• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

English Cricket/ *The Ashes*!

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=41229.msg1234542#msg1234542 date=1292535459]
England will make 350 on that deck.
[/quote]

Before lunch, you mean?? ;D

[quote author=Peatcheo link=topic=41229.msg1234617#msg1234617 date=1292539001]
Whats going on with Ponting!?
[/quote]

I'm with KJ on this one. He's been rather unlucky for the most part. He's played some decent shots, got his feet moving well, and looked in reasonable touch, but he's been got out with some unbelievably good bowling and fielding - that sometimes you just can't do anything about.

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=41229.msg1234475#msg1234475 date=1292523337]

KJ you really love these Ozzies don't you? To the point of delusion perhaps.
[/quote]

It's astonishing. Maybe he sees a different Australian side from the one we're watching. Good on him for a bit of faith anyway!

Th way some of Australia's top order handed their wickets away so fucking cheaply yesterday is terribly infuriating. Hussey was the only one who consistently let everything go through to the keeper that was short of a length. The rest fo the them were fucking prodding around like idiots, flailing away at things they should never have gone near.

[/quote]

I don't really support Australian Cricket. I'm pretty much a neutral who loves to support the underdog. I want to see a good fight between the teams more than anything. I'm kind of in a bit of disbelief how a line-up consisting of Ponting, Clarke and Hussey can fail repeatedly. My thought process is that it is a bit of an anomaly that will be corrected sooner than latter.

Ponting is ponting. England don't have a batsman who can lace his boots.
Clarke - He has averaged over 50 since 2005, in every year upto 2010. Which England batsman has done that?
Hussey - He has a ridiculous average in Australia. I think about 70 runs per innings.
Johnson - Was one of the premier strike bowlers till about last year. He still has a better record than England's best fast bowlers, i think.
The likes of Bollinger, Siddle etc are proven and competent bowlers who have suddenly and inexplicably become pie-chuckers.

I'm in a bit of disbelief how they can all lose form at exactly the same time. This didn't start in the Ashes. They were horrible in India. They were horrible against Pakistan in England. They lost to Sri Lanka in the odi series in Australia as well.

I really don't buy into this belief that England are a class above Australia. They have the measure of Australia in terms of form... sure, but spin is the only area where England are a class (or several) above Australia. In a series as historic as this ,the form book always gets ignored. Thats what i thought, and i'm hoping there is a fight back. If it doesn't happen in this test i'm pretty sure ill lose interest in following this series. There is no fun in watching a dead snake get beaten up.

Clarke and Ponting tried to hit their way out of trouble, and their wickets were entirely avoidable. They shouldn't have been chasing those balls. Hughes' was an ugly shot to get out too, but he had to play that ball. He should have offered the full face of the bat instead of trying to play it onside. They need to show more application in the second dig. But before that the bowlers need to challenge the English batsman. I think they will...lets see. Australia can still fight for a victory in this Test. 260+ is not really a terrible score. It's game on if England can be dismissed for anything less than 350.

[quote author=Portly link=topic=41229.msg1234652#msg1234652 date=1292546837]
[/quote]

Before lunch, you mean?? ;D
[/quote]

Yeah, i forgot to add "minimum" to the end of my sentence.

98/4 ----yeah baby! Top 4 gone...

Collingwood and Bell on the rescue mission.

I especially rate Collingwood in pressure situations! He needs to go for Australia to have a sniff at the tail.

It seems he will get that 5-for after all...

When Johnson gets that swing going....he is some bowler!

It's a shame that after years in international cricket, he still doesn't understand his action well enough to control that swing. He has candidly admitted as much...

How long before lunch?

I don't think Prior can handle a fresh onslaught by the quartet. I don't rate him much as a batsman. I have never seen anything special from him. Can he change that?

His action has been rectified by the simples of things; A straighter run-up, and following through with his run down the wicket.

It's a night and day difference between the run-up he was using in Brisbane and the one he's got going here.

Now watch this little Sherminator cunt straight bat everything for the next 6 hours. He'll come away with 17 not out off 4000 balls or something.

I think it will defi last 5 days, unless Swann has a big say about that tomorrow. The quicks, i presume will not be as threatening. So Australia will need about 400 to 450 runs lead to get a result in their favour. If they had a good spinner i would have said even 350 will be a challenging target.

There is still good movement on offer off the pitch and in the air, but another day in the S** would have just made it a fast, flat deck with very true bounce. WACA wicket always has high bounce, but i have never seen uneven bounce on offer at WACA.

I'm wondering if Reverse swing will become a factor at some point in this test.

For anyone who is interested. India had a big batting collapse yesterday. 136/9 end of play.

It was a bad toss for Dhoni to lose. The centurion wicket was really damp on a rain affected day. Further, Indian team did not have a tour match. They went straight into the Test to face Steyn and co. Tendulkar was counter attacking beautifully before Steyn sent down a delivery with Tendulkar's name on it. It was a real Jaffa. Same with Dravid and VVS Laxman. Some really good good balls.

Even though the batting failed there was a lesson for Australia to learn from Dravid's batting. He scored only 12 runs, but he killed nearly 20 overs of really threatening bowling conditions without giving a chance before he got out. That kind of attitude would have seen Australia post over 300 in the first innings. To be very frank, that centurion wicket was much much more fast bowler friendly.

All said....Dale Steyn...44 matches 220 Wickets. What a player! I'm really looking forward to see more of Tendulkar vs Steyn in this series. Tendulkar was taking it to him by counter attacking while the wickets were falling around. India will bounce back, i'm certain of that.

Prior is a goner! Siddle got him. I'm surprised Midge is still not bowling after lunch. They are saving him for the tail?

England just have to promote Bell up the order. He's in marvellous touch, and has been forced into throwing his wicket away twice now (Brisbane the first time) cos he's run out of partners. He's too good for 6, put him ahead of collingwood.

I hope Harris takes andersons fucking head off here.

A word for Mitchell Johnson who's been slaughtered from pillar to post, and probably deservedly so.

Anyway, my word is: youfuckingbeauty.

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=41229.msg1234708#msg1234708 date=1292570667]
I heart Johnson...

81 run lead is quite handy!

Time for Ponting and Clarke to step up now.
[/quote]

The swing available to the bowlers in that session will give Anderson and Tremlett plenty of heart though.

Australia have the chance they need though; day 2 not even over and they're in batting again. If you want to win a Test, this is your chance. Let anything short of a length go, and make the bowlers play on your terms. Game on.

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=41229.msg1234693#msg1234693 date=1292565419]
For anyone who is interested. India had a big batting collapse yesterday. 136/9 end of play.

It was a bad toss for Dhoni to lose. The centurion wicket was really damp on a rain affected day. Further, Indian team did not have a tour match. They went straight into the Test to face Steyn and co. Tendulkar was counter attacking beautifully before Steyn sent down a delivery with Tendulkar's name on it. It was a real Jaffa. Same with Dravid and VVS Laxman. Some really good good balls.

Even though the batting failed there was a lesson for Australia to learn from Dravid's batting. He scored only 12 runs, but he killed nearly 20 overs of really threatening bowling conditions without giving a chance before he got out. That kind of attitude would have seen Australia post over 300 in the first innings. To be very frank, that centurion wicket was much much more fast bowler friendly.

All said....Dale Steyn...44 matches 220 Wickets. What a player! I'm really looking forward to see more of Tendulkar vs Steyn in this series. Tendulkar was taking it to him by counter attacking while the wickets were falling around. India will bounce back, i'm certain of that.

Prior is a goner! Siddle got him. I'm surprised Midge is still not bowling after lunch. They are saving him for the tail?
[/quote]

Steyn is a phenomenal bowler, but I still don't think he's in Allan Donald's class ... and did you see Morkel's #?!? Phenomenal.

It's been 50-50 mate. I just backed Aus to fight because they were looking confident out there, even after England got off to a brisk start.

Australia need to get a lead of 400+. Ideally they should bat until stumps today and 10 or 15 overs tomorrow morning to set a target of 500 odd runs for England to chase down in little less than 2 days. The time left in this game make it tricky, because England have the discipline to patiently grind their way towards a big target. I doubt Johnson will be able to deliver a spell with such venom on the 4th and 5th day, and Steve Smith is all they have in the form of a spinner. I think Smith will do better than expected (which is nothing) with the ball.

I love Test matches were things hang in the balance as it does in this one. I wouldn't say Australia have a big advantage, yet.

Elsewhere....Oh dear @ India. But they will fight back. If not in this Test definitely in the series. That team is very resilient. I'd still like to see them avoid an innings defeat in this Test. I think they will too. I suspected this (the poor start) might happen. It is really idiotic to start a Test series in South Africa after playing at home for a year, with just 7 days of acclimatisation and no tour matches. Contrast that to how England prepared for the Ashes. They had a camp, and came to Australia about a month in advance. While i think that is a bit too much, BCCI should have at least made time for one tour match.

England 89-5 at stumps chasing 391.

Although it pains me when Australia beat England, this is what makes the Ashes great. If it wasn't a fierce, competitive series it wouldn't be so much fun. ;)

What a fucking inning by kallis against India ... double century of 270 odd balls ... one of the best of our generation.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=41229.msg1235200#msg1235200 date=1292688274]
What a fucking inning by kallis against India ... double century of 270 odd balls ... one of the best of our generation.
[/quote]

True. It seems the wicket has eased after the damp first morning. Indian openers seemed to have not much problem facing Steyn and Morkel in the second dig. Losing the toss and losing Zaheer to injury kinda rendered the Indian attack a bit toothless. But that shouldn't take much away from an incredible Kallis innings that took the match well and truly away from India. It would take something special from all three Indian batting stalwarts Dravid, Sachin and VVS to get a draw out of this game. But i'm not holding my breath....

Ponting to miss the rest of the series due to injury?

Damn...the man simply couldn't catch a break. I feel sorry for him, even though i have always despised him.

Back
Top Bottom