• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

England vs Italy : Euro 2020 Final. 20.00 BST London

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should add pressure when they're practicing penalties so they know who can handle it. Some kind of contraption that involves unleashing a polar bear.
Haha I was considering what they could realisticly do. I was thinking money but you're suggestion is way better.

I wanted to give Saka a hug. Felt really bad for Rashford, seems like a good fella. Don't know much about Sancho, but never nice for the individual. Was a bit conflicted. Would've been better for Kane and Maguire to miss, and Pickford to let all the penalties in. But again, a sacrifice was necessary...

Saka and Southgate are getting a bit too much attention. In the case of Southgate, rightfully so. The real turning point was the Rashford penalty. When you do something that dramatic and elaborate, make sure you put the ball in the net. You could feel the England head going after that miss. Same as the Pirlo panenka in Euro 2012. England were on the up at that time and Pirlo's penalty and the manner played a big role.

Yep. I pointed this out but some people didn't want to hear / believe it. Just watching a rerun would have shown this. It wasn't an opinion.

I don't think the issue is grealish being a shithouse, the issue is why the fuck would you put a 19 year old on the most important penalty, when he's never played a game even close to this level of pressure. Grealish should have been higher, and grealish should have fought to be higher on the list when in the training camp.

Just because the penalty takers order isn't decided there and then, Doesn't mean grealish couldn't have impacted the managers thinking

I don't think the issue is grealish being a shithouse, the issue is why the fuck would you put a 19 year old on the most important penalty, when he's never played a game even close to this level of pressure. Grealish should have been higher, and grealish should have fought to be higher on the list when in the training camp.

Just because the penalty takers order isn't decided there and then, Doesn't mean grealish couldn't have impacted the managers thinking
Yeah let's think for a while about how that would have played out in that huddle.

Yeah let's think for a while about how that would have played out in that huddle.

Could it have been worse? 3 penalty takers, 2 of which Southgate specifically brought on, and the other a 19 year old kid who had a mixed game. Surely some off the cuff decision making is appropriate.

And also, who's saying in a huddle? Grealish could have gone to Southgate in the office, or pulled him to one side and showed belief in his own abilities. They're not camping out on the training ground for 4 days waiting for the final.

To be fair I can imagine Southgate, as laborious and as regimented as he is, probably set his penalty takers back in May and darent change his mind, as that's when you begin to have a personality.

True, however, it is 2 more than Grealish.

In his defence, he did score a pen 5 years ago in the high pressure world of PL2.

Screenshot_20210712-171351_Chrome.jpg

To be blatantly honest I loved England losing on pens solely because all the pundits did their usual spiel of "it's a lottery" but then following it up with "Gareth would have run these drills constantly".

Pens are an untameable beast. They're 90% mentality and 10% ability. He fucked this team over pretty much from the start with inward, negative football.

I thought I made it clear. IMHO he's a coward because he reverted to 5-2-3 after starting 4-2-1-3 all tournament. Very negative, it's obvious we'd end up with 5 at the back and two defensive midfielders surrendering possession. I said as much in the opening post.
He actually went on to defend himself against this accusation later.

Didn't he play 5 at the back against Germany? Successfully too. So it wasn't "all tournament".

Didn't he play 5 at the back against Germany? Successfully too. So it wasn't "all tournament".

That game was more down to the German profligacy than it was England though. The stats bellends best friend of "expected goals" showed that a poor German side created more and should have scored more than England that day.

Grealish scored his only penalty.. so it's actually a 0% failure rate.

Yea, I got caught between trying to say two things. And fucked it up.

As someone else pointed out, Grealish’s only pen scored is in premier league 2 or something shite. Sterling has scored pens in the prem and at international level.

Could it have been worse? 3 penalty takers, 2 of which Southgate specifically brought on, and the other a 19 year old kid who had a mixed game. Surely some off the cuff decision making is appropriate.

And also, who's saying in a huddle? Grealish could have gone to Southgate in the office, or pulled him to one side and showed belief in his own abilities. They're not camping out on the training ground for 4 days waiting for the final.

To be fair I can imagine Southgate, as laborious and as regimented as he is, probably set his penalty takers back in May and darent change his mind, as that's when you begin to have a personality.
I think your final sentence addresses the question.

However let's be serious - why would any player make an issue of it? If they have said their piece (and it seems e.g. Grealish, possibly had already done that, judging from his tweet, maybe others too) why would they keep on pressuring the manager (and not only him as I guess it was a joint decision with his sidekick, the Newcastle coach?) ... to say nothing about the player not even being sure of being on the pitch.

But yeah ... your last sentence nailed it.

You are right and I misread that - I actually listed the starting teams on P2 (post #28) of this thread. Because Shaw is listed so far down the list I missed it !
Sos yeah, he did.

Starting line-up vs Germany : Pickford; Walker, Maguire, Stones; Trippier, Phillips, Rice, Shaw; Saka, Kane, Sterling

Last edited:
Should have given Rashard, Grealish and Sancho the second half of extra time at least. Kane, Sterling, Saka had long expired and not to bring on Rashford, Grealish and Sancho as replacements against the blatantly tired ageing Italian defence was criminal ---- at least for the last 15 minutes....instead all Rashford got was a right-back tackle and a penalty miss.

I hope United go from Ole to Sir Wastecoat so that I get to enjoy more of seeing Sancho as a super-sub and Rashford at right-back :)

This is spot on and a really good listen. Haven't really been paying much attention to the English media since after the game, but they could do with such an honest assessment. Southgate has too many defenders in the English media.

I don't know what point you're trying to make, but he took the 5th one and Southgate clearly decided on that. Whether you think it was the right decision or wrong decision is irrelevant as to whether the manager went with that line of thinking.

If three of his five penalty takers were Saka, Rashford and Sancho, whatever order he'd have done it in we could pick the bones out of. You always want to make sure you score the first one, so you're not under pressure straight away, so Kane taking it was a logical choice. Ideally Rashford should have taken the 5th, but it's done now. It was a bad decision, but it clearly was the managers shout even if it backfired.

And the racist idiots on Twitter need hanging out to dry. Oh, and we can do without classless pricks like Dantes coming on here giving it "ahahahahaha". Go fuck yourself Dantes.

My point was that Southgate said he picked his 5 spot kick takers after they performed well in training.
Which I find insanely odd given the one who took the last pen is 19 years old and has taken 1 pen in PL2 so far in his career.
Thats why I said Southgate is a fucking moron.

Is this next season the one that's disrupted by the winter world cup right?

Nope - AFCON & England’s inevitable impending winter lockdown.

It’s the season after that that’s winter World Cup.

So we’ll have to wait years for a non-shitshow season.

Mmmmm, yummy. Extra pineapple please.

I saw a picture of a pizza with kiwi fruit on it the other day.

At this point I should make it clear that I don’t endorse kiwi fruit on pizza, nor did I eat said pizza, take the photo or am associated with said pizza in any way, shape, form or manner.

Anyway.... here it is to get outraged!!!

Just not at me... this is not my fault!!!!

upload_2021-7-13_13-2-48.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom