• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

County Derby pre chat & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stewart actually impresses me more than any other young player I've seen make their full team debut in the last few years. He's been given barely any time in some matches yet still manages to make an impression & play in a very difficult position in a way that belies his age & inexperience.
He's 23

Stewart actually impresses me more than any other young player I've seen make their full team debut in the last few years. He's been given barely any time in some matches yet still manages to make an impression & play in a very difficult position in a way that belies his age & inexperience.
He's not a youngster though. He's 24 !

I think someone has actually told me that before.

He's still pretty impressive though.

It'd be good to see him start to cement a place in the first team, as despite Hendo doing well, the defensive side of his game really isn't natural & I'd like to see someone breaking up play & throwing tackles in like Stewart has done when given the chance. Not to mention some remarkable passes from deep he has a tendency to do.

I have ignored every single 'this kid is going to be great' story and report I've heard coming out of Mellwood and The Academy or wherever for years now.

Because they never are. As evidenced by the last genuine quality players to come through were Gerrard, Owen, and Carragher.

There's a few who have been OK, and left to have decent careers, but most haven't made it, despite being part of the 'the best crop of talent since....'

Woodburn is the first that has made a ping on my radar. I've watched a few of his goals, and the sheer volume of reports and adulation suggests that he may well be the first player since Owen for whom it is not a question of if he will get into the first team, but when.

Yes. The other option, besides having in the squad for these kinds of games, is to loan him briefly out to a sympathetic manager, and I'd say Karl Robinson at MK Dons would, at his stage, be ideal - that team are so desperate for goals they'd play him every week, Robinson loves LFC and would look after him really well, and the lad would learn more in a few months than he'd do in two years in the woeful reserve league.

I still think we could have done better developing those players. Ejaria was on the bench against Chelsea. Suso would be fab in preseason and then get nowhere near the match day squad. Ejaria will play some role this season.

I think we try. Inglethorpe is an extremely admirable figure who really thinks hard about these issues. The main problem is the reserve league is crap. Making the main reserve league age specific has been a big mistake. It's powder puff football, losing doesn't hurt at all, the pace is all wrong, the competitiveness is very weak, and few players emerging from that are ready for the first team. I heard some ex-LFC pros the other day saying how brilliant Lucas was when he 'guested' in the ressies, because his attitude was so superb all the youngsters learnt loads playing with him. They said that was how they got ready for the first team, playing with a few experienced older players who talked them through games and showed them how to perform at a certain level.

Wasn't there talk of reserve teams being entered into one of the lesser cup competitions only for most clubs not to bother?

I want to see Karius and Ings start, as well as Can if he's fit, not bothered about the rest.

My excitement over young players died with 'Le Gems' & has never been revived.

Fucking waste of money & time, the two of them.

Pongolle was involved in the goals during the Olympiakos win that got us to the knockout stage of the CL

LeTallec played the pass to Garcia to thrash the ball over the despairing reach of Buffon in the CL quarter final win vs Juventus.

Long term prospects they may not have been however I'd hardly say the small transfer fees were a waste of money considering they played a part in helping us win old big ears.

Pongolle was involved in the goals during the Olympiakos win that got us to the knockout stage of the CL

LeTallec played the pass to Garcia to thrash the ball over the despairing reach of Buffon in the CL quarter final win vs Juventus.

Long term prospects they may not have been however I'd hardly say the small transfer fees were a waste of money considering they played a part in helping us win old big ears.
Ha. I don't know why I didn't realise that, I've watched 'Road to Istanbul' so many times its unhealthy.

Fair point, well made.

Wasn't there talk of reserve teams being entered into one of the lesser cup competitions only for most clubs not to bother?

You're quite right. It went tits up even before it started:

It was promoted by a Premier League spokesman as a way to “help young, talented players progress physically and mentally on top of the technical aspect of their game”, but the English Football League’s attempt to revamp the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy looks set to have angered the fans of lower-league clubs, and alienated some of the Premier League clubs it was hoping would join it. All before a ball is kicked.

The competition was due to be expanded as a trial this season to include not just the 48 clubs from League One and League Two but 16 additional “invited clubs”, entering their academy teams. Fifteen of those clubs were to come from the Premier League, with Newcastle United filling the final slot.

But of the original list of clubs invited, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur have declined the invitation. Question marks remain over the involvement of Liverpool because of concerns over the availability of Anfield, and Manchester United are also thought to be against taking part.

It is expected that the EFL will now invite Championship clubs with category one academies instead. But for lower-league fans, the fact that the EFL announced the changes without seeming to have the larger clubs fully on board will probably only increase the feeling that the changes were not fully thought through.

In addition to the “invited clubs”, the regionalised knockout format of the competition will have a group stage added to it, where games that finish in a draw will feature a penalty shootout, with the winners getting a bonus point.

The increase in the size of the competition lessens the chance of lower-league clubs getting a day out at Wembley. With 48 teams, you had a one in 24 chance of getting to the final. It is now one in 32, and that is before you consider the 16 invited clubs have, in theory, a much greater chance of getting to the final because of having bigger budgets than most lower-league clubs.

As Chris West, an AFC Wimbledon fan, points out: “I think that overall it’s a good thing to have a tournament just for lower-league teams, and providing them with a day out at Wembley and some much-needed income. Fifty-nine thousand at Wembley to watch Oxford vs Barnsley this year shows the popularity of the final. It may not be the biggest event in the calendar but for fans of teams who get to the semis and especially the final, attendances show that it matters. I look forward to the EFL defending their plan when 6,000 people are at Wembley watching Swansea reserves against Stoke reserves.”

It is the inclusion of Premier League development squads that is the main source of objection for lower-league fans. It was notable that the English Football League, in its tweets to promote the new format on Wednesday, avoided any reference to the Premier League, merely talking about “invited clubs”.

I thought Chriviella(sp) had an immence game against Hammers in the cup last year in central mid.... Next time I saw him he was utterly shite... He still There?

Ha. I don't know why I didn't realise that, I've watched 'Road to Istanbul' so many times its unhealthy.

Fair point, well made.
Christ.

You just BROKE internetting!

Youre supposed to reply 'Peter you meff, they were supposed to be the chosen ones, our Ronaldo etc, even Neil Mellor etc etc'

Not be all agreeable and shit.

You > the www

No Lallana, Sturridge, Firmino and Wijnaldum in the training pics from today.

Couldn't spot Stewart either, which is a bit strange.

Players in training pics:

Keepers: Mignolet, Karius, Manninger

Defenders: Clyne, Moreno, Matip, Klavan, Lovren, Sakho, Randall, Trent-Arnold

Midfielders: Lucas, Can, Grujic, Henderson, Ejaria

Attackers: Coutinho, Mané

Strikers: Ings, Origi

Source: http://www.gettyimages.com/photos/l...itorial&phrase=liverpool fc&sort=best#license

My guess would be that the players Klopp picks for the Derby game would be based on those who took part today.

Poo. Need to roll out my LOF subscription again ... I only used it about 4 or 5 times last season

It's not listed on my streaming site yet. It's only being shown (afaik) on a Bein multi game satellite, which I've never seen streamed on my streaming site.

Unless it's shown on a couple more stations I've not found then streams of any kind may be thin on the ground.

Firmino will be involved in the game.
Matip is great.
Sakho can go f himself.

Pretty much what the press conference was about.

Firmino will be involved in the game.
Matip is great.
Sakho can go f himself.

Pretty much what the press conference was about.

Also:

he loves the Championship and watches it loads because he's a Huddersfield fanboy

he's not very good at working the telly.

No Stewart, Arnold and Brannagan against Derby apparently. Playing for the U23s.

Grabara, Arnold, Maguire, Ilori, Whelan, Stewart, Wilson, Virtue, T Gomes, Brannagan, Woodburn.

Lol at llori.

Actually I bet he's earning great money for doing fuck all, so fuck you llori !

So he's made it to the U23s ... only a small step up to making his debut for the reserves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom