• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

England Vs South Africa - Cricket Tour 2012

FOX! Stay in the thread, you're the only thing standing in the way of a miraculous win for England.

Please STAY IN THE THREAD.

If we don't win this now, England fully deserve to keep their #1 ranking.

And on that note, I'm leaving work so will probably miss the end - whatever it will be. Enjoy.

Well I'm back home now and all I can say is that was one of the best days cricket I've seen (live) And believe me I've been to many. Great entertainment. Swanny's 6 and then Prior reverse sweeping for four twice in the over were a joy. His second landed right in front of me. Credit to SA though - They fully deserved their new number 1 status. Philander is a hell of a player and it's always a pleasure to see Kallis (what a catch for Trott's wicket btw)

Oh and I went to three days all in - 2 at the oval and today at Lords and I met quite a few SA fans and they were all sound. All of them hated KP tho :D

A few points:

1) I think, as RA mentions, Philander has 'arrived' officially. He's proven he's very good with the bat and his bowling has been at a good to excellent level throughout the series. Big Vern ... What a player.
2) I think Finn is close to arrival too - I liked what I saw of him.
3) Strauss wasn't himself - not sure if it's KP related or whatever, but he was invisible in this series.
4) I hope South Africa can maintain the grip on #1 for as long as England did ...
5) I'm really going to miss Kallis when he retires. Simply a phenom - and he'll play for 2-3 more years I think. He fields, he bowls, he hits with the best of them. Man what a privilege to have seen this lad since his early years.

A few points:

4) I hope South Africa can maintain the grip on #1 for as long as England did ...

Kirsten managed to hang on to Number 1 spot for a lot longer with the Indian team......have faith.

I think we are going to see a clear number 1 team for a period of at least two to three years till the likes of Kallis and Smith hang up their boots. I wasn't convinced by England occupying the number one slot at all, but S.A have real strength, class and talent in that starting line-up.

That said, if S.A lose to Australia next....Australia will be number 1 ranked...

Kirsten managed to hang on to Number 1 spot for a lot longer with the Indian team......have faith.

I think we are going to see a clear number 1 team for a period of at least two to three years till the likes of Kallis and Smith hang up their boots. I wasn't convinced by England occupying the number one slot at all, but S.A have real strength, class and talent in that starting line-up.

That said, if S.A lose to Australia next....Australia will be number 1 ranked...
Hmmmm not sure if I agree with that. They fully deserved their number 1 status. Beating Australia (twice) and India will do that. The batsman under performed for sure. The KP thing was a distraction. They will be back for sure. Although next series is in India in November *gulp*

Fair play to the South Africans, they deserved to win the series. When do we tour their place?

Here are the upcoming series:
India v England, Oct 2012 - Jan 2013
Australia v South Africa, Nov - Dec 2012
South Africa v New Zealand, Dec 2012 - Jan 2013
Australia v Sri Lanka, Dec 2012 - Jan 2013
South Africa v Pakistan, Jan - Mar 2013
Australia v West Indies, Jan - Feb 2013
New Zealand v England, Feb - Mar 2013
England v New Zealand, May - June 2013
England v Australia (The Ashes), June - Sep 2013

test cricket is just great ... anyone who complains about it just doesn't get it ... i mean, this test had everything .... it felt like a T20 today at times - fucking great testament to the sport.

Hmmmm not sure if I agree with that. They fully deserved their number 1 status. Beating Australia (twice) and India will do that. The batsman under performed for sure. The KP thing was a distraction. They will be back for sure. Although next series is in India in November *gulp*

Not what i meant. They deserved the ranking for sure. I just wasn't convinced that they were the clear best team around.

Since becoming number 1...England have Played 11 won 3, drawn 2 and lost 6...Which emphasizes that point. They have a good team, and in good form it is capable of rising up to number 1 spot....but they don't have the players to stay in that number one spot. S.A do....in my opinion only of course...

Here are the upcoming series:
India v England, Oct 2012 - Jan 2013
Australia v South Africa, Nov - Dec 2012
South Africa v New Zealand, Dec 2012 - Jan 2013
Australia v Sri Lanka, Dec 2012 - Jan 2013
South Africa v Pakistan, Jan - Mar 2013
Australia v West Indies, Jan - Feb 2013
New Zealand v England, Feb - Mar 2013
England v New Zealand, May - June 2013
England v Australia (The Ashes), June - Sep 2013

Thats a hell of a lot of cricket.

So, on to the ODI.
Any predictions for the remaining 4 games?

I was disappointed that the first ODI was rained off, as I was all prepared for a day on the couch watching the cricket. When it was reduced to a 23-over game, I was apprehensive, because England would have been playing what was virtually a Twenty/20 match with a 50-over batting line-up. So from the point of view of England's chances of winning the series, it was probably a good thing that the rain came down again and the match had to be abandoned.

I don't have a clue how the remaining 4 games are going to pan out, although I do think that Morkel, although a wicket-taking bowler, usually gives plenty of deliveries for the batsmen to score off.

I realize that the IPL is T20 but last year Morkel's economy was respectable at 7.19. For reference, Kallis was 7.46 and Steyn 6.10.
More to your point, Steyn gave up 285 in 12 innings, Kallis 403 in 16 and Morkel 453 in 16.

Amla whips four more through the on-side to take him to 3,000 ODI runs. His reached the milestone in 57 matches - the quickest yet, some dozen innings less than the great Viv Richards.

Back
Top Bottom