• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Georginio Wijnaldum - confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the main concern here is that he's clearly not Klopp's first or even second choice. I wonder where he started on the list.

Good player and I don't think we'll ever think of him as a waste either in terms of squad place or fees spent but like almost everyone else in the side is more of a 7/10 type player.

If we get the whole greater than the sum of our parts thing going on, great, but I'd be more confident if we could get someone in to compete alongside Sturridge and Coutinho in terms of talent and influence.
The problem with that though is we already have Coutinho and Sturridge, who will more than likely be starters but aren't that defensive minded. Mane is cut from different cloth and is clearly good at the defensive side of the game too, as his stats and defensive work show.
We need stamina, pace and power in midfield, as well as being able to contribute to the attack and add goals. Can will generally lie deeper and the likes of Grujic, Wijnaldum, Milner and to some extent Henderson fill the other criteria. I think Ryan is right in this context, without another CM of Wijnaldum's ilk we are lacking in sufficient numbers and he is an upgrade on Allen/Milner/Henderson in a number of respects.

I thought we ought to have got him last season but that is by the by. If he comes, I think we'll be shifting some characters for sure.

Or Newcastle's tactics away from home didn't cater to the attacking side of his game.

Fair point. He does seem to be at his best in transition, uses his balance and technique to escape the first couple of challenges and then his speed to exploit the space. Seems to mostly make right decisions with the ball too – you can see the Dutch playing style ingrained in him, as soon as he sees another player open he passes without thinking.

Maybe Newcastle were just not adventurous/confident enough away from home to make use of this quality. Still, this is something to look out for.

Signing players from a relegated club doesn't fill me with confidence, I know he was one of their better players, but still.

I never really buy this thinking. We bought Henchoz from a relegated club, where he played centre back for a Blackburn side that pissed goals everywhere.

He's a good player who for one reason or another hit a bit of a brick wall in his development, after being hugely rated when he first broke through, his goals record is really good and when he played or came off the bench, it was the only time Newcastle looked dangerous.

I did/do like him as a player, but I think this is a bit meh. Surely we can find someone better. And surely Newcastle will be looking to fleece us.

Almost half of Wijnaldum's goals came in one game, too, by the way. He doesn't seem the most consistent sort.

That's a really weird part. We could have had Zielinski for significantly less than Wejnaldum – the player really wanted to come here, but we were not willing to go above £9.5M (I know that Udinese accepted an identical bid from Italian teams but rejected ours). So maybe the initial impression that Zielinski was a priority target was not really accurate... I can't really explain why we turned to Wijnaldum only now, after missing out on a lower-priced target. Did Klopp change his mind during the pre-season?

Did look like he was on his way to Spurs. Maybe we saw a deal to be made, as that hasnt happened?

No one knows if Zielinski was his first choice regardless

That's a really weird part. We could have had Zielinski for significantly less than Wejnaldum – the player really wanted to come here, but we were not willing to go above £9.5M (I know that Udinese accepted an identical bid from Italian teams but rejected ours). So maybe the initial impression that Zielinski was a priority target was not really accurate... I can't really explain why we turned to Wijnaldum only now, after missing out on a lower-priced target. Did Klopp change his mind during the pre-season?

Yeah I think there was more to the whole Zielinski thing too.

He went cheap. We'd have got him if we really wanted him, surely.

11 goals and 5 assists in 40 appearances is excellent on such a dysfunctional Newcastle team.

He also played an average of 83 minutes in those 40 matches. Historically a durable player, with lots of top level game experience.

Asked what he believes Wijnaldum’s best position is, Benitez replied: “That is the problem – because he is so good, he can play everywhere and do well.

“We were thinking about where to play him the other day, and we said: ‘His best position could be behind the striker’.

“But because he is doing well he can play on the right, he can play on the left.

“And even then I was talking to him about when he was playing against Costa Rica (for the Netherlands) in the World Cup in Brazil (in 2014) in a deeper position, and he can play there too because he is so good.

“On saying that, he is so good up front because he can create and score goals.

“I think that his best position is behind the striker but we need quality now out on the pitch, so he can help in any position.”

I think myself and Oncey were early fans, given how he started his Newcastle career; he looked genuine quality and scored an impressive amount of goals.

But there was certainly a few issues; he didn't seem to be the sort of player who could be trusted - especially away from home - but that's possibly due to how often he was played in different positions, and also the general fragility of Newcastle as they were inexorably relegated. However, there is no denying that his form dropped off a cliff around January, and the lack of guts and fight shown led to him being dropped.

That, allied with his "homer" statistics, suggest some concern about his mental strength. But perhaps part of it was simple fatigue?

He's certainly a quality player when on top form, but whether or not he can deliver that consistency is the question. However, being previously PSV's captain, winning the title and being voted Dutch footballer of the year, would suggest he is worth the risk.

What's equally interesting is that Klopp has certainly identified the need for more very quick, powerful, ball-carrying players who are a goal threat.

It was an obvious flaw in the squad make-up last season, with too many one-paced passers, slowing the game down too much and not offering enough attacking options. He's bought Mane already, and been heavily linked with Sissoko and Dahoud. Wijnaldum is another who gives that additional option as a player; someone who can burst through defences with the ball and run in behind onto passes.

Plus he scored more Premiership goals than any other Liverpool player

I never really buy this thinking. We bought Henchoz from a relegated club, where he played centre back for a Blackburn side that pissed goals everywhere.

He's a good player who for one reason or another hit a bit of a brick wall in his development, after being hugely rated when he first broke through, his goals record is really good and when he played or came off the bench, it was the only time Newcastle looked dangerous.

Obviously not the same, but Mascherano couldnt get a fucking game for West Ham. Rafa bought him, look what happened there.

Surroundings and fitting into a club are just as important as anything.

I like this guy. Anyone that has a name that Harry Potter might say to make things fly has to be a winner...

Obviously not the same, but Mascherano couldnt get a fucking game for West Ham. Rafa bought him, look what happened there.

Surroundings and fitting into a club are just as important as anything.

Wijnaldum has also scored goals against Liverpool or played well against Liverpool in the previous season.

cf Mane.

We do have a very well-known (infamous?) tendency to buy players who have done well against in previous seasons, even if they didn't score, or their team lost.

Those two, Kirkland for Coventry, Henchoz for Blackburn, Andy Carroll at Newcastle, David Speedie.

It's very natural that a player who performs well in a game will stick in the manager's head. Happens too often to be coincidence.

Add Benteke to that. Andy Carroll absolutely ripped us apart when he was at Newcastle.

Wijnaldum has also scored goals against Liverpool or played well against Liverpool in the previous season.

cf Mane.

We do have a very well-known (infamous?) tendency to buy players who have done well against in previous seasons, even if they didn't score, or their team lost.

Those two, Kirkland for Coventry, Henchoz for Blackburn, Andy Carroll at Newcastle, David Speedie.

It's very natural that a player who performs well in a game will stick in the manager's head. Happens too often to be coincidence.

Yes definitely, Rafa did it, Rodgers did it, now Klopp is doing it.

Is it just us or does this happen elsewhere?

Good game intelligence and a very good leader. Looks like Klopp continue to build the squad the way I said he would. If you don't have good game intelligence and is a good leader then Klopp won't be interested.

Yes definitely, Rafa did it, Rodgers did it, now Klopp is doing it.

Is it just us or does this happen elsewhere?

I'm sure, like everything else, we think it's a Liverpool FC phenomenon. It isn't. We just notice it more because we're from Liverpool/ support Liverpool.

A bit like that "shit players who only score/ play well against Liverpool" thread that comes around every year or so, in which we list fucking useless cunts who somehow turn into a cross between Ronaldo and Ian Rush when they play us, and posters (usually led by me) go into a frothing frenzy listing them all: Kevin Lisbie, Casiraghi, Sava (cunt with the Zorro mask at Fulham), Arshavin (Four. Fucking. Goals), Silvestre, Forlan, Cadamarteri, Frank Pingel, Martin Dahlin.

I was surprised to find out that Everton also think the above. Although they probably blame us.

I'm sure all clubs have a version of it.

But I'm also sure it happens more often to us

This is one time where the perspective of age may help. ;) Ladies, gentlemen and Arn, we've always done this right from the glory days onwards. Bob Paisley explicitly referred to it when we bought John Wark from Ipswich after a number of games against us in which he'd been a confounded nuisance.

This is one time where the perspective of age may help. ;) Ladies, gentlemen and Arn, we've always done this right from the glory days onwards. Bob Paisley explicitly referred to it when we bought John Wark from Ipswich after a number of games against us in which he'd been a confounded nuisance.

I hope that Suarez score 10 against us. Then we will sign him even if he would cost £250m.

Ray Kennedy would be another. And Steve McMahon.

It's also worth pointing out that good players have usually scored or played well against lots of teams before getting transferred, so it's not that weird that one of the good games or performances came against the club that ended up signing them.

Indeed.

Back on the thread subject BTW, I for one Do Not Want. Good player but only when it suits him. Not interested in fair weather players for LFC.

I wouldn't judge him on how he played for Newcastle. The players wanted to get rid of Pardew and the club was in a mess.

Our players wanted to get rid of Rodgers and didn't give a shit. Getting rid of Rodgers was prio one. Not winning games. I wouldn't judge our players how they played the 2014-15 season.

I wouldn't judge him on how he played for Newcastle. The players wanted to get rid of Pardew and the club was in a mess.

Our players wanted to get rid of Rodgers and didn't give a shit. Getting rid of Rodgers was prio one. Not winning games. I wouldn't judge our players how they played the 2014-15 season.

He never played for Alan Pardew. Last season or any other season.

And he was dropped by Benitez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom