• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Dalglish on Maxi

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=refugee link=topic=47787.msg1439167#msg1439167 date=1323180059]
[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=47787.msg1439162#msg1439162 date=1323179638]
I don't believe Kenny is desperate to sell Maxi. For what purpose?

You'd get little for him, he's not on high wages and he is still performing.
[/quote]

I haven't checked, but I assumed his wages would be quite high as he came on a free? He has spent money on wide players and they are going to get preference and its almost always the previous managers players that are forced out as a new manager tries to shape his team (and they will have to reduce the wage bill to comply with the new financial regulations).

EDIT: 90k reported here
http://www.1000goals.com/liverpool-must-cut-their-wages

and here
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/David-Maddock-on-Liverpool-Joe-Cole-Alberto-Aquilani-Maxi-Rodriguez-Cristian-Poulsen-Philipp-Degen-and-the-unlucky-13-costing-30m-a-year-that-Kenny-Dalglish-must-somehow-ship-out-before-buying-article746963.html
[/quote]

yeah, but you've got to factor in approx £5m of saved fees we're not paying out. £5m over 3.5 yrs is £1.4m a year. £1.4m a year is £28k a week. so if his actual salary is £90k a wk then - at an estimated tfr value in jan 2010 of £5m - his effective wage rate is £62k a week.

[quote author=Red Mullet link=topic=47787.msg1439172#msg1439172 date=1323181221]
I would have thought Kenny was going to get Maxi on but, after Spearing got sent off, decided Kuyt would be a better 'defender' with his running and tracking back.

Just a thought.
[/quote]

Good point, and he was warming up just before Spearing got sent off.

[quote author=gkmacca link=topic=47787.msg1439174#msg1439174 date=1323181509]
I've seen a few games - too many, in fact - when Maxi has started and been infuriatingly ineffectual. And one or two when he's come on and not done much. Those memories stop me from ever feeling THAT optimistic about him. When he has had a great match I've been delighted but also mildly incredulous. So I don't feel remotely amazed that Kenny is cautious about using him. Then again, I realise, in this current context, that, until Maxi starts again and does nothing, he's the Great Good Thing, so all power to the exasperatingly mercurial talent.
[/quote]

Rinse and repeat with an endless string of players.

However in saying that, he has been scoring and the team haven't so for once the forum have good cause to champion an often ineffective player.

I've never been crazy about Maxi. For a while there I thought he milked that World Cup goal v. Mexico for all it was worth. We kept him on the team, anonymous as he was, and I didn't see the point.

BUT for about a year he's worked well with Suarez etc up front, put away easy goals (being honest, he did miss sitter after sitter a while back), has always swept in to clean up dropped shots, and has added to our play. He has won us games. By scoring goals. In our position, we shouldn't take that shit (aka scoring goals, winning) lightly.

I don't want to pit one player against another, but if the choice is an attack with Maxi or an attack with Carroll, it has to be Maxi. Blah blah I hope Carroll becomes a legend, etc etc. But the kid doesn't even have a terrible first touch, he has an invisible first touch. I was infuriated watching him yesterday. When the ball comes to him, it should reasonably be his, he lumbers into position and in that long-fucking-protracted moment a Fulham player nicks it. It's not even a fucking first touch! He loses the ball at the exact moment he has it! It's fucking counter to the laws of physics!!! It's both at his feet and not in his possession! WTF? No amount of playing time will fix stupid.

Probably being harsh/absurd. Anyway, play Maxi so we can win and stuff.

[quote author=ElMalarkey link=topic=47787.msg1439193#msg1439193 date=1323183189]
It's both at his feet and not in his possession!
[/quote]

It's funny coz it's true.

Anyways I'm gutted today. We got three major decisions against us but I still think that the game could be won if we could just convert the odd chance - or not either sell or drop are best players. I think I need to think about something else, this is just making me ponder the futility of everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom