• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Covid-19 & Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been playing FIFA 19 to get me by. It's nit great but playing online and getting battered every game has it's uses.

When I do take the lead in a game I get properly excited, then go full Rafa and put everyone behind the ball.

God, I hope the football comes back soon.

I bet Woy Hodgsons approach to saving the planet is going around in the streets wearing only his slippers, shouting at the virus to go home.

We should all get down on our knees and thank this magnificent man for what he's doing to combat Covid-19. He is super-intelligent and incredibly brave. While all of us are cowering behind closed doors, Woy is out there in the open, all on his own, personally killing the virus bit by bit.

What he does is this: he breaks into Palace's ground, sits in his usual dugout, and then, with ice-cold courage, he waits for the virus to creep up on him from behind and, just as it reaches the back of his head - bang! - he backwards headbuts it into oblivion. The man is worthy of a Michael Ball single.

RoyHodgson-banging-head-wall-WestBrom-1325527686t.gif

Keep going, Woy. I've painted you a rainbow.

Belarus are playing apparently.

Games today. Gonna knock off the decorating early today & catch the 3pm game I reckon.

"Shame" as in "shame on them!" (in a social distancing nazi type attitude) or as in "shame that I missed an opportunity to catch some dodgy Belarusian streams of live football"
The latter. Although the first would have been more socially responsible of me, that's for damn sure.

In that case I concur. I'm all for being socially responsible, but I've grown to despise what I call "Social Distancing Nazis"

The debate has become too polarized ... you are either violently in favour of the project restart proposals in their entirety or violently opposed. Liverpool fans are clearly in the former camp.
But the watford chairman makes a good point - why can't the matches be played behind closed doors in the regular grounds?
To get anything working and safe will take monumental effort, allowing it to happen in club stadiums isn't that much more effort. And it has the added benefit of taking away the excuse from those clubs whose real point is "we don't want to be relegated"

I’m all for playing home and away if possible. It would be safe to do so according to a former senior officer at the West Yorkshire police. But we know what they’re like.

The debate has become too polarized ... you are either violently in favour of the project restart proposals in their entirety or violently opposed. Liverpool fans are clearly in the former camp.
But the watford chairman makes a good point - why can't the matches be played behind closed doors in the regular grounds?
To get anything working and safe will take monumental effort, allowing it to happen in club stadiums isn't that much more effort. And it has the added benefit of taking away the excuse from those clubs whose real point is "we don't want to be relegated"
Because inner city and 'home' grounds will cause crowds to form outside of them. As we saw in France and Spain before the lockdown.

That's why they aren't under consideration.

Belarus are playing apparently.

Games today. Gonna knock off the decorating early today & catch the 3pm game I reckon.
Belarus never stopped.

You must be very desperate to watch a crappy stream, probably not even English commentary of a Belarussian game.

Yes - So much of what surrounds the game just turns my stomach. I know I would have stopped watching by now if it hadn't been for Klopp. He is a breath of fresh air in a fetid morass. From January I had this season down as my last being really involved and bothered. Either we were going to blow it in a historic way, in which case I could not recover interest again, or we would win it, and I could walk off into the sunset.
The hypocrisy, self-interest and spite shown during the lock down just make me realise even more that the working class game I used to love has become the trophy-case symbol of all that is poisonous in society.
Call it null and void, play it out, award positions as they are now, I'm not that bothered.

Dynamo Dresden puts entire squad in quarantine after 2 players test positive.

First game postponed.

Bit drastic.

Yeah, I thought most people would hate it. Surprised at the reception
I mean I always enjoy your writing anyway but there were plenty of good points in there and I think right now everyone is super pissed off with football voices more than ever cos they're seen to be full of shit and there's no actual football to distract from it

And people don't think with the retards we have over here there won't be anyone associated with the league, the TV, the security, the medical staff, the 20 clubs, the hospitality, the accommodation etc etc that won't test positive at some point when/if the league resumes?

As soon as one person tests positive, it all grinds to a halt again and casts doubt over the whole thing running again.

Cannot see it working one bit here.

Yes - So much of what surrounds the game just turns my stomach. I know I would have stopped watching by now if it hadn't been for Klopp. He is a breath of fresh air in a fetid morass. From January I had this season down as my last being really involved and bothered. Either we were going to blow it in a historic way, in which case I could not recover interest again, or we would win it, and I could walk off into the sunset.
The hypocrisy, self-interest and spite shown during the lock down just make me realise even more that the working class game I used to love has become the trophy-case symbol of all that is poisonous in society.
Call it null and void, play it out, award positions as they are now, I'm not that bothered.

Now that I think about it, there is something symbolic about the way this season is limping to the finish line. We’ve waited 30 years for the title, lived and suffered through untold disappointments along the way - and finally the lottery lady has announced our number. Everything came together with the owners, Klopp, Salah, Mane, Van Dijk, Hendo, Milner, Robbo, Trent - each one was like drawing a lucky ticket and we’ve drawn them all one after the other. Suddenly possibly the strongest team in our history has been assembled, it was like something of a comic book. All the rivals were vanquished, the haters humbled, the good guys won.

And then just as we’re about to uncork the champagne and start the biggest party in the history of the Earth, the walls of our cocoon have crumbled and it turned out you can’t win the battle within a made-up world while the larger outside world is rapidly going to shit. Maybe it’s this cognitive dissonance that made the walls cave in. In a world that made less and less sense, football was one of the few places where skill, humility and teamwork could still possibly triumph over big money – Klopp’s team has proven that – but the same societal ills that have infected football were also at fault for the catastrophic failure to stop an actual infection. So now that the cocoon is destroyed, maybe it’s time to climb out of the rubble and start playing the big game.

Last edited:
Here's an idea.

Scrap neutral venues, games played as normal home and away BCD and 6 teams go down and 6 come up.

Let's see how they take that.

Fucking cunts....they talk about protecting the integrity of the prem but all they care about is saving their sorry little arses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom