• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Georginio Wijnaldum - confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Henderson offers us jack shit most of the time so I personally don't care if he's sold. English premium please.

This is nonsense Modo, I know you've never been a fan but the clear fall guys in the midfield at the moment are Lucas and Allen. Henderson had a poor run of it last season because of injury, the couple of seasons previous his growth in the team was impressive and he was setting up more than his share of goals from midfield.

I don't know why people are overstating this point. Yeah he needs competition and yes we need to keep one eye on his injury problem, but if he can overcome his injury (as he clearly looked like he had in the recent game against Wales) then he can become a very good addition again. Regardless of whether we sign Wijnaldum or whoever. Besides which, the latter is versatile and prefers playing the more advanced roles, so I don't see how that really effects Henderson.

To me the three positions up top would be occupied from:

Firmino
Origi
Sturridge
Mane
Ings
Wijnaldum

And the three midfield positions from:

Henderson
Milner
Grujic
Coutinho
Can
plus one other

Wijnaldum, Milner and Coutinho are versatile across both areas of the team.

This is nonsense Modo, I know you've never been a fan but the clear fall guys in the midfield at the moment are Lucas and Allen. Henderson had a poor run of it last season because of injury, the couple of seasons previous his growth in the team was impressive and he was setting up more than his share of goals from midfield.

I don't know why people are overstating this point. Yeah he needs competition and yes we need to keep one eye on his injury problem, but if he can overcome his injury (as he clearly looked like he had in the recent game against Wales) then he can become a very good addition again. Regardless of whether we sign Wijnaldum or whoever. Besides which, the latter is versatile and prefers playing the more advanced roles, so I don't see how that really effects Henderson.

Firmino
Origi
Sturridge
Mane
Ings
Wijnaldum

Henderson
Milner
Grujic
Coutinho
Can
plus one other

Your other one is Lallana, also versatile across both areas of the team..

He is a headless chicken. He don't have enough game intelligence. He work his socks off but much of the work is comes to nothing because he make so many wrong runs.

latest

I'm not sure Dutch George sounds better than Polish Pete

He is miles better at finishing than any of our current midfielders. We all know that we had more shots than any other team last year bar Spurs, but we are sadly lacking in instinctive finishers from midfield. I think this could be an excellent signing.

He is miles better at finishing than any of our current midfielders. We all know that we had more shots than any other team last year bar Spurs, but we are sadly lacking in instinctive finishers from midfield. I think this could be an excellent signing.

I thought you were talking about Henderson for a second there and almost had a stroke.

Firmino
Origi
Sturridge
Mane
Ings
Wijnaldum

Henderson
Milner
Grujic
Coutinho
Can
plus one other

Wijnaldum isn't a forward Mark so he really shouldn't be considered as an option for the front three (I've taken the liberty of re-posting Rurik's table below). Henderson's problem (not talking about his injuries here of course) is that he isn't a defensive midfielder and he isn't a playmaker, he's a workhorse that generally plays on the right for us. he is going to be in direct competition with Wijnaldum, Grujic & Milner and any other CM that comes in between now and the end of the transfer window.

[xtable=skin1]
{thead}
{tr}
{th}Matches as{/th}
{th}M{/th}
{th}G{/th}
{th}A{/th}
{/tr}
{/thead}
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Attacking Midfield{/td}
{td}104{/td}
{td}46{/td}
{td}15{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Central Midfield{/td}
{td}48{/td}
{td}15{/td}
{td}7{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Right Wing{/td}
{td}19{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Left Midfield{/td}
{td}18{/td}
{td}8{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Left Wing{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Right Midfield{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Looking at previous threads, I think cloggy and a few others already rated him from his time with PSV, and while there are some obvious concerns about his first season in the Premiership, with regard to mentality, away form, consistency, best position etc, I've seen quite a lot that I do like about him, so would prefer to concentrate on the positives; he scores goals, he's quick, he's a powerful carrier of the ball.

The fact he was PSV captain and voted best Dutch player etc etc is also reassuring.

It seems very much like Klopp wants him, so I'm happy enough with this signing, if it comes off.

I suppose the question is how much we'd be happy paying for him? Newcastle bought him for 14.5 but are saying they want 27m. In the crazy world where Ibe is worth 15m where do we draw the line?

I suppose the question is how much we'd be happy paying for him? Newcastle bought him for 14.5 but are saying they want 27m. In the crazy world where Ibe is worth 15m where do we draw the line?

20-25, I suppose. Depends if the rumours of Benitez wanting any of our stiffs is true, perhaps?

We will probably end up paying 27m

Hes a really good player. I do hope we get him.
Hes a cut above Milner, Allen, Henderson and Lucas all of whom have their merits.

I dont know about Grujic to be honest but Wijnaldum would easily get into our team alongside Can and one other.

Wijnaldum isn't a forward Mark so he really shouldn't be considered as an option for the front three (I've taken the liberty of re-posting Rurik's table below). Henderson's problem (not talking about his injuries here of course) is that he isn't a defensive midfielder and he isn't a playmaker, he's a workhorse that generally plays on the right for us. he is going to be in direct competition with Wijnaldum, Grujic & Milner and any other CM that comes in between now and the end of the transfer window.

[xtable=skin1]
{thead}
{tr}
{th}Matches as{/th}
{th}M{/th}
{th}G{/th}
{th}A{/th}
{/tr}
{/thead}
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}104{/td}
{td}46{/td}
{td}15{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}48{/td}
{td}15{/td}
{td}7{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Right Wing{/td}
{td}19{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Left Midfield{/td}
{td}18{/td}
{td}8{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Left Wing{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Right Midfield{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
Does that mean that in 104 games as an attacking midfielder he scored 46 goals and had 15 assists? I'll take that :)

Lucas & Flanno are supposedly the two of interest. But would they go there and would Klopp let Flanno go ?

Flanno on loan? A year with Benitez in the championship would do Flanno no harm.

Or a buyback clause?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just thought of this: one common thread about players of Dutch-Suriname origin is that many of them are late bloomers and often they play some of their best football around 30 of even after. Seedorf was voted the best midfielder of the Champions League at 31 and left Milan at 36. Gullit and Rijkaard both came to Milan at age 25 to form the great Dutch trio with Van Basten over the next 5-6 years; Rijkaard won his 3rd Champions League at age 32. Hasselbaink had his best goal-scoring years between ages of 28 and 32. Almost all players on the list I posted above had long careers.

It's almost opposite of Brazilian attacking players who often start declining by 27-28 years old. So if that trend holds, 25 may be the perfect age to sign Wijnaldum – his best years are probably still ahead of him.

Last edited:

[xtable=skin1]
{thead}
{tr}
{th}Matches as{/th}
{th}M{/th}
{th}G{/th}
{th}A{/th}
{/tr}
{/thead}
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}104{/td}
{td}46{/td}
{td}15{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}48{/td}
{td}15{/td}
{td}7{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Right Wing{/td}
{td}19{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Left Midfield{/td}
{td}18{/td}
{td}8{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Left Wing{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Right Midfield{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Well the consensus seems to be that he doesn't work hard enough in midfield but he's not overly suited to playing off the striker, so he would play the wide roles or off the striker at a push, because it gives him less defensive responsibility and gets the best productivity out of him in terms of goal threat. View Rafa's comments earlier too for the same sort of idea about his best use.

Well the consensus seems to be that he doesn't work hard enough in midfield but he's not overly suited to playing off the striker, so he would play the wide roles or off the striker at a push, because it gives him less defensive responsibility and gets the best productivity out of him in terms of goal threat. View Rafa's comments earlier too for the same sort of idea about his best use.

He hasn't had Klopp bawling at him from the sidelines before. I'd back Klopp to improve anybody who comes under his tutelage. Everyone who knows this player well suggests there is an excellent midfielder in there, and his stats suggest he can score loads from an attacking midfield role. He will learn to put a shift in with us.

I decided we can offer Lucas + £20M and Flanno on loan for one season. With the sales of Allen, Benteke, Ibe, Alberto, Skrtel, Etc. We could end up almost even with a much better, more athletic team.

Newcastle want 25-27 mill.
Thats quite much for him. Lets hope we can get it down to at least 20 mill.

I decided we can offer Lucas + £20M and Flanno on loan for one season. With the sales of Allen, Benteke, Ibe, Alberto, Skrtel, Etc. We could end up almost even with a much better, more athletic team.

What about Balotelli, are we going to make a loss on him?

Sent from my little known Chinese branded phone XTX1758C using Tapatalk

Haha.

In answer to your question: probably yes financially (the Chinese are our only hope of avoiding that and I doubt he'll agree to go there) but even then it'll be worth it just to shift his carcass out the door.

I'd have him over any of our midfielders from last season.
He's boss. Don't care about the price as long as we have some left over for a left back.

I think Newcastle paid 18m so if we could settle on that and they return their investment it would be a good deal for us given market pricing.
Is Pogba 5 x the player Wijnaldum is?

I think Dutch is a good way to go this summer with the lack of European football for them they will be fresh and also perhaps not overinflated to quite the degree as some others have been.

I feel like this could be a really good signing for us.

I know its early to talk first 11's and as Ryan often points out its horses for courses but
Karius
Moreno I guess
Matip
Lovren
Clyne

Can
Wijnaldum
Milner

Coutinho
Mane
Sturridge

Looks a significant improvement on last season.
And what does look really impressive is our depth with the exception of full backs where we do still appear very light
Mignolet
Flanagan
The Hound
Sakho
Gomez

Allen
Lucas
Henderson

Firmino
Origi
Ings

Still with
Markovic
Balotelli
Grujic
Benteke
Lallana

In the wings.

I know we have been here many times and saying on paper in July things are looking good but there is pace, power, youth, skill and aggression all over the place in this squad.

I still wonder about leadership and crucially goals with Sturridge always a doubt with fitness.

But overall the ins look good and the depth is better than it has been for a long while.

Well i didn't notice all of our squad get suddenly better, did you ?

I did notice improvements in many players, though undoubtedly this was more pronounced in players that fitted the style of footy he wants to implement. In some cases there were dramatic improvements such as with Lovren, Origi and even Banana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom