• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Euro 2012 - Day 4 - France/England & Ukraine/Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm miles late but I simply couldn't leave this comment.

I actually normally like most of your posts Hansern but the most encouraging part of the game was Chamberlain's performance. One of skill, some swagger and about the best debut we've had at a major championship since Rooney. He was good and the fact pretty much every pundit out there is saying the same hasn't changed my mind.

Agreed, and I thought Gerrard was poor for the most part, constantly giving the ball away. Great freekick though.

I thought Gerrard did pretty well; I don't think the system helped him. England had fewer than half as many passes in the game than France, which tells a depressingly Hodgsonesque story. If only Hodgson would stick SG on the right.

I agree with Wiz that Oxo-cube looks a talent, but I also think he didn't benefit from this system either. He had 6 successful passes all game! That said, it is running at people rather than passing that is his forte, and there are signs of a serious prospect. He certainly looked more dangerous than Young yesterday.

I know I'm miles late but I simply couldn't leave this comment.

I actually normally like most of your posts Hansern but the most encouraging part of the game was Chamberlain's performance. One of skill, some swagger and about the best debut we've had at a major championship since Rooney. He was good and the fact pretty much every pundit out there is saying the same hasn't changed my mind.

Chamberlain was fresh and he took on players well. It still felt so useless as there was noone to link up with or to cross for. There was nowhere near any end product. So even if it was encouraging it looked a bit helpless anyway.

Can someone tell me how England are ranked 5 in FIFA's rankings and France are 15th? It makes no fucking sense at all.

As for yesterday, when we tried to keep the ball we looked good but this constant hit the ball quickly up to the forwards doesn't work at this level if the forwards are not top top quality and can hold up with runners from midfield. That didn't happen.

The quality teams like Spain don't give the ball away in the vein we do from long kicks from the back or vague clips into the channel. The CB's yesterday were good but they had to be cos we defended so deep.

Not playing Carroll against their CB's was a mistake. He can hold up and bring runners into play and provide the physical presence that they didn't like. Oh and the ref was rubbish. Cabaye was as usual unchecked for his cynical and sneaky tackles and frankly if Ribery goes down clutching his face when it wasn't then book him. He's too ugly to be in before the watershed anyway.

Can someone tell me how England are ranked 5 in FIFA's rankings and France are 15th? It makes no fucking sense at all.

Is this correct? I thought the commentators said France were on a 21 match unbeaten run... how low can they have been on the rankings after two miserable cups?

Cabaye was as usual unchecked for his cynical and sneaky tackles and frankly if Ribery goes down clutching his face when it wasn't then book him. He's too ugly to be in before the watershed anyway.
It was obvious that the ref had preferations for France. Not booking Cabaye, and not giving those clear freekicks to England underlined it... i think he handled the Ribery situation well anyway.

if Ribery goes down clutching his face when it wasn't then book him. He's too ugly to be in before the watershed anyway.

While I was watching the match, I suddenly wondered how Lescott and Ribery would get on if they went out together on the pull.
I decided that as they are footballers, they would probably do OK. :)

England couldn't create much yesterday. Some good set pieces and that was about it. No rythm attackingwise, and a totally waste of space Parker central. I can't see they go far in this tournament.. Will they beat the swedes? Maybe. It depends more on how the swedes set up their game than what england choose to do, as I don't think they have much more than they showed yesterday. Will they beat Ukraine? Max a draw. ukraine was good for big parts of the game yesterday. Nice combinations and a lot of energy.

HAHAHA - deluded.

He doesn't talk at all like i'd expected, he's scarily well spoken and seems very intelligent and modest, I expected him to speak like a chav. On another note, i'm convinced that Carraghers strong scouse accent will be the only thing holding him back from being one of the most respected football pundits out their. Listening to him and Veira talk yesterday was a joy, they are clearly so much more knowledgable about the game than anyone else in punditing.

As for the game, the Referee was a joke for the second half, we should have started with AC, there was no link up between defence and attack and he could have sorted that. Could have won if we showed a bit more ambition, a draw was a fair result in the end though.

There were a predictable number of idiots on twitter making jokes about needing a translator for Carragher.

I don't agree that his accent will hold him back.

The days of everyone on tv/radio having to speak The Queen's English are well gone.

There were a predictable number of idiots on twitter making jokes about needing a translator for Carragher.

I don't agree that his accent will hold him back.

The days of everyone on tv/radio having to speak The Queen's English are well gone.

Far from it, it's almost compulsory to have a regional accent now.

A relatively new presenter on Absolute Radio has a Bristol accent, pretty strong, & the other day said 'ratings' in perfect queens English, then corrected himself to say 'rate-inz' in a much more pronounced accent.

A relatively new presenter on Absolute Radio has a Bristol accent, pretty strong, & the other day said 'ratings' in perfect queens English, then corrected himself to say 'rate-inz' in a much more pronounced accent.

The Bolton light entertainment mafia have been in effect for years...Peter Kay, Vernon Kay, Sara Kay, sorry, Cox.

I blame Cheryl Cole. When she first became popular on X-Factor Emmerdale introduced a Geordie Girl and then everyone else followed suit and went accent mad.

The Bolton light entertainment mafia have been in effect for years...Peter Kay, Vernon Kay, Sara Kay, sorry, Cox.

The comedian thing us well annoying. There's loads of second rate acts trading off their accent, Jason manford & john Bishop possibly the most high profile offenders, though bishop's material is at least occasionally mildly amusing as opposed to manfords shite.

If you Google images 'Raul Meireles', this is one of the first pictures..

Is+this+Raul+Meireles+in+disguise%3F

This kind of thing has been going on for far too long, right across the media. It started at the BBC but has become the fashion everywhere on TV and radio. A Brizzle accent isn't the usual one you hear - mostly it involves broadcasters with either a posh accent or none at all talking about "stafffffff", "classssss", "broadcasssssssst" etc, Northern vowels in the middle of Southern speech. Another one, only slightly less popular, involves a mockney insistence on dropping the letter "t" as often as possible. It's pure inverted snobbery - "look how common I am, guv" - and it irritates me no end. If you naturally speak with a regional accent, that's fine. If you don't, that's fine too. Just don't pretend either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom