• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

England Vs South Africa - Cricket Tour 2012

We seem to have quite a few young talented middle order batsman (Vince, Buttler, Bairstow, Taylor and Morgan), now that Strauss has quit it highlights how few openers we have to pick from.

Is he not mate (I've seen him open for Yorkshire quite a bit over recent seasons) ?

Anyways.....i've just seen that he's all but 29, so maybe not the best lad to bring into the side.

Whats Root like? I've heard a fair bit about him, but every time i've seen him play he's got out cheaply.
I think Yorkshire's current openers are Jaques and Lyth, with Root the next most likely, and I'd have Lyth ahead of Gale - though both are past being young prospects. I always saw Gale as a #5 - a little more flamboyant, able to get runs in a hurry. I think Root is making decent progress, but would like to see a little more consistency before asking him to step up. Hales, I think, is that step further in his development, and is higher in the pecking order.

Bopara's bowling looks innocuous but he usually ends up with good figures. It's a good reason for picking him.

Well played to England - they made it hard on themselves at the end. Trott may be the most boring athlete in the history of sports mind.

Some people may suggest that Trott is not suited to limited-overs cricket because he is not the fastest scorer. However, Trott's usefulness depends very much on the situation. If the opposition has made a big score on a friendly batting wicket and England need to score fast in a run-chase, Trott can be a bit of a liability and I have sometimes found myself wishing he would get out! On the other hand, if it's not such a good wicket and you need someone to hold the innings together, Trott is ideal. He doesn't give his wicket away without a struggle. On balance I think Trott is well worth his place.

For sure Portly. Excellent player. I agree his rate at times is a little frustrated but if he can pop up with 60 from 80 or 90 from 110 balls id take it everytime because we have Morgan and others who can bat at a great strikerate.

Ahhhh. Talking about cricket is so civil unlike the hooligan game called football.

Same on RAWK mate. Their football section (like here too a bit) full of whoopers but the cricket threads on their are normally quality...quite possibly because I frequent them.

Bowling Ravi. Cleans up Amla who was dropped earlier and should have been given out LBW earlier. You make your own luck I suppose but he must have been dropped 4 or 5 times this summer and has added over 500 after being dropped this tour. Mad really but great batsmen use the chances their given to full effect.

England well on top.

Trott and Bell going steady but doing what is needed. That said Bell has played a couple of beautiful shots.

#1 in the world till next year.

All England today. Bowled well and batted a wise innings.

On to Trent Bridge.

South Africa have been very poor the last two games, but take nothing away from England. They've done what is needed. They deserve their #1 ranking.

Lost the #1 spot to SA and now got it back within 2 games. Kudos England!
(see no angst ridden post here. so peaceful)

I thought we were going to blow that yesterday when we kept on dropping those chances at the start. That South African ODI batting line-up looks very weak when you get past Smith, Amla and AB.

England have performed well in the ODI's but England fans need to remember that we have been "enjoying" English conditions. The bowlers in particular are likely to struggle when they get to the Sub-Continent! :eek:

I usually fear a complete humping when we travel to the sub continent mate, but i'm a little more hopeful this time around (emphasis on the 'little'). When we played Pakistan recently our bowling department stood up very well, and really it was our batting that let us down. If we can get KP back in the mix with a point to prove, that will be a huge bonus.

We're still the underdogs imo, but i'd suggest it might be closer than past series have tended to be.

I usually fear a complete humping when we travel to the sub continent mate, but i'm a little more hopeful this time around (emphasis on the 'little'). When we played Pakistan recently our bowling department stood up very well, and really it was our batting that let us down. If we can get KP back in the mix with a point to prove, that will be a huge bonus.

We're still the underdogs imo, but i suggest it might be closer than past series have tended to be.

I agree the bowlers did better than expected - particularly Jimmy Anderson. I had feared for him because I think of him as a bowler who needs some help from the wicket. Finn is a bowler you would expect to do well because he is that bit faster and bangs the ball in using his height.

Yeah he surprised me too, I thought he'd get smacked all over the place over there. I'd probably go in with Finn, Jimmy, Broad and Swann, although i have my doubts about 2 of them.

I see Broad made the test team of the year again. He's been a big disappointment against the South Africans this summer, so we need him to fire up again and find some of that missing pace.

Swann: He's going to have to play, but i'm a little worried about his form + the fact that the Indians seem to destroy the vast majority of spinners that they come up against on their patch.

Last time i checked the Kiwi's were holding their own in the second test, so if they can do it...............................................

The thing about the Kiwis is that they are always a lot better than you are expecting them to be! Underestimate the black caps at your peril.

Back
Top Bottom