• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Covid-19 & Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
This time of year is usually tight from a cash perspective as the final slug of TV money doesn't come in until the season is over.

True, but you’d expect something coming in for at least 4 home games should we still be in Europe.

Anyway, I’d still stop Lovren’s salary.

True, but you’d expect something coming in for at least 4 home games should we still be in Europe.

Anyway, I’d still stop Lovren’s salary.
The cash flow from the Premier League is quite lumpy - they don't make payments every month. I forget the precise timings when it comes in, but it's a smaller number of larger payments rather than regular amounts, and for the bigger clubs, they can be waiting a while for quite significant sums.
For LFC, the merit income (i.e. prize money) will be significant but won't be paid until the end of the season. So when you look at our annual cashflow, it will look very healthy, but for long stretches of the year we will have had nothing in the bank and quite large bank debt to cover the timing differences.

When a business pulls some coal and iron ore out of a mine for $100, and uses it to make some steel that is worth $200, they have added value, and pay their CEO an obscene salary from the value added, as well as their staff. People have sympathy with those types of manufacturing and service industries needing help right now.

That is nothing like football at all. Footballers provide entertainment, and charge people obscene amounts to watch. There is no value added other than some advertising perhaps. It is basically just a transfer of $100 from each of their fans bank accounts into the player's own accounts. When those fans and their relatives are risking their lives or dying, yet the players still want to take the $100 just so they can donate $30 of it back to the fans, the maths doesn't quite add up. That isn't charity. It's disgusting. I can understand why the thick footballers have convinced themselves it is ethical, they have zero understanding of money, or more likely are just selfish cunts.

Right now I wouldn't even spit on Henderson if he was on fire. The idea of paying $100 for him to entertain me in the future is also out of the question. I think football is going to have the financial shock of its life if/when the new season starts.

I actually think, if they play it well, as in the TV companies don't get greedy & offer free games, or nice sign up bonuses of some description, that the appetite for footy will be fucking huge.

If they manage to get some footy on before all the other sports, & get at least some FTA, then it could actually boost their numbers.

You'd hope someone in the PFA or the PL would be thinking long term, but history tells us otherwise.

Rightly or wrongly this will be associated with all representatives of the club even though the decision was taken by people in the boardroom. Either way it's a dick move to take money from a scheme that is to help smaller business get by.

I'd say 'wrongly'. But it's important the decision gets reversed within the next day or so. After all the praise the board has been getting for the past couple of years, it's really strange that they blundered like this.

Fuck me, what a let down. The rightful condemnation Levy and his ilk were getting earlier this week now settles on LFCs shoulders. The posters on here who harp on about taxes, company size and how this is should not be a moral decision are just wrong. This is simply immoral. Right now our club have made a disgraceful decision. "This means more", more gag inducing than ever.

I'd say 'wrongly'. But it's important the decision gets reversed within the next day or so. After all the praise the board has been getting for the past couple of years, it's really strange that they blundered like this.

I'd agree. The decision will have had nothing to do with Klopp or Henderson, but fingers will be pointed at the club as a whole.

I seem to be missing something in all of this. Beamrider's post summarises how I saw the situation, but there's obviously more to it to have pissed so many of you off.

Did the club really do a terribly shameful thing here or are people overreacting a tad?

Levy didnt pay the last 20 % to the staff though, did he?
So we’re not as bad as Spurs.

Lets hope the club reverses the decision though, poor call.

I'm not offended by it. They pay tax, it's on offer to any business, so take it.

The players seem to have been supporting foodbanks etc.

I also hope when the staff do get back in, there will a sweetener waiting for them.

I'm stuck here. I mean if this was real money that could be used on other things then this would be bad. But it's magic money tree money that's just been invented under weird circumstances and there's no limit to the stuff.

I'm stuck here. I mean if this was real money that could be used on other things then this would be bad. But it's magic money tree money that's just been invented under weird circumstances and there's no limit to the stuff.
Yeah that's part of it. However, at times like this you need to play the game and I think we haven't.

Unrelated but they're even banging out YNWA here in Dutch supermarkets, it's somehow become a bit of a Corona anthem.

Yeah we definitely haven't played the game because of the PR aspect, but the actual money part of it is an emotional issue to people looking at it and a real issue to the lizards. It's not like a nurse gets it if LFC doesn't.

It's money that is printed by the BOE, and then used to buy government bonds. The government can hand the bond cash out like it is free money, but they have to pay it back upon the maturity date of the bond, and in the interim they have to pay the interest on it.

It's money that is printed by the BOE, and then used to buy government bonds. The government can hand the bond cash out like it is free money, but they have to pay it back upon the maturity date of the bond, and in the interim they have to pay the interest on it.

So our kids or grandkids will be paying this back because Clyne and Karius still get their contracts paid out but there’s no money for Jim the kit man.

Essentially yes. Although your kids will be smart enough to leave for Singapore. It will be us left behind in a dystopian apocalyptic future to see out the last days of this country.

united-kingdom-government-debt-to-gdp.png

UK Debt/GDP. After the financial crisis we ramped it up from 30% to 70%. Then instead of paying it down, we rode along with the EU up to 80%. Now compare what this current crisis is in comparison to 2007. Just think of the devastation reaped upon the economy now, compared to the handful of bank runs and bail outs back then. Now project that comparison onto the above chart. We're going to fly past 100% and be headed to 150% debt/gdp. Virtually every other country in history that has gone past 100% has declared bankruptcy and defaulted on its debt. We're going to default. Then money will leave the country in droves. The financial capital of the world will turn to dust. And we'll be scrapping around on the burned out streets feeding off rats.

I seem to be missing something in all of this. Beamrider's post summarises how I saw the situation, but there's obviously more to it to have pissed so many of you off.

Did the club really do a terribly shameful thing here or are people overreacting a tad?

The club made a 42 million profit but can’t afford the wages of the canteen staff, whilst at the same time are paying the players their full whack. It’s pretty shameful.

To add insult to injury, it seems the playing staff where blindsided by this move by fsg

I'd agree. The decision will have had nothing to do with Klopp or Henderson, but fingers will be pointed at the club as a whole.

Yes. I just found it unnecessary of Carra to make the reference to the players' gestures. Hendo is just about to launch the captains' initiative to support the NHS, and that still deserves applause rather than being dragged into this for effect. But I hope that Peter Moore is working to get the decision reversed - he seems pretty well-attuned to the local mood and I'll be hugely surprised if he hasn't already told them in Boston they've got this wrong.

One would assume Peter Moore signed off on this.

Does Tony barettt still work for the club on some pr basis.

Essentially yes. Although your kids will be smart enough to leave for Singapore. It will be us left behind in a dystopian apocalyptic future to see out the last days of this country.

united-kingdom-government-debt-to-gdp.png

UK Debt/GDP. After the financial crisis we ramped it up from 30% to 70%. Then instead of paying it down, we rode along with the EU up to 80%. Now compare what this current crisis is in comparison to 2007. Just think of the devastation reaped upon the economy now, compared to the handful of bank runs and bail outs back then. Now project that comparison onto the above chart. We're going to fly past 100% and be headed to 150% debt/gdp. Virtually every other country in history that has gone past 100% has declared bankruptcy and defaulted on its debt. We're going to default. Then money will leave the country in droves. The financial capital of the world will turn to dust. And we'll be scrapping around on the burned out streets feeding off rats.

UK debt to GDP was 250% after WW2, we didn't go bust, we built the NHS and welfare state.

If these fucking cockney gobshites filling the parks up mean I get banned from walking my dogs I can pretty much guarantee that when this all gets sorted football hooliganism will be back to 70s levels and covent garden will be getting terrorised every Saturday till the end of time

UK debt to GDP was 250% after WW2, we didn't go bust, we built the NHS and welfare state.

We didn't have floating exchange rates and globalisation in those days. Or else we certainly would have gone bust. The problem now would not be a problem if there was a global agreement to suspend the financial markets and private transactions, nationalise all the essential services, and ride out the pandemic. Then turn capitalism back on a year down the line. Money is just a way to keep score of what is a better good or service and what offers a better return. If you shut that game down, the scores don't change relative to each other. That's basically what we have after the war. The problem is when you shut 80% of your economy down, but let the other 20% carry on like we are doing. Then the score goes to shit for the majority, and a minority of industries make a killing. Total insanity. Just the type of insanity you will see when we default.

The 350 mill £ per week that Boris promised in regards to Brexit will surely help now, oh.

Yes. I just found it unnecessary of Carra to make the reference to the players' gestures. Hendo is just about to launch the captains' initiative to support the NHS, and that still deserves applause rather than being dragged into this for effect. But I hope that Peter Moore is working to get the decision reversed - he seems pretty well-attuned to the local mood and I'll be hugely surprised if he hasn't already told them in Boston they've got this wrong.

It seems that this is the way it will go, plenty of press articles this morning are alluding to the tack that it's not too late for the club to apologise and say they got it wrong. I hope we do.

You're right about Carragher, How is the respect and good will of individuals lost? I don't agree with the decision, but its myopic to think one action undoes the other. It's that sort of nonsense that results in people being selective about what the club and its people have done to help. They already are, everyone is calling us fit to burn.

A more prudent answer would have been for Carra to point out that, although he doesn't think this is a good decision, the club's leading figures have done a great deal of good to help people during the pandemic. He's gone far too negative in trying to show impartiality. The owners have got it wrong, the people who are the face of the club and understand it's community, have taken positive and productive steps in helping, that shouldn't be lost, but is in danger of being through the hysterics of people who should know better.

I'm going to go across grain a bit here.
Don't see why professional athletes at top level clubs should accept pay cuts when their profitable clubs are owned by billionaires who arent hurting.

And don't see why lizard billionaire sports club owners are different from lizard billionaire corporate owners of other kinds.

If the government made the aid package accessible by large corporations without respect to their ability to continue paying employees or without respect to their "contributions to society" that's on the government, not on the clubs.

Now if we really wanted to raise funds for a more equitable society, wealth tax the shit out of Bezos, Buffett, Gates, Murdoch, et al. But that's a different conversation altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom