• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Georginio Wijnaldum - confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't judge him on how he played for Newcastle. The players wanted to get rid of Pardew and the club was in a mess.

Our players wanted to get rid of Rodgers and didn't give a shit. Getting rid of Rodgers was prio one. Not winning games. I wouldn't judge our players how they played the 2014-15 season.

Not that I believe any of that, but I would 100% judge players if they were trying to not win games.

For fuck sake Arm... really?? I don't have any beef with you, but even the article itself says something along the lines of "he will have a medical, if they can agree a fee".

You might as well post something from Liverpool-Kuntwar-Kop.

I wouldn't judge him on how he played for Newcastle. The players wanted to get rid of Pardew and the club was in a mess.

Our players wanted to get rid of Rodgers and didn't give a shit. Getting rid of Rodgers was prio one. Not winning games. I wouldn't judge our players how they played the 2014-15 season.

He was signed by McClaren though

His brother Giliano is a left back but he's not that good.

His cousin is Royston Drenthe who sometimes plays at LB.

I saw Drenthe in a friendly against us years ago and he was absolutely brilliant. Best player on the pitch by a mile. He also nearly got twatted by Gerrard who had to be dragged away from him after Drenthe went straight through him with a terrible tackle.

Then he went to Real Madrid far too early.

I saw Drenthe in a friendly against us years ago and he was absolutely brilliant. Best player on the pitch by a mile. He also nearly got twatted by Gerrard who had to be dragged away from him after Drenthe went straight through him with a terrible tackle.

And then Everton far too early

Reminds me of that match against Arsenal when they started Frimpong.

Wijnaldum's league goals by season:

2015/16: 11 in 38 games (EPL)
2014/15: 14 in 33 (Eredivisie)
2013/14: 4 in 11 (Eredivisie)
2012/13: 14 in 33 (Eredivisie)
2011/12: 8 in 32 (Eredivisie)
2010/11: 14 in 34 (Eredivisie)

BTW in his last season in Holland, out of his 14 league goals 9 were away from home. So the total absence of away goals with Newcastle must have more to do with Newcastle than with him.

Last edited:
One thing to note with those premier league numbers is that he scored four in one game, that's not to discount them, but it is a hefty chunk of the goals

I want to know where he scored many of his goals from though. In both leagues. Was it DM or LAM/CAM.

He seems a good athlete and has a goalscoring instinct (take not Henderson). He's a slight upgrade on what we have but for the price we are paying, I'm not sure whether the money couldn't be spent elsewhere on a bigger upgrade in a position (or player profile) we lack.

Like LB or a Modric type midfielder.

I want to know where he scored many of his goals from though. In both leagues. Was it DM or LAM/CAM.

He seems a good athlete and has a goalscoring instinct (take not Henderson). He's a slight upgrade on what we have but for the price we are paying, I'm not sure whether the money couldn't be spent elsewhere on a bigger upgrade in a position (or player profile) we lack.

[xtable=skin1]
{thead}
{tr}
{th}Matches as{/th}
{th}M{/th}
{th}G{/th}
{th}A{/th}
{/tr}
{/thead}
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Attacking Midfield{/td}
{td}104{/td}
{td}46{/td}
{td}15{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Central Midfield{/td}
{td}48{/td}
{td}15{/td}
{td}7{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Right Wing{/td}
{td}19{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Left Midfield{/td}
{td}18{/td}
{td}8{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Left Wing{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Right Midfield{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Is it really true though that goal threat from midfield is a luxury, but a playmaker is a necessity? Last season we our biggest problem wasn't passing the ball through midfield or creating chances, it was lack of cutting edge. I think this is what the signings of Mane and Wijnaldum (if it happens) are designed to address.

As for our top-class "Modric" type, we might have to wait another year.

That's a really weird part. We could have had Zielinski for significantly less than Wejnaldum – the player really wanted to come here, but we were not willing to go above £9.5M (I know that Udinese accepted an identical bid from Italian teams but rejected ours). So maybe the initial impression that Zielinski was a priority target was not really accurate... I can't really explain why we turned to Wijnaldum only now, after missing out on a lower-priced target. Did Klopp change his mind during the pre-season?

Maybe Klopp's budget distribution was to spend a lot of money on Dahoud (30 million plus) and get Zielinski and Chilwell on the cheap ( less than 12-13 million). Since none of these are happening and especially as he realized Dahoud may happen only next summer, he decided to go for plan B which has Wijnaldum. Maybe Wijnaldum was not a target initially as the budget didnt allow it after accounting for Dahoud.

Really didn't see this coming. Don't know what to make of it but if I was Henderson I'd be worried, very worried.

Maybe Klopp's budget distribution was to spend a lot of money on Dahoud (30 million plus) and get Zielinski and Chilwell on the cheap ( less than 12-13 million). Since none of these are happening and especially as he realized Dahoud may happen only next summer, he decided to go for plan B which has Wijnaldum. Maybe Wijnaldum was not a target initially as the budget didnt allow it after accounting for Dahoud.

That's a good guess. This will not stop the media from "reporting" that we switched to Wijnaldum because we couldn't get Zielinski, which makes no fucking sense.

How does it make no sense? We offered the same as what Napoli/AC offered but they rejected our offer. We didn't believe he is worth more than our offer so we moved on and are willing to pay a higher price for someone we believe is worth the fee.

How does it make no sense? We offered the same as what Napoli/AC offered but they rejected our offer. We didn't believe he is worth more than our offer so we moved on and are willing to pay a higher price for someone we believe is worth the fee.

Sure, I mean it makes no sense to make it sound like Wijnaldum was 2nd or 3rd choice behind Zielinski, when we are willing to pay twice as much for him.

And he is quite different type of midfielder to Dahoud, so it's probably not the case of rating one player over the other, but either budget constraints or maybe not wanting to buy too many new players at once. Once it was clear that Dahoud transfer will have to wait, we were free to strengthen another position that was going to be strengthened anyway, but maybe further down the line in the original plan.

Last edited:
Henderson offers us jack shit most of the time so I personally don't care if he's sold. English premium please.

Wijnaldum has been born in Holland, but like so many Dutch players he is of Afro-Surinamese ancestry. I know the likes of Seedorf and Rijkaard were Surinamese, but didn't realize the list was THAT long or illustrious until I looked it up:

Ruud Gullit
Frank Rijkaard
Edgar Davids
Clarence Seedorf
Patrick Kluivert
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
Michael Reiziger (Barca full-back in the 90's, CL winner with Ajax)
Mario Melchiot (Chelsea and Wigan full-back)
Winston Bogarde (Barca CB who ended his career in controversy with Chelsea)

For a nation of under half a million, that's fucking incredible – some of the absolute elite of European football of the 80's and 90's. There have been a few more who showed early promise, but didn't quite make it at the very top level, like our own Ryan Babel, Royston Drenthe or Eljero Elija. If Wijnaldum has a career anywhere near the first 5 on that list, we're in luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom