• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Gakpoll

Prefix for Poll Threads

Based on what you’ve seen (at LFC and before), will he be a success here?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In fairness to Rurik who started the thread, the OP only asked how many people had already formed a view about Gakpo. IMO the thread could have done with a different title and without the poll though - the Internet is notorious for tempting folks to rush to premature judgment about most things, and it was way previous to be forming definite views about Gakpo at that stage.

On the question of timing, I don't agree and never have agreed that the signing was made "at the wrong time". It would have been ludicrous to turn down the chance to sign a forward we knew we wanted just because we couldn't get the MFs we needed as well.

It took 3 games before the he’s shite calls to come out. He’d done nothing of note during those games. Not a decent tackle, beat a man, show some real pace or quiet confidence. Nothing. If he is mentally fragile then he won’t be a long term player here.

My list specifically looked at forward’s because that’s the position where you need to have the most self belief. Those you’ve added didn’t have 3 opening games where they did nothing of note. You could see them trying to get stuck in or doing something.

We have a long list of really good to exceptional players here. So it’s not a case of everyone is shite. They are a group who have started burning through the credits they had built up but can still contribute to this side. Gakpo came with zero credits in the bank and played in a position which we are well stocked when we have bigger issues. He was seen as the wrong signing at the wrong time.

So you’re saying that as soon as he’s had 3 good games in a row, where he’s shown skillzzzz n’ stuff… then I can proclaim him as “legendary” or what ever the opposite of shite is?

So you’re saying that as soon as he’s had 3 good games in a row, where he’s shown skillzzzz n’ stuff… then I can proclaim him as “legendary” or what ever the opposite of shite is?
Yes. If you want.

At least showing skilzzzzz n stuff is better than fuck all.

If you want to talk about best strikers, I watched Torres’ goals for us. That cunt is right up there.

He is beginning to look like the player we thought we were buying
I’d go as far to say that (albeit one game) Sunday demonstrated his current potential to be even greater than we might have hoped for at 36m, and especially given he’s playing in a new position / system.

I’m not expecting the same fireworks from him every game - especially not at this stage of his Anfield career - but on that evidence his ceiling is very high under Klopp.

Does he come out and say that about any other of our players or just the ones he personally recommends the club to sign? o_O

[article]Liverpool forward Cody Gakpo is one of five who have been sent home from the Netherlands training camp.

The Dutch are preparing for Euro 2024 qualifiers against France and then Gibraltar.

However, it has now emerged that several of their players will not participate due to illness, per the Dutch FA.

A virus outbreak within the camp is thought to be the issue, with manager Ronald Koeman bringing in replacements.

Bayern Munich midfielder Ryan Gravenberch, Inter Milan defender Stefan de Vrij and goalkeeper Kjell Scherpen will join the squad.

Bayern Munich defender Matthijs de Ligt, Anderlecht goalkeeper Bart Verbruggen and PSV Eindhoven midfielder Joey Veerman, Newcastle United star Sven Botman, and Liverpool's Gakpo are among those who are going home.
[/article]

Surely there would have been some form of long term plan/vision when signing him?

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...news/cody-gakpo-speaks-out-liverpool-26639542

[article]The 23-year-old says the central position is one he is still adapting to but explained that he has been given tips from Firmino, who has operated as Liverpool's No.9 for much of the last eight years under Klopp.

Gakpo said: "I have played almost every game in that central position and for me it is just about getting used to that position. I don't know the long-term plan, you will have to ask the manager.

"For sure [Firmino has helped], Bobby is an amazing player and person. He tries to help me where I can and I really appreciate that. I like to be here and having a good time.
Obviously the results have not been that good.

"If you don't look at the results, I feel good, the team is great and everybody helped in the beginning and I am looking forward to working hard with the team, improving and winning games.

"I think everyone knows this is a big club and you have to play for prizes. That is the mentality here. This season is not the best at this club, I think everyone can see that but it hasn't changed, we just have to keep fighting and bring this season to a good end."[/article]

Phrases about mountains and molehills come to mind with some of the above. Whether or not Gakpo's played centrally on a regular basis before, that's where the club think he'll be best used, so he's being given time to get accustomed to it, and for my money he's done OK. That's not where the main difficulties have been.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/how-gakpo-can-learn-firmino-find-his-own-way-no9-role

[article]The boss said: "If you watched international football over the last five, six years as a footballer and you love football, and if you are in a similar role, have a similar job to do in the game and you didn't pick up anything from Bobby Firmino, that would be a bad decision, to be honest. We play in public, so you can watch all the games.

"I think Bobby in this role is an inspiration for pretty much every player in a similar position, so that's clear.

"Cody is 23 years old, he was captain of his former club – I had no clue how that happens that early and then when he arrived here you realise, 'Ah OK, he's a super-smart kid, really open and a real team player' and stuff like this. On top of that, a really good footballer.

"He can play this position, can play wide, can play the centre. The real nine, a bit higher up, he can play that as well; double striker, can play that as well.

"So, he can create his own way there on the position, so it's not like we have to do it exactly [the same] because nobody can do it like Bobby, because nobody is Bobby.

"That means you have to find your own way and I think that's much more important. That's where Cody is up to.

"I thought Cody, since he's here, did exceptionally well. We didn't do that well – that for a new player is super-difficult. It's super-difficult to come into the team and it's not clicking. He did really well in that period. And now when we do better then obviously people maybe realise his performances, and that's it.

"But from the first day since he's here, he's a real joy to work with."
[/article]

For us to work out our front 3 starting XI (or for him to secure a starting XI spot) ahead of next season instead of just relying on preseason? It wasn’t long ago he was mentioned as a sellable asset, so good performances will help increase with valuation too (IF anyone wants to tempt him away).

Anyway, wasn’t expecting this discussion when I posted the tweet for the stats :p

For us to work out our front 3 starting XI (or for him to secure a starting XI spot) ahead of next season instead of just relying on preseason? It wasn’t long ago he was mentioned as a sellable asset, so good performances will help increase with valuation too (IF anyone wants to tempt him away).

Anyway, wasn’t expecting this discussion when I posted the tweet for the stats :p

Ha, sorry... I'm a miserable fucker.

Anyways, I like Jota. When fit and on form, he's a great asset but I still have one foot in the saleable asset camp and the reason for that is his injury record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom