• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

European Super League

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Milan ultras group, Curva Sud, released a statement that sums the whole thing up very well.

Quote:
[xtable=skin1|border:0|cellpadding:6|cellspacing:0|100%x@]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}“Honestly, it makes us laugh to see all those people in the control room of football suddenly claim we fans are first and foremost.

“The Super League is just the latest in a long line of innumerable manoeuvres over decades that has made football into a business.

“The birth of this new competition would certainly be another shove to the football of old, which is by now a distant memory, and will inevitably obscure the tradition of the various national leagues, robbing football of the undeniable principle of sporting meritocracy.

“But the thing that most leaves us indignant is the hypocrisy of all those who contributed to making this sport nothing but a business, those who today stand up in name of the fans, but only because they saw their remunerative and seemingly untouchable project fall apart.

“Football did belong to the people until the 1990s, when the Champions League was born, destroying the old European Cup. From that moment, an unbreachable chasm has been created between the big and small clubs.

“Football did belong to the people even when nobody lifted a finger to stop the increase of ticket prices that was imposed by some Presidents.

“Football did belong to the people even when nobody stepped in to stop the rise of the super agents, who took player salaries to ever more astronomical figures, which could only be sustained with TV rights, the same TV companies that imposed increasingly chaotic fixture lists, with games on improbable days and kick-off times.

“Football did belong to the people even when rules were imposed to stop any rapport between the players and the fans.

“Football did belong to the people even when Supercoppa Finals were played on other continents or the dates of some games were changed a few days before kick-off, damaging those fans who had booked trains or planes to get to the stadium.

“Football did belong to the people even when some clubs were allowed to circumvent Financial Fair Play, while others with less influential Presidents were penalised.

“Football did belong to the people even when the World Cup was forced to Qatar in 2022, despite moving the entire calendar and disregarding human rights violations.

“We could list numerous other examples to show the absolute hypocrisy of the words we’re hearing from the football chiefs over the last 48 hours.

“The Super League is just the latest disgusting step, but those who took football to this point are no less grotesque, so save us these ludicrous performances of rhetoric and morality.

“Now that the money is running out, feel free to fight it out between yourselves, but don’t you dare name the fans. PIGS!”{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

This is excellent.

Yep. At least stick to your decisions.

Ha nah, they could gain some level of forgiveness from me and other fans for recognising their errors and apologising (they would have to mean it, though obviously they don't). We all make mistakes and should be accepted when we look to apologise and atone for them.

But FSG won't believe they've made a mistake here. They're just putting out that pathetic, passive aggressive statement because we ruined their little party and they've been left with no choice.

I call them spineless because they deal in the shadows, churning out the spiel that they have learned we want to hear. They're a gang of lizard cunts that will never really "get it", though they have pretended to a decent level for a long time. We obviously knew what they were, but they disrespected us flagrantly here and they thought we'd just accept it.

I doubt any level of PR spin could see them welcomed back into the city.

Ha nah, they could gain some level of forgiveness from me and other fans for recognising their errors and apologising (they would have to mean it, though obviously they don't). We all make mistakes and should be accepted when we look to apologise and atone for them.

But FSG won't believe they've made a mistake here. They're just putting out that pathetic, passive aggressive statement because we ruined their little party and they've been left with no choice.

I call them spineless because they deal in the shadows, churning out the spiel that they have learned we want to hear. They're a gang of lizard cunts that will never really "get it", though they have pretended to a decent level for a long time. We obviously knew what they were, but they disrespected us flagrantly here and they thought we'd just accept it.

I doubt any level of PR spin could see them welcomed back into the city.

I agree with all that. I still think all clubs involved are shithouses and failed more by not hiring PR people.

How many big decision have FSG tried to push through and pulled out of?
  • Season Ticket prices rollback
  • Furlong loan scheme rollback
  • ESL rollback
Seem after 10yrs in charge, still at times have no idea with some really big decisions at times.
Since Peter Moore has left, the comms out of Anfield has been a big disappointment. Get a new CEO or pay whatever it takes for Moore to come back because the current lot have no connection with the club.

How many big decision have FSG tried to push through and pulled out of?
  • Season Ticket prices rollback
  • Furlong loan scheme rollback
  • ESL rollback
Seem after 10yrs in charge, still at times have no idea with some really big decisions at times.
Since Peter Moore has left, the comms out of Anfield has been a big disappointment. Get a new CEO or pay whatever it takes for Moore to come back because the current lot have no connection with the club.
So what you are saying is we need to be sponsored by ASDA?

In all seriousness. As much good as FSG has done for this club, and make no mistake, without them there probably wouldn't have been a #19. They just see this as a business. They aren't in it for the love of the game.

They will always make mistakes like this. Always.

So what you are saying is we need to be sponsored by ASDA?
Morrisons would do for now.
Wasn't suggesting we need new owner but meant the guys on the ground running the club. It's positive that they are willing to listen to fans feedback and having wondered at times how we would get rid of Gillet and Hicks, I'm aware of what previous lot were like.
Seems the statements and comms out of the club has regressed hugely over the last year and that's not down to Covid.
Paul Hogan is just a cut out CEO but I'm sure he does very important work under the hood that we don't know about..

Liverpool Football Club can confirm that our involvement in proposed plans to form a European Super League has been discontinued.

In recent days, the club has received representations from various key stakeholders, both internally and externally, and we would like to thank them for their valuable contributions.

What a Shite Statement that is..
Hey Liverpool what about the 'legacy fans'?

In all seriousness. As much good as FSG has done for this club, and make no mistake, without them there probably wouldn't have been a #19. They just see this as a business. They aren't in it for the love of the game.

They will always make mistakes like this. Always.
Maybe, think Coutinho deserves just as much credit ;)...

Last edited:
Chelsea and city cracked first didn’t they? Sounds like the chat around kicking them out of the current champions league might have been sufficient on it’s own to unsettle their nerves

All the clubs involved, including us should get a multi-year ban from Europe. Honestly wouldn't argue against relegation for all.

Utter disgrace to go forward with this and somehow even more disgraceful to pull the plug in less than 72 hours. Fucking planks.
Yeah not gonna happen. It's another case of too big to be punished.

Super League plotters were damned by their own silence

In John W Henry’s possession somewhere are the hand-written documents that prove he was the mind behind Project Big Picture.

Remember that? Last autumn his vision pledged to transform English football, albeit with one very significant catch: in basic terms, clubs like his would take control of the most profound legislation that affect the game.

The plan was popular among lots of EFL owners and chairman because it safeguarded their futures. Big Picture would not add immediately to the value of the clubs behind the idea but it would take away the wealth from the bottom 14 in the division, who merely by being in the Premier League earn eleven times as much as the 24 teams in the Championship.

This, in theory, would close the gap between the top two flights and lead to fewer clubs in the Championship taking enormous financial risks to reach the Promised Land. Below that, sides from Leagues One and Two would have a better chance of catching up and competing when and if they ever made it into the Championship.

It received the backing of EFL chairman Rick Parry, whose support was and remains absolute. Though he was criticised for his stance, he had found a long-term solution to a major problem that satisfied a high majority of the members in the organisation he represents, most of whom were merely concerned about surviving. Perhaps more importantly than that, he was willing to explain publicly why he considered it was the right thing to do.

Many years before, Parry had been Liverpool’s chief executive, a position at Anfield that held a similar responsibility to Henry’s and though he did not always get things right, from those mistakes he did learn a thing or two about how to handle potentially sensitive issues — particularly when it was his call and he really wanted something to happen.

Like Henry, Parry can sometimes be an equally reluctant participant in a media frenzy yet his visibility throughout Big Picture led to more EFL boardroom members believing they were in safer hands. Parry did not hide and he did not flake. Unlike Henry this time, along with his mate Joel Glazer over at Manchester United, neither of whom were anywhere to be seen when the shit really hit the fan. The FA chairman Greg Clarke, meanwhile, condemned the proposals even though, as it turned out, he had been involved in all 18 drafts.

Big Picture was never given a chance to succeed partly because the talking was left to everyone but those who created it. Henry was, apparently, close to granting an interview about the matter only to pull away at the very last minute. His advisors were encouraging him to do it because any control of the story’s direction had been completely lost. There had been no attempts to win over hearts and minds. Henry had not tried to convince anyone other than people who already agreed with him.

And here we are again.

Two days after Henry, Glazer and the owners of four other English clubs let off a stink bomb by committing towards another scheme that had an even greater potential to shake football to its core (albeit without any clarity about how clubs other than those involved would benefit), all we have had is silence from the figures who devised it without ever stopping to even listen to the thoughts of the managers or players who represent them – never mind the supporters.

On Tuesday night just before 11 o’clock, having watched Chelsea and Manchester City slip away from the situation first, the rest scurried as fast as they could — albeit all at the same time having spent the previous hours trying to ensure none of them looked any worse than the other.

Arsenal apologised via an open letter, while at Tottenham Daniel Levy attempted to explain away. The wording on the statements that came from Liverpool and United’s websites, however, were shorter and colder. No mention of strain they have imposed on the manager or his players or the upset on the fans. No quotes. Just two sentences of corporate emptiness. Henry and Glazer’s names nowhere to be seen. In fact, it means more quotes from Glazer have appeared on Liverpool’s website in the last few days than from Henry.

Those who speak on behalf of Henry, indeed, have tried desperately to push the idea that Liverpool particularly could not afford not to catch the carriage pulling away from the platform yet his and Glazer’s hands have been on this locomotive’s break lever all along.

They have led their crusade appallingly. It came at a time when Britain remains in the mood for Brexit whether you like the idea or not. Part of the reasoning behind such a drastic vote was the absolute loathing of multinational companies led by invisible bosses from positions of safety taking big decisions which effect lots of people without bothering to communicate what is happening properly if at all.

If an idea is such a profoundly brilliant one and it has the potential to impact on lots of people’s lives, why not own it? Why is speaking out about something you clearly feel passionately about considered to be potentially more damaging than letting everyone else have their say first?

Henry could have saved himself so much time and avoided the sort of reputational damage that will be difficult to shake. All he needed to do at some point was get Mike Gordon to speak to Jurgen Klopp to appreciate that there was never going to be any appetite for this inside his own club, never mind across the rest of the country. The manager understands the football landscape in a way the hierarchy clearly do not.

Some of his critics within the game have claimed that Henry in particular must be arrogant or stupid or both to think this would end any other way given Liverpool’s history of resistance, especially when fans are left out of consultation. It is why, after all, he is in control in the first place.

Yet, he had gambled on others getting their hands slightly dirtier and from his position in the shadows, somehow it would work out in his favour.

Henry and his friend Glazer attempted to take hostage a game they have never really understood from a terrain they have evidently never bothered to learn much about and given how spectacularly they have failed in the resulting stand-off, it is fair to assume one of them came armed with a water pistol and the other, a broken bottle.

The pair of cowboys.

(Photo: Michael Regan/Getty Images)

Ok heres the thing, we as fans are greedy for success, so we need the best players. So to get big money we need CL footy each year, we know whats gonna happen when teams like west ham and all get into the CL. Also, I fucking hate the existence of Burnley in the PL, and clubs like them who live to dissrupt but play shit against teams of thier own level. Its pointless. In some ways I get FSG, clearly not this ESL is the right thing, but we need money and loads of it for sustained success, otherwise it will be just fucking state sponsored Man City each and every fucking year. Thats not right. I think UEFA will have to do something for us big clubs, because we have huge fanbases and that matters for the game worldwide. I think FSG have delivered on their goals, I dont want to see them go over this, and to be honest I want to see how this plays out.

They've all probably moved onto their next project by now, this one failed, so there will be more down the line....I would put money on it.

As much as I am relieved that the ESL looks dead in the water, I must confess I hold some sympathy for FSG. Our fans expect them to run the club intelligently (profitably), but almost simultaneously, also demand that they act in ways entirely inconsistently as businessmen of their purported acumen would. Every transfer windows there are allegations that they have been stingy- but to attain the pie in the sky signings we hope for would mean dipping into their own pockets. Had the ESL taken off as the PL did so many years ago without us on board as a founder team, they would have been accused of lacking foresight.

I'm sure there are or will be owners who strike a fine balance but in my view, I think they have been good for us.

Oh yeah, defo. But there's been such an outpouring of outrage they could really get some massive credibility and goodwill in the bank if they act the right way.
And when have they ever done that? Self-serving twats that just want their spoonful of honey (or the whole jar) before they get caught.

As much as I am relieved that the ESL looks dead in the water, I must confess I hold some sympathy for FSG. Our fans expect them to run the club intelligently (profitably), but almost simultaneously, also demand that they act in ways entirely inconsistently as businessmen of their purported acumen would. Every transfer windows there are allegations that they have been stingy- but to attain the pie in the sky signings we hope for would mean dipping into their own pockets. Had the ESL taken off as the PL did so many years ago without us on board as a founder team, they would have been accused of lacking foresight.

I'm sure there are or will be owners who strike a fine balance but in my view, I think they have been good for us.

Agreed.

If the ESL had taken off and we were left behind with Everton and West Ham we would not have forgiven them. But what is irksome is the fact that they were in all likelihood the masterminds of this whole idea.

K so the self righteous fans and lizards have had their say.

All the same problems still exist now. And whether you agree or not the 12 were trying to change the status quo. Which 2 weeks ago we’d all have agreed should be changed.

The entrenched lizards have roiled the plebes to cheer for their side. The disrupting lizards failed to mobilize the mob and therefore are now going to be viewed as the greedy losers in this episode.

And next week we will go back to state owned clubs winning everything. But at least they’ll Earn It.

K so the self righteous fans and lizards have had their say.

All the same problems still exist now. And whether you agree or not the 12 were trying to change the status quo. Which 2 weeks ago we’d all have agreed should be changed.

The entrenched lizards have roiled the plebes to cheer for their side. The disrupting lizards failed to mobilize the mob and therefore are now going to be viewed as the greedy losers in this episode.

And next week we will go back to state owned clubs winning everything. But at least they’ll Earn It.

Did a state owned club win the Champions League recently?

Did a state owned club win the Premier League last year?

I get your point, that football is unfair, but football is about dreams and competition, not money and titles. And that's the difference.

Agreed.

If the ESL had taken off and we were left behind with Everton and West Ham we would not have forgiven them. But what is irksome is the fact that they were in all likelihood the masterminds of this whole idea.
That would be Real Madrid ... as has been known for years.

All the clubs involved, including us should get a multi-year ban from Europe. Honestly wouldn't argue against relegation for all.

Utter disgrace to go forward with this and somehow even more disgraceful to pull the plug in less than 72 hours. Fucking planks.

Then they’ll definitely fuck off to a super league. There is more serious shit wrong with the game than this. Bans?? FFS.

Delighted it's over, but now is the chance to drive real change.

Fans need to lobby MPs to push for a 51 percent fan ownership model, or put in place any steps possible to achieve that aim. It's the only way to keep the lizards out.

51% hasnt helped the German league right? Bayern 8, Dortmund 2 in the last 10 ...

That would be Real Madrid ... as has been known for years.
If you believe the media reports, whilst Real and Juve were ever willing to sign up and be the mouth pieces for the failed venture. The driving forces behind it were the American owners.

Probably convenient narrative, however the Athletic are also heavily pumping that narrative from all their reporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom