• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Confirmed transfers 2012/13

0,,10265~11170618,00.jpg

Joe Bennett - Aston Villa (£2.5 million)

Paul Lambert is convinced that Joe Bennett will "thrive and fit in exactly with what we are trying to build here" as the England U21 international defender completed a four-year deal which will secure his future at Aston Villa to the end of the 2015-16 season.

Bennett's capture from Middlesbrough has increased the number of signings made by the club in this transfer window to six, following on from fellow defenders Ron Vlaar and Matt Lowton, midfield general Karim El Ahmadi and wide man Brett Holman, along with goalkeeper Brad Guzan who re-signed following four years previously at Villa Park.

The 22-year-old left-back has been lauded by Boro boss Tony Mowbray for his "quality, speed and technique" and for Lambert his youthful enthusiasm, desire and energy proved compelling.

"Joe's a really good player, young and hungry to succeed and he's exactly the type of player we want here at the football club," said Villa boss Lambert.

"There's no doubt in my mind that he will thrive in this environment and he fits in exactly with what we are trying to build here.

"His energy level is really high and he can get up and down the pitch really well, which will be important for the team and important in terms of how we want to play as a team.

"He's an exciting signing for the club and I'm really pleased we've been able to take him here."

Bennett started 84 games in all competitions for Middlesbrough, appearing on eight more occasions as a substitute and scoring one goal after graduating from youth level at the Riverside and signing his first pro contract in summer 2008.

He was an ever-present for Mowbray's men in 2011-12, playing in 45 matches in all competitions and completing 41 appearances in the Championship.

In 2010-11 he was voted the club's player of the year and young player of the year when he played in 31 Championship games and 33 in all competitions, while his performances last season earned him the North East Football Writers' Association's young player of the year accolade.

"I am really excited to have joined a massive club in Aston Villa and I'm eager to fight for a starting place and get in the team," Bennett said.

"It's up to the manager to pick the team, of course, but it would be great to go back to the north east this weekend and make my debut against Newcastle at St James's Park.

"When I first heard about the move a lot of things ran through my head. There was excitement and nerves and most of all a real buzz about the prospect of coming to Villa and playing in the Premier League.

"Now that it's come around so fast, I'm just raring to go. I've had a look around the stadium and the training ground and the facilities are top-class. You can tell straight away this is a massive club.

"I know a few of the players from England U21s, the likes of Nathan Delfouneso and Nathan Baker and that will help in terms of settling in. I'm looking forward to it.

"My approach has always been to get forward and try to create things. In my opinion Ashley Cole and Gael Clichy are the best full backs around and if I keep working on my game and improving it I know I can succeed at this level and help the team.

"It was not long ago that I was given my professional debut at Middlesbrough by Gareth Southgate and it is a real privilege to now follow in his footsteps and join a club with Villa's heritage.

"I am very grateful to get this opportunity and I'm very grateful to the Middlesbrough chairman, Mr. Gibson, all of the Middlesbrough staff and fans and, particularly, Tony Mowbray for giving me the opportunity to prove my ability.

"I am fully focused now on my career here at Villa and I'm really eager to get started.

"My priority will be to impress the manager and gain a place in the starting XI. It will be a special moment when I pull on the claret and blue shirt for the first time.

"I'm determined to earn the respect of my team-mates and the Aston Villa supporters. I know it's going to be really exciting here in the years ahead and I really want to play my part."

To a surprising extent IMHO. Without necessarily expecting them to set the Prem alight, I didn't think they'd be this poor.

cesar-qpr-shirt-64064-341373_478x359.jpg

Julio Cesar - QPR (£2.5 million)

LEGENDARY Brazilian number one Julio Cesar has agreed a four-year deal at Loftus Road.

The 32 year-old goalkeeper – who has 64 international caps to his name – has agreed a contract until the summer of 2016, after leaving Inter Milan.

The deal, however, is subject to the player receiving international clearance and being granted a visa.

The imminent arrival of Cesar – who won the Champions League and five titles with Inter during his seven years in the San Siro – represents quite a coup for QPR manager Mark Hughes, who expressed his delight at the arrival of the experienced shot-stopper.

“It’s fantastic that we’ve been able to attract a keeper of such outstanding ability to the club,” said Hughes.

“When the opportunity to sign a player of his quality presents itself, you have to act quickly and we’ve managed to get the deal done.

“It was always my intention to bring two goalkeepers to the club this summer and now we’ve got fantastic competition in that department.”

Hughes added: “He’s an outstanding individual, as well as being an outstanding player.

“Not only will we benefit from his ability, but we’ll also benefit from his experience and winning mentality.”

Cesar – who was voted the third best goalkeeper in the world in 2009, as well as Serie A keeper of the year in 2009 and 2010 – told www.qpr.co.uk: “I’m so happy and excited to be here.

“The ambition of this club was presented to me by the chairman and the coach and I couldn’t have been more impressed.

“The desire to achieve things at this club is clear for everyone to see and I wanted to be part of that. I have come here to compete for the shirt and give my all.”

He added: “The English Premier League is the best division in the world.

“Everyone wants to play here and I am no different. Now I just want to give my all to the club and show the fans what I am capable of.

“This is a really exciting move for me and I can’t wait to get going.”

Cesar, who will wear the number 33 shirt, is expected to be available for selection for the R’s home fixture against Chelsea after the international break.

0,,10335~11172934,00.jpg

Craig Noone - Cardiff City (£1.8 million)

Cardiff City are pleased to announce that Craig Noone has agreed to join the Club from Brighton & Hove Albion, following the completion of his medical and paperwork.

Winger Craig joins City on a four year deal and links up with his new team-mates today in preparation for Sunday's home fixture with Wolves.

A former Liverpool school-boy, twenty-four year old Craig began his career in non-league football before being signed up by Plymouth Argyle in 2008. After impressing with the Pilgrims he was recruited by nearby Brighton in January 2011, where he spent eighteen months prior to today's transfer.

Craig Noone spoke exclusively to cardiffcityfc.co.uk on Thursday afternoon, after agreeing to sign from Championship rivals Brighton & Hove Albion.

The winger has signed a four year deal at Cardiff City and could feature against Wolves in Sunday's Championship clash.

"I'm delighted to be here at such a big Club that wants to get promoted to the Premier League," said Craig. "I want to get there as quickly as possible too - just like the fans and everyone associated with the Club.

"I knew there was some interest from Cardiff back in January for me and that went right down to the last day of the window. When I heard that there was a chance of moving again now this summer I was hoping it wouldn't go down to the last day again, though it almost did! I'm just glad it's all done now and can't wait to play."

The twenty-four year-old Merseysider played eighty-two minutes for his former side against City earlier this month in an entertaining 0-0 draw - a strange situation in Craig's eyes.

"It's a bit strange signing for Cardiff after having played against them for Brighton only a few days ago, I admit" Nooney continued. "I trained with the lads this morning though and felt sharp so fingers crossed I'll be involved on Sunday if I continue training well over the next couple of days."

And an old favourite from our Ninian days has been helping the new signing get used to his surroundings. Craig takes up the story: "I don't know Cardiff too well, but I know Chris Barker from my days at Plymouth who still lives in the City.

"I've been speaking to Barks quite a bit the last couple of days, while the kit man Ian and Eti Velikonja have been really good too. I know Joe Mason as well of course from when we were both at Plymouth so there are a few familiar faces about."

Cardiff wearing red still doesn't look right. I'd be furious. Imagine if our new owners just turned around one day and said 'We wear blue from now on'. Mental.

HM_Rensing1.jpg

Michael Rensing - Bayer Leverkusen (free transfer)

Bayer 04 have further strengthened the first team squad before the transfer window closes on Friday. Goalkeeper Michael Rensing joins the Werkself on a free transfer. The 28-year-old is under contract at Leverkusen to 30 June 2013.

Rensing has made 102 Bundesliga appearances for FC Köln and Bayern Munich. “We have signed an experienced and high quality back-up for our number one Bernd Leno. We made this move as we are involved in three competitions,” explained Bayer 04 managing director Wolfgang Holzhäuser.

Sporting director Rudi Völler emphasised Rensing’s quality in the past two seasons at the Cologne club: “Michael Rensing was always a key player at FC Köln and he produced some outstanding performances there. His experience can and will help Bernd Leno to perform even better in goal,” declared Völler.

Mousa Dembélé joined Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday, with Jol admitting he was powerless to stop the midfielder leaving.

“He had a clause in his contract and they [Tottenham] agreed to pay that money so we had to let him go,” stated Jol. “I’ve tried to keep him over the last six months because I knew of the clause. If he’d stayed it would have been good for him. He could have moved on in a year’s time to another club but he’d decided to go earlier.

“We had money before, we’re a healthy Club, and it wasn’t like we needed the Dembélé money. We want to keep our best players and he was certainly one of our best players. I felt he’d made big steps forward over the last six months. So we are busy trying to get the team as strong as before.”

A1kwKgWCEAAe686.jpg:large

Javier Saviola - Malaga (free transfer)

Malaga signed former Argentina striker Javier Saviola to a one-year deal Thursday.

Saviola, 30, was released by Benfica and passed a physical with Malaga to join the Spanish side. He scored 24 goals in 69 league appearances for Benfica.

He started his career at River Plate and moved to Europe in 2001 to Barcelona. He scored 49 goals in 123 La Liga matches for Barca and also spent time out on loan with Monaco and Sevilla. Saviola later played at Real Madrid from 2007-09 and joined Benfica in 2009.

Capped 40 times for Argentina, Saviola scored 11 international goals.

granero-signing-64064-343638_478x359.jpg

Esteban Granero - QPR (£3.5million)

THE CLUB is delighted to confirm the signing of Real Madrid ace Esteban Granero.

The talented midfielder – who has made 60 appearances for Los Blancos – has penned a four-year contract at Loftus Road, after the two clubs agreed an undisclosed fee for his services.

A darling of the Santiago Bernabeu terraces having come through the Madrid Academy set-up, the 25 year-old midfielder arrives in W12 just three months after helping Madrid win the La Liga title, his third major trophy.

R’s boss Mark Hughes believes Rangers will benefit hugely from having a player of Granero’s ilk at the club, commenting: “He is a great player, first and foremost. You don’t play at a club like Real Madrid if you’re not.

“He has been there from the age of nine, so this has been a huge decision for him. He is very well regarded there and for him to leave a club of that stature to come to us shows the belief he has in what we are trying to do.

“He has got great energy and is technically very gifted, as you would expect from a Real Madrid player. He is very comfortable on the ball and is an all-round excellent midfielder, which we will benefit from.”

Hughes added: “What we are doing at QPR is having an impact on players. It is probably true to say that if we had approached certain players three or four months ago about joining the club, the suggestion wouldn’t have been entertained.

“But people now know we are serious and we are trying to do something different here. And that message is out there now which is why we are able to sit in front of quality players and once we are given that opportunity, we feel we have a good story to tell them. That’s why players are deciding that QPR is a great option.”

Granero, who will wear the number 14 shirt at Loftus Road, told www.qpr.co.uk: “I’m very happy to be here.

“I love the passion of the English fans and from what I know QPR supporters are amongst the very best.

“I think QPR will continue to grow as a club and I want to be part of a very bright future here.

“When I spoke to Mark and Mike (Rigg), as well as Tony (Fernandes) I was convinced that I wanted to be part of this project, which has no limits.

“I am delighted to be part of this exciting chapter in the club’s history. Players that have joined before me are as excited as I am about what QPR can become, one of the great teams in England.”

0,,12562~11174019,00.jpg

Andy Carroll (£1.5million loan fee with option to buy)

West Ham United are delighted to announce the signing of England striker Andy Carroll on a season-long loan deal.

The 23-year-old has moved to the Boleyn Ground from Liverpool for the remainder of the 2012/13 Barclays Premier League campaign, with the Hammers having the option to complete a permanent deal for an undisclosed fee next summer.

Carroll, a powerful forward who is an outstanding header of the ball and blessed with superb technical ability, led the line for his country at EURO 2012 and has been named in the England squad for the upcoming 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifiers with Moldova and Ukraine.

The signing of Carroll, who became the most-expensive English footballer in history when he joined Liverpool from Newcastle United for a reported fee of £35m in January 2011, represents a huge statement of the Board's intentions to make West Ham a force to be reckoned with in the Barclays Premier League.

The Gateshead-born frontman, who could make his Hammers debut in Saturday's home fixture with Fulham, has expressed his happiness at completing a move that sees him reunited with his former Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce and captain Kevin Nolan.

"It's great to be here at West Ham and all signed up - I just can't wait to get started now," Carroll said. "I want to be playing games and obviously hoping to score some goals. I know the manager well and some of the lads, so it is nice for me to come to a place where I know people.

"I'm hoping to add a lot of goals and create a few chances. I know Sam from Newcastle and he was a massive reason for me coming. When I worked with him at Newcastle it was great so it was a no-brainer really."

His new manager was understandably pleased to welcome Carroll to east London.

He said: "I think for all parties this is a great signing. Andy is an all-round footballer, but because he is 6'3" and one of his strengths is his aerial power, everybody dismisses the ability he possesses on the floor.

"Hopefully he can score goals for
us and we will be in a very good position at the end of the year in the Barclays Premier League."

Carroll burst into the Newcastle first-team at the age of 17, making his first-team debut as a replacement for future Hammer Nolberto Solano in a UEFA Cup victory over Palermo on 2 November 2006 - an appearance that made him the youngest-ever player to represent Newcastle in Europe.

After scoring his maiden first-team goal past FIFA World Cup winner Gianluigi Buffon in a friendly win over Juventus in July 2007, Carroll embarked on a six-month loan spell with Championship side Preston North End.

On his return to St James' Park, the centre forward forced his way into the Magpies starting XI, scoring on his full home debut with a towering header against West Ham in a 2-2 Premier League draw on 10 January 2009.

The 2009/10 season saw Carroll come into his own as he combined with Nolan to shoot Newcastle to the Championship title and promotion back to the Premier League at the first attempt. The striker finished the campaign as the club's top scorer with 19 goals in all competitions and be voted into the Championship Team of the Year.

At the start of 2010/11, he then took the top-flight by storm, netting a hat-trick in a 6-0 win over Aston Villa and eleven goals in just 19 league appearances before completing his record-breaking move to Anfield.

Last season, Carroll collected a League Cup winner's medal as Liverpool beat Cardiff City before returning to Wembley to score the winning goal against Everton to take the Reds into the FA Cup final.

Carroll's performances for Newcastle earned him a senior England debut in a friendly international with France on 17 November 2010. His first senior international goal arrived in a friendly with Ghana at Wembley on 29 March 2011.

The striker's all-round ability saw him named in England's squad for the 2012 UEFA European Championship finals, where he impressed by scoring a trademark header in a group-stage victory over Sweden.

£3.5M for Granero, possibly £4M for that Hernandez chap (replacing Sinclair at Swansea)?!...If Rafa was around he would have torn the Spanish transfer market a new a-hole.

maya-yoshida_2324426k.jpg

Maya Yoshida - Southampton (£2m)

Saints are delighted to announce that Japanese international defender Maya Yoshida has agreed to join the Club from Dutch side VVV-Venlo.

The 24-year-old will sign a three-year deal at St Mary's after an undisclosed fee was agreed between the two clubs.

Yoshida's move is now waiting on him being given entry clearance while his work permit has already been granted by the Home Office.

"To come to the Premier League was one of my biggest dreams since I was a child," Yoshida said after agreeing to join the Club.

"I am very grateful to be able to become a Saint and I will do my best for the team and for the supporters.

"I saw a video of the recent history of Southampton since the takeover, which showed me the great supporters when the club was promoted last season.

"I want to show them what I can do as soon as possible and hopefully impress them with my performances."

First Team Manager Nigel Adkins welcomed his new defender to St Mary's, saying: "We are delighted to bring in Maya to the Club.

"He is a centre-half who is comfortable on both the right- and left-hand side as he is good with both feet and has a good physical presence about himself.

"We are really looking forward to working with him here at Southampton."

Maya was this morning named in the Japan squad for a friendly against the United Arab Emirates in Niigata on 6th September and subsequent 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifier versus Iraq in Saitama five days later.

He will then become the second Japanese player in the Saints squad when he links up with national team colleague Tadanari Lee on the south coast after the international break.

Yoshida has been capped 17 times by his country, and was named as their captain at this summer's 2012 London Olympic Games.

The centre-back played in every game of his side's involvement in the tournament as they reached the last four, scoring in their quarter-final win over Egypt in front of more than 70,000 spectators at Old Trafford.

But Yoshida did not take home a medal from the games as Japan were beaten 2-0 by South Korea in their Bronze Medal Match in Cardiff.

Nagasaki-born Maya began his footballing career with J. League side Nagoya Grampus, coming through their youth system before making his first-team debut in 2007.

He was named in Japan's squad for the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing and made his debut for the full international team in a friendly win over Yemen in January 2010.

A year later, Yoshida was selected in the final 23 for Japan's 2011 AFC Asian Cup campaign alongside new Saints teammate Tadanari Lee.

He started all three of the Samurai Blue's group-stage matches but was sent off in their quarter-final win over Qatar.

That meant he missed their semi-final against South Korea, but returned to start in the final versus Australia as Lee scored the winning goal to secure the trophy for Japan.

Yoshida signed for Eredivisie side VVV-Venlo in January 2010 but did not make his debut for his new club until the following season, playing 24 times as they avoided relegation via the play-offs.

2011-12 saw the defender make 37 appearances as V.V.V. again came through a relegation play-off to preserve their Eredivisie status once more.

Yoshida was awarded the Eredivisie Goal of the Season award last year for his acrobatic bicycle kick in a draw with PSV Eindhoven in September – one of five occasions on which he netted for VVV-Venlo.

rhodes4x3195-343417_478x359.jpg

Jordan Rhodes - Blackburn Rovers (£8m)

Blackburn Rovers have agreed a club record £8m deal with Huddersfield Town for the signing of much-coveted striker Jordan Rhodes.

The Scotland striker is joining Steve Kean’s promotion-chasing squad on a five-year deal.

Widely regarded as one of the brightest talents outside the top flight, Rhodes becomes our ninth signing of the summer.

The 22-year-old was the top scorer in England last season, with 36 league goals, and spearheaded Huddersfield’s promotion charge to the Championship.

The Rovers boss said: “Jordan is a top class striker and we are absolutely delighted to bring him in. His record is there for all to see and I believe he can play a major role in our drive for promotion back to the Premier League.”

Rovers’ managing director Derek Shaw, instrumental in the record-breaking transfer, said: “An awful lot of work has gone into this deal and we are all indebted to Mrs Desai and her family for their magnificent support. From the very first day I walked in here, the owners have given superb backing for everything we are trying to do on and off the field. That is where the credit is really due.”

Jordan, who has two caps for his country, started his career at Barnsley, before joining Ipswich Town in March 2005. He enjoyed successful loan spells with Oxford United, Rochdale and Brentford, where he became the youngest player to score a hat-trick in the club's history, before joining Huddersfield Town in July 2009.

He scored on his debut away to Southend before bagging a brace on his home bow against Stockport County. He ended the season as the Terriers' top scorer with 23 goals, which included a hat-trick of headers in a game against Exeter!

Jordan top scored again in 2010-11, with 22 goals, before really hitting the headlines thanks to a sensational season in front of goal last term.

He registered a phenomenal 40 goals in all competitions, which included three hat-tricks, all four goals in a 4-4 draw with Sheffield Wednesday and five in a 6-0 whitewash over Wycombe Wanderers. He helped Huddersfield secure promotion via the play-offs and was rewarded with the League One Player of the Year award.

The prolific marksman has continued his fine form into the current campaign, netting three goals in three games for club and country this season, including his first international strike in Scotland's 3-1 friendly win over Australia earlier this month.

Jordan had been called up to the senior squad having netted eight goals in eight games for Scotland’s Under-21s.

The Rovers new boy will go straight into the squad for Saturday’s trip to Leeds United.

RichardsonKieran.ashx

Kieron Richardson - Fulham (£2million)

Fulham Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Kieran Richardson from Sunderland on a three-year deal, with an additional year’s option, for an undisclosed fee.

The 27-year-old midfielder made 149 appearances for the Black Cats after signing from Manchester United in 2007 shortly after lifting the Premier League trophy.

Richardson, born in Greenwich, London, has eight international caps and scored two goals on his England debut in a 2-1 win against the USA in 2005.

Speaking at Fulham’s Motspur Park Training Ground on Friday morning, Richardson, who has been handed squad number 15, said: “I’m delighted that my transfer to Fulham has been completed and now I’m eager to start training for my new club straight away and pulling on the white shirt for the first time.”

Fulham Manager Martin Jol added: “Kieran is a proven top-level player, who has the versatility to play a number of positions. He will bring all-round quality which will add strength to our squad and I’m confident that he will adapt well to our style of football, and make an impact for us.”

Able to play on the wing and in central midfield, Richardson can also operate at left-back or as a second striker.

The star’s career began as a youngster at West Ham United, before Manchester United stepped in to seal a move to Old Trafford.

He made 81 appearances in almost five years with the Red Devils, winning the League Cup in 2006 and the Premier League title in 2007. He also enjoyed a successful loan spell at West Bromwich Albion in 2005, scoring three goals in 12 games as the Baggies avoided relegation by the skin of their teeth.

Richardson joined Sunderland in July 2007 for an undisclosed fee following their return to the top flight.

charlie-adam-640226-344375_478x359.jpg

Charlie Adam - Stoke City (£4 million)

STOKE CITY have made their first move on transfer deadline day by sealing the signing of Scottish international Charlie Adam from Liverpool for an undisclosed fee.

The 26-year-old former Glasgow Rangers and Blackpool midfielder put pen-to-paper on a four-year contract after agreeing personal terms and passing a medical at the Club’s Clayton Wood Training Ground in the countdown to today’s transfer deadline.

Adam’s move was sealed before midday which hopefully means that he will be available for Saturday’s Premier League match at Wigan Athletic.

Manager Tony Pulis was delighted with the addition to his squad, not only in terms of strengthening his midfield department but bringing goals to the Club.

“It’s no secret that we’ve been looking to bring more goals to the squad and Charlie is a fantastic signing in that respect,” commented City’s manager.

“Not only will his creativity and his eye for delivering a pass be a great asset to us, he scored twelve goals for Blackpool in the Premier League two seasons ago.

“In fact, he scored 28 League goals for Blackpool over two seasons which is a fantastic return for a midfield player. We are looking for more goals from all areas of the team and his arrival gives us more competition for places in that department.”

Adam is relishing the move, saying: “I’m delighted to be here and to be given the opportunity to work with the Club, the manager and the players.”

“This Club’s on the up and it’s great to be a part of it. I hope I can help them to improve upon the success which has been achieved over the past few years.

“Hopefully, we can have a successful time together. I can do this Club proud and I’m looking forward to the chance of playing in front of their passionate supporters.”

Adam becomes City’s fifth signing of the summer and strengthens the Rangers connection following the signings of Maurice Edu and Jamie Ness, while the Potters have also recruited Michael Kightly from Wolves and Geoff Cameron from Houston Dynamo.

Capped 16 times by Scotland, Adam began his career with Glasgow Rangers before becoming Blackpool’s record £500,000 signing three years ago.

He was a key figure in Ian Holloway’s side gaining promotion to the Premier League and then made a big impact in the top-flight for the Seasiders.

That led to him making a £7 million move to Liverpool where he was a regular in their side last season and was part of the team that won the Carling Cup Final by beating Cardiff City at Wembley Stadium back in February this year.

Danny%20Rose.jpg

Danny Rose - Sunderland (loan)

Martin O’Neill has made a deadline-day swoop for Tottenham defender Danny Rose.

The left-back has joined Sunderland on a season-long loan deal.

Rose, 22, is O’Neill’s fifth summer signing, joining Carlos Cuellar, Louis Saha, Steven Fletcher and Adam Johnson.

The Doncaster-born defender represented Team GB at the London Olympics, making four appearances.

After coming through the youth system at Leeds, Rose moved to White Hart Lane in July 2007 and has had loan spells at Watford, Peterborough and Bristol City.

Rose has made 29 career appearances for Spurs and marked his league debut against Arsenal in April 2010 with a spectacular long-range strike which was voted the club’s Goal of the Season.

He played 20 games for the North London club in all competitions last season.

As well as his Team GB involvement, Rose has been a regular for England at under-21 level, winning 21 caps and scoring three goals.

jay-spearing-signs-4x3201-343984_478x359.jpg

Jay Spearing - Bolton Wanderers (loan)

Bolton Wanderers have completed the signing of Jay Spearing from Liverpool on a season-long loan.

The 23-year-old midfielder arrives with exceptional pedigree, having graduated through the ranks at Liverpool before going onto register over a half-century of senior appearances.

Notable highlights include back-to-back FA Youth Cup successes, appearing in a 4-0 triumph over Real Madrid in a Champions League game at Anfield and an FA Cup final start against Chelsea at Wembley last season.

Spearing has also had a brief loan spell with Leicester City in the 2009/10 season, helping the club to the Championship play-off semi-finals.

Manager Owen Coyle said: “We have been in the market for a player of this kind for a long time, and Jay is someone that we have always had an eye on.

“He was previously never available and, indeed, played the majority of games in Liverpool’s first team last season in the Premier League.

“We did everything we can to bring Jay to the football club and so we are thrilled to bring in a player of his calibre.

“He is a young player that is driven, who is a terrific passer of the ball. He has a real desire to do well and has all the attributes that we crave at Bolton Wanderers.”

Spearing will wear squad number 20 for the 2012/13 season.

Sinclair%20shirt%20shot2.ashx

Scott Sinclair - Man City (£6.2million fee plus add-ons)

The Great Britain winger, 23, joins the Blues from Swansea and could be in the squad to face QPR on Saturday.

The Bath-born forward had a terrific season with the Swans last season and was a major factor in the South Wales side's promotion to the Premier League the season before.

"I'm just glad everything is settled and that I'm now a City player," said Sinclair.

"There were times when I thought it might not happen so I'm relieved that I'm here and I can't wait to get started.

"Playing alongside some of the best players in the world is exciting for me and when you see two Champions League fixtures against Real Madrid on the horizon, it brings it all home."

Sinclair began his career at Bristol Rovers and made his debut aged 15 before moving to Chelsea where he spent five years.

He made a succession of loan moves during his time at Stamford Bridge, playing for Plymouth, QPR, Charlton, Crystal Palace, Birmingham and Wigan before Swansea paid £500,000 for his services in 2010.

Sinclair was an integral part of the Great Britain Olympic squad during London 2012, playing four times and scoring once.

scott1.ashx

0,,10265~11175526,00.jpg

Jordan Bowery - Aston Villa (£1.2 million)

Paul Lambert has described new signing Jordan Bowery as "battle-hardened and one for the future" as the 21-year-old striker completed a three-year deal from Chesterfield which will keep him at Villa to the end of the 2014-15 season.

Bowery is the sixth acquisition of the transfer window for Villa following the arrivals of defenders Ron Vlaar, Joe Bennett and Matt Lowton and midfield players Brett Holman and Karim El Ahmadi.

"Jordan's a good player. The hunger will be there for him and he could surprise a few people," said Villa manager Lambert.

"He's a good lad, he's strong and powerful. He's played over 100 games in the Football League and Cup football, so he's battle-hardened. He's one for the future but if he steps up to the plate like I think he can then I would have no hesitation in throwing him in, none whatsoever."

Bowery played 40 games for Chesterfield in League One last season and also made eight appearances in Cups. He scored 12 goals in all competitions.

This season he has made three appearances for the Spireites and scored one goal.

"This is a Premier League club with so much history, a massive club, and I'm really excited," said Bowery.

"The chief executive at Chesterfield told me that a bid had been accepted and that Paul Lambert was going to give me a call. He talked about wanting to bring in young, raw, hungry talent, players who want to improve here and want to get to this level and stay at this level. I think that's what he's looked at in me.

"All young players want to learn from more experienced players. When I was at Chesterfield I learned off a guy called Jack Lester - he has been a good professional for a long time and played at some big clubs like Sheffield United and Nottingham Forest.

"Now I want to learn off the guys who have played so many games in the Premier League. Gabby, Darren Bent, even guys like Nathan Delfouneso and Andreas Weimann I can learn a lot from.

"I'm quick, I'm fit and I work hard, those are all advantages to my game. Now I have to work harder than ever before to make an impression here and to repay the manager."

Bowery has also followed his father, Bert Bowery, into professional football.

Bert was a striker who played for Nottingham Forest under Brian Clough before moving to the North American Soccer League in 1976.

"When I was young he never forced me to play football. I used to play a bit with my brother but that was it. As I got older and started to love the game more he pushed me to give it everything I had. He kept pushing me and if it wasn't for him I wouldn't be here today.

"I'm just going to take it day by day. I am going to show the manager what I can do and I'm going to work hard to show everyone what I can do."

RTEmagicP_120831_afellay_stevens.jpg

Ibrahim Afellay - Schalke 04 (loan)

Netherlands international Ibrahim Afellay has moved to Schalke on a season-long loan deal from Barcelona.

Afellay, 26, arrived at the club on Friday morning, and will play under coach Huub Stevens - who knows the winger from their time together at PSV Eindhoven.

"I am very much looking forward to seeing Ibrahim again. He has got special qualities and can play numerous positions. In Eindhoven he played in central midfield, but he can also play on the wings," Stevens said about his new signing.

Afellay will compete with the likes of Lewis Holtby, Julian Draxler and Jefferson Farfan for a place in midfield and could be just the player Schalke need to progress in Champions League, where they were drawn against Arsenal, Olympiakos and Montpellier on Thursday.

"I feel good and fit. I will train with the team for the first time on Firday afternoon. After that is is up to the coach if I make the squad," Afellay stated. Asked if compatriots Stevens and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar encourages him to sign for the club, Afellay responded: "There was nothing much to report really. I was aware that Schalke is a great club with a fantastic aura. I will do everything I can to integrate and feel fine here. I also know Jefferson Farfan, who played alongside me during the Eindhoven days."

Back
Top Bottom