teams have been in talks over an €8.5m move, but the Rosanero have today revealed that the stopper has not signed on a permanent basis.

The Nerazzurri have netted the 27-year-old centre-back on a temporary basis, but with the option to sign him outright next summer.

It is believed that if the Beneamata keep the player then they will pay the Sicilian club €8m in four-yearly instalments.

RietherNews.jpg

Sascha Riether - Fulham (loan)

Fulham Football Club is delighted to announce the season-long loan signing of Sascha Riether from FC Cologne with an option to acquire the player at the end of the loan period.

The 29-year-old right-back spent last season at FC Cologne having signed from VfL Wolfsburg in 2010.

Riether, born in Lahr, Germany, has made two international appearances. He made his debut for Germany against Denmark, coming on as a second-half substitute in a 2-2 draw in August 2010. A month later he made his first start in a Euro 2012 qualifier against Azerbaijan which Germany won 6-1.

He started his senior career at SC Freiburg in 2002 where he made 139 appearances in five seasons before making the move to VfL Wolfsburg in 2007. He spent four seasons there and made 116 appearances.

VfL Wolfsburg were crowned Bundesliga Champions at the end of the 2008/09 campaign and qualified for the Champions League in 2009/10. Riether played in all six group fixtures for the German champions which included two matches against Manchester United.

That season, VfL Wolfsburg was eventually paired with Fulham in the quarter final of the Europa League, having finished their CL group in third place. Riether played in midfield in the home and away legs against his new club Fulham, who went on to win the tie 3-1 on aggregate en route to the 2010 Europa League Final.

Speaking at Fulham’s Motspur Park training ground this morning, Sascha Riether said:

“I feel very pleased to have signed. It feels like I've had a long break from football and for me this is a new experience in a new country. Fulham is a good club, a big club with a big tradition and for me it's great to be here. I played here one time with Wolfsburg and I remember Craven Cottage being a great stadium with great fans, and I hope I can go on to have a great season here.”

0,,10312~11021257,00.jpg

Adam Clayton - Huddersfield Town (undisclosed fee, reportedly £450k)

Huddersfield Town can today announce that midfielder Adam Clayton has signed from Leeds United for an undisclosed fee on a three year contract.

23 year-old Clayton is well known to Town Manager Simon Grayson, who brought the former England under-20 international to Elland Road from Manchester City. A highly-rated ball-playing central midfielder, he is a versatile player capable of both the attacking and defensive side of the game.

Adam started his career at Manchester City as a seven year old, where he worked extensively with Town's Development Coach Steve Eyre before eventually signing professional terms. At that point he was called up to England's under-20 World Cup squad in 2009, when he played two games in the tournament.

His early experiences of first team football in England came through a loan spell at League 1 outfit Carlisle United. After 36 impressive performances for the Cumbrians - who he helped reach the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final - he joined Leeds United, initially on loan before signing permanently, ahead of the 2010/11 Championship season.

Further loan spells at Peterborough United and MK Dons followed as Clayton gained more first team experience, but he established himself firmly in Leeds' midfield last season - making 43 Championship appearances. In the process he won the Club's 'Goal of the Season' award for a stunning strike against Leicester City.

Huddersfield Town Manager Simon Grayson knows Clayton well and commented:

"Adam is a good footballer. He handles the ball and has a good energy about him - he had a great season last year and scored some important goals. We're delighted to have got him.

"He's a player I admired when he was at Carlisle and Manchester City and we're delighted to secure his services to this football club. I think it shows our intent in the level of players we want to sign."

Clayton netted six goals from 43 League appearances in the Championship last season and Simon believes he can contribute to Town's scoring tally in the upcoming campaign.

"I think we need to score goals from all areas of the pitch. We can't just rely on the strikers to do it; we need the wide players, the centre halves and the midfield players to chip in. Now we have players who are capable of getting into the box and that can contribute in set-piece situations.

"We can't simply rely on Jordan to get us another 40 goals this season, just as we can't rely on the other strikers. We need goals from all areas of the pitch and Adam has that capability, but he also has other sides to his game that I've seen when I've worked previously with him."

Clayton is Grayson's fourth new signing of the summer, following on from Sean Scannell, Paul Dixon and Oliver Norwood, and the Town boss is pleased with how his squad is shaping up.

"I think things are moving along nicely in all departments. You have to strike a blend and get the partnerships right all over the pitch and we are still working hard behind the scenes to get one or two other things done. We're looking to keep improving all the time, but we're getting the right ingredients for a really decent squad.

"With losing Damien Johnson and Tommy Miller, we did feel we needed players in the midfield area and we've brought two young, hungry players in with Adam and Olly Norwood. It's also great that they both have experience of the Championship; Adam played all last season in the Championship and Oliver played half a season for Coventry, so we will only benefit from that experience."

vignette-herrera.jpg

Emanuel Herrera - Montpellier (reportedly €2 to 3 million)

Ligue 1 champions Montpellier have signed Argentinian striker Emanuel Herrera on a three-year contract from Chilean top-flight club Union Espanola.

The 25-year-old, from Rosario, has been playing in Chile for two seasons, helping his club reach the end of season play-offs by scoring 11 goals in 21 games between January and June in the Apertura.

The striker also netted five goals in eight games for the Chilean club in the Copa Libertadores.

As well as helping Montpellier defend their Ligue 1 crown, he will also get to sample top-flight European competition in the Champions League.

Herrera began his career with Rosario Central's youth team before playing in the lower leagues in both Argentina and Chile before his move to Union Espanola.

ray-lewington.ashx

Ray Lewington - Engfland (Coach)

Ray Lewington has today signed a four-year contract with The Football Association as a Coach to Roy Hodgson's England Senior Men's team.

The new full-time FA contract will see Lewington working with Hodgson in the build-up to the Brazil 2014 World Cup and France 2016 European Championship campaigns. This follows his work during Euro 2012 with England's coaching staff, including fellow Coach Gary Neville - who is also on a four-year FA deal.

The 55 year-old former midfielder recorded 407 League appearances with Chelsea, Wimbledon, two spells at Fulham and Sheffield United. He has managed Fulham, Brentford and Watford, coached at Crystal Palace and served Fulham FC in various capacities since re-joining them as Head of Coaching in 2005.

Ray Lewington said: "I'm delighted to be joining Roy's England coaching staff permanently. I really enjoyed the experience at the Euros this summer and am looking forward to spending more time with the squad as we look to qualify for the World Cup in Brazil.

“I would like to thank everyone at Fulham Football Club for such a wonderful time since I joined as a player in 1980. I have been Coach, Manager and Assistant Manager during my time here and this is a very special Club full of great people dedicated to taking it forward.

"Being offered a full-time position at Team England alongside Roy Hodgson is a fantastic opportunity for me and one that I simply couldn’t turn down. I’m excited at the prospect of being part of a special group of players and backroom staff, who will do their very best to make the nation proud.

"I would like to thank the Chairman, Mohamed Al Fayed, in particular for his support on a personal level, and for all he has done for Fulham FC since he purchased the Club in 1997. The past 15 years have been extraordinary under his stewardship. His vision and commitment, both financially and through his enthusiasm, has been incredible. I’m grateful that he has allowed me to take on a position with the England team and I’m honoured to have had him as my Chairman.

"Finally but by no means least, I would like to thank the wonderful Fulham supporters who have always been so good to me, for all their words of support through the summer with England and all of their support throughout the years. I wish all of them and the Club the very best for the season and the future and will continue to look out for the team.”

FA Chairman David Bernstein said:

"The FA would like to thank Fulham for their cooperation in Ray's appointment to the England coaching set-up. I am personally very pleased to have Ray with us full-time as we look to build on the foundations laid at Euro 2012.

"We have important games coming up soon: the August fixture sees England facing Italy again before the World Cup Qualifiers start in earnest with Moldova and Ukraine during September then San Marino and Poland in October. Ray will be playing a key role as we approach these matches."

Fulham Football Club would like to thank Ray Lewington for his services over a period spanning 32 years at the Club and wishes him all the very best for the future with the England team.

0,,1~11022575,00.gif

Jonathon Woodgate - Middlesbrough (free transfer)

JONATHAN WOODGATE is back at the Riverside after agreeing a three-year contract today with his hometown club.

The former England centre-half is excited about launching his second spell with Boro following his £7m capture from Real Madrid in 2007.

"The pull of helping Boro back in the Premier League is very strong for me," said 32-year-old Woodgate, who saw regular action with Premier League Stoke City last season. "And from what I have seen of the current squad, I think it's achievable.

"Tony Mowbray explained his plans for next season and how he is building a team that wants to get back in the Premier League as soon as possible. I want to be part of that and if we can achieve promotion in my time here it will be a fantastic way to end my career.

"Tony also likes his teams to play football the right way, and that was also a big plus point for me. It's just a great feeling to come back to this football club."

Mowbray is delighted to have signed out-of-contract Woodgate following the arrivals of Grant Leadbitter, Stuart Parnaby and Christian Burgess earlier this summer.

"I've been very impressed with Jonathan in my conversations with him and his passion for the football club stands out," he said.

"I don't need to eulogise about Jonathan's quality. He's played for some of the biggest clubs in the world. We need to build on that experience and the quality he brings to our squad."

Woodgate spent a highly-successful 18 months at the Riverside following his move from Real Madrid, initially on loan. He played 46 games for Boro before moving to Spurs in January 2008.

He began his career with Leeds United and also had a spell with Newcastle United.

Steven Davis away to Southampton, great signing for them. They're looking pretty decent and it'll be interesting how they all step up. Their squad contains two of the top three goalscorers in the Championship - Billy Sharp and Rickie Lambert. The latter featuring in the Team of the Year along with Adam Lallana, Jay Rodriguez and Kelvin Davis. Then Jack Cork who is away representing the UK in the Olympics.

Steven Davis away to Southampton, great signing for them. They're looking pretty decent and it'll be interesting how they all step up. Their squad contains two of the top three goalscorers in the Championship - Billy Sharp and Rickie Lambert. The latter featuring in the Team of the Year along with Adam Lallana, Jay Rodriguez and Kelvin Davis. Then Jack Cork who is away representing the UK in the Olympics.
some posters were advocating we signed him? looks like he found his level - scottish epl = top championship team!

some posters were advocating we signed him? looks like he found his level - scottish epl = top championship team!

I think he's better than some of the centre-midfield options we have at the moment and for free I wouldn't have been opposed to it.

I think he's better than some of the centre-midfield options we have at the moment and for free I wouldn't have been opposed to it.
being better than spearing doesn't mean we should sign you especially if your 27 and been playing in a crap league.

being better than spearing doesn't mean we should sign you especially if your 27 and been playing in a crap league.
....also Adam and at the moment Henderson. I would rather have someone playing in their prime, winning trophies and gaining individual honours than to continue playing someone who might be good in a few years time.

....also Adam and at the moment Henderson. I would rather have someone playing in their prime, winning trophies and gaining individual honours than continue playing someone who might be good in a few years time.
look theres no doubt he had a great time in scotland, but he's been signed by southampton, we should be no way near a player like that. we have standards.

look theres no doubt he had a great time in scotland, but he's been signed by southampton, we should be no way near a player like that. we have standards.

You said it, we have standards, if we're going to sign better quality midfielders than Spearing, Adam and Henderson over the course of the Summer then fair enough, but these players are well below Liverpool standard.

I'm one of Davis's biggest fans and I wouldn't sign him.

lol that's pretty much an oxymoron.

In the wonderbar on Slater at.

Before it became flares and then the shipping forecast.

God I feel old.

Ha!

Yeah, known that feeling!

It was called something before that, had massive new york pictures everywhere & used to sell some mean b52s.

The name is really gonna bug me.

0,,10280~11023055,00.jpg

Steven Davis - Southampton (free transfer)

The Northern Ireland captain Steven Davis has signed a three-year contract with Saints.

The midfielder becomes Saints' second summer signing following on from the arrival of striker Jay Rodriguez last month.

Davis is a player with a vast top-flight experience having previously played for both Fulham and Aston Villa in the Barclays Premier League, before becoming captain of Scottish giants Rangers.

At 27 years of age, he already has over 250 professional games to his name and a collection of domestic honours including the SPL title and two Scottish Cups.

During his time in the SPL, the one-time Youth Cup winner with Aston Villa also lined up against current Saints stars Danny Fox and Jos Hooiveld on separate occasions in the Old Firm derby.

In fact he is no stranger to St Mary's either, having scored a winner here for Villa in a 3-2 success in April 2005.

Steven was voted by his fellow professionals north of the border as the Scottish Players' Player of the Year in 2010 - the only Rangers player in seven years to land the prize.

On the international stage, Davis was handed the captaincy of the Northern Ireland team earlier this year by new manager Michael O'Neill, taking over the honour from former Fulham and Villa teammate Aaron Hughes.

Davis returns to England four years on from his move to Ibrox looking to build on his 113 Premier League appearances to date.
Steven Davis said:

I'm delighted to get everything done and dusted, and I'm looking forward to getting started. There was quite a bit of interest in me from other clubs but, after speaking to the chairman and the manager, I saw the level of ambition the Club has shown.

They've had a lot of success over the past couple of years to get to this stage, and they don't want to stand still - they want to keep moving forward, and that was a big thing for me.

Now I'm just looking forward to getting down, getting to know the boys and getting started.

Nigel Adkins commented:

It's very good and I'm very pleased.

Obviously the work the Club has gone and done to make it happen is really promising for the future. Steven's an experienced player - a very talented football player who has played international football, captained his country, captained Rangers, and played in the Premier League, so he's at a good age and comes with a wealth of experience as well.

We work very hard behind the scenes and we're delighted that the Football Club has managed to secure his services.

120707Kalou02.png

Salomon Kalou - Lille (free transfer)

Former Chelsea forward Salomon Kalou has joined Lille on a free transfer after his release by the champions of Europe.

"Lille confirm the signing of Salomon Kalou, who passed a medical this morning after arriving at the club last night," the 2011 French champions announced on their website.

"Agreed in principle at the end of June, the European champion has signed a four-year contract until June 2016."

The player, 26, explained his decision to join the club near the Belgian border.

"Lille's project, notably with the impending new stadium, is ambitious and really pleased me. Given what I already knew about the club, there is nothing more you could ask from Europe's biggest clubs.

"I am excited about coming here and look forward to meeting the warmest of fans."

Kalou, who scored 60 goals in six seasons for Chelsea, was a free agent after leaving the Champions League winners when his contract expired at the end of the season.

He is a direct replacement for Eden Hazard, who himself moved to Stamford Bridge at the start of the summer.

Lille - who finished third in Ligue 1 and will play in the Champions League qualifiers - also lost on-loan Liverpool playmaker Joe Cole, who is expected to resume his career at Anfield, but signed France midfielder Marvin Martin in June.

Back
Top Bottom