• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Covid-19 & Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Villa (specifically one of our old employees Purslow) have become the first club to nail their colours to the mast before Mondays meeting.

They are voting a flat 'No' to the proposal.

Villa (specifically one of our old employees Purslow) have become the first club to nail their colours to the mast before Mondays meeting.

They are voting a flat 'No' to the proposal.
I suspect, that if they are told the only alternative is to declare the current standings to be the final table, which would result in their relegation, they might change their mind

There'll be at most 6 that vote against it.

So I reckon when they realise that they'll lose the vote, they'll ask for one or two trifling concessions about meaningless things, then change their vote, gets passed with unanimous vote & they can say they successfully negotiated for changes.

It's going to get ugly whichever way.

Those clubs are pushing for either a null and void. Or take relegation off the table.

You cant argue about the financial implications of relegation and then ignore the same impact it has if someone wins the title or not.

Yes. There is every chance of a second wave in the Autumn so any reason for not continuing this season could well be there again next season. Just how long football will have to be put on hold then becomes terminal. The clubs planning to vote against restart are not thinking about anything but their own short-term financial advantage of staying in the Prem.

Seeing as the other top leagues are about to get restarted (bar France), it will get passed in England aswell.
The alternative is ending the season as the table is now, and I doubt many clubs bar the mid table ones and top 4 are ok with that, so it wont happen.

If Germany, who have done just about everything right during this pandemic, are saying its okay under the guidelines they've set, then I'd follow them.

Seeing as the other top leagues are about to get restarted (bar France), it will get passed in England aswell.
The alternative is ending the season as the table is now, and I doubt many clubs bar the mid table ones and top 4 are ok with that, so it wont happen.

If Germany, who have done just about everything right during this pandemic, are saying its okay under the guidelines they've set, then I'd follow them.
And that's why it's so hard to get everyone to agree. There is going to be lawsuits whichever way.

Roughly it will be split as follows:

Top 8 - will want a restart
8-17 - will lean towards a finish the season as it is now if we can't get a restart.
18-20 - will want a null and void.

I hope every single club which votes null and void goes bust.

The neutral ground option is the least worst option. That will be forced by police and medical grounds. With empty stadiums there is no home advantage. Plus, I think we won’t go for the record points total. If we are having a shortened summer break we will give our stars a few extra weeks off.

The neutral ground option is the least worst option. That will be forced by police and medical grounds. With empty stadiums there is no home advantage. Plus, I think we won’t go for the record points total. If we are having a shortened summer break we will give our stars a few extra weeks off.
Yep. Once we have our two wins (will take 4 games at least imo, we're shit after a break) then the kids/ressies will be playing mostly.

That would give other teams more of a chance of beating us and staying up.

We will dress it up by saying we’re giving the likes of Elliott invaluable first team games.

And that's why it's so hard to get everyone to agree. There is going to be lawsuits whichever way.

Roughly it will be split as follows:

Top 8 - will want a restart
8-17 - will lean towards a finish the season as it is now if we can't get a restart.
18-20 - will want a null and void.

I hope every single club which votes null and void goes bust.
Well there won't be lawsuits (shouldn't be - unless a relegated team - or one missing out on Top 4/6 - jumps in with a suit because they didn't get to play their home matches, hard to see that one though as they'll lose since it was taken on police and medical advice) if the season is finished so no, not either way !

How many weeks off do they need ! They've just had 3 months off on full pay. They are no different to the rest of the working population. these guys are fully rested - and in all likelihood there'll be another round or two of quarantining to come.

I said TV companies would try this. Embarrassing stuff. Good job I watch with the sound down these days.

Fake crowd noise to whip up an atmosphere . . . and mask swearing

Tom Roddy, Gary Jacob
Thursday May 07 2020, 12.01am, The Times

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F5f9db82c-8fcf-11ea-866d-11e3826964c3.jpg

Sport’s return has brought cheerleaders to stadiums in Korea
KIM HONG-JI/REUTERS

All 200 remaining Premier League and Championship matches are set to be broadcast live, but how will the action behind closed doors look to the viewing public at home?

Broadcasters Sky and BT will meet next week to discuss enhancing the viewing experience. Piping artificial crowd noise into grounds had initially been ruled out but that option is being reconsidered over concerns that viewers will be able to hear players swearing.

Clive Tyldesley, the commentator, has first-hand experience of broadcasting from an empty stadium having worked at the Nations League game between England and Croatia in October 2018, which was held behind closed doors.

“There was a lot of noise from the field,” Tyldesley said. “We had to apologise a couple of times for football’s favourite adjective being voiced audibly. But I guess the players needed to generate their own nervous energy, which was missing without the presence of supporters.

“I recall Jordan Henderson [the England midfielder] was the main event. He is the model professional and so as a leader within the team he probably felt a natural responsibility to whip everybody up, to find that extra energy that playing in front of a crowd brings.”

Another discussion believed to be taking place among broadcasters is the use of computer-generated imagery to create a crowd in the terraces. The more analogue option of cardboard cutout fans — already being used by Borussia Mönchengladbach in Germany — has also been raised by clubs.

Finishing the season at neutral grounds would remove clubs’ control over the atmosphere but some teams are already discussing innovations that could be introduced next season should matches remain behind closed doors but back at home venues.

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fe12ea66c-8fcf-11ea-866d-11e3826964c3.jpg

Empty seats at the Happy Dream Ballpark in Incheon, South Korea, are covered with pictures of supporters
CHUNG SUNG-JUN/GETTY

Some have considered dressing up their terraces with banners and Wolverhampton Wanderers have discussed the possibility of playing video messages from fans in the tunnel and pitchside at Molineux.

Manchester United have canvassed their employees for ways to compensate for the lack of crowds, while tech companies are contacting clubs with ideas on how to generate authentic atmospheres.

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F06417970-8fd0-11ea-866d-11e3826964c3.jpg

In Europe fans may be able to control crowd noise on apps

Beyond 90, a Manchester-based business that organises fan parks, has proposed a fan studio where between 50 and 200 supporters, who will follow social distancing, could watch games, with their reactions broadcast into the ground. No club has agreed to this.

German company hack-CARE has suggested clubs use their app, MyApplause, which allows fans to send live virtual reactions to the stadium. Users are able to cheer, clap, sing or jeer, but more than one club told The Times yesterday that they would not want to create even more of a false environment given how alien the experience will already be for players.

Tyldesley believes that players, commentators, viewers and listeners will get used to the different atmosphere. “It may take a while to accept this new reality,” he said, “but I think we will get there in the end.”

How does voting in the premier League work ? Majority rules or ?

I can't see why any safe teams would vote for resumption for the cash money money so that only leaves a handful of sides vulnerable to relegation who would vote against it ?

No lose situation surely ?

How does voting in the premier League work ? Majority rules or ?

I can't see why any safe teams would vote for resumption for the cash money money so that only leaves a handful of sides vulnerable to relegation who would vote against it ?

No lose situation surely ?
Needs a minimum of 14 votes to carry.

There'll be a maximum of 6 no's I reckon, in which case they'll almost all switch to yes for the final vote simply so it doesn't look like they're on the losing side. There'll be a lot of egos in there.

Whilst the fan applause idea sounds OK in theory, factor in a four to five second delay from ground to screen (it's usually 3/4 simply to live broadcast so I'm being generous) & 4/5 delay in broadcasting it back, & you have a lag of almost ten seconds, that would exceptionally strange for the players.

If they wanted to go down that route, perhaps a better idea would be to have 'canned' clips, so generic crowd noise throughout, then applause, or gasps etc available to producers to hit at the appropriate moment. Almost instant & much less weird, but I'm not sold on that either.

How many weeks off do they need ! They've just had 3 months off on full pay. They are no different to the rest of the working population. these guys are fully rested - and in all likelihood there'll be another round or two of quarantining to come.

It’s hardly 3 months off. Sitting round your house only going to the shop isn’t the same. We’ll have 9 games in 6 weeks and most likely a 2 week gap to the following season. Let’s maximise our rest and recuperation as much as possible to be in prime condition for what will be an intense 2 seasons.

The Dutch still named positions. It was not voided. They called it off recognising the current positions as final.

Their decision to not promote or relegate teams has started a lot of shit.

Whilst the fan applause idea sounds OK in theory, factor in a four to five second delay from ground to screen (it's usually 3/4 simply to live broadcast so I'm being generous) & 4/5 delay in broadcasting it back, & you have a lag of almost ten seconds, that would exceptionally strange for the players.

If they wanted to go down that route, perhaps a better idea would be to have 'canned' clips, so generic crowd noise throughout, then applause, or gasps etc available to producers to hit at the appropriate moment. Almost instant & much less weird, but I'm not sold on that either.

It reminds me of that great scene in Annie Hall, where a proud TV producer is showing Alvy Singer his machine that produces a wide range of canned laughter and applause ('...and this is a medium-sized chuckle...'), and Alvy rubs his face and says, 'Have you got booing in that?'

When Hendo gets his fuck-fuck-fucks going, the poor bloke with his finger on Sky's happy-clappy button will start suffering from repetitive strain injury!

The Dutch still named positions. It was not voided. They called it off recognising the current positions as final.

This is when the mafia starts seeming like a good idea. Someone needs to call round the dissident clubs, late at night, and basically say: 'Look, mate, you vote to end the season and far from saving your club from relegation you'll only have succeeded in fucking it into oblivion!' And in Purslow's case, they can go the whole hog and break his fecking legs!.

Either do what France did and inevitably crown us champions & relegate Norwich or do what Germany are going to do and carry on like grown
professionals.

So they didn’t crown Champions or relegate anyone. Void in all but name.

This is when the mafia starts seeming like a good idea. Someone needs to call round the dissident clubs, late at night, and basically say: 'Look, mate, you vote to end the season and far from saving your club from relegation you'll only have succeeded in fucking it into oblivion!' And in Purslow's case, they can go the whole hog and break his fecking legs!.

Those are the 2 options.

1. Play out the season in neutral venues
2. We will call it as it is relegate those in the bottom 3 as it is or on ppg. Those miss out on the final tranche of premier league money plus end up in the abyss that is the championship.

So they didn’t crown Champions or relegate anyone. Void in all but name.

It wasn’t voided. That’s the point. We can’t avoid relegation as there is a legal agreement between the Football league and Premier league. Teams will have to go down. Or the league will be subject to lawsuits for 100s of millions.

I'm only okay with this if the gasping comes from clips from the Jerry Springer show.

Those are the 2 options.

1. Play out the season in neutral venues
2. We will call it as it is relegate those in the bottom 3 as it is or on ppg. Those miss out on the final tranche of premier league money plus end up in the abyss that is the championship.

Yes, and the relegated ones shouldn't get any parachute money either. That would suddenly spark a rethink on their part!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom